Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gremory has a pretty cool design.

How do they get that crown on or off? Ow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

How do they get that crown on or off? Ow.

Never I would assume, given that Gremory is an immortal demon with no biological functions that are needed to function.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I feel really dumb for not picking up on Gremory and Gemori both being different interpretations of the same being.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 26, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

I feel really dumb for not picking up on Gremory and Gemori both being different interpretations of the same being.

If it makes you feel better you're not alone. I only just realized that there a character from Hellboy called Gamori who is probably also based on the demon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaosArgate posted:

Gemori is just another probably valid translation of the same name. Gemori, Gamory and Gomory are also listed as viable translations for the name.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 27, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

The ambiguity is probably a result of Hebrew and other Semitic languages work. Their word roots get developed from sequences of consonants, which then have added vowels and non-essential consonants to make an actual word. Most often said root has three consonants, so the term for this is a triliteral. Thus, "hello" in those languages is ultimately derived from the root s-l-m/*sh-l-m, which refers to safety/well-being or a promise thereof. Compare the Hebrew "shalom", the Arabic "salam", or the Maltese "sliem".

In the case of Gremory/Gemori/etc., the root is probably g-m-r which refers to being abundant and/or overwhelming. (Check gh-miim-ra on this page.) I dunno how that relates to Gremory in particular, but I assume that that's ultimately connected.

*This is why we have the word "shibboleth", because one Tribe of Israel (Gilead) identified the survivors in another defeated tribe (Ephraim) by ordering them to say shibboleth. The Ephraimites didn't have the ʃ consonant (English sh), so they mispronounced it as sibboleth and were killed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

NGDBSS posted:

The ambiguity is probably a result of Hebrew and other Semitic languages work. Their word roots get developed from sequences of consonants, which then have added vowels and non-essential consonants to make an actual word. Most often said root has three consonants, so the term for this is a triliteral. Thus, "hello" in those languages is ultimately derived from the root s-l-m/*sh-l-m, which refers to safety/well-being or a promise thereof. Compare the Hebrew "shalom", the Arabic "salam", or the Maltese "sliem".

In the case of Gremory/Gemori/etc., the root is probably g-m-r which refers to being abundant and/or overwhelming. (Check gh-miim-ra on this page.) I dunno how that relates to Gremory in particular, but I assume that that's ultimately connected.

*This is why we have the word "shibboleth", because one Tribe of Israel (Gilead) identified the survivors in another defeated tribe (Ephraim) by ordering them to say shibboleth. The Ephraimites didn't have the ʃ consonant (English sh), so they mispronounced it as sibboleth and were killed.

That is all pretty fascinating stuff! 🙂

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the few things I can fault this game for, is that you don't have too good of a reason to assume you can to the genocide route.

Since Zangetsu's range is so horrible, basically by the time you reach the point where you can attack, the d-pad shows up showing you can interact with them. And then there's no chance to back out.

"You are an abomination and the very thing I've sworn to wipe from this earth! :black101:"
"Wait, I can summon Red Lobster biscuits from nothing!"
"...You can live until they bring back Endless Shrimp"

No yes/no choice, or kicking you back out of the dialogue after the "I can do [useful thing]" plea. Just "JOIN UP!"

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'm just happy you forgot the gold boss' name for a second and just called him Goldman Sachs like I have been :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I had no idea you could kill your allies instead of recruiting them!

... I'm not sure I could kill Miriam just to get that ending.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shei-kun posted:

I had no idea you could kill your allies instead of recruiting them!

... I'm not sure I could kill Miriam just to get that ending.

You can also walk past and ignore them, which lets you do a solo Zangetsu no power run, which is probably the closest you get to a challenge run in this game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Regardless of anything else, I appreciate anyone with enough class to give their giant evil hand castle an obvious thumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Holy poo poo that bad ending. :stare: That's a gut punch, right there.

Is it any different if you kill some of the other characters and not others?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

And that's it! Thanks for sticking around for the ride, it's been fun!

Silver Falcon posted:

Holy poo poo that bad ending. :stare: That's a gut punch, right there.

Is it any different if you kill some of the other characters and not others?

Yeah you get different endings if you spare some allies and kill others, or ignore them entirely, but those runs don't unlock anything.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Just because there was no comment on the post-credits scene and ChaosArgate might not actually know, that's the Sumeragi Group building in the background from the Gunvolt games.

http://azurestrikergunvolt.wikia.com/wiki/Sumeragi_Group

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The main differences for the rest of the Nightmare mode bosses are:
-Valefor spawns stronger enemies
-Valac is more aggressive and the projectiles move quicker and the heads tend to attack at the same time more in the first phase, while the fire breath in the second phase is wider, meaning you need to duck to avoid it
-Andrealphus doesn't seem to have any immediately obvious differences
-Same for Bloodless, although the umbrellas might move slightly faster

The way to get that green scroll in Albert's solo segment is to either freeze the candles with the ice sword and use them as platforms, or use the clone spell to hit it at just the right distance.

There's another bonus to playing Ultimate mode beyond having all 4 characters and Zangetsu having all his upgrades: he also gains access to a charged sword swing that does around 3 times the damage of a regular attack and covers a pretty large area.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

AnotherGamer posted:

-Valac is more aggressive and the projectiles move quicker and the heads tend to attack at the same time more in the first phase, while the fire breath in the second phase is wider, meaning you need to duck to avoid it

In my normal playthrough the lower head never breathed fire, it only snapped. In Nightmare it constantly breathed fire. It was the one time I felt the team was ill suited for the job. The one time Zangetsu and his holy water analogue would have been welcome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Just because there was no comment on the post-credits scene and ChaosArgate might not actually know, that's the Sumeragi Group building in the background from the Gunvolt games.

And the one he's on is Megaman II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I love how Inti Creates has been slowly building up a shared Inti Creates universe with this, Gunvolt, and Mighty Number Nine.

Thanks for the LP!

• Locked thread