Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

I love in west Texas and...I haven't seen a single sign or sticker for either one of them. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
In park cities in Dallas, it's Beto signs everywhere and have yet to see a Cruz sign. Gives me hope, which is bad

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Kunabomber posted:

In Carrollton/Lewisville I haven't seen any Cruz signs. Maybe that's why the denton county democratic party is moving to Lewisville. I worry if that will leave the focus off of the younger families pouring into Denton though.

*nerd voice* Having looked at voter data lewisville is a primo spot for the county office. It's actually got some of the highest concentration of dem voters in the county. And there's little risk of ignoring the city of Denton. Every county org basically has to bend over backwards as is to avoid being too Denton focused.

plus we could afford more office space in lewisville than in denton lol.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sign Chat: I get between southwest Ft Worth, far north Dallas and central/southwest Houston a lot and I've yet to see a single Cruz anything but every drive longer than 10 minutes, I see at least one Beto something. Sticker, sign, etc...

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

Il Federale posted:

I love in west Texas and...I haven't seen a single sign or sticker for either one of them. :shrug:

Walking through Marfa this weekend I saw four Beto and one Cruz sign. Also some Beto stickers in Alpine.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1023678311233409024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hyx80hulBs

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Beto is the hardest workin' man in show biz.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Even if he doesn't win it feels nice to have a competent candidate who seems to be executing well.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

isk posted:

FWIW Beto's Facebook page has been pushing health care quite a bit, especially lately. He was laser focused on immigration for a bit.

Anything actually good, or is he just committed to establishing a committee to begin an investigation into bringing back mandatory $400 monthly tithes to insurance companies?

Il Federale posted:

Same but outside of houston. Hi5 ignored area of the state buddy!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Neighbor's Beto sign update :siren:

It blew over this morning in the storm after becoming detached from its stand.

This does not bode well for Beto's campaign imo

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Yard signs are generally not a sign of anything. Facebook busybodies care, but that's it. Republicans generally don't put up signs since they don't view the races as contested, they may do it for a primary but that's it. They don't vote, they're not indicative of a level of support, nor are they indicative of enthusiasm - they're kind of the running joke among field people.

If Beto has 15,000 more signs than Cruz across the state, he may still lose by 250,000 votes.

I'm much more encouraged by Beto's field staff. I get texts and calls from his team regularly, which is interesting because I have never been canvassed or called before despite voting in every election since I was able to vote in 04 and with a strong D primary history. Indicates that their team is doing something right in terms of IDing their supporters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Neighbor's Beto sign update :siren:

It blew over this morning in the storm after becoming detached from its stand.

This does not bode well for Beto's campaign imo

Most inauspicious....

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sab0921 posted:

Yard signs are generally not a sign of anything. Facebook busybodies care, but that's it. Republicans generally don't put up signs since they don't view the races as contested, they may do it for a primary but that's it. They don't vote, they're not indicative of a level of support, nor are they indicative of enthusiasm - they're kind of the running joke among field people.

Yeah I heard that before the 2016 election too.

"Don't pay attention to all the Trump yard signs in the Blue Wall, signs don't vote, people do!"
*doesn't think to ask what it means when everyone wants your opponent's sign in their yards and no one is willing to even hang up your name on their lawn out of apathy and shame*

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I heard that before the 2016 election too.

"Don't pay attention to all the Trump yard signs in the Blue Wall, signs don't vote, people do!"
*doesn't think to ask what it means when everyone wants your opponent's sign in their yards and no one is willing to even hang up your name on their lawn out of apathy and shame*

I mean - it was never in doubt that Trump would win Texas - and I'm not sure I saw a single Trump yard sign around here (in either the suburbs where my parents live or inner loop Houston).

I have no idea what the yard sign situation was in Wisconsin or whatever, but the results were basically in line with the polling, so maybe if they had a better ground infrastructure calling people and knocking doors, they would have been able to move the needle by 10,000 votes.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Marxalot posted:

Anything actually good, or is he just committed to establishing a committee to begin an investigation into bringing back mandatory $400 monthly tithes to insurance companies?

It's pretty good - health care is a right, should be affordable for all, we have no excuse for our rising infant/mother mortality rates, etc. Would like to see him articulate more specifics but it's a start.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Signs are meaningless. It’s all about bumper stickers!

I’ve seen one Beto sticker that I can remember. No Cruz stickers but I see plenty of blue lives matter flags, punisher skulls, and punisher skull shaped blue lives matter flags and wow I wonder how those people will vote.

Also yesterday I saw a pickup with Abbott for governor right next to a teamsters union sticker. Governor Abbott, union lover!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't they just make the whole candidate out of yard signs

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zoux posted:

Why don't they just make the whole candidate out of yard signs

There aren't enough, probably.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yard signs and bumper stickers seem to be a good proxy for if people are excited about the candidate and are thus more likely to have supporters come out to vote and no yard signs seems to be a good proxy for the candidate being a lifeless lizard person or fish monster that everyone hates, and whose reluctant support could instantly collapse with a single piece of particularly bad news

imo if a campaign wants to not spend money on yard signs a good use for the savings would be for finding a candidate who doesnt suck rear end

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
What is the perfect gift for someone who shitposts on Facebook in a schoolboard election for a school district they don't actually live in if you're Empower Texans? Apparently it's a gun bearing the words "Torchbearer".

Fortunately this guy's candidates both lost, but congrats for trying.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The yard signs definitely don't mean Beto's going to win, but he's got as much buzz as I've seen from any Texas dem since Wendy Davis - and he didn't need to do a big showy filibuster to get it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

The yard signs definitely don't mean Beto's going to win, but he's got as much buzz as I've seen from any Texas dem since Wendy Davis - and he didn't need to do a big showy filibuster to get it.

Did Wendy Davis do anything remotely like the retail politics roadshow Beto has been doing?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Not even close.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Over the weekend I heard the teen grocery clerk at Kroger compliment a middle-aged customer's Beto shirt ("I agree with your shirt!") and then I saw a Beto bumper sticker in the parking lot when I left. This is the most political activity I've seen in four+ years of living in north DFW.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zwabu posted:

Did Wendy Davis do anything remotely like the retail politics roadshow Beto has been doing?

No, and that was a big part of her problem. The other was her campaigning as a centrist.

She was always going to lose, but she lost way worse than she had to.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Davis phoned it in to an incredible degree. It was like she was already planning her post-election-loss career during the campaign.

e: ^^^^ as this poster said, her campaign was "im like a republican but pro choice" which unsurprisingly appealed to absolutely nobody

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, and that was a big part of her problem. The other was her campaigning as a centrist.

She was always going to lose, but she lost way worse than she had to.

Yeah I seem to remember it as: made a huge splash with filibuster, then total milquetoast campaign messaging and flamed out with a result no better than or even worse than typical Dem candidate in the current era of Texas politics.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shear Modulus posted:

Davis phoned it in to an incredible degree. It was like she was already planning her post-election-loss career during the campaign.

Trump was doing this too but look what happened.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

She was doing the governor's run as a good bye tour since she was redistricted out of her senate seat and no one really cared or thought she had a chance but then the filibuster went viral and the race got a bunch of attention and everyone had to pretend all of a sudden that she had a chance and it was a real race.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Trabisnikof posted:

She was doing the governor's run as a good bye tour since she was redistricted out of her senate seat and no one really cared or thought she had a chance but then the filibuster went viral and the race got a bunch of attention and everyone had to pretend all of a sudden that she had a chance and it was a real race.

Yeah but a lot of people were at least hoping she'd do enough work to make the Republicans sweat and burn some money in Texas that could have been better spent elsewhere. Even if she couldn't have won she could have done her best to tie their shoelaces together.

Of course unlike Beto as stated she was a classic, boring :decorum: democrat. Beto's realized that the real way to get votes/attention is to be an utter firebrand.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah but a lot of people were at least hoping she'd do enough work to make the Republicans sweat and burn some money in Texas that could have been better spent elsewhere. Even if she couldn't have won she could have done her best to tie their shoelaces together.

Of course unlike Beto as stated she was a classic, boring :decorum: democrat. Beto's realized that the real way to get votes/attention is to be an utter firebrand.

that cant be right, ive read many new york times columns that make clear that the people are yearning to vote for boring empty suits without a single memorable position

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Trump was doing this too but look what happened.

I mean, true, but Donald also yelled and moaned a lot, and there are those for whom that is a powerfully sympathetic message.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump was planning for trump tv but he was also campaigning as if he was actually trying to win. he was doing rallies daily in the exact swing states he needed to win and deindustrialized towns he had been making the biggest inroads of swing voters all campaign

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Shear Modulus posted:

that cant be right, ive read many new york times columns that make clear that the people are yearning to vote for boring empty suits without a single memorable position

If Beto wins it will mark the deathknell of the centrists. Because if he wins Texas with a MFA, abolish ICE and Impeach Trump platform it will prove that it can win anywhere.

I'd say that I hope that he wins, but as a lifelong liberal Texan, I don't want to jinx it.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Betos signs are interesting because hes been charging for them. Say what you want but Democrats keep beating campaign finance records in this state.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Having seen neither sign nor sticker for either candidate I can only conclude one thing.

This election is fake news.

fakeedit: though it does occur to me that the reason I don't have to deal with campaign calls is because I never answer unknown numbers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see a lot of Beto signs here in AUSTING TEXAS so he's got it in the bag baby

https://twitter.com/briannasttone/status/1024308748205076482

Ughhhh this is gonna be a thing next session.

THERE ARE NO RISKS WITH VACCINATION

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 31, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
There is a very, very slight chance of having a bad reaction to a vaccination, but those are due to allergies and not a problem with the vaccines themselves.

And either way, it still beats diptheria

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

There is a very, very slight chance of having a bad reaction to a vaccination, but those are due to allergies and not a problem with the vaccines themselves.

And either way, it still beats diptheria

And herd immunity is a thing for those who can't get vaccinations (for example because of biologic medications they take because they are immunocompromised)

Get loving vaccinated :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cons of not vaccinating your kids: they may die of rubella

pros: owns the libs