Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Everybody Hurts.

'Cause everybody cries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That picture doesn't make me sad anymore

DC is happy, a two division champion and killing it on commentary all at the same time

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Thanks to the steroid cheater being banned yeah. USADA was a good thing

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
id be cool with poirier/ferguson on the khabib/connor card. he deserves a shot but if he doesnt wanna wait thats a sick fight

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Thanks to the steroid cheater being banned yeah. USADA was a good thing

but aldo just fought last night :confused:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Skip My Posts posted:

id be cool with poirier/ferguson on the khabib/connor card. he deserves a shot but if he doesnt wanna wait thats a sick fight

we'd end up with conor-poirier again which might be interesting, but i think conor would starch him again

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

last night's ufc on fox was the lowest viewed ufc on fox card ever which is really disappointing considering how fuckin stacked that card was. i really think this is a byproduct of way too many ufc shows per year.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

but aldo just fought last night :confused:

The steroid cheater dumb enough to get caught again.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

STONE COLD 64 posted:

last night's ufc on fox was the lowest viewed ufc on fox card ever which is really disappointing considering how fuckin stacked that card was. i really think this is a byproduct of way too many ufc shows per year.

that's incredible. last night was one of the first shows i was really looking forward to seeing in a while

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I think if the ufc held the same number of events per year currently as they did about 5 years ago, we would be posting in an MMA golden age.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
If three former champs can't entice people to tune in, then I don't know what will.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also early reports are the cormier/miocic ppv did about 280k ppv buys, which is way under projection.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The UFC is suffering from something that Bellator has figured out- the average casual viewer doesn't have a good sense of how long an elite fighter stays at a peak and/or a good passage of time. You know how when we hear "Rampage took the UFC title from Chuck 11 years ago" our reaction is "wow time flies and Chuck is old"? Many casual viewers don't even realize that Chuck isn't still an elite fighter, and that's why Bellator is happy to pay for Chuck-Tito 3 - name recognition trumps everything.

So last night we had 3 former champs on the card - one defended his title zero times and is probably best known outside of this thread as that guy McGregor beat, one is known as that guy who nerds say is awesome but always has disappointing and boring fights, and the third is a girl with an unpronouncable name. Nobody has seen them fight or remembers them anymore, because for most people Rampage is still relevant and Brock is still the champion. I've encountered these people in the wild. It's strange. They go to bars and see fights like Condit-Lawler and call them boring because there wasn't a first-round KO. I don't know what they want to see, but those people won't watch a card like last night's.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

STONE COLD 64 posted:

also early reports are the cormier/miocic ppv did about 280k ppv buys, which is way under projection.

Big Dave said estimates are now at 380k a couple days ago. So its not the greatest but its one of their top PPVs of the year so far.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CommonShore posted:

The UFC is suffering from something that Bellator has figured out- the average casual viewer doesn't have a good sense of how long an elite fighter stays at a peak and/or a good passage of time. You know how when we hear "Rampage took the UFC title from Chuck 11 years ago" our reaction is "wow time flies and Chuck is old"? Many casual viewers don't even realize that Chuck isn't still an elite fighter, and that's why Bellator is happy to pay for Chuck-Tito 3 - name recognition trumps everything.

Pretty much. There is a reason that while the UFC was breaking out with TUF and putting on cards featuring young, up-and-coming stars and their current champions, they were also making goddamn sure you got old but notable names like Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie or public attractions like Sean Gannon in there.

The real reason Bellator is scummy isn't that they're doing the same thing, it's that they still tried to do it with Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie a decade-plus later.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The biggest issue here is oversaturation IMO. There’s so many cards that nobody is making time for all of them anymore and instead of people trying to schedule around a UFC card, they’re just catching it when they happen to be free and if they’re busy that night, oh well, there’s another one next week.

It also leads to issues with people not being able to follow the progression of people’s careers. In the GSP and Anderson cases, people basically saw all of their fights leading up to them peaking because cards were infrequent enough that people could watch everything. It’s much harder for a person to develop an attachment to a fighter over time if they’re statistically less likely to see all of their fights.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The biggest issue here is oversaturation IMO. There’s so many cards that nobody is making time for all of them anymore and instead of people trying to schedule around a UFC card, they’re just catching it when they happen to be free and if they’re busy that night, oh well, there’s another one next week.

It also leads to issues with people not being able to follow the progression of people’s careers. In the GSP and Anderson cases, people basically saw all of their fights leading up to them peaking because cards were infrequent enough that people could watch everything. It’s much harder for a person to develop an attachment to a fighter over time if they’re statistically less likely to see all of their fights.

Also having too many cards means they have to come up with more divisions (good thing overall, IMO) or interim belts (bad thing IMO) so every PPV can have title fights. I think it's watering down overall the quality of the product. The belts don't mean poo poo, since they award interim belts like crazy and then strip real or interim champions whenever it's useful.

And this problem isn't going away either, servicing that debt can't be easy and they're not gonna put on fewer cards.

Oh and fight cards used to have 8 fights, now it's like 13.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is it for me. I saw every card a few years ago and I enjoyed following the fighters I liked. I got excited for them

Now it's just random fighter #44 vs random fighter # 66

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
There are too many fights, too many important fights buried on undercards and events take like 9 hours with endless promos and commercials. UFC watered down their product and made it torture to watch.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

maybe the espn shows will be better

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

handsome only face posted:

maybe the espn shows will be better

I wouldn't be shocked if there's more cards once the ESPN deal starts. They aren't paying 300 million a year to have an event every three weeks.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the reebok deal and banning individual sponsors killed a lot of guy's visual style and now it really is red versus blue a ton of the time. it seems very corporate now instead of catering to an audience and expressing a point of view, even if that audience was METAL MULISHA and CORN NUTS

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

the reebok deal and banning individual sponsors killed a lot of guy's visual style and now it really is red versus blue a ton of the time. it seems very corporate now instead of catering to an audience and expressing a point of view, even if that audience was METAL MULISHA and CORN NUTS

It hurt the gayness of the sport when people stopped having condom depot written on their asses.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I miss the goofy NASCAR looking shorts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had to miss the latest show, but the card looked great, was it good? I've managed to avoid most results but just wondering if there was anything can't miss on there?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

That's crazy, it was such a good card.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

Tuesday night fights has proven way more palatable for me to watch with some friends tbh

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left. Do you think, in a roundabout way, White's association and occasional, half hearted defence of Trump is somehow hurting their numbers? I mean, there's a lot of reasons the UFC is hurting, but could that be part of it? It's already perceived by a lot of people as the chosen sport of the far right, even though, according to that article, it isn't.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Their numbers suck because the big stars never fight or they retired and there’s 40 cards a year, and all the TV cards take 5 hours to watch 4 fights.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Guys, do you think that there's any way I can shoehorn TRUMP BAD into everything all the time forever?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an article a few years ago on the close correlation between someone's favourtie sports and their political affiliation/engagement. PGA was, unsurprisingly, very right wing, but UFC fans were, on the whole, way over on the left. Do you think, in a roundabout way, White's association and occasional, half hearted defence of Trump is somehow hurting their numbers? I mean, there's a lot of reasons the UFC is hurting, but could that be part of it? It's already perceived by a lot of people as the chosen sport of the far right, even though, according to that article, it isn't.

Unless you can find evidence that Trump spiked Jon Jones' gas station dick medicine or made a holographic Conor throw a chair through a bus window then no

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Byolante posted:

Trump spiked Jon Jones' gas station dick medicine

Jones: Your honor, I have a new defense prepared....

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Disgusting Coward posted:

Guys, do you think that there's any way I can shoehorn TRUMP BAD into everything all the time forever?

What a very odd response.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It was also a Saturday night in the middle of summer, awful timeslot for ratings.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I cant believe John McCain's early opposition to MMA was yet another voter disenfranchisement tactic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Byolante posted:

Unless you can find evidence that Trump spiked Jon Jones' gas station dick medicine or made a holographic Conor throw a chair through a bus window then no

Well, a few years ago, in 2011, long before Conor was around, the average PPV, including cards headlined by Frankie Edgar or Jose Aldo, tended to do about 300k buys. Jones would spike that up to half a mil on average. But 250-300k seemed to be the floor. That's now what a stacked card like 227 doesn't quite do. Numbers are generally down, and stars not fighting is only part of it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The UFC just has too many events which is a thing Poirier pointed out. Nobody will be talking about his win over Alvarez in a week because there's another event. That's not a horrible thing but it does contribute to the "fatigue" people are having with the events.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I still try to watch most of the cards but the ones that are on Fox Sports 1 and go on for six hours are torture to sit through. The brisk pace of the Fight Pass stuff is a breath of fresh air in comparison, Tuesday Night Contenders fits 5 fights, human interest fluff pieces for each of the fighters, post fight interviews, the Dana selection process, etc. all in a two hour slot. My one hope from the ESPN deal is that their TV cards are trimmed down significantly.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah definitely just too much quantity and not enough quality. You know poo poo is weird when you read this subforum daily and events somehow sneak up on you that you didn't know were happening. I can't imagine many people have the time or desire nowadays to follow the (small and short) buildup to the non-mega cards because holy poo poo there are so many.

That and like people have said the drat things start at like 6 pm eastern and go until like 1 am eastern and you just get burned out. I enjoy watching prelims and stuff but it still feels like too much. That and a huge percentage of fights get cancelled for injury and weight cutting so even the cards you do look forward to fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
post the made up article

• Locked thread