Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Agreed that the production studio did its best with what it was given, but you can't escape the source material being about forcing children to commit genocide.
There's not much else to say about a super boring comedy. Reminded me of the bad slot fillers you'd get on nick at night and only gets recommended because weebs love anything that's "so wacky".

I mean, it was a very War on Terror-era story. A good chunk of the world went a little crazy around then (hell, still is), and Japan wasn’t entirely unaffected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm not really anticipating Death Stranding, but I think Kojima's wanted to move away from Metal Gear for a long time in order to work on new projects. Honestly, I wish more companies gave their developers big budgets and let them go crazy with whacked-out premises.

Also, I guess I should add an anime list too, even though I haven't really watched anime in long time. Uh...

Polar Bear Cafe
Chi's Sweet Home
Animation Runner Kuromi
Black Lagoon
and, I dunno, Flowers of Evil?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it was a very War on Terror-era story. A good chunk of the world went a little crazy around then (hell, still is), and Japan wasn’t entirely unaffected.
Doesn't make it a good show. It's still bad.

A reason does not excuse.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I never understood why Nichijou got so popular. Sure, I can see some people enjoying it if they have a taste for random and surreal humor, but not to the point of calling it a classic or remembering it years after it finished. There are shows that do the random and surreal thing far better if that’s what you’re into.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is way too scattershot a collection to blindly recommend to people.

Here's what's worth watching as a general starting point out of that list;

Mushishi
Nichijou
Planetes (especially if you like Expanse-esque hard sci-fi)
FLCL
Ping Pong

I'd add Kino no Tabi (Kino: The Beautiful World) to that list, but ONLY the original. The second/reboot they did failed to capture the magic of the original even if it covers more content from the original novels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I never understood why Nichijou got so popular. Sure, I can see some people enjoying it if they have a taste for random and surreal humor, but not to the point of calling it a classic or remembering it years after it finished. There are shows that do the random and surreal thing far better if that’s what you’re into.

It was also very visually impressive for a comedy, thanks to some of the top animators in the business working on it. They sold those jokes much harder than is normal for anime.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

KayTee posted:

Has anyone actually said this?

Also almost every Kojima game has a molest button of some sort, it ain't unique to MGS4.

Policenauts let you grope the boobies of almost every lady you meet. That was p. Much his first game.

in Snatcher you can verbally sexually harass an underage girl whose father just died until she throws you out, only to relent and let you back in so the game doesn't end up in an unwinnable state

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just wish that discussing anime didn't also include "the list". You know what "the list" is if you've ever discussed anime.

One of my IRL friends made the mistake of talking about anime to another person and she was hounded for the rest of the night be a guy who started rambling off all the shows he's ever watched because "if she watches anime, that means she likes ALL anime!"

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Didn't see it mentioned, but new OHW (She Blinded Me With Science) dropped this morning.

It was good! OHW's are pretty consistently good and I usually can't think of much to say about them. I agree with him about the song, it's very interesting, it's very 80's, and it's not very fun to actually listen to.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Didn't see it mentioned, but new OHW (She Blinded Me With Science) dropped this morning.

this one was wild for me because I've known this song since I was a little kid but I had absolutely no idea who made it - until I watched this episode I kinda just figured it was the theme from some weird 80's movie. (Don't ask me why I thought this. :v:)

I always love the OHW episodes where the artist turn out to be supremely fuckin' legit, and I think I'm actually gonna check out some of Thomas Dolby's other work now

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Eh, that's debatable. Kojima did alright with 1 and 3. 2 has the problem of being talked at via codec for hours on end about all manner of junk. The stuff people remember about 2 and how it predicted twitter and fake news and all that junk was just part of a hours long codec scene that was extremely tedious to sit through.

iirc he didn't even want to make 2, and it was supposed to be a giant middle finger (which is why Raiden was the real protagonist)

Also if Nep is any indication anime is all about wanting to bang your sister also your friend's sister but not just in a "bro let me hit that" kinda way like back in high school but rather "bro I wish she would call *me* bro so she could like be my sister or something bro and then I could hit that cause I can't get an erection otherwise bro"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just wish that discussing anime didn't also include "the list". You know what "the list" is if you've ever discussed anime.

One of my IRL friends made the mistake of talking about anime to another person and she was hounded for the rest of the night be a guy who started rambling off all the shows he's ever watched because "if she watches anime, that means she likes ALL anime!"

Oh god this. Anime is a medium, not a genre folks. And like most forms of entertainment, you're going to think the vast majority of it outside of your niche is garbage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leal posted:

iirc he didn't even want to make 2, and it was supposed to be a giant middle finger (which is why Raiden was the real protagonist)

Also if Nep is any indication anime is all about wanting to bang your sister also your friend's sister but not just in a "bro let me hit that" kinda way like back in high school but rather "bro I wish she would call *me* bro so she could like be my sister or something bro and then I could hit that cause I can't get an erection otherwise bro"

That’s more a nerd media thing. If you don’t believe me, consider the various strange and reprehensible fetishes in superhero comics.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

dmboogie posted:

this one was wild for me because I've known this song since I was a little kid but I had absolutely no idea who made it - until I watched this episode I kinda just figured it was the theme from some weird 80's movie. (Don't ask me why I thought this. :v:)

I always love the OHW episodes where the artist turn out to be supremely fuckin' legit, and I think I'm actually gonna check out some of Thomas Dolby's other work now

I always thought it was on the OST to Weird Science as a companion piece to the titular Weird Science.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s more a nerd media thing. If you don’t believe me, consider the various strange and reprehensible fetishes in superhero comics.

If the various bizarre sex scenes in any "literary fiction" novel about a sad professor in New York are any indication, this goes way beyond nerd media

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh christ the conversation is looping

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Did the Russian Winter beat the Germans? And more... TIK Q&A 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0ussbeFCE

Germans had a plan to defeat the Soviet Union, what they didn't count on was the Soviets just Not. Giving. Up. :ussr:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I Before E posted:

If the various bizarre sex scenes in any "literary fiction" novel about a sad professor in New York are any indication, this goes way beyond nerd media

True enough, though nerd media is more likely to include the fantastical elements that let the author’s freak flag fly. I don’t think I’ve seen literary fiction that included the phrase ‘the dickgirls opened fire’, although I’m sure goons will be along with a litany of examples to prove me wrong.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

I always thought it was on the OST to Weird Science as a companion piece to the titular Weird Science.

...Hahaha wow, I actually had Weird Science and She Blinded Me With Science mixed up. I've never like, actively sought out either, so when the song started playing in OHW I was just like "yeah, there's science, sounds about right"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MariusLecter posted:

Did the Russian Winter beat the Germans? And more... TIK Q&A 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0ussbeFCE

Germans had a plan to defeat the Soviet Union, what they didn't count on was the Soviets just Not. Giving. Up. :ussr:

well they(hitler, the officers, pretty much everyone) though stalin had done enough damage to his army but more importantly, the nazis legit though the russians/soviets were backward subhumans who would die or retreat at the sign and force of the aryan nazi horde. they didn't. the nazis were ill prepared for it. it didn't help that they also devoted a ton of resources to just murdering millions of people on the eastern front.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Watch Assassination Classroom

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's the list?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Speaking of science-

ElectroBOOM! - Painful Experiments with Van De Graaff Generator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarKXkXox6M

:science:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

Turns out, humans? Buncha weird horndogs.

I'm inclined to believe that the main difference here is that nerds on the whole are less socially aware and so don't realize how awkward it is to just let your sex freak flag fly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Watch Assassination Classroom

No, watch Kirby: Right back at ya!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leal posted:

I think he did want to make MGS2, since I think the script for it was penned not too long after MGS1 shipped. He meant for the series to end with MGS2. However, there was a demand for a sequel, which netted us MGS3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigRed0427 posted:

What's the list?

Say you like a show, be it Clannad, Eva, Cowboy Bebop, anything. There is a particular type of person out there who, upon hearing that you like "show which is anime", will then proceed to ask what shows you have seen, and then list off all the shows they think you should have seen or should watch, operating under the assumption that if you like one anime, you therefore must enjoy ALL anime. And so they recite the list like watching these shows is the equivalent of catching pokemon. There's no regard for taste or genre, if you like one anime, you must like all anime.

I like watching Gundam shows, so I say I like Gundam. That doesn't mean I want a recommendation for some slice of life comedy show, but to people with lists, the very fact that I watch Gundam means I must like all anime ever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Max Wilco posted:

I think he did want to make MGS2, since I think the script for it was penned not too long after MGS1 shipped. He meant for the series to end with MGS2. However, there was a demand for a sequel, which netted us MGS3.

i still think storywise/characterwise, three is the best. plus cold war stuff is always interesting.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 30, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i still think storywise/characterwise, three is the best. plus cold war stuff is always interesting.

MGS3 is a great game, but MGS2 is my personal favorite. I think I've played through it more times than I have MGS3, and I've always like its meta-narrative.

The other thing (and this might be weird thing to say), but while MGS3 I think made a smart move by going with the camouflage system, it departed heavily from how the games played up to that point. Before then Metal Gear games were more about line-of-sight and timing your movements. I played through all the games (well, from MGS1 and onward) a few years ago, and playing MGS1 and MGS2 back-to-back, you can see how MGS2 really improved on the mechanics of the first game. Some people say that MGS1 is practically a 2D game, what with how the radar works (which makes sense, because at one point, MGS1 was meant to be a remake of MG2: Solid Snake), and MGS2 addresses that, as the mechanics incorporate more vertical elements (not sure if that makes sense).

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

dmboogie posted:

...Hahaha wow, I actually had Weird Science and She Blinded Me With Science mixed up. I've never like, actively sought out either, so when the song started playing in OHW I was just like "yeah, there's science, sounds about right"

Not having seen the movie or been around for the 80's, I think the second "I Love the 80's" series had a bit on "Weird Science" the movie with "She Blinded Me With Science" the song playing over it. So I always thought the song went with the movie.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

RareAcumen posted:

That's not Cromartie.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

watch them both at the same time

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Three good anime recommendations in a row is an unheard of record given SA's generally bad anime taste.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well they(hitler, the officers, pretty much everyone) though stalin had done enough damage to his army but more importantly, the nazis legit though the russians/soviets were backward subhumans who would die or retreat at the sign and force of the aryan nazi horde. they didn't. the nazis were ill prepared for it. it didn't help that they also devoted a ton of resources to just murdering millions of people on the eastern front.

it really can't be said enough that with all this 'Hitler was basically an evil magician who cast a Lie Spell on Germany' revisionism around that Hitler and his inner circle GENUINELY believed almost everything about their race/nationalist propaganda and they represented a VERY real major thought line in their people. Multiple German generals literally thought that the average Soviet was basically a shaved ape who will bow to anyone who smacks them with a big stick.

It's also why Rommel's revisionism is bullshit too, he may not have thought Germany should put Jews in ovens but he also thought that because England had a very mild climate the english and US soldiers in North Africa were actually eager to give up and he could force surrenders with just a few good wins. That's also why his supply lines were so poo poo, he expected to have hordes of allies just laying their guns down and letting his men take their poo poo.

The Nazis were so loving stupid, guys. The western world was very nearly conquered by the dumbest pieces of poo poo in the modern age

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Three good anime recommendations in a row is an unheard of record given SA's generally bad anime taste.

Im curious as to which ones you think those are, however all anime is good my friend. even the ones i dont like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The only good anime is the DUB (sorry if you hate the English language) of Ghost Stories.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Im curious as to which ones you think those are, however all anime is good my friend. even the ones i dont like.
Assassination Classroom, Kirby, and Cromartie.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Leal posted:

The only good anime is the DUB (sorry if you hate the English language) of Ghost Stories.

Some of the humour is dated but like holy poo poo that dub owns. It's also like, one of the only dubs on UK crunchyroll

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Alaois posted:

mushishi is dope as hell

This person gets it.

I also think people who enjoy Mushishi will also enjoy Mononoke and Natsume Yuujinchou even if those two shows are uh. Very different in tone from each other.

(One’s a beautifully animated horror-mystery show about monstrous humans creating literal monsters and the other is a beautifully animated supernatural coming of age story about an orphan boy who can see spirits. Mushishi, with its “PBS nature documentary from hell” tone, is somewhere between the two.)

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Some of the humour is dated but like holy poo poo that dub owns. It's also like, one of the only dubs on UK crunchyroll

The creators went back and re...dubbed? The Japanese version to make it more in line with the English version. That should say it all.