Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm back on this bullshit so I went to bump the PPT thread but it fell into archives.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is basically the sickest fighting game out there, i play on switch but it's out on steam now and i know there are imps that play that version.

Go here to learn how to play vs tetris
http://harddrop.com/

Go here to learn how to puyo
https://puyonexus.com/

Surprisingly helpful official videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w91x6S-tI8

So share your stories and cool strats and I'll see you in the ring!

Oh if you want to talk about puzzle fighter or panel de pon or other head to head puzzle games here feel free I guess I'd be happy to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If you don't want to buy PPT, play tetris, or both: there's this

http://puyovs.net/download.php

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I tried to learn puyo but I'm way too lazy to figure out how to set up chains and stuff so I'm terrible at it.

I've got it on Switch and am always down to play but I'm not particularly good unless it's just Tetris and that's kinda boring.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

If you don't want to buy PPT, play tetris, or both: there's this

http://puyovs.net/download.php

Thanks for the *Important* reminder.

Is there a guide or tutorial for adding custom chars? I got some ideas.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Thanks for the *Important* reminder.

Is there a guide or tutorial for adding custom chars? I got some ideas.

There's a character folder editor way down at the bottom of this page.

https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Puyo_Puyo_VS_2_Mods

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I’m about to get 2nd place in a 5-person swap tournament.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I came within one point of resetting the losers bracket.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

American McGay posted:

just Tetris and that's kinda boring.

What the...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

In Training posted:

What the...
I'd be down to play regular Tetris all day long but in PPT most people wanna play swap as it's the most "fun" mode.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'd be down to play regular Tetris all day long but in PPT most people wanna play swap as it's the most "fun" mode.

Swap is in fact the most fun but we can do vs sometime, sure. It's not great for 4 player casual games imo cause without swap combo fuckery available the weaker players have even less of a chance.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
fusion mode :twisted:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This is it. It's time to learn T-spins.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Been practicing albatross, feels powerful.

Anyone interested in doing a 4 mans on Switch?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i've been playing panel de pon on my 3ds since tetris attack isn't on it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What's the highest you've seen in ranked PPT? I had a 22000, 60th in world last night. He wasn't playing serious, he'd build a stack at inhuman speed then let his Tetrises soft drop while waiting to see what I desperately responded with.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
ive gotten 4wide baptisms from wumbo a couple of times

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
https://twitch.tv/classictetris

I got into the bracket for this. Starts in an hour

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
Kinda weird event, must have been difficult to concentrate with that live band in the background.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I was more distracted by the fact that it was my first time gaming on stream.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

dragon enthusiast posted:

ive gotten 4wide baptisms from wumbo a couple of times

lol baptisms

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm still terrible at this but I've been watching mid-high level players play this on Twitch all morning and it's just fascinating to me. The way a fight between a good Tetris player and a good Puyo player can still be so balanced. Such a good game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This twitch chat is crazy...

I just wanted to watch some Tetris man...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm still terrible at this but I've been watching mid-high level players play this on Twitch all morning and it's just fascinating to me. The way a fight between a good Tetris player and a good Puyo player can still be so balanced. Such a good game.

It's all Tetris at tip top level but otherwise it's surprisingly good. Where I am Puyo actually feels a little stronger since it's hard to score that final knockout blow as Tetris.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

P-Mack posted:

It's all Tetris at tip top level but otherwise it's surprisingly good. Where I am Puyo actually feels a little stronger since it's hard to score that final knockout blow as Tetris.
The guy I was watching wasn't exactly super high tier (250 world rank I think) but it seemed like he was getting pushed around by good Puyo players a bit. It seems like it's easier to set up a super chain and then hope you can set it off. Meanwhile a good Tetris player always has to be on their feet trying to keep up with the junk pile.

Either way it's still super fun to watch even if my brain can't process it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
matchup is stupid and every patch sega has put out to try and "balance" it has just made people hate it more

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

matchup is stupid and every patch sega has put out to try and "balance" it has just made people hate it more

I kind of agree with everything Steelix said in that epic 50 page salt post but at the same time I'm still having fun.

Making the patch changes affect puyo vs puyo was really dumb though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Omg

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Got a weird feeling I'm gonna play this tonight.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone have the slightest clue what to do in PvT or TvP? I'm way worse in those than I am in regular matches.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Go faster than your opponent

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pay attention to when you're getting dumped on and make sure to dump back.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

American McGay posted:

Pay attention to when you're getting dumped on and make sure to dump back.

hes needs to master the devil's bowel technique

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

trying to jack off posted:

hes needs to master the devil's bowel technique

lmao

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just want some advice on setting up counter chains and instead I get vilely trolled.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
stop laying your puyos flat and take advantage of verticality

for example if you bout to get hit with 1-2 rows of garbage

if you lay your next piece down flat your trigger gets buried

lay it vertically instead and you still have access to your chain

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks, I've sort of been working that out but I'm wondering, are there are any set opening forms better suited vs Tetris than GTR? I see some people make a big three wide tail structure on the right side right off the bat.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
also i see a bunch of bad players all the time try to match colors with the one that just got buried

like yeah i guess you can dig with that after a while but its way easier if you leave at least one color of separation

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Thanks, I've sort of been working that out but I'm wondering, are there are any set opening forms better suited vs Tetris than GTR? I see some people make a big three wide tail structure on the right side right off the bat.

that's called devil counter
https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Counter#Evil_Counter

its kinda hard to build though so a lot of people attempt holy counter instead
https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Counter#Holy_Counter

the other counter setups on that page aren't really practical unless you get really bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

also i see a bunch of bad players all the time try to match colors with the one that just got buried

like yeah i guess you can dig with that after a while but its way easier if you leave at least one color of separation

Yes, this is another lesson I've been learning the hard way. It's absolutely beautiful when a little 2 or 3 chain continues through the garbage and hits a trigger that got buried what feels like ages ago.

(And then you die anyway cause of some 4wide horseshit)

e: that holy counter is exactly what I needed. I understand the basic idea of the counter but having an ideal form to follow instead of flailing with improvisation is really gonna help. Thanks!

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 10, 2018