Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've recently had cause to poke around in the Windows Driver Framework

it's.... surprisingly not-bad????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

there's a very small number of companies these days that can justify running their own hardware.

anyone who argues otherwise are people whose sole skill is running such hardware, and are terrified of becoming obsolete, despite the fact that it already happened.

idk, the company i work at only has around 100 people but has been around since 2000, so we run our own hardware in a local datacenter. we evaluated the cost to migrate everything to aws and found it would be significantly more expensive than to just keep doing what we're doing. if the company was founded today everything would be in the cloud and we'd design it with that in mind, but given that we already have the IT folks who know how the infrastructure works... :shrug:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

carry on then posted:

the hot poo poo new product our org has released is literally software to create an on-prem private cloud

sell it to me please because our infrastructure dept are rolling their own and like everything else they do it's taking huge amounts of time and providing no benefit to anyone except them because they get to piss away money delivering nothing as usual

the other day they said "oh no you can't access the private cloud from the other areas of the network, it's private!" to which they were promptly asked "are you loving serious? what the gently caress is the point in that?" by a senior manager lmao

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Kilometres Davis posted:

Less poo poo to worry about

disagree entirely

if you're running t2.micros yeah that's true but cloud networking and vm performance tuning is a very interesting and complicated thing

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
thanks all. i can see why the cloud is useful, but people seem to really get off on developing stuff in the cloud and that weirds me out

DELETE CASCADE posted:

idk, the company i work at only has around 100 people but has been around since 2000, so we run our own hardware in a local datacenter. we evaluated the cost to migrate everything to aws and found it would be significantly more expensive than to just keep doing what we're doing. if the company was founded today everything would be in the cloud and we'd design it with that in mind, but given that we already have the IT folks who know how the infrastructure works... :shrug:

same boat. we'd need to massively rearchitect to be able to even host our product in the cloud because lol @ 20 years of doing everything in a big, powerful db. we can only scale up, not out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
developing stuff for Cloud VMs isn't any better than developing for local vms. The big thing is doing development for platform as a service languages like asp.net where you can just deploy your app to azure and it handles everything including vm management. Scaling is way more cost effective and if you ever wanted to not run it on azure that's fine cause its asp.net and it will run anywhere so you can go back to the dark ages of server management.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah I like azure app service

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
imo aws's api is light years better than vmware's offering

also managed services are great and i love not having to janitor my database vms and not use rabbitmq in favor of sns/sqs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is there a term for shoehorning systems into the same interface even if it doesnt make any sense

other than square peg, round hole

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like aws's api and they have good cost reporting if you setup your own tags

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

I've recently had cause to poke around in the Windows Driver Framework

it's.... surprisingly not-bad????

being good as gently caress on drivers is how windows won 1990-2005

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Soooooo... CEO sent out an email this morning covering such important topics as:
    - time spent on cell phones
    - length of lunch breaks
    - leaving at 5 is considered leaving early
    - non-work related conversations

I think the CEO is willing to take feedback as he doesn't really have experience managing software engineers. I'm currently planning to share links to Netflix cluture and the article on "proper feeding of software engineers", but I really want to just say "we don't need a fuckin babysitter" since as far as I know, myself and the other dev are easily hitting 40 hrs/week and cranking out code. This job is actually the most productive I've ever been in my career, in terms of hours out of the day spent on task vs. browsing forums/twitter/whatever.

what do?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

update resume

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

update resume

fax resume to ceo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Finster Dexter posted:

I think the CEO is willing to take feedback
lol

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bloody posted:

update resume

I really like this jerb, though... and everything else is set up really well. I guess I'm hoping there's an article out there on "don't babysit your devs" but I think I just have to power through and try to explain the concept to him off the cuff... wish me luck lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the ceo is figuratively cracking the whip and complaining about his employees being lazy

i have a feeling he's not willing to listen to constructive feedback on how he is being unreasonable here

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

I think the CEO is willing to take feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M&hd=1

Edit* This is why I WFH (among many many other things.)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Filter that feedback through middle management, if possible, in case that helps not paint a target on your back.

Managers that can't realize that the real question is, "Does employee X get the job done?" and not, "Does employee X work the way I want them to?" are the worst.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

your ceo is saying instead of your workplace being a cool place to hang out and keep morale high with happy workers, your workplace should instead be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh1tW16V-8

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

comedyblissoption posted:

your ceo is saying instead of your workplace being a cool place to hang out and keep morale high with happy workers, your workplace should instead be:

The guy yelling at them is having the most fun.
The CEO wants to be that guy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CPColin posted:

Filter that feedback through middle management, if possible, in case that helps not paint a target on your back.

Managers that can't realize that the real question is, "Does employee X get the job done?" and not, "Does employee X work the way I want them to?" are the worst.

My manager who is also the CTO told me to put on a more happy demeanor so my colleagues would come to me with their tech issues. They felt I was scary.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

My manager who is also the CTO told me to put on a more happy demeanor so my colleagues would come to me with their tech issues. They felt I was scary.

I was reprimanded at my old job because I didn't want to participate in the holiday party after working 60+ hour weeks for months on end.

Also, there wasn't a single god damned vegetarian dish at the entire party. I had never once eaten meat the entire time I was there.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

this is legit feedback, being welcoming and approachable is important when pairing or sharing knowledge

ratbert90 posted:

I was reprimanded at my old job because I didn't want to participate in the holiday party after working 60+ hour weeks for months on end.

Also, there wasn't a single god damned vegetarian dish at the entire party. I had never once eaten meat the entire time I was there.

this is not though lol jeez. i usually just pull the "not feeling well" card

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gonadic io posted:

this is legit feedback, being welcoming and approachable is important when pairing or sharing knowledge

it is

but they're salespeople and marketing. I'm also not a monster, I just don't smile.

edit: actually gently caress it and gently caress them all. never work at a startup

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 30, 2018

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i go to the company holiday party and get plastered on free booze

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Blinkz0rz posted:

disagree entirely

if you're running t2.micros yeah that's true but cloud networking and vm performance tuning is a very interesting and complicated thing

This is true in the datacentre as well (it's also all VM's in the end) but you also have to worry about hardware MTBFs, warranties, people patching the wrong loving cable, etc.

Edit: I agree the networking layer is a bit different but hrn I said less poo poo to worry about I meant hardware and physicality poo poo not networking and performance.

Chopstick Dystopia fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 30, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bloody posted:

i go to the company holiday party and get plastered on free booze

There was no free booze.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ratbert90 posted:

There was no free booze.

that's not a party that's misery, what the gently caress

EDIT: this is the one that lost millions because they were poo poo to you, right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jabor posted:

structure it as an internal cloud so that the people developing your applications don't need to care about managing actual machines

applications don’t run in the cloud, applications run on users’ devices

back-end services used by applications might run in the cloud, of course

if you’re really talking about web pages, having someone else host your web pages has been a thing almost as long as web pages have

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

comedyblissoption posted:

*in extremely hackernews voice*
actually the real victim here is the drummer

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beamed posted:

that's not a party that's misery, what the gently caress

EDIT: this is the one that lost millions because they were poo poo to you, right?

Yes.

EDIT:
Found a new posting for them titled "Junior Embedded Software Engineer" According to my ex-coworker, they will not pay more than 60k for this position.

quote:

"Company", a leader in $field, is looking for a Junior Embedded Software Engineer to join its design team in our offices in West, Michigan. The design team is focused on building and maintaining company’s suite of products, and provides engineers with a well-rounded experience that will not compartmentalize them to one project, system or process. The Junior Embedded Software Engineer will be responsible for:

Devising system architecture and requirements for innovative embedded software products
Integrating and validating embedded systems
Developing detailed designs to meet product specifications
Collaborating with team members on active projects
Communicating tasks, risks, road blockers to project stakeholders
Working with third party partners through development cycle
Continuous improvement through testing and analysis
Ideal candidates will have experience in:

C/C++ languages
Linux programming environment
Code version control
Working independently on development projects
Entrepreneurial work environment (start-ups, small business)
Desire to learn new technologies outside of current skill sets
Job Type: Full-time

Experience:
embedded development: 3 years

Education:
Bachelor's

Required work authorization:
United States

I left the spelling mistakes and all the formatting the same, minus the company name. :allears:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 30, 2018

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

eschaton posted:

applications don’t run in the cloud, applications run on users’ devices

back-end services used by applications might run in the cloud, of course

if you’re really talking about web pages, having someone else host your web pages has been a thing almost as long as web pages have

your gimmick sucks

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
every so often its obvious when someone comes thru and hasn't clicked back through 8 dead/haunted OP's to figure out what's cool for this thread and what should probably be posted elsewhere

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol the zelda rom randomizer they use for speed races is all done in php
https://github.com/sporchia/alttp_vt_randomizer/blob/master/app/Rom.php
https://github.com/sporchia/alttp_vt_randomizer/blob/master/app/Randomizer.php

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

by sebmojo

JawnV6 posted:

every so often its obvious when someone comes thru and hasn't clicked back through 8 dead/haunted OP's to figure out what's cool for this thread and what should probably be posted elsewhere

i literally had to look up at the tab to check the thread title when i read this

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

If anyone is interested in an update, I talked to the CEO. As I suspected, he hasn't ever managed programmers before. He's been a finance bro for his whole career, and it actually started out pretty well but...

I pointed out that successful tech companies like Netflix and Airbnb are actually fairly rules-light, which he seemed honestly surprised at. I also said (thanks to responses here) pointed out the email was basically whip-cracking, which is very demotivating for any employee, but especially for programmers. He also seemed responsive to the notion that you should judge a programmer by his results, regardless of how hard he works.

This could all be blowing smoke up my butt, but what DOES track is that I'm not the one with a target on my back... the other programmer is. According to CEO, he "looks at his phone all the time!" and "takes long lunches". Hilariously, I pointed out that I do the same. His response was, "But I don't SEE you doing those things!"

The other dev is definitely a junior dev, which I've pointed out, and his code is not terrible. (He does need a lot of hand-holding, but we all do as junior devs, imo.) So, I tried to stick up for the poor guy, but for whatever reason the CEO just doesn't like him... which is frustrating because junior dev is a good guy and there's a decent chance that someday someone else will have the target on their back and welp.

So... kind of a mixed bag there.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lol hope ur interviewin

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol that the world is run by a bunch of parasites lording over you that you have to constantly appease and handhold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the ceo by his own admission is looking down on someone negatively purely because he is using butts-in-seats as his guiding productivity metric btw