Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kojima noted supporter of PMCs.

Either way Survive is neither progressive or good no matter how you feel about Kojima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
God I'm glad that people are finally starting to stop slobbering all over Kojima's knob.

He's always been a giant creeper, but you so much as mention it and you get a legion of lovely nerds lining up to vomit walls of text to you the DEEP SYMBOLISM of having a dying trauma victim try and hump you to death, or having the audio of a pair of teenagers being raped and abused be an important plot element, or hell having you stare at Meryl's rear end to figure out where she's going in the first MGS.

It's telling just how significantly less creepy and obtuse the games get when he's not involved. Rising remains the best Metal Gear by a country mile. Death to autuer syndrome, the games are better when people actually tried to reign in his bullshit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rising is not the best Metal gear game.

It’s hardly even a MG game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rising is not the best Metal gear game.

It’s hardly even a MG game.

It is.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's absolutely the best Metal Gear game, and it does it by shedding the smug self-seriousness of the main series and embracing the ridiculous elements people actually like about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I didn’t think this thread was for terrible MG opinions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

kojima is the japanese david cage, both in his gigantic creepiness towards women and in his writing being fuckawful but somehow getting a baffling amount of praise anyway

Oh poo poo, the horrible business environment under Kojima came out too? I thought it was just Konami working people to death but I didn't know Kojima was a scumbag lech freak too.

edit: Wampalord already brought up the link to the Quantic Dreams thing.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kojima is more of an Ernest Cline than a David Cage,. "Look I named my character Snake and he uses the alias Pliskin just like in that movie, also every time you save you have to listen to my proxy talking about my favourite old movies."

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Counterpoint: Kojima has actual skills and imagination when it comes to gameplay design and use of the medium.

He's notable if only for the fourth-wall breaking (not 100% sure that's the correct term for this but it's the closest I can come up with) mechanics and gimmicks in his games. The time-bomb volume trick in Snatcher, the passcodes/radio frequencies in the MGS series. The Psycho Mantis fight there's more.

Hell, his storytelling is pretty drat good! The stories are convoluted messes but the act of telling them is pretty well executed (Guns of the Patriots notwithstanding)

Comparing Kojima to hacks like Milne isn't fair. The man is a creep and a misogynist and can be a bit of a rip off artist (Snake Pliskin, the design of Snatchers, prolly a bunch others) and he's probably completely off his rocker but he knows his art and can create it. Both things Milne and Cage struggle with.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I wonder how much Kojima's motion sickness is responsible for the lovely cameras and controls in the early MGS games.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Kojima is anime as gently caress and both are terrible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Eh, that's debatable. Kojima did alright with 1 and 3. 2 has the problem of being talked at via codec for hours on end about all manner of junk. The stuff people remember about 2 and how it predicted twitter and fake news and all that junk was just part of a hours long codec scene that was extremely tedious to sit through.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Kojima is someone who needs to be reined in every goddamn day.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Kojima is one of most unevenly skilled game director's I've ever seen. When he does something clever, it's brilliant. When he does something dumb, it's really embarrassing. There's not much that's just plain and mediocre about his works.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Kojima is one of most unevenly skilled game director's I've ever seen. When he does something clever, it's brilliant. When he does something dumb, it's really embarrassing. There's not much that's just plain and mediocre about his works.

Yeah, the only things that come to mind is the end game of MGS 2 when you're fighting all those Metal Gears and fighting Grey Fox in MGS 1 hand to hand.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point, I'm convinced Death Stranding isn't a real game, it's just a running troll between Kojima, Del Toro, Reedus and Mikkelsen to see how long they can keep making weird disjointed arthouse short films and get them screened at E3 before someone finally asks them to just stop already.

Death Stranding is Kojima loyalty testing the new boss by seeing how far he can stretch the corporate leash he's on before they stop him. Or he's got golden handcuffs and he's trying to be fired.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
We haven't talked about Star Wars in like two pages.

So here's a new Auralnauts edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bj2T8nLaxU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Hel posted:

Honestly I found the first K&L succeeded better at being interesting, especially as a contrast to today's dad games. Two completely unsympathetic balding white guns loving everything up because of some macho protect my family bullshit and the game does nothing to present them as being even close to right. Kane even fails at redeeming himself when he tries instead of the game going, " he did a good thing at the end so every lovely thing is forgotten" like is common in games nowadays.

I famously didn't finish Dead Men because the game turns into a terrible tactical squad shooter half way through, and I broadly, and surprisingly, found the game somehow even less playable than the barely playable Dog Days.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For the record, If you ever want to give some anime a go, this is a really good (and diverse) list from a pretty solid anime critic:

https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/1023916839695523842?s=21

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hel posted:

Honestly I found the first K&L succeeded better at being interesting, especially as a contrast to today's dad games. Two completely unsympathetic balding white guns loving everything up because of some macho protect my family bullshit and the game does nothing to present them as being even close to right. Kane even fails at redeeming himself when he tries instead of the game going, " he did a good thing at the end so every lovely thing is forgotten" like is common in games nowadays.

Yeah, he is an evil piece of poo poo who clings onto his little redemptive totem which is the letter, which he mumbles about constantly especially. His wife justifiably hates him as does his daughter. I like how the game straight up says that he did just run with the money the first time.

FoldableHuman posted:

I famously didn't finish Dead Men because the game turns into a terrible tactical squad shooter half way through, and I broadly, and surprisingly, found the game somehow even less playable than the barely playable Dog Days.

I did too. It’s loving unplayable once you get to Cuba. 2 is meh but is more mediocre then straight up bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

stillvisions posted:

Death Stranding is Kojima loyalty testing the new boss by seeing how far he can stretch the corporate leash he's on before they stop him. Or he's got golden handcuffs and he's trying to be fired.

Yeah, I like Kojima but even I think death stranding will be a shitshow. As super bunny hop put it. He needs good editors and translators to reign him in.

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That Death Stranding E3 trailer was really bad. I dig that it was low impact but it still didn't tell me much about the game other than you walk around very barren, bland landscapes carrying packages and occasionally you have to pull out your broken toe-nails. I'm pretty much expecting a MGS4-level game here, with more gameplay - lots of navel-gazing nonsense where Kojima disappears up his own butt with bits of genius sprinkled in there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

For the record, If you ever want to give some anime a go, this is a really good (and diverse) list from a pretty solid anime critic:

Gross you've got legitimately good stuff mixed in with very boring wastes of time and one turbo edgelord Mark Millar comic (Bokurano).

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If you win that bingo you should go to jail.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Gross you've got legitimately good stuff mixed in with very boring wastes of time and one turbo edgelord Mark Millar comic (Bokurano).

I remember the Bokurano anime being a lot better and more restrained (the two are related) than the manga. More of a solemn, graceful look at how you spend your last days on earth than Millaresque bullshit. Plus, the opening theme owned hard.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I remember the Bokurano anime being a lot better and more restrained (the two are related) than the manga. More of a solemn, graceful look at how you spend your last days on earth than Millaresque bullshit. Plus, the opening theme owned hard.
It was still Millar bullshit. It was better but it had to keep the central conceit. A conceit which existed for 0 reason besides presumably an edgy teenager working out his general frustration with the world, but somehow got turned into an actual studio production.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 30, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Steve Shives - Midterms Are Coming! - The Off-Monday Ramble Episode 118: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FetD8HKDhbw

Bonus:
Amazing Athiest - THE BEAUTIFUL DESTRUCTION OF STEVE SHIVES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=katnXdCswMA

tl;dw :siren: STEVE SHIVES IS A SJW CUCK!!! :siren:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

lemonadesweetheart posted:

If you win that bingo you should go to jail.

once i saw that a bad book existed, therefore all books are evil and should be burned

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mushishi is dope as hell

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

That is way too scattershot a collection to blindly recommend to people.

Here's what's worth watching as a general starting point out of that list;

Mushishi
Nichijou
Planetes (especially if you like Expanse-esque hard sci-fi)
FLCL
Ping Pong

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

dmboogie posted:

once i saw that a bad book existed, therefore all books are evil and should be burned

the books can exist even if they shouldn't, it's the readers that need to burn

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alaois posted:

mushishi is dope as hell
Yup

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is way too scattershot a collection to blindly recommend to people.

Here's what's worth watching as a general starting point out of that list;

Mushishi
Nichijou
Planetes (especially if you like Expanse-esque hard sci-fi)
FLCL
Ping Pong
No one should be subjected to the industrial levels of boredom generated by Nichijou without being warned in advance. It's like telling someone to dive right back into the Munsters or Big Bang Theory. It's just cruel.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

EDIT: Lol, always quote posts, you can't stop this train

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 30, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yup
No one should be subjected to the industrial levels of boredom generated by Nichijou without being warned in advance. It's like telling someone to dive right back into the Munsters or Big Bang Theory. It's just cruel.

I have heard Nichjou called many things, but the one thing it absolutely isn't is boring. I'm sorry you live up to your username so well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It was still Millar bullshit. It was better but it had to keep the central conceit that existed for 0 reason besides presumably an edgy teenager working out his general frustration with the world, which somehow got turned into an actual studio production.

I’m not entirely sure it comes from a place of frustration, though, at least in the anime - the premise is strange and grim, but the characters are treated with empathy, and they managed to ground and universalise it a little - once you get past the sci-fi trappings, dying younger than you might expect for unfair and arbitrary reasons (or, indeed, for what looks like a good cause if you squint and ignore a few details) is hardly an unknown concept in the real world, after all.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FoldableHuman posted:

Unless you were playing multiplayer it's a squad tactics game from the second level on, outside of a few a few sections, even the Havana levels don't change that since it's just a multiplier on your existing team members. And I wonder if the playability things is a console vs pc thing because when I played it a few months back it was a standard fully playable third person shooter, It sufferers from being made in a time period where standards were pretty annoying/inaccessible like the non-centred non-switchable camera.

Fake edit: Ok, it reinstalled Dead Men and tried out playing it with a controller and wow that is unplayable on defaults, I got it to ok by maxing out the sensitivity and messing with the options.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Didn't see it mentioned, but new OHW (She Blinded Me With Science) dropped this morning.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nichijou, Flying Witch, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Ping Pong, and One Punch Man are all solid picks as well as pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Alaois posted:

mushishi is dope as hell

:yeah:

i haven't watched everything on that list but it's legitimately got some of the best in the medium, even if there's some chaff. (also it bugs me that it uses the Japanese names for everything) some of my favorites (that are approachable for people not familiar with anime poo poo):

Shirobako: Anime about making an anime. The character work is great, it gives some cool insight into the industry, and the cast is entirely made up of adults, which is refreshing.
Nichijou: High-energy, ridiculous comedy with impactful animation.
Kino's Journey: A girl wanders the Earth with her sentient motorcycle, visiting a new (usually hosed up) country each episode. Has a very surreal, dreamlike tone. Don't watch the reboot first.
Spice and Wolf: A traveling merchant meets a harvest goddess, medieval economics and romcom poo poo ensue in basically equal measure. Nice and low-key.
Sound Euphonium: Follows a high-school concert band and captures the experience perfectly if you've ever been in one. Gorgeous animation and realistic, likable characters. Has a nice balance of drama and slice-of-life.
Ping Pong: You'll never care as much about anything as these characters care about Ping Pong. Unique style that you won't see in basically any other anime, fun to watch matches, and compelling character drama.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I’m not entirely sure it comes from a place of frustration, though, at least in the anime - the premise is strange and grim, but the characters are treated with empathy, and they managed to ground and universalise it a little - once you get past the sci-fi trappings, dying younger than you might expect for unfair and arbitrary reasons (or, indeed, for what looks like a good cause if you squint and ignore a few details) is hardly an unknown concept in the real world, after all.
Agreed that the production studio did its best with what it was given, but you can't escape the source material being about forcing children to commit genocide.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have heard Nichjou called many things, but the one thing it absolutely isn't is boring. I'm sorry you live up to your username so well.
There's not much else to say about a super boring comedy. Reminded me of the bad slot fillers you'd get on nick at night and only gets recommended because weebs love anything that's "so wacky".