Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i bounced off it pretty hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it isnt that ugly lmao

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the sprites arent that bad but that font is loving awful

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tollymain posted:

it isnt that ugly lmao
maybe not for people who play oldschool RLs but to average people, this looks like ancient janky WRPG # one million

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

well of souls tier graphics.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It looks fine and is also a good game. You are all fools and weaklings :colbert:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PostNouveau posted:

I know it's probably super good, but goddamn it looks like it was made in the '80s. Y'all rave about it all the time, but I still haven't bought it because it looks like total rear end.

What were they thinking? Of course it didn't sell.

I would accept this anywhere but the roguelike thread lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's the advantage to higher terror level in synthetik? I don't see why I shouldn't just take the low terror level teleporter option every time.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
More enemies > more credits? I haven't seen any other benefits.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Digirat posted:

What's the advantage to higher terror level in synthetik? I don't see why I shouldn't just take the low terror level teleporter option every time.

Better/more chests/shrines etc. Better poo poo in the chests too iirc. It's basically always worth it imo, it's a pretty significant difference in your eventual power level.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does terror level affect the quality of enemies you get in the disco room?

Oh, and while we're on the topic, what the hell is with those fuzzy white guys in the fourth area? They seem to take several times as much punishment as any other non-boss enemy in the game, but sometimes they die easily. Is there some trick to getting my shots to reliably hurt them?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RyokoTK posted:

Same, I’m very interested in the concept but the visuals are so unappealing I just can’t hack it.

Did you start playing RLs with Dredmor or not? Honest question.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does terror level affect the quality of enemies you get in the disco room?

Oh, and while we're on the topic, what the hell is with those fuzzy white guys in the fourth area? They seem to take several times as much punishment as any other non-boss enemy in the game, but sometimes they die easily. Is there some trick to getting my shots to reliably hurt them?

They seem to only actually be hittable while they're reloading. But items that passively activate like unstable current always seem to be able to hit them.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Explosives also always hurt them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i actually like the sprites in card quest, theyre very charming and have a lot of character

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

And hey, at least it's not Dream Quest. What a good game. What a godawful artstyle.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

should i get wizard of legend or 20xx ? yeah i know they're pretty different lol

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Infinity Gaia posted:

And hey, at least it's not Dream Quest. What a good game. What a godawful artstyle.

lets be fair to dream quest. it doesnt have an artstyle to be bad

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

goferchan posted:

should i get wizard of legend or 20xx ? yeah i know they're pretty different lol

I'm a big fan of both, and it depends on your taste. WoL is top down with a bit of twinstick shooter sensibility. It's a bit light on content, but I still enjoyed the 22 hours I put into it and will revisit it in the future. The main crux of the game is the absurd amount of spell combos you can play with.

As for 20XX, ask yourself this question: "Do I love the Mega Man X series?" If yes, 20XX is well worth the cash since it plays almost identically to those games with some fun twists. You can make some really absurd characters with a good run, and it's gotten two DLC characters that expand the roster beyond "X/Zero with the numbers filed off."

Both games also have 2 man co-op, though only 20XX has online co-op. There are options for online shenanigans in WoL (Such as Parsec) but it's not built into the game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Actually I forgot about Moonlighter, any thoughts on that one too? Itching for something new on ps4 . I heard Swords of Ditto is bad right?

edit: apparently it just got a big update addressing community feedback but i still dunno

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goferchan posted:

Actually I forgot about Moonlighter, any thoughts on that one too? Itching for something new on ps4 . I heard Swords of Ditto is bad right?

edit: apparently it just got a big update addressing community feedback but i still dunno

Moonlighter is Recettear without any of the charm.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Pretty much. There are instances of actual synergies as well, like combining weapons that get a bonus on the last shot in the magazine with the item that reloads one bullet whenever you roll, or the crown that shoots bullets in four directions plus an item that gives you homing ammo. The game's "Synergy" system is really just a reward for finding themed sets of items.

That's cool but it doesn't really fix the problem I'm encountering where you still have no functional control over what you find. There's no choices outside of 'buy this' or 'open this blind chest'. Drops for ammo or keys are more common but I still don't feel like I'm contributing anything strategic.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stelas posted:

That's cool but it doesn't really fix the problem I'm encountering where you still have no functional control over what you find. There's no choices outside of 'buy this' or 'open this blind chest'. Drops for ammo or keys are more common but I still don't feel like I'm contributing anything strategic.

You generally won't have enough credits to buy everything, or upgrade everything, so selecting your loadout is a matter of picking the best set of gear out of what you find and upgrading it appropriately.

Same goes for guns you find.

Speaking of, you will eventually unlock the ability to make certain guns appear more often, if you find some that you really enjoy using.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Beamed posted:

Regardless of the answer to that question, it helps explain why it didn't sell well on Steam.

I bought Card Quest on my phone and have alot of trouble reading the font TBH. It's super tiny with lots of small buttons. Needs to be a bit better optimized IMHO (this is for Android fyi).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

victrix posted:

You generally won't have enough credits to buy everything, or upgrade everything, so selecting your loadout is a matter of picking the best set of gear out of what you find and upgrading it appropriately.

Same goes for guns you find.

Speaking of, you will eventually unlock the ability to make certain guns appear more often, if you find some that you really enjoy using.

They're talking about EtG, not Synthetik.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

But it reminded me to try Synthetik, so that works out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

Regardless of the answer to that question, it helps explain why it didn't sell well on Steam.

I bought Card Quest on my phone and have alot of trouble reading the font TBH. It's super tiny with lots of small buttons. Needs to be a bit better optimized IMHO (this is for Android fyi).

Yeah same on my iphone , i've gotten used to it but there was a real learning curve at first. Once you're familiar with the cards in your deck you basically never need to read the text on anything anyways, but it could still really use a font change

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Beamed posted:

DoomRL is probably the first traditional roguelike that I actually sat down and enjoyed and played to a win. I don't really play the genre and if it doesn't have tiles it gets a hard pass from me. I'm mostly in this thread because there isn't a separate thread for roguelites, which is a genre I enjoy quite a lot more.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i honestly think the art for card quest is fine to me, but at the same time i wouldn't really fault someone for scoping it out and passing on it because of the way it looks overall from the store page

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

goferchan posted:

I would accept this anywhere but the roguelike thread lol
Bear in mind this came up as part of "why didn't this do very well on steam?"

appearances and first impressions matter on steam more now than ever with the endless oversaturation of games

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it seems to me that you want to do your marketing outside steam these days

but again black shell media lmao

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo Chasm is out. I backed that game like five years ago.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Holy poo poo Chasm is out. I backed that game like five years ago.

I got really excited for a moment then realized I was, in fact, remembering correctly and it only comes out on the 31st. You monster.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tollymain posted:

I don’t think it’s a marketing issue if I don’t like the art style and font and color choices.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean the part where steam is swamped in endless waves of garbage and unknown people w good games have a hellish time being noticed, but keep on keeping on i guess

i wont defend the font but you seem to be conflating a personal dislike of the artstyle with overall marketability

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tollymain posted:

I mean, it's not so much that you want to market outside steam, as it is tha tit's been years since you could just plop your game on Steam and expect that to sell the game for you with no effort. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

I got really excited for a moment then realized I was, in fact, remembering correctly and it only comes out on the 31st. You monster.

Oh, sorry. I got my backer email and it's installed on my computer. I guess the non-backer release is delayed slightly. :shrug:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

DoomRL is probably the first traditional roguelike that I actually sat down and enjoyed and played to a win. I don't really play the genre and if it doesn't have tiles it gets a hard pass from me. I'm mostly in this thread because there isn't a separate thread for roguelites, which is a genre I enjoy quite a lot more.

Card Quest is also significantly uglier than good ASCII roguelikes, like DoomRL.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Synthetik's Heavy Flak Cannon is insane. I haven't had to fire anything else in a long time despite having 300 terror, taking all high alert branches, and being 2 bosses into the second loop. It clears rooms like nothing else while being much faster to fire and reload that any of the rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

:crossarms: But how?
The Mjolnir and Rail Gun (with the semi-auto fire mod because its default fire mode is ridiculously ammo inefficient) are also similarly good for destroying rooms after looping, though. Speaking of the Mjolnir, I have no loving clue what its alternate ammo type does ("Inverse Compound").