Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah actually Punisher is probably one of the best seasons of TV ever imo. Please name other action-dramas that deliver as hard in Season 1.

yea, those ten episodes of Frank and Micro's wife longingly wanting to gently caress each other were unparalleled

also the interminably repetitive scenes of Frank imagining Maria touching his face or whatever. prestige television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Aphrodite posted:

Like any other low budget show you’ve never heard of that somehow ran for 4 seasons on Cinemax.

put some respect on Banshee's name you son of a bitch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

put some respect on Banshee's name you son of a bitch

It'a also Strike Back!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Soothing Vapors posted:

yea, those ten episodes of Frank and Micro's wife longingly wanting to gently caress each other were unparalleled

also the interminably repetitive scenes of Frank imagining Maria touching his face or whatever. prestige television

Who actually wanted a scene of Micro and his wife doing a quicky while Frank was being tortured?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

It'a also Strike Back!

Strike Back made me actively question Alan Sepinwall's taste. What a loving ugly, odious show.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Serious marvel is fine; I love AOS but not every series has to be that. Gritty is fine, if done well and consistently. That’s the key. The minute quake or the finger snap or Spider-Man shows up, punishers ptsd becomings cute and the consistency is gone. Man up, bitch, Spider-Man got shot with a death laser. Off a plain. And he’s like 15. Quake has killed like a million people and doesn’t even care.

The problem Netflix has is the same DC films have: is the source material often strays into ‘comic’ territory, and an exploration of the ethics of vigilantism and balancing contradictory religious teachings when in a powered position gets sorta undercut the minute a blind ninja digs up a dinosaur bone that’s holding up New York. You either break from the source and deal with the backlash, or you tone it down and end up with a mess. Or you do what the comics do, and go ‘oops, new universe’ and only bring up continuity when it helps the plot. That’s where it’s ultimately going, I suspect that’s their way out of this continuity problem.

It’s why defenders was so jarring; there’s no way you can authentically write luke and JJ into kun lun and the Hand without having them eye roll their way through the whole thing.

The true JJ story would of been she eye rolls, bails, gets hammered, wakes up to find everyone is dead, launched an guilt led investigation haunted by her own failings and cynasim. But you can’t do that obviously, so we got characters actively ‘wtf’ing on screen throughout followed by no mention into s2. Tone is important in storytelling, turns out!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Strike Back made me actively question Alan Sepinwall's taste. What a loving ugly, odious show.

Not all his other really bad opinions?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bust Rodd posted:

I would argue the opposite, that Daredevil s1 was such a juggernaught precisely because there was so little goofy comic book influence.

Agree with this as well. DDs1, Punisher and JJs1 are the consensus "best" shows and, not speaking for everyone, but for me they were good having them relatively grounded really added to my enjoyment.

The things that separate the good Netflix shows seem to center around subject matter that doesn't gently caress too hard with suspension of disbelief and also REALLY strong performances.

I like the Netflix series having "street" elements and basically staying in their respective shows' wheelhouse. I prefer when comics sort of "separate" the heroes like this too.

EDIT: drat. Guess it's fashionable now to throw down on really good Netflix shows. gently caress the haters. DDs1 and Punisher were loving great.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I loved both seasons of Luke Cage, even though s2 had a shitload of reggae in the soundtrack which is like the only genre of music I actively dislike. I like that the show makes a really fantastic balance of 'some serious comic book poo poo' with street level crime, as opposed to DDS2 or Iron Fist, which seem to act like they're embarrassed at all the comic book poo poo going on, or Defenders which very loving aggressively hated itself.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
As a comic book fan I occasionally feel that they don't do enough with the comic book source material. Sometimes that's fine and I really, and I mean REALLY, don't want them to come anywhere close to DC TV levels of characters in suits running around, but I also wish that they'd open the nozzle a bit more for shows like Agents of Shield or Defenders so they aren't fighting youth counselors and old women.

While it's not "Marvel TV" per say, the new season of The Gifted has a trailer out now and it looks better than the first which was decent enough but the antagonist appeared in literally one issue of the comic books as a henchman. gently caress, you're using this property because it has an inherent fanbase and tons of stories to adapt and they're like "gently caress all that, let's tell our own story and just name one of the characters after one in the comics."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Defenders was embarrassing on every level, and only the Meachums salvaged Iron Fist. Other than that I've really enjoyed the Netflix Marvel shows.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I'm generally confused when people say the Meachums are the best part of Iron Fist. Not that their plot is all that bad or that the actors involved don't do their best, but it's a plot from a completely different show...some corporate succession drama, jammed into a 70's kung fu exploitation story. The fact it's the most competent plotline really serves to underscore how incompetent the show is in every other regard.

It's like you turned on Suits, or Succession, or Billions, but there's a manchild with a magic hand that fights ninjas poorly sometimes.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Xealot posted:

I'm generally confused when people say the Meachums are the best part of Iron Fist. Not that their plot is all that bad or that the actors involved don't do their best, but it's a plot from a completely different show...some corporate succession drama, jammed into a 70's kung fu exploitation story. The fact it's the most competent plotline really serves to underscore how incompetent the show is in every other regard.

It's like you turned on Suits, or Succession, or Billions, but there's a manchild with a magic hand that fights ninjas poorly sometimes.

mostly for me its down to the fact that they're all fun to watch because they genuinely have some chemistry and play the corporate lords pretty well. especially harold, its delightful watching him just be an insane weirdo with control issues. really the reason the meachums are fun to watch is when they bounce off harold. without him it would be a lot less entertaining

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I would legit watch Suits if it had Megan Markle killing Gina Torres multiple times only for her to keep coming back more evil and insane each time and we watch them grapple with power while each is slipping further into madness.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Whalley posted:

I loved both seasons of Luke Cage, even though s2 had a shitload of reggae in the soundtrack which is like the only genre of music I actively dislike.

What you talkin' bout
You say you don't like the reggae beat?
What you talkin' bout
You say you don't like the reggae beat?
You must be cra-a-a-azy!

I was so happy to hear some serious reggae going on in the show - especially the Max Romeo "Chase the Devil" sequence - and was hoping there would be even more, like some nyabinghi drumming in the score or something

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah actually Punisher is probably one of the best seasons of TV ever imo. Please name other action-dramas that deliver as hard in Season 1.

Punisher s1 isn't even the best season of Punisher

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Punisher s1 isn't even the best season of Punisher

Whew, thank god you dodged actually mentioning which Punisher was Actually GoodTM

We almost had a conversation there.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Iron Fist S2 is 10 episodes instead of 13 like the rest of the Netflix Marvel seasons.

We'll see if the season is better paced with 10 eps, put this theory to the test.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Whew, thank god you dodged actually mentioning which Punisher was Actually GoodTM

We almost had a conversation there.

I'll wait while you work it out

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bust Rodd posted:

I would argue the opposite, that Daredevil s1 was such a juggernaught precisely because there was so little goofy comic book influence.

I mean, I agree that it was grounded, but it also did a lot of things right on its own merits. Matt and Foggy were likeable and fun to watch, they had a believable friendship, and the story was pretty tight and kept the side characters busy doing things that advanced the plot. And the action scenes were pretty fantastic all around, which SHOULD be a given for these shows. I think that, with whatever spark that S1's creative team had, they could have done a more comic-booky story about dragon bones under New York and still put out a really good story.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

Who actually wanted a scene of Micro and his wife doing a quicky while Frank was being tortured?

As long as it was all in slow motion and had some kind of tender ballad in the background, sure!

Xealot posted:

Well it's the only way I would watch a boring show about suitmans (business, not vigilante) so I guess they did good in that respect?

Phenotype posted:

I mean, I agree that it was grounded, but it also did a lot of things right on its own merits. Matt and Foggy were likeable and fun to watch, they had a believable friendship, and the story was pretty tight and kept the side characters busy doing things that advanced the plot. And the action scenes were pretty fantastic all around, which SHOULD be a given for these shows. I think that, with whatever spark that S1's creative team had, they could have done a more comic-booky story about dragon bones under New York and still put out a really good story.

You're right. I think there's a big problem with The Defender's pacing. The plot had to meet several bullet points but in a timeframe which felt jarring compared to each individual show and if they had seeded a couple more hints in each individual show it would have felt better than what we got.

You know, being the same, not so different, etc.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I dunno, the Defender's plot bulletpoints are not that complicated. "There is a dragon skeleton under New York that the Hand want to harvest for eternal life, and Danny is important to how they do it. Also, they resurrected Elektra as an evil ninja."

Most movies could get through that in an hour and a half. TV shouldn't need six hours before they even get to what the Hand's aims are. Also it shouldn't need to have the medium of its storytelling be, "the Defenders stand around awkwardly for half an hour while Stick tells them the entire plot".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Also it shouldn't need to have the medium of its storytelling be, "the Defenders stand around awkwardly for half an hour while Stick tells them the entire plot".

That was like the only good episode of it though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I'll wait while you work it out

It's Person of Interest episode The Devil's Share

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Android Blues posted:

I dunno, the Defender's plot bulletpoints are not that complicated. "There is a dragon skeleton under New York that the Hand want to harvest for eternal life, and Danny is important to how they do it. Also, they resurrected Elektra as an evil ninja."

Most movies could get through that in an hour and a half. TV shouldn't need six hours before they even get to what the Hand's aims are. Also it shouldn't need to have the medium of its storytelling be, "the Defenders stand around awkwardly for half an hour while Stick tells them the entire plot".

You're right, it should be easy, which is why the pacing feels like the weirdest thing to me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Blues posted:

TV shouldn't need six hours before they even get to what the Hand's aims are.

If you count DDs1, it was WAY longer than that.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
In hindsight, Defenders should of been a made-for-Netflix film.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pastamania posted:

In hindsight, Defenders should of been a made-for-Netflix film.

That's a great idea.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
That way we would only have to suffer through 90 minutes of Defenders instead of 8 hours

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

New Iron Fist s2 trailer's out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGYggLGmrjI

I'm glad the masks are there, and that the fights look a little more fluid, but dammit why can't we just have the loving Iron Fist mask on him all the time it's not fair.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Looks better than the first season, obviously, but still far too grounded for its own good. Maybe I'll watch the first episode if it gets good reviews.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Misty and Colleen both in it; I'm there.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Probably going to root for Davos. That red fist looks pretty awesome.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Is the Sith iron fist a thing that crops up in the comic books sort of like how they have a Lantern corps for every color of the rainbow?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Habibi posted:

Is the Sith iron fist a thing that crops up in the comic books sort of like how they have a Lantern corps for every color of the rainbow?

Kind of?

The thing about Davos is he becomes the Steel Serpent and the Immortal Weapon of whichever of the Seven Cities the Crane Mother rules. Also, he hates Danny for earning the Iron Fist over him. I mean *really* hates.

The Iron Fist mythology with Fraction at the helm got insanely deep (and complicated).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Iron Fist season 2 should just be Danny vs the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If Davos isn't trying to recover stolen property, but acting out of ego, I'll be disappointed.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

iirc Davos doesn't becomes the Steel Serpent until after he steals the Iron Fist from Danny a couple times and it fucks his whole world up

Crane Mother basically Gandalf the Whites him into an immortal weapon

I think

comics are terrible

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
How does one "steal" the Iron Fist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Habibi posted:

How does one "steal" the Iron Fist?

you can get a bone saw on Amazon for like 23 bucks