Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It feels like there's too much world building around the 12 months and stuff for it to be close to ending or anything, but considering everything that has happened in Part 2 they could probably cram plenty to wrap it up in a Part 3/Final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol why do people think its ending just becuase the story is ramping up a bit? we'll see baam get all the thorns and there are a bunch of floors baam has to reach even if there are time skips. at least the 77th and 100th. then there is climbing past the floor jahad decided to stop at

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I agree, Baam just barely got enough courage to break up with his abusive girlfriend, we still have a lot more to go before Baam falls in love again, loses his love, and becomes a warlord like Jahad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I don't know why I said final, I just meant this season. I blame late night posting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I agree, Baam just barely got enough courage to break up with his abusive girlfriend, we still have a lot more to go before Baam falls in love again, loses his love, and becomes a warlord like Jahad.

i'm a big fan of baam finally calling out her bullshit

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm a big fan of baam finally calling out her bullshit

In a perfect world, this is where Rachel's story ends. But I know deep down inside that she'll scrape through this encounter and be all the more twisted for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

well technically she did win the contest for the second thorn

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh, that's right, Baam doesn't know that the treasure stingray snatched up the item. Yeah, "technically" Rachel did win.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Can you even count it as her victory when it's basically Gustang securing the prize himself? The stingray even detached from Rachel to snipe the object from Jahad.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Jose posted:

well technically she did win the contest for the second thorn

The contest/duel was to beat Hell Joe.

Edit: One thing I've been thinking about that I think is neat is how much of a "good guy/hero" Jahad looks like, and how much of a villain Bam is starting to look like, just visually. Golden hair and red armor vs black hair and devil horns.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 31, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Beating hell Joe was the requirement to get the thorn from the de sah family. To get the thorn from gustang they needed the jahad data from the hidden floor

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Jose posted:

Beating hell Joe was the requirement to get the thorn from the de sah family. To get the thorn from gustang they needed the jahad data from the hidden floor

I don't remember Rachel being a part of that one, I thought that was a pretty Bam-specific task.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-313/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=394

Pretty interesting, I always wondered if we'd get to see Evankhell. In chapter 26 she was referred to as 'he' though so that threw me off at first appearance. So far this would be the...4th? strongest person we've seen excluding flashbacks?

The conversation between Bam and Rachel really reminds of the short story 'Quantum of Solace' (It's much much different than the movie).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hirethor posted:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-313/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=394

Pretty interesting, I always wondered if we'd get to see Evankhell. In chapter 26 she was referred to as 'he' though so that threw me off at first appearance. So far this would be the...4th? strongest person we've seen excluding flashbacks?

The conversation between Bam and Rachel really reminds of the short story 'Quantum of Solace' (It's much much different than the movie).

I think she's third. Gustang and Urek are higher ranker/stronger by nature, but both Maschenny and Ha Jinsung are only vaguely "top 100" so we don't know if that's below or above Evankhell, and if that's to do with power or influence. I guess technically Hell Joe was stronger when he had the Red Thyrssa since not even Urek could hurt him without Baam's Thorn giving him an opening.

It's also pretty neat that Rachel is finally about to do something interesting. I've been very bored of the character for awhile so some backstory is well overdo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And once again Rachel lives because someone refuses to kill her. That poo poo is getting real old now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Mulva posted:

And once again Rachel lives because someone refuses to kill her. That poo poo is getting real old now.

I think Baam tried but that fish-thing sucked up the attacks. So instead of trying something futile for a third time Baam got the hint and decided not to show Rachel he can't actually kill her right now. At least this is the interpretation I am going for, it makes more sense that way.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So Androssi has taken the snake charmer as inspiration for her way of fighting now?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I think she's third. Gustang and Urek are higher ranker/stronger by nature, but both Maschenny and Ha Jinsung are only vaguely "top 100" so we don't know if that's below or above Evankhell, and if that's to do with power or influence. I guess technically Hell Joe was stronger when he had the Red Thyrssa since not even Urek could hurt him without Baam's Thorn giving him an opening.

It's also pretty neat that Rachel is finally about to do something interesting. I've been very bored of the character for awhile so some backstory is well overdo.

What? The Thryssa was literally beat out of Joe by Urek. It isn't even close to one of the strongest anything

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

What? The Thryssa was literally beat out of Joe by Urek. It isn't even close to one of the strongest anything

Yeah, after Baam allowed him to. I'm not saying Joe was stronger than Urek (Even with his control over all the shinsoo he couldn't hurt Urek), but I am saying he probably could've beaten Evankhell because controlling all shinsoo kind of invalidates people who aren't irregulars.

nimby posted:

I think Baam tried but that fish-thing sucked up the attacks. So instead of trying something futile for a third time Baam got the hint and decided not to show Rachel he can't actually kill her right now. At least this is the interpretation I am going for, it makes more sense that way.

Nope. The second Baam pulled out the ol annihilation orb the thing hosed off, presumably because it values its cargo more than protecting Rachel.

Hypocrisy posted:

So Androssi has taken the snake charmer as inspiration for her way of fighting now?

I know it was years and years ago but this is actually reminiscent of how she fought way back on the floor of tests with those little discs.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 6, 2018

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Nope. The second Baam pulled out the ol annihilation orb the thing hosed off, presumably because it values its cargo more than protecting Rachel.

Oh, I completely misinterpreted that scene...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was it ever suggested/stated that evankhell was part of FUG or is this more that they're breaking rules of the tower?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Jose posted:

was it ever suggested/stated that evankhell was part of FUG or is this more that they're breaking rules of the tower?

Probably more that they're stepping on her turf. iirc, she's not aligned with any faction, officially.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
If I was Baam, I would have at least hit Rachel with a newspaper and said "bad dog"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does Rachel's stingray still have Jahad's data?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

yeah the magical invisible item eating stingray still has the fancy bracelet as far as we know which is maybe why it left

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah, after Baam allowed him to. I'm not saying Joe was stronger than Urek (Even with his control over all the shinsoo he couldn't hurt Urek), but I am saying he probably could've beaten Evankhell because controlling all shinsoo kind of invalidates people who aren't irregulars.

That's only because the administrator there was dead. You're assuming a lot, rankers usually have strong items in addition to their regular skills and such; there is really no evidence that Joe could somehow beat a ranker for any reason, even with manipulating the shinsoo in an area

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The Red Thryssa was unable to be harmed by Urek Mazino, who himself is an Irregular don't forget, because it was a fragment of an Administrator. Baam was only able to change that because the Thorn also has the power of an Administrator. Evankhell would be just as screwed as Mazino was in that scenario, if not more, because she is a Regular High Ranker. Joe himself is a nobody loser, sure, but the power of an Administrator trumps almost everything.

If any ol' High Ranker could get around that, it wouldn't be a big deal that Enryu was otherwise unique for doing so in the first place.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Hell Joe could have beaten Evankhell on the floor of death because of shinsoo control, but on other floors where there are administrators, he'd be squashed flat because a fragment isn't beating the whole drat fish.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
God dang it Baam, walk away. Just walk away. She's explicitly out to hurt you at this point, my precious cinnamon bun. Just leave. Whatever she says will only bring you pain.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm glad Bam has had this emotional breakthrough and though I really want to know about his past I hope he tells Rachel to gently caress off and doesn't give her the satisfaction.

I still like Rachel a lot as a character

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm just saying. Rak is right there. If Baam just walks past him and nods Rachel won't be a problem anymore. Not like sparing her here will do anyone any good as she is incredibly petty. Surprised he didn't pump her for info on what she did to Khun though.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

EmmyOk posted:

I'm glad Bam has had this emotional breakthrough and though I really want to know about his past I hope he tells Rachel to gently caress off and doesn't give her the satisfaction.

I still like Rachel a lot as a character

I kind of feel like the trying to kill Khun thing was forced here. Like, I guess she sees him as a rival? I'm really not sure what she gets out of doing it then, as opposed to doing it for an advantage, which is more in keeping with her character.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
She wanted to kill him and also killed him out of desperation is how I saw it. When she went to the hidden hidden floor and blackmailed the Big Breeder, her plan became to escape the hidden floor in a new body and join Baam's crew while it was convenient. I thought of it as her rightfully considering Khun a threat if she does escape and also removing one of Baam's closest allies to make space for her new persona. Oh well, too bad Jahad messed it all up.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Also because I'm pretty sure she hates him only slightly less than she does Baam, because he rightfully uses every opportunity to dunk on her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!

Coffee Mugshot posted:

She wanted to kill him and also killed him out of desperation is how I saw it. When she went to the hidden hidden floor and blackmailed the Big Breeder, her plan became to escape the hidden floor in a new body and join Baam's crew while it was convenient. I thought of it as her rightfully considering Khun a threat if she does escape and also removing one of Baam's closest allies to make space for her new persona. Oh well, too bad Jahad messed it all up.

Loudly announcing that she's the reason he's dying in front of a bunch of witnesses was probably a bad move, then.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I thought that Rachel and Khun never stopped hating/wanting to kill each other like when the first time skip happened.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Pretty sure that if at all possible, Rachel would kill anyone who helped her become a ranker so that nobody knows how weak she was.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I think she's third. Gustang and Urek are higher ranker/stronger by nature, but both Maschenny and Ha Jinsung are only vaguely "top 100" so we don't know if that's below or above Evankhell, and if that's to do with power or influence. I guess technically Hell Joe was stronger when he had the Red Thyrssa since not even Urek could hurt him without Baam's Thorn giving him an opening...

AtomikKrab posted:

Hell Joe could have beaten Evankhell on the floor of death because of shinsoo control, but on other floors where there are administrators, he'd be squashed flat because a fragment isn't beating the whole drat fish.

I was counting Jahad in there, so Jahad & Urek & Gustang, followed by Evankhell because even though that wasn't Jahad's real form it was him in the present. I def wouldn't say that Hell Joe is up there, Urek was purposefully going easy on him, not trying to hurt him so that he could get the Thryssa out of his body. I think the most he ever used in that fight was 10% of his power to punch the air near Joe, and a flick of his fingers cancelled a good part of Joe's shinsu control:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-252/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=333

Really the only problem Urek had at all with Joe was that he wasn't able to fly up to face him at the time, Joe's attacks did nothing at all to Urek. I imagine it'd be similar for someone as strong as Evankhell, she'd brush off his attacks and once he's in range it'd be over instantly.

Dragonatrix posted:

The Red Thryssa was unable to be harmed by Urek Mazino...

Counter point:

Again, Urek was going easy because it was a rescue mission and he wanted to protect the Regulars from the explosion. He couldn't break through that shinsu shield because of the Thryssa's control of the area, but otherwise he was perfectly capable of hurting it.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 7, 2018

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hirethor posted:

I was counting Jahad in there, so Jahad & Urek & Gustang, followed by Evankhell because even though that wasn't Jahad's real form it was him in the present. I def wouldn't say that Hell Joe is up there, Urek was purposefully going easy on him, not trying to hurt him so that he could get the Thryssa out of his body. I think the most he ever used in that fight was 10% of his power to punch the air near Joe, and a flick of his fingers cancelled a good part of Joe's shinsu control:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-252/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=333

Really the only problem Urek had at all with Joe was that he wasn't able to fly up to face him at the time, Joe's attacks did nothing at all to Urek. I imagine it'd be similar for someone as strong as Evankhell, she'd brush off his attacks and once he's in range it'd be over instantly.

Counter point:

Again, Urek was going easy because it was a rescue mission and he wanted to protect the Regulars from the explosion. He couldn't break through that shinsu shield because of the Thryssa's control of the area, but otherwise he was perfectly capable of hurting it.

Cheers, that was the deep dive I hadn't penned :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

SIU said in the blog post that until we actually see something in the story its liable to change so Evankhell being referred to as a man previously wasn't a mistranslation