Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I went overboard with my recent Plantera kill and made a huge arena with honey ponds, heart lanterns, campfire, all possible buffs and flask of ichor, and heart statues on a timer. Beat him handily, then got Vampire Knifes(Crimson chest was just inside the dungeon) and now I can just walk up and kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

I dug out the entire temple surroundings to make a big "hyperloop" to kill plantera in so to speak

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I just looked for a decent space in the middle of the underground jungle and then bombed the poo poo out of it before putting in a bunch of plattforms

Probably too much but whatever. Boots and shield dodge where enough to keep me alive

Btw you can setup a farm for planterra if you want to get all the drops

I made this before the bulbs started to spawn. It's up to chance if bulbs will spawn there but eventually a couple should. Just clear out the bushes every now and then. If you're really patient you could collect a bunch of bulbs this way and then go hog wild

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget that if your arena is too big, Plantera will decide they're not in the jungle and enrage.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks everyone!!!!! I found yet another Planetera and am working on a 1.5 screen size arena using dynamite. Hopefully that's not too big. I'll post a pic when I've downed it.

I love this game so much and your support is awesome, really.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

My strat for Plantera is the same as my strat for the Moon Lord - cheese with minecarts. I just built a "circular" (more like a hexagon really) railway probably a little bigger than one screen size, put bumpers on each end so I can go forever, and just cheesed it with yo-yos.

Crude ASCII art ahoy, but expand it to a much bigger size (b = bumper, the rest are just rails):
pre:
       ,__________,
      /            \
     /              \
b__.<                >.__b
     \              /
      \            /
       .__________.
If you really want to be safe you can also throw heart statues with timers near the junctions and a campfire and heart lantern in the middle. You can adjust your speed so that he pretty much stays smack in the middle of it so you can just aim dead center and it's not a problem. You still get hit occasionally, but as long as your damage is pretty good and you have buffs going and health pots, you should be fine.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That's awesome, I think I'll try that!! I've got Amarok someplace.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Jaunty tunes for windy days and suicidal bunnies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecqe_U_IDCo

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Windy trees look slightly less rubbery than before, I think

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

Jaunty tunes for windy days and suicidal bunnies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecqe_U_IDCo

This is making me mad that some people will probably still never play this and continue thinking it's just a dumb Minecraft clone, despite how much success its had and work they've put into it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

This is making me mad that some people will probably still never play this and continue thinking it's just a dumb Minecraft clone, despite how much success its had and work they've put into it.

Thankfully it's not a Minecraft clone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lorini posted:

Thankfully it's not a Minecraft clone.

I'm talking about people who saw it at launch and then wrote it off.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

I'm talking about people who saw it at launch and then wrote it off.

I know, but hey it's their loss. I never wrote it off as a Minecraft clone but I must have tried to play it at least a dozen times. It finally clicked and now like I said, I love it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Beat the moonlord on my second try and got rewarded with a portal gun and the cat sword for my troubles :toot:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I used to think it looked like a game riding the success on Minecraft but both games have gone in very different directions, and Terraria keeps getting better while Minecraft keeps getting....Well not worse, just less interesting.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So when you reach and beat wave 15 in pumpkin/frost moon will the spawns just continue until 4:30?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tin Tim posted:

So when you reach and beat wave 15 in pumpkin/frost moon will the spawns just continue until 4:30?
Yes. And it's ridiculous. Enjoy fighting 6 pumpkings at once for the remainder.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Farming that is the goal of the event, since the bosses drop gently caress all before the last wave.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

You know, if red would update the game more than once every 3 years people might see it as something good.

Basically the only people who really care are those who've already purchased it and keep buying it for friends.

If he also added real mod support things would be better too.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

grimcreaper posted:

You know, if red would update the game more than once every 3 years people might see it as something good.

Basically the only people who really care are those who've already purchased it and keep buying it for friends.

Welcome back to the thread!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

grimcreaper posted:

It's not enough to repeatedly add ridiculous amounts of content to the game at no extra cost, he should be doing it faster?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

It's not enough to repeatedly add ridiculous amounts of content to the game at no extra cost, he should be doing it faster?

Considering that somehow most of his sales have been in the last year it probably wouldn't hurt to have some updates but Otherworld failing and the Switch port being the better part of a year behind schedule have killed any momentum they may have had on that regard. Remember when 1.3.5 was supposed to be a stopgap for the "real content patch" that 1.3.6 might end up being?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Welcome back to the thread!

Thanks for the warm words friend!

I like Terraria. It's a good game. But it feels like the content added is what most companies would do for mediumish dlcs. It shouldn't take multiple years for what's added.

At the very least they could add true mod support. It would hugely benefit the game I think.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it takes years to add because instead of doing it for cash under crunch they take their time and release it for FREE

yet that isn't good enough

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

grimcreaper posted:

Thanks for the warm words friend!

I like Terraria. It's a good game. But it feels like the content added is what most companies would do for mediumish dlcs. It shouldn't take multiple years for what's added.

At the very least they could add true mod support. It would hugely benefit the game I think.

the first content update basically doubled the amount of content in the game. the other content updates have been of similar size. those are not "mediumish dlcs", and most companies charge for that kind of update.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I do agree built-in mod support rather than having to patch the game with TModLoader would be great. (And it'd make the GOG version able to use mods, too, because none of the TML developers care about that one.)

For content updates, the first three major updates have been in 2011 (same year as release), 2013, and 2015. But there have been medium or minor content updates in 2014, 2016, and 2017 too. Hopefully 1.4 releases this year.

Meanwhile, Starbound has official mod support but no further content updates planned. As much as I love having mod support in games, one can't argue that Starbound is in a better state than Terraria. (And also Starbound's mod scene is terrible.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pretty sure mod support would require refactoring the entire game's code from the ground up, based on what I've heard of how it's coded. (badly)

This is why I keep expressing a wish to get mod support in Terraria 2, rather than it added to 1. It's much more likely to happen.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I mean I decompiled Terraria once when it was in 1.1 (when the mechanical bosses were new) and the thousands of items were all stored in a single indented if/else chain. There's no loving way they still use that method in the game's current state, it was already a hellscape to look at before new stuff got added. It's not out of the question to clean the code up further if you ask me, even if it would take quite an effort to do so.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Grimcreaped again :cheers:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I dunno, I feel like I've gotten my 10 bucks out of it :v:

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

I dunno, I feel like I've gotten my 10 bucks out of it :v:

I think I paid $20 for Terraria when it came out, though I'm not sure if I got my value from it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I think I paid $2.50 thanks to a pricing mistake in an early steam sale. I "only" have 171 hours but I'd say it was worth it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
"They should release more content faster, and also rewrite their game." That's not how this works.
Personally I'd rather have first class mod support rather than new content, but you have to accept that means they wouldn't produce any new content for possibly years.

I Said No posted:

I mean I decompiled Terraria once when it was in 1.1 (when the mechanical bosses were new) and the thousands of items were all stored in a single indented if/else chain. There's no loving way they still use that method in the game's current state, it was already a hellscape to look at before new stuff got added. It's not out of the question to clean the code up further if you ask me, even if it would take quite an effort to do so.

I remember when you posted that. (or some other time it was posted, idk.) Since it was decompiled, it's hard to say if they actually wrote that by hand or if the compiler produced it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Although I do wonder what's stopping them from releasing hotfix patches of urgent bugs for the current version separately from all the new code that they're working on. It's not like they forgot how the old code works or didn't keep a stable snapshot of it, it's what's still currently distributed. There's no reason not to have one of the programmers spend a few hours taking all the most major fixes they've decided on for the new code and doing just those things to the old code and releasing it.

Then they could say there, we released something this past three years, don't say we completely ignored you (mobile players especially) for that long consecutively. Don't say we just let you play with known major bugs for that long. Seems like the solution to their PR problems.

The crash bug that deletes the content of chests in mobile multiplayer, I'm looking at you. There's more too, people understand what a hotfix is and they would appreciate a handful of things like that patched in to show they still haven't forgotten you.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 3, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Except the mobile version is handled by another company.

Also lmao that is an extremely idealistic view of software engineering.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Releasing the same ancient code from three years ago with only a couple of the most problematic lines changed is an extremely idealistic view of software engineering?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Have they talked about their software development practices at all? I wouldn't be surprised if they did not have a snapshot of the code as it was 3 years ago.

And no they cannot just take the currently released version and work from that, that's compiled code not source code.

Basically always assume game developers are working in the most inconsistent and terrible set ups imaginable, because they usually are.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's terrifying. That right there is the post that convinced me to do formal version control from now on. No more doing everything on my local machine and then running an upload script. The next release I do of my game library is going on GitHub and getting all changes tracked from that point forward, even though it's just me working on it and no one uses it I won't risk going down a road where things like this are possible.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Good for you! I'm glad that convinced you to use something like GitHub. Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

The number of old games that can't be rereleased because the source code is just lost is staggering. Final Fantasy 7, for example. The PC release is the 1998 binary wrapped in a program that provides drivers and DRM. (Allegedly, anyway, I can't find a solid source for this.)

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Solumin posted:

Good for you! I'm glad that convinced you to use something like GitHub. Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

The number of old games that can't be rereleased because the source code is just lost is staggering. Final Fantasy 7, for example. The PC release is the 1998 binary wrapped in a program that provides drivers and DRM. (Allegedly, anyway, I can't find a solid source for this.)

Final fantasy 7 should have been lost before its first released. It was a bad game. Final fantasy 8 was solid gold though.