Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's pretty much the source of that 'Godzilla Threshold' thing in tvtropes; when the situation has degraded to the point where awakening a sleeping Godzilla has become a reasonable response. It seems rather fitting given the themes of nuclear weapons the franchise is rooted in.

This is how Trump got elected imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's pretty much the source of that 'Godzilla Threshold' thing in tvtropes; when the situation has degraded to the point where awakening a sleeping Godzilla has become a reasonable response. It seems rather fitting given the themes of nuclear weapons the franchise is rooted in.

The thing is, "summoning Godzilla to defeat the greater evil, despite the inherent costs of doing so" has only really been "a thing" a handful of times. Usually when Godzilla is summoned, it's on a deserted island with no consequences (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster), when Godzilla is explicitly a hero and avoids causing damage (everything Showa including and after Smog Monster), or (in the case of Final Wars) the world has already basically been destroyed anyway. The classic "Godzilla Threshold" calculation really only seems to apply in a handful of cases.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Please don't insult Godzilla like this. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Please don't insult Godzilla like this. :(

BUT BARAGON'S EMAILS!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HannibalBarca posted:

The thing is, "summoning Godzilla to defeat the greater evil, despite the inherent costs of doing so" has only really been "a thing" a handful of times. Usually when Godzilla is summoned, it's on a deserted island with no consequences (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster), when Godzilla is explicitly a hero and avoids causing damage (everything Showa including and after Smog Monster), or (in the case of Final Wars) the world has already basically been destroyed anyway. The classic "Godzilla Threshold" calculation really only seems to apply in a handful of cases.

Yeah, pretty much. It's just a powerful image.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

BUT BARAGON'S EMAILS!!

Watch Mothra start a war with Syria.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

He's going to build a wall and make the Meganulon pay for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had a dream that I had seen King of the Monsters and the thing that got me excited the most was Megalon showing up out of nowhere.

That was a weird dream.

I also watched GMK. Decent movie but that was one lovely looking Godzilla costume.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

So the movie "Pentagon Wars" but with a giant robot? I'd pay to see that.

General 1: This Mecha-Godzilla is all well and good Colonel Smith, but...

Smith: Something wrong general?

General 1: Well, with this thing in production, I don't suppose there will be much left in the budget for my Anti-Mothra weapon

General 2: Doubt it Bob.

General 3: You don't need anti-mothra weapons. You've got radar, anti-air missile platforms, that new Ion Ray Satellite.

General 1: You always need an Anti-Mothra weapon. And you know what I'm thinking? Why couldn't this thing be our Anti-Mothra weapon?

Smith: But it's a... anti-godzilla measure, general.

General 1: But this is a fifty meter tall weapons platform, why can't it be both?

Smith: Well, for one thing it is too big. And for another, it doesn't really have much in the way of ranged attacks.

General 2: Sounds like a design flaw to me.

General 1: We'll just increase the size of the power core, give it its own atomic breath.

Smith: But sir, atomic breath wouldn't hurt Godzilla in the slightest.

General 1: What's your problem Smith? Not elegant enough for you?

----

General 1: That's good work Smith.

General 2: Thing is...

Smith: *Exasperated* Yes general?

General 2: Looks a little like Godzilla now, what with the redesign and the atomic breath now, doesn't it?

Smith: Actually sir, that has come to our attention.

General 2: We know it's not Godzilla, but will King Ghidorah?

General 3: Thicker armor is too much of a reactive measure, even space titanium. I say we think proactive. How about we give this thing some heavy missile launchers. Knees, fingertips, chest... really show Ghidorah who is boss the moment that three headed bastard flies onto the scene.

Smith: Fine!

---

So what we have here, is an Anti-Godzilla weapon that can't beat Godzilla, an Anti-Mothra weapon that is too slow to shoot down Mothra, and a Godzilla shaped robot that can't stand up to one energy ray, but which will wipe out tokyo bay if any one of Ghidorah's three heads looks its way.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Having worked on military aircraft production...yes...this is some of what goes on. I validate. But this has applications elsewhere too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I saw the king of the monsters trailer and holy poo poo I wanna see the film now. looks great

e: also I wish my fevers manifested as cool monsters that kicked the poo poo out of infections

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Dylazodelan posted:

It's a fun little movie more in the spirit of the original series rather than the 90s movies. The main character is a kid and Gamera is a little baby boy.

I think I've whined in this thread before but my biggest regret is not buying the blu-ray of this at Fry's when I saw it for like $15 because now it's out of print and almost impossible to find, and when you do find it it's listed at like $300.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

Having worked on military aircraft production...yes...this is some of what goes on. I validate. But this has applications elsewhere too.

Looks like a riff on the F35.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They really should make a Pentagon Wars 2 just to take a look at how bad the F35 program is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They really should make a Pentagon Wars 2 just to take a look at how bad the F35 program is.

The F-35 is doing what it was designed to do from the beginning: make defense contractors lots of money and provide jobs making it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

I had a dream that I had seen King of the Monsters and the thing that got me excited the most was Megalon showing up out of nowhere.

That was a weird dream.

I also watched GMK. Decent movie but that was one lovely looking Godzilla costume.

I still say the G2K suit is my favorite; I wish it had stuck around longer.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I have scheduled, managed and planned production for F35 components and the other jets including C17.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The GMK suit is great imo, the only thing that would of made GMK better is if it was Anguris Varan and Baragon in the movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His head looks like a scaly dog and he's got a beer gut and doofy feet and his neck crumples whenever he looks down.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
GMK suit looks cheap as gently caress but I dont mind the design.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Agreed though that Gz2000 suit is awesome. I also quite like the Tokyo SOS suit for the same reason.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I will go to the wall for the 1962 King Kong vs. Godzilla suit design. It is goofy, but it works. Also the scene where he came ashore and destroyed a Soviet military base was terrifying to me when I was five years old.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So I finished watching Godzilla Anime Pt. 1, and it confirmed to me that I wanted to watch anime Godzilla. Unfortunately I don’t really want to watch this anime Godzilla. I’m thinking I should watch part 2 with the original audio- it was mostly the voice work that killed this for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not the voice work itself, it's how much of it there is. So much goddamn talking and not enough monster action. Animation can do just about anything visually, so let's have a bunch of people with identical faces and identical outfits stand around and explain their plans to kill a monster in excruciating detail for an hour and a half. Meanwhile we'll have some wannabe Eldar ponce ramble on with some pseudo philosophical nonsense about Gods and wax poetic about Godzilla being divine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not the voice work itself, it's how much of it there is. So much goddamn talking and not enough monster action. Animation can do just about anything visually, so let's have a bunch of people with identical faces and identical outfits stand around and explain their plans to kill a monster in excruciating detail for an hour and a half. Meanwhile we'll have some wannabe Eldar ponce ramble on with some pseudo philosophical nonsense about Gods and wax poetic about Godzilla being divine.

So in other words it's an anime.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And a Godzilla film.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It is an anime but it should be Anime Ja Nai.

A Gundam versus a Kaiju fight would be neat. Wash the crusty taste of RPO out of my mouth first.

Anime frustrates me most of the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anime is like 90% cost saving measures so they can blow all their budget on a few action scenes. (if you're lucky) It's hard to stop noticing once you realise the tricks they use.

Avoid the long runners, the miniseries are always better. Well, usually. Sometimes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cromartie Highschool is the best because it is such a massive piss take on anime conventions while still managing to be funny in its own right.
Woe betide anyone who comes across a person in the real world who identifies as an anime fan. I never bring it up unless someone asks me because they think if you're a fan of one show then you are a fan of all anime ever and suddenly they're reciting "the list" like it's a goddamn collectors game.

But the Godzilla anime is still mediocre apart from the last three minutes where everyone dies.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It is an anime but it should be Anime Ja Nai.

A Gundam versus a Kaiju fight would be neat. Wash the crusty taste of RPO out of my mouth first.

Anime frustrates me most of the time.

Gundam v Kaiju is dumb because pretty much all Kaiju are very solidly in the super robot camp. Your typical gundam is under twenty meters, while your smallest godzilla is two and a half times that. It'd be a little robot toddler fighting a grown lizard.

Actually, okay, maybe that would be pretty funny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yea that was my problem with it, I went in hoping for a Godzilla movie done in an anime style, instead it was an anime that happened to feature Godzilla.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Caros posted:

Gundam v Kaiju is dumb because pretty much all Kaiju are very solidly in the super robot camp. Your typical gundam is under twenty meters, while your smallest godzilla is two and a half times that. It'd be a little robot toddler fighting a grown lizard.

Actually, okay, maybe that would be pretty funny.

Pretty sure something like 00 in trans-am would gently caress up a kaiju with extreme ease.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I couldn't even get through Part 1 and the news that there's going to be a 3rd is not encouraging me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was always going to be a trilogy, so it's not exactly news.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is it worth skimming through the anime Godzilla for the monster scenes or is even that not worth it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

david_a posted:

Is it worth skimming through the anime Godzilla for the monster scenes or is even that not worth it?

Just watch the last three minutes of Planet of the Monsters.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I went ahead and watched City on the Edge of....what, battle? today with subs. It was more tolerable to me reading than listening, but the monster action remains pretty sparse and subdued. I got all excited when they discovered Mechagodzilla City, but, alas...

High point was probably right at the beginning, when the crew determines Godzilla can hit the mothership in orbit with his atomic breath.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JBP posted:

Pretty sure something like 00 in trans-am would gently caress up a kaiju with extreme ease.

I thought we were talking about Gundam, not Megas XLR.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The anime loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah. I liked it while watching it, Godzilla and godzilla were cool and the idea that basically the whole planet had terraformed into godzilla particles made me laugh, but as time goes on, I realize I didn't really think it was that great and also that it wasn't.

might watch the second while I'm doing something else. also planning to watch G2014 and A Quiet Place soon so not rushing for that right now

e: it had the proper roar in it, thats always a plus

E2 : man I forgot how much I liked G2014 in the actual monster bits. This first MUTO attack kicks rear end

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 1, 2018