Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if just putting some tape around his fingertip would be enough to stop Shigaraki's power?

It would have to be on both hands (to keep him from just using his other hand), but I would assume so since he has to put all five fingertips on the same object supposedly to invoke it, which is why the sand guy was an ideal counter to him since the sand is individual small particles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i didnt realize shigaraki couldnt turn off his quirk

"destroys everything he touches even if he doesn't want to" is even more thematically appropriate to the main villian than before

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Magne, Shigaraki, and Compress could have all used their powers for good...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

flowinprose posted:

It would have to be on both hands (to keep him from just using his other hand), but I would assume so since he has to put all five fingertips on the same object supposedly to invoke it, which is why the sand guy was an ideal counter to him since the sand is individual small particles.

Tragically for Snatch, his hard counter was being confined into a small space filled with fire.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

magne's power doesn't seem useful for non-fights. even for extracting people from rubble, you don't want to move them before you can evaluate their condition

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

scary ghost dog posted:

literally all for one vs one for all my man.

There's a character in One Piece who's power is even more representative of the ideology. Her ability is to power up normal people so they can fight for themselves against their oppressors. Think La Brava's quirk but with an AOE effect. A quirk that's all about giving those with less power the ability to fight against more powerful individuals as a group would be the communist quirk even more than collecting the power of many into one person to fight for everyone.

OfA does work as the ur-capitalist quirk though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

One for all is collectivist that's why the good guy has it. All for ones the capitalist one

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hah, I had this as a random showerthought the other day, too.

Stairmaster posted:

One for all is collectivist that's why the good guy has it. All for ones the capitalist one

All For 1%

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ix365/status/1023861963833524225

I always like seeing anime characters in casual wear - something other than what they wear on screen/page

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

of course hawks would wear the can't ya see shirt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/i7FM2x0.mp4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hate-Senpai posted:

Magne, Shigaraki, and Compress could have all used their powers for good...

Compress's power is super versatile and useful. Though he apparently used to be a magician or entertainer of some kind before becoming a villain.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Kurugiri could have also been a great hero. There are so many situations that could easily be solved just by him teleporting people out of danger or teleporting villains into cells or something.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What do you guys think Midoriya is gonna learn in the depths of his mind? I feel that we’re gonna see how exactly Nana came to be a great hero

I also feel that we’re gonna see Shigaraki’s quirk result as some mutation similar to Eri’s

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

What do you guys think Midoriya is gonna learn in the depths of his mind? I feel that we’re gonna see how exactly Nana came to be a great hero

Apparently that tie in manga for the movie shows Nana's death.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wonder if it's intentional or not that Nana is someone's grandmother.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Look at all the puns in people's names.

That should answer the question.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Crasical posted:

...What would communism as a quirk do? Take everyone's quirk in a certain radius, steal it, and then redistribute it fractionally to everyone who got yoink'd so everyone gets a (uselessly small) bit of a quirk? So toggling it on in Class 1-A would make everyone 1/20th invisible, 1/20th frog, 1/20th electrical, and so on?

In the Worm web serial, China takes all its parahumans (people with powers) and makes them join this organization that relies on the powers of a couple key people. One has the ability to share powers among people like you describe, and another has the ability to magnify the powers of nearby people, which combined makes them a troop of people with a very large set of minor-but-not-trivial powers.

http://worm.wikia.com/wiki/The_Y%C3%A0ngb%C7%8En

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems kind of weird to assume that Shigaraki has natural corpse skin and that it isn't because he's not taking care of himself and also stapling literal corpses to his face.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't know, it makes sense that his quirk really doesn't help matters

i see a lot of people who don't take care of themselves that don't look like that, and MHA is really big on people's quirks affecting how they look

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I also feel that we’re gonna see Shigaraki’s quirk result as some mutation similar to Eri’s

I get the feeling Deke is going to see how all the users of One for All fight/fall to All for One, starting with AfO’s brother

Then AfO’s going to turn to face Deke and say something like “so you’re the next inheritor”

Then Deku wakes up, freaking out that he shares dreams with AfO

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 30, 2018

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SgtSteel91 posted:

I get the feeling Deke is going to see how all the users of One for All fight/fall to All for One, starting with AfO’s brother

Then AfO’s going to turn to face Deke and say something like “so you’re the next inheritor”

Then Deku wakes up, freaking out that he shares dreams with AfO

This isn't Harry Potter

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

In the Worm web serial, China takes all its parahumans (people with powers) and makes them join this organization that relies on the powers of a couple key people. One has the ability to share powers among people like you describe, and another has the ability to magnify the powers of nearby people, which combined makes them a troop of people with a very large set of minor-but-not-trivial powers.

http://worm.wikia.com/wiki/The_Y%C3%A0ngb%C7%8En

thats not communism. China's returned to monarchy in that world.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

This isn't Harry Potter

Oh yeah, that happened in HP didn’t it?

Okay scratch that last part, Deku will probably see important moments from previous OfA user’s lives; like when they passed the quirk to the next user or confronting AfO

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe we'll find out All for One and the first One for All user's real names.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stexils posted:

magne's power doesn't seem useful for non-fights. even for extracting people from rubble, you don't want to move them before you can evaluate their condition

Magnetizing people can definitely be used outside of combat. She can use someone bracing themselves as a springboard and could use magnetic attraction/repulsion as a sixth sense to find people in trouble in the first place.

Also worst case scenario make people into temporary power generators given a big enough coil.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rhonne posted:

Maybe we'll find out All for One and the first One for All user's real names.

The two brothers, Afo and Ofa.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Funky Valentine posted:

The two brothers, Afo and Ofa.

Biblical siblings, Gallant and Goofuth.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm not sure if that pun translates into Japanese actually. It is cute though!

Just in case people don't know, I don't want to assume, her name is Nana because nana means Seven in Japanese and all of the OFA holders have numbered names. The Ya in Toshinori Yagi means Eight and the Ku in Midoriya Izuku means Nine.

EDIT: Gonna bet on Ichiro for the AFO originator.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm not sure if that pun translates into Japanese actually. It is cute though!

Just in case people don't know, I don't want to assume, her name is Nana because nana means Seven in Japanese and all of the OFA holders have numbered names. The Ya in Toshinori Yagi means Eight and the Ku in Midoriya Izuku means Nine.

EDIT: Gonna bet on Ichiro for the AFO originator.

This is also the basis for my favorite crazy theory I've seen, even if it just makes no sense otherwise: That the next holder of One For All will be Shimura Tenko.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Then he can disintegrate his own bones, too! Perfect!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Roland Jones posted:

This is also the basis for my favorite crazy theory I've seen, even if it just makes no sense otherwise: That the next holder of One For All will be Shimura Tenko.

In a perhaps darker, but not cynical, story, I could completely see that - Deku is the kind that'd gladly sacrifice himself to save someone else from themselves (remember when he broke all his fingers for Todoroki), so him giving up his life to rescue Shigaraki, then once he was safe and realized the error of his actions, giving him One For All so he can take the true road of a Hero as his grandmother would've wanted - it makes sense.

But this is MHA, where the Heroes always win and the worst sacrifices come in the form of horrible, life-long scars. I don't think Deku's losing OFA, at the very least, not before the epilogue.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

In a perhaps darker, but not cynical, story, I could completely see that - Deku is the kind that'd gladly sacrifice himself to save someone else from themselves (remember when he broke all his fingers for Todoroki), so him giving up his life to rescue Shigaraki, then once he was safe and realized the error of his actions, giving him One For All so he can take the true road of a Hero as his grandmother would've wanted - it makes sense.

But this is MHA, where the Heroes always win and the worst sacrifices come in the form of horrible, life-long scars. I don't think Deku's losing OFA, at the very least, not before the epilogue.

I actually could see it working out in a similar way. Not the Deku dying part, but as part of doing the impossible and saving the supposedly unsavable (despite that he should have been saved according to both in-comic and author comments) Shigaraki, Deku's hero complex pushing him to do foolish but heroic things, and all that. But it doesn't seem like the most likely outcome to me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

The manga hasn't really ever used English puns to this point. "Juu" is the Japanese word for Ten, and we've only seen a couple characters so far that've had that in their names, and they've been extremely background characters.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blaze Dragon posted:

But this is MHA, where the Heroes always win and the worst sacrifices come in the form of horrible, life-long scars.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Not completely wrong, thats sure to be a horrible life-long emotional scar for Mirio and Deku.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

The manga hasn't really ever used English puns to this point. "Juu" is the Japanese word for Ten, and we've only seen a couple characters so far that've had that in their names, and they've been extremely background characters.

So what you're saying is that skullboy from 1-B's gonna be getting a second Quirk.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Juu is only one way to read it, it could also be Tou or To or some archaic way of writing it that I haven't learned yet.

That said if there's any mangaka who I could see twisting their own pattern to throw some English in there, it's Horikoshi.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

symbolic posted:

So what you're saying is that skullboy from 1-B's gonna be getting a second Quirk.

I always support an increase to dasharez0ne's power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The name should've been Mirio Ninegata