Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Konstantin posted:

I think that retail stores have a role to play. Cashiers can typically tell if someone is getting scammed, and giving them the authority to refuse the sale would help.

Mentioned upthread but every six months at my company we’re required to review a 30 minute training slideshow about Western Union and gift card sales. If something seems obviously shady between the dollar amount and the buyer’s behavior we’re required to call a manager for assistance. They even specifically call out scams like a grandparent convinced their grandchild is kidnapped or in legal trouble.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Money laundering has had an even crazier past than iTunes gift cards:

https://twitter.com/RobertWuhl/status/1023409462223093761

Pro-fuckin-click, I’m not sure what’s wilder, how people got away with it for as long as they did or the reason why most people don’t remember what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is a pro-read. Thanks!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Pro-fuckin-click, I’m not sure what’s wilder, how people got away with it for as long as they did or the reason why most people don’t remember what happened.

Yeah, through the whole thing I was thinking "How have I never heard about this?" and was honest to god expecting something at the end like "When he was asked how much he stole, he replied 'about tree fiddy'."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Depressio111117 posted:

My favorite thing is scammers getting mad that you won’t let them scam you. I remember one of the guys in those Lenny videos starts saying “gently caress you” after about twenty seconds.

This always gets me too. I had a Micorsoft WIndows Security Expert scammer call me and I strung him along a little until I finally told him I had a Mac and he was all "gently caress you , buddy!" It's like some rear end in a top hat almost running you off the road that cuts you off and they have teh audacity to flip you the bird and poo poo.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
A lot of the stores near me now have signage about the scams, train cashiers to warn people about scams when they buy more than $X amount of gift cards, and don't sell gift cards between 12:00 and 6:00.

According to a friend who works retail, lots of people ignore all of these to buy iTunes gift cards for the IRS.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I got a scam email the other day, basically saying they have compromising videos from my webcam and to pay or they’ll be made public. While obviously a scam (i don’t have a webcam for one), what’s scary is that they knew to include an actuall password I recognise as mine, though one I haven’t used anywhere relevant in ages.

Should probably scrub my pc or something...? I asume it’s some simple trick and if they really had access to my pc they’d clear out my bank account instead of this, but it still got me genuinelly spoked. :confused:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Avalerion posted:

I got a scam email the other day, basically saying they have compromising videos from my webcam and to pay or they’ll be made public. While obviously a scam (i don’t have a webcam for one), what’s scary is that they knew to include an actuall password I recognise as mine, though one I haven’t used anywhere relevant in ages.

Should probably scrub my pc or something...? I asume it’s some simple trick and if they really had access to my pc they’d clear out my bank account instead of this, but it still got me genuinelly spoked. :confused:

Maybe see if your email/password was leaked via a breach on haveibeenpwned.com?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

tight aspirations posted:

yeah that’s the current meta, spearfish using one of the million hacked email/password databases

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

tight aspirations posted:

Yep that’s it then, thanks. Got a match for a bunch of old games and stuff so it checks out.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Saeku posted:

A lot of the stores near me now have signage about the scams, train cashiers to warn people about scams when they buy more than $X amount of gift cards, and don't sell gift cards between 12:00 and 6:00.

According to a friend who works retail, lots of people ignore all of these to buy iTunes gift cards for the IRS.

How stupid do you have to be to not know that you can't pay fines/government debts with iTunes cards? Or is it the same mentality that causes people to buy a mirror in a box in a gas station parking lot because they think they're getting a brand-new iPad for $50? (i.e., I know I did/am doing something illegal, so I'll ignore the sketchieness of this.)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

MightyJoe36 posted:

How stupid do you have to be to not know that you can't pay fines/government debts with iTunes cards? Or is it the same mentality that causes people to buy a mirror in a box in a gas station parking lot because they think they're getting a brand-new iPad for $50? (i.e., I know I did/am doing something illegal, so I'll ignore the sketchieness of this.)

People simply panic. They consume media where the government sends out black-suit-with-sunglasses-goons after you in unmarked black vans. They imagine that and all rationality goes out of the window.

But yeah a guilty conscience probably doesn't help.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Namarrgon posted:

People simply panic. They consume media where the government sends out black-suit-with-sunglasses-goons after you in unmarked black vans. They imagine that and all rationality goes out of the window.

But yeah a guilty conscience probably doesn't help.

The main thing scammers rely on is lizard brain responses. It's why they try to fast talk you into starting the process before you have a chance to logically think it through. If they can get the adrenaline going and the lizard brain making decisions they can make you do stupid poo poo. Nobody is entirely immune to it which is why educating people on scams is so important. Even if you go into lizard brain mode you can see the pattern and go "wait this smells bad."

This is why scammers try to confuse and catch you off guard then often will keep you on the phone or thinking about how you have to have this poo poo in that guy's hands in 15 minutes. The goal is to keep you operating at a low lizard brain level so the holes won't show to the higher functions that can tell your lizard that it's a stupid lizard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

When I have the time, I enjoy loving with them back and wasting their time by pretending to play along. Or at least to since nowadays I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. I took great satisfaction in pissing them off and wasting their time.

For a bit there, when I got scams through the USPS that had SASE's, I'd take the contents from each and stuff them into the other unrelated envelopes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BiggerBoat posted:

When I have the time, I enjoy loving with them back and wasting their time by pretending to play along. Or at least to since nowadays I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. I took great satisfaction in pissing them off and wasting their time.

For a bit there, when I got scams through the USPS that had SASE's, I'd take the contents from each and stuff them into the other unrelated envelopes.

I do that with political fliers and surveys. I know that Americans For the Best of America want stuff from American Families For America.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The main thing scammers rely on is lizard brain responses. It's why they try to fast talk you into starting the process before you have a chance to logically think it through.

months ago my wife signed up for a 'free child safety kit!' and forgot about it. a few weeks ago some lady knocked on our door, and asked if we were still interested. i said sure, not knowing what was going on. she came inside and gave us our free kit - a brochure you could fill out with all your child's information, fingerprints, place to tape hair samples to, etc. the idea being that you could just give this to the cops in case your kid was abducted. she was sure to tell us that our city is a leading hub for child sex trafficking. thanks strange lady who is sitting at my table, i appreciate that

anyway she then started pitching us on life insurance. that's when it hit me, this was a saleswoman and my wife had signed us up on a leads list. so i'm thinking, how do i get this woman out of my house without being rude and just telling her to leave. she asks if i have life insurance, i say through my job. she says, "you understand if you dont have your job, you don't have that insurance?" yeah. no poo poo. i hadn't ever considered that my work benefits go away if i change jobs. thanks

so she starts in on the hard sell, "if you were to die who would take care of your family?" at this point i'm fed up with her so i just say "not my problem, i'm dead. we aren't interested in anything you want to sell us" and it was awkward for a minute as she collected her things to leave

yeah scammers and shady salespeople will try to terrify you to move product. fuckers

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I kinda feel like the answer to this is to just feel free to be “rude.” I mean, you realized pretty quickly what’s up, and odds are that you’d never rub shoulders with this saleswoman again, so why worry about snubbing her?

But I’m pretty much an antisocial rear end in a top hat at this point. I don’t bother answering my front door unless I’m expecting my buddies or expecting a delivery. 9 times out of 10, it’s someone trying to get me to switch my electric provider.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Cute scam I came across, I need a new license and clicked the Google ad (the very first link, of course) fully knowing it would be a bit misleading, and after clicking any of the standard DMV services you're redirected to this great site

After 2 paragraphs of how important it is you have a valid license and making it look like this is where you'd order such thing, it tells you it's just a site that provides info that's totally free from the state, but for $24 you get comphrensive guide for DMV services from us

I can't imagine this exact thing is illegal, but it's lovely and I dunno if they could even take such sites down?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Not really a good story but close to home for me:

I worked in my states Office of Fair Trading for a time. We dealt with people who had issues with traders, products or services under the Australian Consumer Law as an intermediary body and a step before the courts. I left a year ago but in my new job by complete luck I'm only a few meters away from the dividing border of my old colleges and my new job. So I see them a lot.

Last week I overhead one of my former colleagues on the phone talking to a person I assumed to be a dodgy trader or scammer. I was half right, what I expected was us calling them. No the scammers themselves called my old office, got told who they had just called and then still tried their sales pitch (some bullshit about how the receiver of the call is owed a pile of money after an apparent car accident) not quite understanding what they'd just done.

Edit:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I remember a movie theater I worked at was really strict about the age limits for R-rated movies. People were shocked they couldn't just buy tickets for the two kids outside who I'd already told to take a hike.

And it was a small theater so if the kids successfully got a hold of the tickets they had to walk past me to go see the movie. I guess the thought process was that if they were holding the ticket I was powerless to stop them. "Oh no you got me go on in."

When I was just starting university I worked in a corner shop. We sold cigarettes as most do. Kids from the local expensive private boarding school would try to buy them all the time. poo poo was hilarious calling 16 and 17 year olds out on their poor attempts to seem 18.

The youngest person I ever had who tried to buy some surely must be a record though. She was about 4 or 5.

Walked in bold as brass with a 50 in hand and asked for a packet of 30 Horrizon Purples.

"I'm not selling you that love."
"Ok."

And out she walks to a car parked right infront of the shop door. I see movement in the driver side window and back in she comes.

"My auntie says that she had 3 babies in the car and can't come out do can you please sell me the smokes."
"No tell your aunt it's illegal."
"Ok."

Back she goes. More animated movement some muffled swearing and back in she comes.

"She said can YOU buy them for her and she will pay you back if you come outside."
"No. Please stop trying I'm not selling her any unless she comes in here herself."

So rather than play anymore back and forth I walked out to the door csude the shop was empty and saw the auntie was in fact a regular customer who disgusted me for various reasons but this was a new low. She gives me an earful about how she has babies in the car, she can't come out, she needs her smokes and how come I can't be a reasonable person.

So I told her that I don't give a drat and next time she comes back into my shop she better behave like an adult or I'll refuse her service. She threatened to complain to my boss and I laughed about it. Walked back inside and went out the back to the attached house where my boss lived and told him the story over lunch.

I saw her again like a week later and she was grumpy as poo poo at me brought her own drat smokes.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 2, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

stringball posted:

Cute scam I came across, I need a new license and clicked the Google ad (the very first link, of course) fully knowing it would be a bit misleading, and after clicking any of the standard DMV services you're redirected to this great site

After 2 paragraphs of how important it is you have a valid license and making it look like this is where you'd order such thing, it tells you it's just a site that provides info that's totally free from the state, but for $24 you get comphrensive guide for DMV services from us

I can't imagine this exact thing is illegal, but it's lovely and I dunno if they could even take such sites down?

I had something similar where i got some points on my license and wanted to attend traffic school. BE CAREFUL if you guys do an online one because a LOT of them are not accredited or licensed with the DMV so you're just wasting your money. Check the list on the DMV website for ones that are recognized by the State. A lot of the ones that aren't are among the first hits you'll get on a google search

I didn't get scammed but I easily could have.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

stringball posted:

Maybe copyright if they're reselling DMV pamphlets or something? If you were somehow able to reach a computer tech at the DMV (lol) they could probably talk to Google and get the ad pulled and the site shitlisted from search results but that's effort and a half.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

stringball posted:

Matthew Lesko has made his whole career about doing this. Though he at least gives you a physical copy and much more info in it for what you pay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiIdR-XVJg

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The best part of this article is when they say an FBI agent blamed McDonalds Monopoly for 9/11.

"Baker recalled that one of the FBI’s top agents, known as the “human lie-detector,” interrogated him, and added that if the FBI had focused on surveilling terrorists and not McDonald’s winners, 9/11 might never have happened."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I read that I read it as the accused blaming the FBI for 9/11

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah the proper reading of that is "Baker... added that if the FBI had focused on surveilling terrorists and not McDonald’s winners, 9/11 might never have happened."

He's mad that one of the FBI's top agents was after his millions in fraud instead of randomly searching Saudi nationals boarding planes.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

When I was just starting university I worked in a corner shop. We sold cigarettes as most do. Kids from the local expensive private boarding school would try to buy them all the time. poo poo was hilarious calling 16 and 17 year olds out on their poor attempts to seem 18.

I used to work at a CVS near my parents' house when I was 19-20 and there was somewhat large college nearby. Most of the students there were commuters, but there was a decent amount of students that lived on campus. It was fairly common for them to try all kinds of poo poo to buy cigarettes and alcohol. One girl comes to the counter on her cell phone loudly complaining that every store in town is rejecting her ID because it doesn't resemble her. She hands it to me while still on her phone and sure enough, the picture looks like someone else. I call my manager for assistance and she looks at me and says "wait, not you too? Come the gently caress on!" As my manager is walking up, a customer in back of her mentions that she saw this girl get out her phone and just start talking into it before she approached the counter. My manager arrives and he tells her she can't buy her six pack of Coronas. She slams the phone shut (it was an old flip style at the time) snatches the ID from his hand and knocks over a display of magazines on the counter on her way out.

Another time, some kid waited around near the register, pretending to be looking at the battery display case with a box of Miller Lite in his hand. He waits about 10 minutes, spending all that time perusing AA batteries until the line gets really long. He gets in at the end of the line, but unfortunately for him, the line doesn't fill back up behind him. He hesitantly looks behind himself the whole time while in line. When he finally arrives, he puts the beer on the counter and very quickly gets out his wallet to grab his cash. I ask him for ID, and he pretends he doesn't hear me and hands me the cash. I again ask him for ID, and he chuckles and says, "oh, right. Sorry!" He goes through his wallet and spends an unusually long amount of time going through all the different slots, probably hoping I'll just get tired waiting. He finally produces his ID and shows it to me with his thumb over the date of birth. I take it from his hand and he turns his face away and looks down at the candy below, his face turning red. He's 2 weeks shy of being 21. I tell him "look, buddy, you know I could call the police on you for this?" He starts sweating and begs me not to. I give him his ID and tell him to get lost. He slinks away and I pick up the phone and say loudly enough for him to hear "yes, this is the CVS on Adams road. Get the police, we have a fake ID situation." Of course I didn't actually make any call, but he thinks I did. He starts running out the door.

Maybe that was a mean-spirited thing to do, but gently caress kids like that who put me in that situation. Getting caught selling alcohol to a minor would have been instant termination and a $500 fine for the store and for the individual making the sale. A co-worker got busted on a sting a few months prior, and after that we were all on edge.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Meanwhile Japan has beer vending machines and public day drinking is socially acceptable, if it's obvious you're not working/driving. Come to paradise ^___^

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

peanut posted:

Meanwhile Japan has beer vending machines and public day drinking is socially acceptable, if it's obvious you're not working/driving. Come to paradise ^___^

I like how they made all the cigarette vending machines require ID, and yet anyone of any age can park themselves in front of a beer vending machine and get as hammered as they want.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

peanut posted:

If you watch old TV shows from the 1950s/1960s it's kind of jarring how the characters are drinking pretty much all the time.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

EKDS5k posted:

I like how they made all the cigarette vending machines require ID, and yet anyone of any age can park themselves in front of a beer vending machine and get as hammered as they want.

What's the alcohol age in Japan? I know a ton of countries aren't as restrictive as the US/Canada.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you watch old TV shows from the 1950s/1960s it's kind of jarring how the characters are drinking pretty much all the time.

And they would have given smokes for their other hand. Their beverage was usually not alcoholic.

Twelve takes twelve smokes no biggie.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

What's the alcohol age in Japan? I know a ton of countries aren't as restrictive as the US/Canada.

20 but lol

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

It's 20, but when I first lived there I was 21, and could have passed for 17, and I never once got carded. Same with any of the people in any of the groups I ever went out with. Nobody gives a poo poo.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 5, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Going from a video about video game bars, they also have fairly lax liquor license laws.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

zzuupp posted:

Their beverage was usually not alcoholic.

With the notable exception of the bar on The Match Game.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

We had a good laugh at work a couple weeks ago when a bunch of underage girls came into the restaurant and ordered drinks. First girl to get IDed smugly hands over "her" license to the server.
"This isn't you," server says, and calls for the manager.
"Wha... what do you mean, of course that's me!"
"No, it isn't. I graduated high school with her."

In a city of tens of thousands of people, this girl just happened to get the one waitress who personally recognized the name and photo of the real person in the ID. :lol:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Local one today - Colorado Springs had a horrific hail storm last week, with baseball-sized hail. I haven't lived in Colorado in about six years, but I still have a Colorado Springs number. I got a voicemail saying that houses in my neighborhood were severely damaged, with probable roof damage we couldn't even see! This company would be happy to come out and take a look and give me an estimate. The temptation to call them back and string them along by asking where, specifically, they think I live is strong.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
My friend just had an attempted phishing attempt at his work. Someone registered a super similar name to his company and sent him an email from the "CEO" and asked if they could go pick up something at the store. My friend has to do this occasionally for things like lunches or bagels for meetings and stuff. So he said, okay what do you need? And they replied 1000 dollars in itunes gift cards and they needed the number scanned in and sent to them. :lol: my friend obviously didn't fall for that part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A variation on a classic, from the spam folder:

Subject: PCH Lotto: Alert!!! Code..some code

Congratulation on winning 850,000.00 USD in our 2018 Pch Lottery.
Kindly send your contacts to
some other email
Given Names:
Address:
Telephone:
Publishers Clearing House
----------------------------------------------
© Copyright 2018 Publishers Clearing House. All Rights Reserved

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Depressio111117 posted:

Local one today - Colorado Springs had a horrific hail storm last week, with baseball-sized hail. I haven't lived in Colorado in about six years, but I still have a Colorado Springs number. I got a voicemail saying that houses in my neighborhood were severely damaged, with probable roof damage we couldn't even see! This company would be happy to come out and take a look and give me an estimate. The temptation to call them back and string them along by asking where, specifically, they think I live is strong.

I'm not sure this is necessarily a scam? I mean maybe at this point we can just presume any business that resorts to spam-dialing robocalls is shady in some way, but otherwise it's just a case of presuming someone who has a Colorado Springs phone number lives in Colorado Springs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Years old now so update 2005 to 2010, but still accurate.