Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KillHour posted:

Thrash the gently caress out of it - that's what an M3 is for. Get a clear bra if you're super worried about it.

A clear bra can't protect against what the rocks did to my wheels and underbody:
https://youtu.be/1hiAI3vNipE

It shouldn't be nearly that bad on real dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Anybody tried R888Rs?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
If anyone is going to be at the Lemons race at The Ridge this weekend, I'll be in the #88 Brawndo car. It's been 5 years since we race it last. It should be pretty fun with the upgrades and repairs we've done since then.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

A clear bra can't protect against what the rocks did to my wheels and underbody:
https://youtu.be/1hiAI3vNipE

It shouldn't be nearly that bad on real dirt.

That reminds me that there was a video I ran across earlier this week that showed details of a Civic rally car that has been run since the 90's. They covered basically the entire underside of the car and leading edge of rear suspension in shoeglue or something similar and reapplied as it was worn off by rocks.

e: here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDuIal6PLQ&t=140s

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Aw sheeit. I ignore SA for a few months and all of a sudden there are goons at my home track. (As lovely a home track as it is) I marshal and instruct there on and off during the summer. A good friend of mine works there mostly full time now as well. Drives a red Alfa.

I recently had some free private time there recently and decided to practice a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH4ZncDy5-Y

I haven't done that much lapping this year. Mostely co-driving other people's autocross cars and doing chumpcar. I'll probably be lapping way more once the E36 is done.

Is hotlinking from Discord allowed?

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 27, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

That reminds me that there was a video I ran across earlier this week that showed details of a Civic rally car that has been run since the 90's. They covered basically the entire underside of the car and leading edge of rear suspension in shoeglue or something similar and reapplied as it was worn off by rocks.

e: here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxDuIal6PLQ&t=140s

This is brilliant. The in-wheel mudflap is some straight-up rally genius, too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Doing my first autocross tomorrow in my Cayman. Anything I should know for tomorrow?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Bring a lot of snacks and water, sunscreen, and shade. Take everything loose out of the car, and walk the track a ton before you go. Have fun!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
in no particular order

1. look ahead
2. look ahead
3. look ahead
4. look ahead
5. look ahead
6. look ahead
7. look ahead
8. look ahead
9. look ahead
10. look ahead

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aim for the cones to score more points.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Doing my first autocross tomorrow in my Cayman. Anything I should know for tomorrow?

Check your tire pressures. Probably run stock first time out.

N+1 to water and sunscreen and no loose stuff in the car.

Talk to people and let em know your new. Get a ride with someone who's experienced. Get them to ride with you. We love new people, it's so fun to share this hobby.

Drive as fast as you feel comfortable.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

in no particular order

1. look ahead
2. look ahead
3. look ahead
4. look ahead
5. look ahead
6. look ahead
7. look ahead
8. look ahead
9. look ahead
10. look ahead

Also drink water, then look ahead again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
are we talking about a rave here

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
First rallycross was a success!

First round I was super slow, tried left foot braking but while I've done it in my simulator, I haven't actually tried left foot braking my WRX IRL and the pedals don't really have much room, so I struggled and lost tons of time. Also decided to intentionally start slow and build up pace rather than push it and spin out or do some real damage to my new(ish) car. The track was pretty clear, no thick trees or boulders or anything, but there was still some serious bushes or mesquite trees that while wouldn't smash your car would scrape it up pretty awful if you went off-track.

Wasted another couple laps before I got the bravery to turn off traction control, which was killing my starts. I figured I'd want it off for rally surfaces, but I've seen people say if you're new to racing its stupid to turn off. But I've got a good feel for the WRX and I've done lots of dirt racing in the simulator at least, so I have some idea how the momentum works.

At the end of the day I was still a bit slow but very much close to the other cars in my division, faster than a couple and only a second behind the next up. I put in a time of 59 seconds where my first lap of the day was at 78. (Which came right down to 65, then 63, and so on)

Zero damage done to my car, mudflaps did their job well and protected the paint from any small rocks.

I could be a lot faster, really just have to be brave and push it harder and I can bring my lap times down more. But considering this was the first time I've ever really driven on a dirt surface in real life, I'm pretty dang happy with the day. Plus just had a super fun time going fast on dirt and getting sideways for a bit. And through all 10 runs I did, I didn't hit any cones. Maintained complete control over the car. Just gotta go faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF5xzUglqJw

It was hot as hell out there working corner duty, I'm exhausted.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
First autocross was awesome!

Did a trial run with who I found out later was the local PCA autocross champ multiple years running. Obviously he was insanely quick, but I got a bit of coaching from some of the PCA guys early on who rode with me. Did 6 runs in all, 3 in the AM, 3 in the PM. First three runs were 87, 84, 83. Second three runs were 82, 81, and my best, 80.206. The PCA guy in his modded 911 was running 75s. They'll post the times later, but I think the quickest time of the day was someone in a Corvette at 74ish. My main goal was to not DNF and/or crash, so I think I did ok from that standpoint. I ran the last two runs with the traction control off. I was nervous to do that, but everyone told me it was cutting in and slowing me down.

Any good helmets available on Amazon?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Sounds like we had pretty similar experiences :thumbsup: (Although I was on dirt)

Residency Evil posted:

Any good helmets available on Amazon?

There are, but you really want to try helmets on and see how they fit you if at all possible. Sizes can vary and you want it to be snug but also comfortable for long periods of time. I'm a pretty skinny dude but I have a fat head so I need a large helmet, I wouldn't have guessed that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds like we had pretty similar experiences :thumbsup: (Although I was on dirt)

There are, but you really want to try helmets on and see how they fit you if at all possible. Sizes can vary and you want it to be snug but also comfortable for long periods of time. I'm a pretty skinny dude but I have a fat head so I need a large helmet, I wouldn't have guessed that.

I tried a Large Bell on that someone had which seemed to fit pretty well, so I figured I might start there (or I can always exchange it). I'm not sure where I could find a helmet shop around in the first place.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If it fits comfortably new it is probably too big, they basically break in a full size, in my experience.
If you can twist the helmet on your head it is too big.
Feel for hot spots where your head is touching the shell, the helmet is the wrong shape for your head if this happens.
Push the helmet from the back with your hands and see if someone can stick a finger between your forehead and the helmet.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 29, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How hard is autocross on a car, out of curiosity? I'm assuming it's mainly pad/tire wear, but how much more quickly should I expect to go through stock pads/tires?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

How hard is autocross on a car, out of curiosity? I'm assuming it's mainly pad/tire wear, but how much more quickly should I expect to go through stock pads/tires?

You'll definitely go through tires and pads faster than street driving, but how much autocross are you doing? Like 5-10 laps isn't that much, so how often you go to autocross matters. If you spend hours at a track day you're gonna wear tires pretty fast but a day of autocross probably won't even make a noticable impact.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're going to have to replace your brake pads after 23k miles versus 25k.

Most of the actual wear is probably on the chassis attachment points for things like sway bar endlinks and shocks, but it's seriously next to nothing. Maybe differential crunchiness depending on how hard you try to win the autocross in the first 10 feet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Along those same lines, I'm doing a 2 day HPDE at Watkins Glen next month. How much tread do I need on my tires (Cup 2s) to last the event? Should I bring a spare set?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If it's above the wear bars it will probably be fine. That being said if they're easy to bring the only thing you'll need is the thing you don't have.

Also abs? Flat spots can trash even new tires in an instant.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Less tread is better on a track as there is less deflection of the tread blocks so better response and they stay cooler.

The other thing is that depending on your suspension setup and alignment and the way you are driving you can really unevenly wear the tires. A full tread tire with, say, too soft suspension and not enough negative camber can really easily overheat the outside shoulders and and start chunking off bits of tread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a Focus RS. I assure you I won't have problems with a soft suspension. I'm more worried about them kicking me off the track for low tread.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No one is going to kick you off track for low tread

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

No one is going to kick you off track for low tread

This lol.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pretty much every place ever does "self tech" inspections.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone run with Chin or MVP for track days? Looks like they're two of the bigger in the South East region. Otherwise open to suggestions.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 31, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have heard nothing but really good things about Chin from the people over at RoadraceAutox.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

They've been great about quick replies to any questions I have had. The machinery I've seen attending their events in galleries certainly is impressive.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't run with them (I think Fatcow has once or twice), but I do know that they have a reputation for being real fast. Solid group overall, good bang/buck since they do opening lapping for hours on end; however, really god drat fast overall.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think I ran with Chin once at Homestead. It was a very well organized event IIRC.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Screw you, NASA. I have reservations I can't cancel :mad:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Wrar posted:

I think I ran with Chin once at Homestead. It was a very well organized event IIRC.

I've been meaning to try Chin since they run a few tracks in the NE that NASA doesn't, and it also looks like they take their driver classes a bit more seriously. Not that NASA isn't fine.

KillHour posted:

that suuucks. That's twice they've canceled events in a calendar year. They canceled Thompson last year because of the same non-testing reasons. It's a shame.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KillHour posted:

That poo poo really sucks.

If it's any consolation Watkins Glen itself is a very beautiful state park and there's lots of cool hikes and poo poo. Plus, good wineries and restaurants in the area. Make the best of it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well this is turning out to be a lovely day.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Anybody coming to the August 11th NASA HPDE at Pocono?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
https://youtu.be/kvy9CGjE0wo

Pointby from GTR at 1:30. Must be terrible to be slow and have a really fast car, shitheads like me dunking on you nonstop and taking selfies :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

PaintVagrant posted:

https://youtu.be/kvy9CGjE0wo

Pointby from GTR at 1:30. Must be terrible to be slow and have a really fast car, shitheads like me dunking on you nonstop and taking selfies :lol:

There was a really nice guy in a GTR at Lime Rock a few weekends ago who routinely gave much slower cars point bys because he wasn't a dick and was out to have fun and not wreck his car. Nothing wrong with that. It's much worse to be that rear end in a top hat in a Viper or some poo poo and have a train behind you.