Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Astros offense is sooooo bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Intruder posted:

The Astros offense is sooooo bad

Luckily they just got significantly more offensive.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

alpha_destroy posted:

Luckily they just got significantly more offensive.

:captainpop:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/pedrogomezESPN/status/1024145006326505473

(he meant haboob)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Kirios posted:

Considering how they have the best player since Barry Bonds you have to throw the Angels into the mix. They're about to lose Mike Trout in a couple of years and they have won zero playoff games with him.

You can fault the Angels for failing to build around a generational talent but I don't really consider one playoff appearance as a window. It's pretty interesting how teams have done in the post wild card expansion era:

The Champions

Giants: 2 Wild Card wins, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS wins, 2 World Series wins, 1 LDS loss, 8-1
Royals: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS wins, 1 World Series win, 1 World Series loss, 6-1
Cubs: 1 Wild Card win, 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 2 LCS losses, 6-2
Astros: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 1 LDS loss, 4-1
Red Sox: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 1 LDS loss, 3-1

The Almost-Got-Theres

Cardinals: 1 Wild Card win, 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 LDS loss, 2 LCS losses, 1 World Series loss, 5-4
Dodgers: 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 2 LDS losses, 2 LDS losses, 1 World Series loss, 4-5
Tigers: 2 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 LDS loss, 1 LDS loss, 1 World Series loss, 3-3
Mets: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 World Series loss, 2-2
Indians: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LCS loss, 1 World Series loss, 2-3

The On-the-Doorsteps

Blue Jays: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS losses, 3-2
Yankees: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 1 Wild Card loss, 2 LCS losses, 3-3
Orioles: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss, 1 LCS loss, 2-3

The Well-At-Least-We-Won-The-Play-Ins

Diamondbacks: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS loss, 1-1
Rays: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS loss, 1-1
Pirates: 1 Wild Card win, 2 Wild Card losses, 1 LDS loss, 1-3

The 0-Fors

Rockies: 1 Wild Card loss
Twins: 1 Wild Card loss
Angels: 1 LDS loss
Braves: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Reds: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Athletics: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Rangers: 1 Wild Card loss, 2 LDS losses
Nationals: 4 LDS losses

Of those I'd say that Texas and Washington are the biggest misses when it comes to playoff windows in this decade.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hilariously enough, Brewers and Dodgers had a power outage too.

CubsWoo posted:

You can fault the Angels for failing to build around a generational talent but I don't really consider one playoff appearance as a window. It's pretty interesting how teams have done in the post wild card expansion era:

The Champions

Giants: 2 Wild Card wins, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS wins, 2 World Series wins, 1 LDS loss, 8-1
Royals: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS wins, 1 World Series win, 1 World Series loss, 6-1
Cubs: 1 Wild Card win, 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 2 LCS losses, 6-2
Astros: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 1 LDS loss, 4-1
Red Sox: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 World Series win, 1 LDS loss, 3-1

The Almost-Got-Theres

Cardinals: 1 Wild Card win, 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 LDS loss, 2 LCS losses, 1 World Series loss, 5-4
Dodgers: 3 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 2 LDS losses, 2 LDS losses, 1 World Series loss, 4-5
Tigers: 2 LDS wins, 1 LCS win, 1 LDS loss, 1 LDS loss, 1 World Series loss, 3-3
Mets: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 World Series loss, 2-2
Indians: 1 LDS win, 1 LCS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LCS loss, 1 World Series loss, 2-3

The On-the-Doorsteps

Blue Jays: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 2 LCS losses, 3-2
Yankees: 1 Wild Card win, 2 LDS wins, 1 Wild Card loss, 2 LCS losses, 3-3
Orioles: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS win, 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss, 1 LCS loss, 2-3

The Well-At-Least-We-Won-The-Play-Ins

Diamondbacks: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS loss, 1-1
Rays: 1 Wild Card win, 1 LDS loss, 1-1
Pirates: 1 Wild Card win, 2 Wild Card losses, 1 LDS loss, 1-3

The 0-Fors

Rockies: 1 Wild Card loss
Twins: 1 Wild Card loss
Angels: 1 LDS loss
Braves: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Reds: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Athletics: 1 Wild Card loss, 1 LDS loss
Rangers: 1 Wild Card loss, 2 LDS losses
Nationals: 4 LDS losses

Of those I'd say that Texas and Washington are the biggest misses when it comes to playoff windows in this decade.

I'm the lack of the Brewers, or did you not bother including teams that didn't even make it since they went to 2 WC teams?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Really like the Duvall trade. AA has improved the team without giving up anybody with a future in Atlanta, and they might not actually need to add an expensive piece to grab the wild card lotto ticket.

Speaking of pitchers who need a change of scenery, I kind of half expect Teheran to get traded somewhere still. Can’t see him being a big part of the team plans going forward.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I wonder what else AA has up his sleeve if he's dumping three bad players off the 40 man like that.

Allard gets one spot, Touki might get another. Not completely out of the question to see Kyle Wright before September either.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Yeah I forgot the ones that haven't made it yet: Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Miami, San Diego, the White Sox and Seattle - though I think 3 of those could probably break their droughts this year. Kind of amazing that 24 out of the 30 teams have at least made a wild card game in the last 6 seasons.

iospace posted:

I'm the lack of the Brewers, or did you not bother including teams that didn't even make it since they went to 2 WC teams?

Yeah this is post-expansion to 10 teams in the playoffs.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1024153562316787713

sure, why not, he can't cost much

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really really want the Mariners to at least get to the Wild Card game this year.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

if there's one thing the Cubs need for the playoff push, it's a late-30s reliever who hasn't had a positive WAR or a triple digit ERA+ in two seasons that already has over 50 innings of work on his arm before August

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

I can see their plight. The NL East is no longer trash with the Braves/Phillies having gotten good and looking like they'll only be better next year, so the Nats have stiff competition going forward. They only have two good starters, Scherzer who realistically can't defy the aging curve forever (although for now he's otherworldly and the only thing keeping them afloat) and Strasburg who can't stay healthy to save his life. Their IF is anchored by Turner who is legit fantastic, but otherwise you've got Adams who's gone after this year, Rendon who's been reliable but otherwise average outside his otherworldly 2017, and Zimmerman/Murphy/Difo/Reynolds who are all old, bad, or both. Their catcher situation is a trainwreck. In the OF Soto looks legit and Eaton would be a perennial AS for them if he could stay healthy (which he can't), so if Harper walks they have to really hope Michael Taylor can remember he's supposed to be good. Their bullpen is cobbled together with guys who all walk this offseason except Doolittle so they're basically going to have to go out and buy a whole new bullpen.

tl;dr If they want to stay relevant in the NL East they'd need to resign Harper, sign at least 1-2 quality starters to shore up the rotation, sign 2-3 quality relievers to shore up the bullpen, sign a second baseman, sign a first baseman, and sign a catcher this coming offseason. Not impossible, particularly given how much money comes off the books after this season, but it's a tall order.

They can essentially return the same team next year as this with Robles replacing Harper and the ability to spend 40 million dollars to find pitching and an infielder and catcher. So unless you think this version of the Nationals is bad and not just under performing their pythag for whatever reason, theirs zero reason to think that next year the window is closed.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

I think that on paper the 2019 Nats are the second or third best team in the NL East and that position is incredibly fragile/based around the health of the 265 million dollars they have committed to two players

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Yikes that would be an awful pickup. We already have a sidearm RHP who's performing at a way higher level. The pen needs a reliable LHP. Obviously that would be expensive, but Ziegler feels like it would be a move for the sake of making a move.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ziegler has been really good since april. he's gained like 2 or 3mph on his fastball in that time. obviously the cubs will need to research this more, but i don't think this is bad at all, especially when he'll come for basically free. low risk, high reward situation.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How does he improve our pen? He can't replace any of the lefties because ~matchups~, he's worse than Chavez, Strop, Cishek, and Edwards, and Chatwood can't be bumped unless he's put on a phantom DL stint. Morrow is also presumably going to be back at some point too.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
At least he's not an abuser

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1024163125027852288?s=20

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you absolutely can replace duensing, and they should. keep wilson and rosario as your loogys

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Really like the Duvall trade. AA has improved the team without giving up anybody with a future in Atlanta, and they might not actually need to add an expensive piece to grab the wild card lotto ticket.

Speaking of pitchers who need a change of scenery, I kind of half expect Teheran to get traded somewhere still. Can’t see him being a big part of the team plans going forward.

I've been wanting Wisler to succeed so bad, but he's never been able to get back what he had when he came up originally. Sims has been rocked every time he's been on the mound. I keep forgetting Tucker even exists.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Kinda weird. They've already got three righties that have pitched well-enough out of the pen this year (Crick, Santana, Rodriguez).

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Braves trade addendum: Wisler and Tucker were out of options at the end of the year. They weren't going to be part of any future in Atlanta anyway.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hey Theo, bring back Starlin Castro you dingus

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

on the other hand, don't

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The Dodgers are just going to to hold off on acquiring any quality relievers at the deadline in hopes that our surplus of starters will transition effectively to the bullpen, aren't they :negative:

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Hearn was one of the two players the Rangers got in the deal.

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1024177953352101888

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

The Dodgers are just going to to hold off on acquiring any quality relievers at the deadline in hopes that our surplus of starters will transition effectively to the bullpen, aren't they :negative:
Makes sense considering the circumstances. There aren't a lot of appealing options on the trade block, while internal options look quite good. IF everyone stays healthy, by late September they could have a rotation of Kersh. Hill, Wood, Buehler, Ryu with Maeda/Strippling/Urias all in the pen. Maeda and Strip both have a good trackrecord out of the pen, and they've already said they'd like to limit Urias to bullpen work this year as he comes back from injury.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

IF everyone stays healthy,

lol

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Hearn was a throw-in with Felipe Vazquez (then Rivero) from the Melancon to the Nats deal at the 2016 deadline. I don't know what the other piece of this deal is, but it looks pretty good for PIT so far.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Makes sense considering the circumstances. There aren't a lot of appealing options on the trade block, while internal options look quite good. IF everyone stays healthy, by late September they could have a rotation of Kersh. Hill, Wood, Buehler, Ryu with Maeda/Strippling/Urias all in the pen. Maeda and Strip both have a good trackrecord out of the pen, and they've already said they'd like to limit Urias to bullpen work this year as he comes back from injury.

If we can get somebody like Kyle Barraclough or Jose Leclerc without giving up Alex Verdugo, Keibert Ruiz, Dustin May or DJ Peters, its probably something we should do, especially if we can somehow manage to arrange for Logan Forsythe to be sent back the other way. My guess as to why nothing has happened so far is that the FO is waiting for a seller to get antsy right before the deadline and accept Forsythe + a higher-quality prospect package in return for a cost-controlled bullpen arm.

Also, Stripling has been quoted recently as saying that he feels like he's earned his rotation spot when he comes back from the DL. I mean, I guess he has no leverage, but its something to keep an eye on, and if this rest does the trick, then Alex Wood might be the better bullpen choice imo.

I'm all for Kenta moving to the pen though. Sucks for him due to his contract, but I think think the FO are just gonna have to be dicks in this case to improve the bullpen while also keeping us out of the luxury tax. Maybe offer to restructure his contract after the year so he's not at the mercy of games started and innings pitched for the next 6 years or so.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What else is there to do but hope enough guys stay healthy? I'm sure they'll find some interesting scrap heap pick ups tomorrow like they have in recent years, and at least one of them will work out OK.

edit: Stripling has seen a steady velocity drop the past few months so he likely benefits more from the lightened workload.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 31, 2018

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sydin posted:

I can see their plight. The NL East is no longer trash with the Braves/Phillies having gotten good and looking like they'll only be better next year, so the Nats have stiff competition going forward. They only have two good starters, Scherzer who realistically can't defy the aging curve forever (although for now he's otherworldly and the only thing keeping them afloat) and Strasburg who can't stay healthy to save his life. Their IF is anchored by Turner who is legit fantastic, but otherwise you've got Adams who's gone after this year, Rendon who's been reliable but otherwise average outside his otherworldly 2017, and Zimmerman/Murphy/Difo/Reynolds who are all old, bad, or both. Their catcher situation is a trainwreck. In the OF Soto looks legit and Eaton would be a perennial AS for them if he could stay healthy (which he can't), so if Harper walks they have to really hope Michael Taylor can remember he's supposed to be good. Their bullpen is cobbled together with guys who all walk this offseason except Doolittle so they're basically going to have to go out and buy a whole new bullpen.

tl;dr If they want to stay relevant in the NL East they'd need to resign Harper, sign at least 1-2 quality starters to shore up the rotation, sign 2-3 quality relievers to shore up the bullpen, sign a second baseman, sign a first baseman, and sign a catcher this coming offseason. Not impossible, particularly given how much money comes off the books after this season, but it's a tall order.

There's a lot wrong here, but I'm most bothered by the idea that anyone can think Anthony Rendon is average. Since becoming a full time big leaguer he's put up single season fWARs of 6.8, 6.4, 4.4 and is projected to put up 5.0 this year. The only blip is his injury-shortened 2015. Anthony Rendon is incredible and always has been. I would legit prefer to see him extended/re-signed than Harper.

Also the Nats are clearing something like $80mil in payroll after this season. It is certainly true that next year's team will barely resemble the ones from the past 6 years, but their window doesn't appear to be closed at all. To say nothing of what potential returns they might get if they do decide to sell this year (which I think they should).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

skaboomizzy posted:

Hearn was a throw-in with Felipe Vazquez (then Rivero) from the Melancon to the Nats deal at the 2016 deadline. I don't know what the other piece of this deal is, but it looks pretty good for PIT so far.

Hearn is not bad though. I think he could wind up being a strong pitcher.

I do think this was the right move for the Pirates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is probably my OOTP brain talking, but why wouldn't the Nats trade Harper? It won't really affect their ability to potentially sign him as a FA (if that's their intent), and they really don't look like they're going to challenge for anything this year. Send him off for a couple of ML ready guys and see what happens next year.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
joe is pleased

https://twitter.com/ItsbuccnJoe59/status/1024284273950568448

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as is felipe

https://twitter.com/F_Vazquez73/status/1024287882587136000

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Edgar Santana, Keone Kela, Felipe Vázquez, and Richard Rodriguez are all under contract through 2020 at the earliest.

I take back everything bad I've ever said about this organization. Build a statue of Neal Huntington and let him reign as my king.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Sid_Seixeiro/status/1024139053069787136

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think Teoscar Hernandez is the worst left fielder I have ever watched play defense. It's an anecdotal/small sample size judgement but watched quite a bit of Matt Kemp while he was in Atlanta and he at least makes errors look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tadashi posted:

I think Teoscar Hernandez is the worst left fielder I have ever watched play defense. It's an anecdotal/small sample size judgement but watched quite a bit of Matt Kemp while he was in Atlanta and he at least makes errors look good.

Phoneposting so someone please post dickshot.gif

• Locked thread