Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

business hammocks posted:

I guess I never associated the Hell's Angels with screen-print sweatshirts. I really miss living in a time when you could see nazi iconography and reasonably assume it wasn't endorsing nazism.
They're still lovely people though. People are really stupid and think biker gangs aren't bad scary gangs like the Crips or the Bloods because they're white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Casimir Radon posted:

They're still lovely people though. People are really stupid and think biker gangs aren't bad scary gangs like the Crips or the Bloods because they're white.

Yeah I mean, there's no reason you can cite that's going to make me excuse anyone using Nazi iconography. Even if they "Don't mean it that way" or it's some kind of Sid Vicious faux edgy bullshit they're still making light of the loving holocaust either as some half assed counter cultural statement or to make people uncomfortable for their own amusement like some proto-4chan bullshit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nothing's cooler than video vinyl.

CED actually plays a significant part in what's considered a special edition. Lots of firsts.

The CED of Amarcord was the first official letterboxed home video release in the US - beating Manhattan by eight months.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was released on CED in 1984 with the "director's cut" (the extra 30 second scene), letterboxed, and with the trailer after the film. A year earlier, it was released on laserdisc cropped to 4x3, without the extra scene, and no trailer. This "bonus" version wouldn't surface on laserdisc until the 1993 Criterion laserdisc!

A lot of titles were billingual by simply encoding the analog stereo track with two mono tracks of different languages. This is something laserdisc would later adopt with Criterion's audio commentaries and later splitting up to three tracks when digital audio came into being (digital usually being the original sound, the analog being a split between a commentary and maybe a music-only track).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Tech Moan is my second favorite youtube channel after hbomberguy. I'm guessing most people here have checked it out but if not you'll want to. There's some really fascinating stuff on there about defunct and obscure video and audio formats, even poo poo I've never heard of before.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Tech Moan is my second favorite youtube channel after hbomberguy. I'm guessing most people here have checked it out but if not you'll want to. There's some really fascinating stuff on there about defunct and obscure video and audio formats, even poo poo I've never heard of before.

That's one I'm subscribed to but never really get around to

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of titles were billingual by simply encoding the analog stereo track with two mono tracks of different languages. This is something laserdisc would later adopt with Criterion's audio commentaries and later splitting up to three tracks when digital audio came into being (digital usually being the original sound, the analog being a split between a commentary and maybe a music-only track).

Years later, official VCD did the same thing with putting Mandarin on one channel, and Cantonese on the other. In the west, the option to isolate one channel was pretty rare on players so these releases were a bit of a nightmare as all we’d hear was a garbled mess. Luckily a lot of TVs had balance controls at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And the other video vinyl format had a proper 3D system in the 80's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWLaAwr3sM&t=337s

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What's great is that his videos are amazingly well-produced, even for something he's doing just as a hobby. It's funny how there's this "professional" content that's full of time wasting garbage, while Mat is able to make a 30 minute video on a dead format in his garage that's riveting.

And the Muppet stingers are the best.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I been watching a lot of his video since they were linked a few pages ago. I want to find more Youtube channels like him or My Life in Gaming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have mental images of one of those YouTube celebrity cons happening, except it features people like TechMoan and we’re all 30 and 40 year old dudes fanboying out. His channel is great, and if you’re new to him there’s so much good archive stuff to go through. He obviously makes decent money off it too, as some of his pursuits (like that new HD LaserDisc thing) are very expensive. His main setup he has for audio is lovely, too.

E: and while we’re recommending similar channels, Technology Connections is good too. He explains how TV works and covers old formats too (I noticed he had a MUSE LaserDisc video up two months ago, poor Mat got beaten on his $thousands venture. Here’s an example of one he did of VHS vs Betamax that I remember being neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKRubB5N60

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 30, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Went w “A Fish Called Wanda” and “Deep Red” for the Arrow sale. I’ve seen Wanda but Deep Red was kind of an impulse. My GF and I were at a revival showing of Basic Instinct last week and the theater ran a trailer for Deep Red that had her geeked. I’m in because I grabbed Suspiria but haven’t watched it so I figure why not get some more Dario, and the lead in Deep Red is the lead in Blow Up.

So, what’s everyone’s recent sight unseen buys?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Waiting for payday before placing my Arrow order, but a lot of my July blind-buys are Criterions from the B&N sale:

Tom Jones, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, In the Mood for Love, Dietrich and Von Sternberg in Hollywood (except for The Scarlet Empress), Naked Lunch, Blow Out, King of Jazz, and One Eyed Jacks. Still making my way through them, but King of Jazz was an absolute blast. It's early Technicolor and early sound (from 1930), but it has some really stunning camera work and lighting. Also has some really bawdy pre-code humor. One bit with a man talking to his fiancee's father goes like this:

Father: You do know that with marriage also comes children?
Guy: I don't know, we've been lucky so far. :v:

The restoration looks amazing. Most early Technicolor (2-color) only survives as prints, so it's neat seeing it taken from camera negative since it looks stunning.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

What's great is that his videos are amazingly well-produced, even for something he's doing just as a hobby. It's funny how there's this "professional" content that's full of time wasting garbage, while Mat is able to make a 30 minute video on a dead format in his garage that's riveting.

This is so much of YouTube. Just really well-produced super niche stuff getting in the low-thousands of views while sloppy trash gets millions. I'm subscribed to something like 200 channels of the most niche stuff you could imagine and I'm constantly blown away by the quality of most of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

And the Muppet stingers are the best.

That's because he shelled out enough for a quality setup. The biggest gripe I have about youtube and podcasts is production quality, just because anyone can put out something for free doesn't mean they should. Honestly I can't stand a podcast with consistently poor audio quality, which is the reason I've never gotten into it.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Went w “A Fish Called Wanda” and “Deep Red” for the Arrow sale. I’ve seen Wanda but Deep Red was kind of an impulse. My GF and I were at a revival showing of Basic Instinct last week and the theater ran a trailer for Deep Red that had her geeked. I’m in because I grabbed Suspiria but haven’t watched it so I figure why not get some more Dario, and the lead in Deep Red is the lead in Blow Up.

Vinegar Syndrome, I give them money to just send me their latest blu-rays every month

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m in because I grabbed Suspiria but haven’t watched it so I figure why not get some more Dario, and the lead in Deep Red is the lead in Blow Up.

It's a weird experience to watch Deep Red after Blow-Up, because David Hemmings actually acts in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I blind-bought Stalker a few sales ago and I doubt that one will ever be topped. Nothing like blind-buying a movie and immediately after a few minutes you already know you're going to be watching it again and again. That movie infected my brain, I was thinking about it for months.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

I've been trying to cut back on the blind buys lately, but this year I did get both the Dekalog and Jacques Demy box sets. Haven't finished either yet, but what I've watched so far both have been amazing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

CED actually plays a significant part in what's considered a special edition. Lots of firsts.

The CED of Amarcord was the first official letterboxed home video release in the US - beating Manhattan by eight months.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail was released on CED in 1984 with the "director's cut" (the extra 30 second scene), letterboxed, and with the trailer after the film. A year earlier, it was released on laserdisc cropped to 4x3, without the extra scene, and no trailer. This "bonus" version wouldn't surface on laserdisc until the 1993 Criterion laserdisc!

Laserdisc had support for bilingual audio pretty early on. There's a video of a very 70s Leonard Nimoy taking to a laserdisc player and demonstrating it's features. The bilingual audio was shown on a football disc - one channel had the commentary, and the other just had the game sounds.

CED is fascinating because by all accounts, it was the sunk cost fallacy taken to an extreme. RCA spent a lot of money trying to developed the format, and once laserdisc hit the market, they kept trying to develop CED instead of just accepting it was done.

The format had all the drawbacks of laserdisc with the picture quality of VHS and the issues that come with a record.

It's a bizarre product - both ahead and behind the times.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

Waiting for payday before placing my Arrow order, but a lot of my July blind-buys are Criterions from the B&N sale:

Tom Jones, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, In the Mood for Love, Dietrich and Von Sternberg in Hollywood (except for The Scarlet Empress), Naked Lunch, Blow Out, King of Jazz, and One Eyed Jacks.

One Eyed Jacks is unbelievably good, I bought it blind since I was intrigued by the notion of a movie Kubrick walked away from and it bowled me the gently caress over. Blow Out is easily my favorite De Palma. In The Mood For Love is basically the most beautiful movie ever. Mishima is maybe my favorite movie ever (Criterion's packaging is also extremely awesome) . tl;dr these are all very good purchases.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bought Scanners recently since I've enjoyed Cronenberg's sci-fi body stuff (Videodrome, Existenz, etc.) but aside from the 80s Canadian mall footage, there wasn't really much for me here... the acting - especially the main character - was pretty bad and nothing really gripped me.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Scanners is... fine. But Cronenberg's big breakthrough was Videodrome, and pretty much all of his worthwhile movies came out post-Videodrome.

I only watched Scanners recently, and all I remember is my anticipation of That Head Exploding Scene. And then the guy's head exploded and I laughed, 'cause I remembered it from literally every gif and video of it and reference to it!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really dig The Brood :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really dig The Brood :shrug:

The Brood is fuckin' great, it's my favorite film of his. Videodrome is a close second of course. Also a big fan of eXistenz.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You can tell Cronenberg went through a nasty divorce when he made The Brood, because it reads like an MRA fantasy at times; the story of a nice guy that has to fight both liberal courts discriminating against men and his psychotic ex-wife who's being empowered by bleeding-heart modern psychiatry.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I bought Phantom of the Paradise recently. I’m going to try and hold off to the October horror thread before watching it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Samuel Clemens posted:

You can tell Cronenberg went through a nasty divorce when he made The Brood, because it reads like an MRA fantasy at times; the story of a nice guy that has to fight both liberal courts discriminating against men and his psychotic ex-wife who's being empowered by bleeding-heart modern psychiatry.

Oh I’m not defending any subtext at all, I just dig late 70’s horror in general and the kids in The Brood are absolutely brutal. I really like the bizarre new agey doctor as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I bought Phantom of the Paradise recently. I’m going to try and hold off to the October horror thread before watching it.

That's a mistake.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Glad to know I’m not the only one holding off on watching newly-bought horror movies until Spooky Movie Month.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

You're in for quite the treat

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Go ahead and watch it. If you love it as much as I did, you’ll want to rewatch it several times before the year is out. I’m planning on getting the Universal Horror box set with 31 films on Blu Ray for October. One a day.

I don’t know if that or Liquid Sky are my favorite blind buys from last year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

I guess I should find someone who can transfer the Betamax tapes?

You'd have to pay for shipping, but AV Media Geeks here in Madison has done amazing work for me in the past.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I picked up Stalker during last year’s sale and Scanners this year as blind buys. Still haven’t watched Stalker. It’s tough for me to commit to a 3hr movie in my place sometimes because I get antsy for chores, etc.

There’s an Alamo Drafthouse opening in my city and they’re doing a showing of the 4K Lawrence of Arabia print. I can’t do it but gently caress I want to so bad.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

I just finished watching Irma Vep, my latest blind buy, and I’m not sure I’ll enjoy a film more all year. What the gently caress was *that*?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I saw Scanners for the first time the other day and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I've never seen any of Cronenberg's other films but I thought it would be more like a 'David Lynch does sci-fi' kinda thing, when it was pretty much just 'the movie where the guy's head explodes'. Special effects were good though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Monday_ posted:

I saw Scanners for the first time the other day and it wasn't what I was expecting at all. I've never seen any of Cronenberg's other films but I thought it would be more like a 'David Lynch does sci-fi' kinda thing, when it was pretty much just 'the movie where the guy's head explodes'. Special effects were good though.

Despite being one of his best known movies I consider Scanners to be a pretty minor entry in Cronenberg's filmography. Check out The Brood or Dead Ringers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's all uphill from there till A Dangerous Method. Go chronologically from where you are, then go backwards to his best film, Fast Company!

I suppose the post-VHS generation aren't discovering him through The Fly any more. That is the perfect introduction.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 31, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

Glad to know I’m not the only one holding off on watching newly-bought horror movies until Spooky Movie Month.

I bought Christmas Evil around March last year and I waited until December to watch it. That was a mistake

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I picked up Stalker during last year’s sale and Scanners this year as blind buys. Still haven’t watched Stalker. It’s tough for me to commit to a 3hr movie in my place sometimes because I get antsy for chores, etc.

There’s an Alamo Drafthouse opening in my city and they’re doing a showing of the 4K Lawrence of Arabia print. I can’t do it but gently caress I want to so bad.
Brand new Alamo Drafthouse in the Twin Cities showing Lawrence of Arabia and Blade Runner: Final Cut and here I am out of the country.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I suppose the post-VHS generation aren't discovering him through The Fly any more. That is the perfect introduction.

God drat kids don't know how good they got it. In my day, we built our "library" by buying tapes out of the rental store's "we don't need this many copies of this movie anymore" bin. Now they just Snapchat up every movie a director made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Egbert Souse posted:

Go ahead and watch it. If you love it as much as I did, you’ll want to rewatch it several times before the year is out. I’m planning on getting the Universal Horror box set with 31 films on Blu Ray for October. One a day.

I don’t know if that or Liquid Sky are my favorite blind buys from last year.

I probably won’t have a chance to watch any move start to finish for at least the next week, and I start my Halloween watching in September so I’ll just hold off until then.