Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

:psyduck: ??? They're both talking cartoon animals, what are you getting at here?

Talking cartoon animals with completely opposite personalities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I Before E posted:

Talking cartoon animals with completely opposite personalities

:thejoke:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Insurrectionist posted:

Battle Tendency is more fun than Stardust Crusaders tbh

I only read the manga though

The anime isn't much different. Most of Stardust Crusaders is "Let's wander around aimlessly nowhere near Egypt OH NO AN ENEMY STAND USER" for like, loving forever. Once they actually got to Egypt it got better.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

VolticSurge posted:

The anime isn't much different. Most of Stardust Crusaders is "Let's wander around aimlessly nowhere near Egypt OH NO AN ENEMY STAND USER" for like, loving forever. Once they actually got to Egypt it got better.

Battle Tendency is the characters train until the plot comes to them. Before that they just wander as well.

BT is a mess that is mainly held together by Joseph’s charisma.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
how is JoJo. i keep hearing good things but i am not a anime person. the most japanese i get is kojima and the yakuza series.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s fun but you still gotta deal with typical anime bullshit and deus ex machinas to defeat the enemies constantly. I like it but it’s definitely “””””””””” good ””””””””” with a bunch of caveats.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the most japanese i get is kojima and the yakuza series.

Good news, you like anime.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Old Swerdlow posted:

It’s fun but you still gotta deal with typical anime bullshit and deus ex machinas to defeat the enemies constantly. I like it but it’s definitely “””””””””” good ””””””””” with a bunch of caveats.

yeah, i mean i watched a bunch of fist of the north star and for the most part thats like the same thing ad infinitive. its still fun to see mad max style bruce lee make peoples heads explode.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Good news, you like anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Is it terminal?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how is JoJo. i keep hearing good things but i am not a anime person. the most japanese i get is kojima and the yakuza series.

to enjoy JoJo to its fullest it helps to appreciate fashion, expressive posing, and ludicrous situations that defy explanation

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It is both less and more anime than that. Instead of having strange side conversations about their favorite movies in the middle of hiding in a cardboard box you just get people making their fighting willpower beat up a plate of spaghetti because it's suspicious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It is both less and more anime than that. Instead of having strange side conversations about their favorite movies in the middle of hiding in a cardboard box you just get people making their fighting willpower beat up a plate of spaghetti because it's suspicious.

CYBEReris posted:

to enjoy JoJo to its fullest it helps to appreciate fashion, expressive posing, and ludicrous situations that defy explanation

i might like it then.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i might like it then.
Going by that you might also like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
A show both extremely overhyped and also worth it's reputation, you just have to accept that the scale near the end is downright bonkers.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the beginning of jojo is basically a fotns derivative and grows into its own identity from there

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, the Yakuza series is a pretty good comparison. Probably took some inspiration from JJBA, too (most things do, after all).

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zedd posted:

Going by that you might also like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
A show both extremely overhyped and also worth it's reputation, you just have to accept that the scale near the end is downright bonkers.

You also have to accept that it is basically male id up the rear end, so if you're turned off by constant wobbly tits fanservice, it's... not that great.

ETA: I'll admit I haven't seen TTGL in years, but my initial exposure left me never wanting to see anything about it again, so...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Yeah that's fair, the ladies while actually being allowed to be cool (which is a step up from most anime) pay for it with some unnecessary jiggles unfortunately.
It slightly balanced out by the amount of shirtless dudes, but it's still sorta shite.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

You also have to accept that it is basically male id up the rear end, so if you're turned off by constant wobbly tits fanservice, it's... not that great.

And yet, strangely, it is somewhat more restrained in that regard than Imaishi’s later work. I’m kind of surprised Trigger can have studio tours without him humping the guests’ legs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zedd posted:

Yeah that's fair, the ladies while actually being allowed to be cool (which is a step up from most anime) pay for it with some unnecessary jiggles unfortunately.
It slightly balanced out by the amount of shirtless dudes, but it's still sorta shite.

Yeah, I don't know, I like the shows with cool ladies who don't have to pay with the jiggles, yaknow?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Zedd posted:

I mean, it depends on the anime, but the episodes I watched went from "Hey, here's an awesome lady with a giant gun to save the day!" to immediately "NOW LOOK AT HER rear end!!!" and then proceeded to do absolutely nothing with a character who would take on giant robots with a giant gun and just used her as titties for the rest of the show.

Ironically, if you watch anime from the 80s/90s you can find a lot more badass women and a lot less obnoxious fanservice, even with the more sexist attitudes, and even in stuff that's explicitly titty shows. It's gotten pretty dire since they started catering directly to the figure-buying waifu demographic.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I do agree It'd be cool if all ladies could be Emma from Zeta gundam as opposed to fanservice poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i might like it then.

Like Metal Gear it does have some :yikes: elements to it. MGSV has Quiet and the audio logs of Paz and Chico being tortured, the whole thing with the Beauty and Beast squad in MGS4, Jojo has the protagonist willingly working with a nazi because the super vampire appears to be the bigger threat of the two since it can eat people by just touching them. And there was that orangutan creeping on that girl who... I'm not sure how old she was supposed to be. Eleven maybe?

And then on the other hand there's the poo poo like Raiden vs Vamp which is neat and cool and poo poo. Like the guy who controls the weather and does more stuff with it than just shoot lightning everywhere. Like make it rain poisonous frogs.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I don't know, I like the shows with cool ladies who don't have to pay with the jiggles, yaknow?

I think Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood might still be the best anime about that so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I’ve heard great things about Seirei no Moribito, which is about a tough-as-nails thirty-year-old spearwoman guarding a young prince on a magical quest. It’s directed by Kamiyama Keiji, who did stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, and Jin-Roh, with some of the best animators of the time backing him up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, the Yakuza series is a pretty good comparison. Probably took some inspiration from JJBA, too (most things do, after all).
I think Kojima also works because like him, Araki really lets you know that he loves, especially when it comes to fashion, movies, music, and random trivia facts.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Darth Walrus posted:

I’ve heard great things about Seirei no Moribito, which is about a tough-as-nails thirty-year-old spearwoman guarding a young prince on a magical quest. It’s directed by Kamiyama Keiji, who did stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, and Jin-Roh, with some of the best animators of the time backing him up.

Seirei no Moribito is very good (disclaimer I haven't seen it since it came out), but I just wanted to make sure people aren't going to watch it expecting an action anime because if I recall, it can be quite slow. Not like, in a bad way, and it makes the actual fight scenes more impactful, but it deals a lot more with character and setting poo poo.

It'd be like trying to sell GITSSAC as this cyberpunk anime with this kickass cyborg woman with a stealth suit and there are sentient tanks and then watching the episode that's basically a chat room dialogue and realizing that's more representative of the anime as a whole.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

i love them as kinda as kinda of cultural showcase. like a "crime" story written by and for Japanese consumers. i am used to western crime stories and games and its interesting to see the differences between. at the very least you learn about Japanese squatting laws and weird real estate stuff.

it reminds me of the judge dee books. the original one was a edited translation of a original chinese mystery novel.

RareAcumen posted:

Like Metal Gear it does have some :yikes: elements to it. MGSV has Quiet and the audio logs of Paz and Chico being tortured, the whole thing with the Beauty and Beast squad in MGS4, Jojo has the protagonist willingly working with a nazi because the super vampire appears to be the bigger threat of the two since it can eat people by just touching them. And there was that orangutan creeping on that girl who... I'm not sure how old she was supposed to be. Eleven maybe?

And then on the other hand there's the poo poo like Raiden vs Vamp which is neat and cool and poo poo. Like the guy who controls the weather and does more stuff with it than just shoot lightning everywhere. Like make it rain poisonous frogs.

japanese nerd poo poo has always been weird/problematic with women. personaly, i kinda just take it in stride at least with the good stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

speaking of crime games.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-13-kane-and-lynch-2-is-nasty-pointless-and-well-worth-playing

its a little old but eurogamer did an interesting article on Kane and lynch 2. its bad game but its fascinating presentation and utter bleakness/horribleness. if the gameplay had been better, it would have been pretty decent, even good though with how hosed up it is, it wouldnt be for everyone.

apparently, there is other articles about dog days too

https://www.thumbsticks.com/a-case-for-kane-lynch-2-dog-days-part-one/

https://www.thumbsticks.com/a-case-for-kane-lynch-2-dog-days-part-two/

http://xanderkishblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/kane-and-lynch-2-anti-shooter-before.html

in a way, see it as a companion piece to Spec Ops: The Line. Both are short, sick, twisted, and clunky TPSes with metacommentary on the genre—or in Dog Days' case—anti-commentary.
Whereas as The Line is moralism; it tries to make you question your various actions, Dog Days is utter nihlism.

"gently caress IT, JUST KEEP GOING! WE'LL FIGURE OUT THAT poo poo LATER, KANE!" That's the mantra of the game. Just keep moving. Just keep killing. Don't dwell on it. If you stop you're going to die. refusal to provide neat catharsis or clean moralizing, thus making the game “truly about bad guys, truly about violence.”. its interesting.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 30, 2018

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

RareAcumen posted:

Stroheim is the worst part of Battle Tendency. The weird part about him is that, at least in the anime, he's introduced as being a bad man who taunts the people he's going to sacrifice for science experiments, and then once the Pillar Men are introduced, the narrative drops that characterization and casts him in a softer light. At least he had the decency to die young.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Everyone knows the best anime is Cromartie High School though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well duh. It has Freddie.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

RareAcumen posted:

I think Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood might still be the best anime about that so far.

Turns out having a female author does wonders for that!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Testekill posted:

Everyone knows the best anime is Cromartie High School though.

That's a weird way to spell Mob Psycho 100

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nerd poo poo has always been weird/problematic with women. personaly, i kinda just take it in stride at least with the good stuff.

let's be real here

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
MGS is equal opportunity I mean have you SEEN Snake's badonk?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
So I finally got back to covering classic Something Awful today. This is part 1 of Martin Random's 'fecal lasagna' story. I always knew I'd have to bring this to Youtube someday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Dj5ZMO7Do

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Leal posted:

MGS is equal opportunity I mean have you SEEN Snake's badonk?

Kojima just loves butts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dmboogie posted:

let's be real here

i mean its true. alot of japanese games have that kinda poo poo even the good/progressiveness ones like MGS. its make or break for people. for me, it depends. MGS i can stomach it because their is genuin good ideas/gameplay/story/themes. but other stuff, nah. i mean yoko taro makes all his weird poo poo part of themes and the plot, so thats cool, as does kojima(with varying success.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its true. alot of japanese games have that kinda poo poo even the good/progressiveness ones like MGS. its make or break for people. for me, it depends. MGS i can stomach it because their is genuin good ideas/gameplay/story/themes. but other stuff, nah. i mean yoko taro makes all his weird poo poo part of themes and the plot, so thats cool, as does kojima(with varying success.)

Pay closer attention to that post.

Being weird about women is a property of nerd fiction, not just Japanese nerd fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RareAcumen posted:

kojima is the japanese david cage, both in his gigantic creepiness towards women and in his writing being fuckawful but somehow getting a baffling amount of praise anyway