Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Lane is good if you like shows that make you go "wtf did I just watch"?

FLCL is a fun animation experiment gone weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

watch Kirby: Right back at ya!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Leal posted:

The creators went back and re...dubbed? The Japanese version to make it more in line with the English version. That should say it all.

There's a few bad jokes that have aged poorly for various reasons but yeah

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

it really can't be said enough that with all this 'Hitler was basically an evil magician who cast a Lie Spell on Germany' revisionism around that Hitler and his inner circle GENUINELY believed almost everything about their race/nationalist propaganda and they represented a VERY real major thought line in their people. Multiple German generals literally thought that the average Soviet was basically a shaved ape who will bow to anyone who smacks them with a big stick.

It's also why Rommel's revisionism is bullshit too, he may not have thought Germany should put Jews in ovens but he also thought that because England had a very mild climate the english and US soldiers in North Africa were actually eager to give up and he could force surrenders with just a few good wins. That's also why his supply lines were so poo poo, he expected to have hordes of allies just laying their guns down and letting his men take their poo poo.

The Nazis were so loving stupid, guys. The western world was very nearly conquered by the dumbest pieces of poo poo in the modern age

oh yeah. nazis were weird dumb assholes who as funny person quoted "failed Calvary school and then became addicted to morphine and believed in magic". I find Rommel to be an interesting though massively over-hyped military figure. also, ill admit it but i was a bit of weheraboo when i was in elementary school, because in the weird history nerd childhood types, nazis are like dinosaurs for dumb kids who love history because big lovely tanks and hugo boss poo poo works for little brains.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

No, watch Kirby: Right back at ya!

watch yokai watch cartoon, its honestly pretty fun and sorta clever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

watch yokai watch cartoon, its honestly pretty fun and sorta clever.

Okay, I'll give it a shot! You should take a look at Howl's Moving Castle. It's a real fun adventure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, I'll give it a shot! You should take a look at Howl's Moving Castle. It's a real fun adventure.

sure, my girlfriend has all the gibili movies.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Soooo more fun happening in Big YouTube land with regards to that KSI-Logan Paul fight happening next month.

Logan Paul released a very whiny video about the press conference that happened recently in London (which was...well, chaos - basically a full-on roast from KSI which he had no response to) saying that everyone there was biased against him (or rather, they were "LOGAN PAUL HATERS") including True Geordie who moderated it. He and his team tried to get Geordie off the commentary team for the fight, and Geordie naturally responded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiAoS0TZbwo

Geordie naturally is more biased towards KSI, but that's hardly relevant seeing as the earlier LA press conference was moderated by Shannon Briggs (of "LET'S GO CHAMP" fame) who's very much in the Logan camp. In any case it seems like Paul had a problem with Geordie from a few months back, because of the video he made about Logan's jolly outing in the suicide forest. The main point of the response here being that Logan's been begging for forgiveness and yet he's not prepared to forgive someone who had a problem with what he did, which is just a little bit hypocritical. Oh, and Logan also called Geordie a "Doucheasaurus Rex" - I'm not sure if anyone from Newcastle's ever been called that before, so that's definitely a first.

Anyway, all the ridiculousness aside, this video has utterly blown the hell up. Geordie, outside of all this being involved with YouTube boxing fun, does run one of YouTube's absolute best channels and he now has an utterly deserved 1 million subs - I like that part of the story, because if a big sweary 30 year old Northern bastard/die hard Magpies fan can make a million subs then any fucker can. Oh, and he's also confirmed as commentating on the fight because tons of people pretty much said that there's no way they're going to pay to watch this gubbins without him.

Anyway, come to Geordie for this latest entry in YouTube drama, stay for the awesome podcasts where he chats with former professional hitmen, guys who spent time on death row and Robbie Williams.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dollar Tree $1.00 Cheese Stuffed Breadsticks! - WHAT ARE WE EATING?? - The Wolfe Pit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QabmQQegaOA

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Jim Sterling talks about No Man's Sky Next in specific, and mega patches in general.

I've never cared for NMS, but I do know the feeling of wanting to see a flawed game that you like have a chance to improve itself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Soooo more fun happening in Big YouTube land with regards to that KSI-Logan Paul fight happening next month.

Logan Paul released a very whiny video about the press conference that happened recently in London (which was...well, chaos - basically a full-on roast from KSI which he had no response to) saying that everyone there was biased against him (or rather, they were "LOGAN PAUL HATERS") including True Geordie who moderated it. He and his team tried to get Geordie off the commentary team for the fight, and Geordie naturally responded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiAoS0TZbwo

Geordie naturally is more biased towards KSI, but that's hardly relevant seeing as the earlier LA press conference was moderated by Shannon Briggs (of "LET'S GO CHAMP" fame) who's very much in the Logan camp. In any case it seems like Paul had a problem with Geordie from a few months back, because of the video he made about Logan's jolly outing in the suicide forest. The main point of the response here being that Logan's been begging for forgiveness and yet he's not prepared to forgive someone who had a problem with what he did, which is just a little bit hypocritical. Oh, and Logan also called Geordie a "Doucheasaurus Rex" - I'm not sure if anyone from Newcastle's ever been called that before, so that's definitely a first.

Anyway, all the ridiculousness aside, this video has utterly blown the hell up. Geordie, outside of all this being involved with YouTube boxing fun, does run one of YouTube's absolute best channels and he now has an utterly deserved 1 million subs - I like that part of the story, because if a big sweary 30 year old Northern bastard/die hard Magpies fan can make a million subs then any fucker can. Oh, and he's also confirmed as commentating on the fight because tons of people pretty much said that there's no way they're going to pay to watch this gubbins without him.

Anyway, come to Geordie for this latest entry in YouTube drama, stay for the awesome podcasts where he chats with former professional hitmen, guys who spent time on death row and Robbie Williams.

no offensive, but who are these people? i only know paul because of him gurgling next to a dead dude.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What is with the lead up for a couple of kids on youtube boxing? I swear the mayweather fight has less build up to it, this has been leading up for like 4 months now right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alacron posted:

Jim Sterling talks about No Man's Sky Next in specific, and mega patches in general.

I've never cared for NMS, but I do know the feeling of wanting to see a flawed game that you like have a chance to improve itself.

Does he mention The Witcher Enhanced Edition or Rome Total War 2 Emperor's Edition? Those two games are my go to for mega patches making a flawed product good.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Leal posted:

What is with the lead up for a couple of kids on youtube boxing? I swear the mayweather fight has less build up to it, this has been leading up for like 4 months now right?

Yeah this has been pushed to a quite nutso level, way beyond the first YouTube boxing match between KSI and Joe Weller which was watched by millions. So much so that it's going to be the first YouTube Pay-Per-View event. I'm pretty sure there's some big names involved in the promotion too (I know Dana White's on it).

It all seems pretty crazy for...well, two untrained 20 something's fighting each other but it's just getting eaten up. It's kinda like a big monetization of the whole YouTube drama thing that's always been popular - last year they did it with diss tracks, this year they're doing it with boxing. Tbh I'm not sure anyone's really going to lose out of it - boxing gets some publicity, both of them make a ton of cash, Logan Paul probably has KSI to thank for getting him mainstream attention that doesn't involve filming dead bodies...

Big YouTube is fun for all the drama and craziness and money involved - it's even more fun when these young millionaires are picking up gloves and punching each other in the ring.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does he mention The Witcher Enhanced Edition or Rome Total War 2 Emperor's Edition? Those two games are my go to for mega patches making a flawed product good.

another one is homefront the revolution was mega patched into its actually into a pretty good game now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCpNgAhUmw&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e87h2BLaWNU&t

Noah Caldwell-Gervais did a two parter on the game/s. like how the first one is giant piece of poo poo that gently caress up its own themes because it never challenges itself or does anything interesting in anyway and how the second one actually trys to meld the themes with the game play while still being fun and getting in with environmental story telling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And Homeworld Remastered's mega patch.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, he uses Final Fantasy XV as an example of making a good but flawed game better, but mostly he uses the video to talk about how "The game is good now" shouldn't be a free pass to forget how lovely a game was on release. Whipping boys this episode include No Man's Sky, Diablo 3, Shadow of War, and Sim City.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alacron posted:

No, he uses Final Fantasy XV as an example of making a good but flawed game better, but mostly he uses the video to talk about how "The game is good now" shouldn't be a free pass to forget how lovely a game was on release. Whipping boys this episode include No Man's Sky, Diablo 3, Shadow of War, and Sim City.

Well shadow of war is a good game now, most of the bad poo poo got fixed or redone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The point being that it released with bad poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

I swear the mayweather fight has less build up to it

Everyone knows by this point that Floyd only punches his family and his hugs are reserved for opponents.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lobster22221 posted:

Lane is good if you like shows that make you go "wtf did I just watch"?

FLCL is a fun animation experiment gone weird.

FLCL is one of those shows I'm almost certain is ruined more by its fans than by the show its self. It's like evangelion in that people will constantly praise it as being the best ever and recommend it to literally everyone, especially to people who've never watched anime before and aren't sure what kind of anime would be to their tastes. But it's like, pretty close to peak anime and it's incredibly overwhelming for a lot of people who don't already like anime and don't have a clue what to expect which will turn a lot of first time viewers away more than attract them.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Nuebot posted:

FLCL is one of those shows I'm almost certain is ruined more by its fans than by the show its self. It's like evangelion in that people will constantly praise it as being the best ever and recommend it to literally everyone, especially to people who've never watched anime before and aren't sure what kind of anime would be to their tastes. But it's like, pretty close to peak anime and it's incredibly overwhelming for a lot of people who don't already like anime and don't have a clue what to expect which will turn a lot of first time viewers away more than attract them.

That's a good point. I also should not have made recommendations in the first place given half of the previous conversation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ghostlight posted:

The point being that it released with bad poo poo.

tbh with games like Shadow of War and No Man's Sky it feels really lovely to lump them in with Sim City and all in that. Like, yea ok, we all agree there were problems with them at launch but...what are we supposed to pretend they're not in a way better place now than they were at launch, or does every commentary about how far they came need to come after a handwringing 'but guys remember it WAS bad'?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I barely watch anime these days, so I can't contribute that much, but I can recommend Monster and 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. They're both conspiracy thrillers with a lot of scope and characters, made by a talented artist with a unique aesthetic, though some of you might find that they both go on too long.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sexpig by night posted:

tbh with games like Shadow of War and No Man's Sky it feels really lovely to lump them in with Sim City and all in that. Like, yea ok, we all agree there were problems with them at launch but...what are we supposed to pretend they're not in a way better place now than they were at launch, or does every commentary about how far they came need to come after a handwringing 'but guys remember it WAS bad'?
It's not hand-wringing when the commentary is about how they were bad at release.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Shadow Of War should absolutely be lumped in with Sim City because they both introduced lovely online elements to single player games in an effort wring more money out of players, whether through always online DRM or awful lootbox gatcha mechanics. The fact that SoW dropped the lootboxes after they'd already made the bulk of their money is in no way praiseworthy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All these recommendations and nobody's mentioned Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto, disgraceful.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Noah Caldwell-Gervais has left another wonderful retrospective video under our tree. This one covers the Max Payne trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-4oSTboqE

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alacron posted:

And for some reason, this video isn't showing up in a lot of people's subscription feeds. Including mine. :tinfoil:

Nuebot posted:

I've noticed a big disconnect, at least for me, in anime fandom is whether you're into anime for the visuals or not. I've noticed that there's shows (like FLCL) whose popularity I could never understand, until I realized that a lot of the fans are just really, really into the awesomely done animation, to the point that it will get them through an otherwise mediocre show. (Not that FLCL is necessarily bad- I haven't seen it in years, so I can't remember well enough to judge- but I remember feeling tremendously underwhelmed when I did watch it.)

NGE is just one of those stories that was at just the right time for a lot of people growing up, where it offers a level of maturity and seriousness in a medium that's previously been experienced as lighthearted and goofy. And it took seriously a lot of tropes that hadn't been thoroughly examined much. It's basically Watchmen for giant robots, and much like Watchmen, it loses all of its punch once the genre's been filled up with a bunch of me-toos.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I've noticed a big disconnect, at least for me, in anime fandom is whether you're into anime for the visuals or not. I've noticed that there's shows (like FLCL) whose popularity I could never understand, until I realized that a lot of the fans are just really, really into the awesomely done animation, to the point that it will get them through an otherwise mediocre show. (Not that FLCL is necessarily bad- I haven't seen it in years, so I can't remember well enough to judge- but I remember feeling tremendously underwhelmed when I did watch it.)

I cheated when I watched FLCL because I had The AV Club's reviews of the show, which explained to me a lot of what the show was doing.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Alacron posted:

I decided to pick up No Man's Sky after a short preview trailer a couple of years before its released piqued my interest. After watching the trailer I basically developed a strong lack of interest in the hype machine part of games journalism, so ignored literally everything about that games PR. The closest I got was some brief browsing of its SA thread, but they were in the middle of a very lengthy multi page argument so I missed all of the promises. I actually really liked the game for what it was, been meaning to get back into for awhile now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Conal Cochran posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais has left another wonderful retrospective video under our tree. This one covers the Max Payne trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6-4oSTboqE

Finally, someone else who finds Max Payne 2 weirdly off.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I did basically the same thing and I enjoyed tinkering around in it for a short while, but it was a shallow pond. Though I did find a planet full of flying lampreys.

Having jumped back into Next, it's still the same kind of interactive toolbox, but it no longer feels quite as soulless - the third person camera makes a huge difference in the perceived physicality, so it's not quite so floaty feeling to move around, and the space stations have been completely redesigned so rather than docking and proceeding to the one-occupant service desk down the corridor there's now a deck full of aliens watching you land and talking amongst themselves. I haven't gotten up to any of the extra stuff like freighters, and I built one base which was kind of cool but I accidentally blew it up.

It's still not going to win any awards for compelling game loops, but it's kind of insane how much the game has been retooled without the publisher forcing it out as a DLC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solitair posted:

I barely watch anime these days, so I can't contribute that much, but I can recommend Monster and 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. They're both conspiracy thrillers with a lot of scope and characters, made by a talented artist with a unique aesthetic, though some of you might find that they both go on too long.

Monster is just plain good television, and you could safely recommend to to anyone who like drama shows in general.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Re: Anime Chat, you all make good arguments, but allow me to play my trump card.

https://twitter.com/Jakiba_/status/1024029927891513346

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
when is Todd going to do "Stacy's Mom"? HUH HUH

Edit: oh anime talk. May I suggest Paranoia Agent?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The only animes worth watching:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 1
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 2
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 3
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 4
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 5

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Just watch DBZ on loop from the beginning until Gohan gets his poo poo kicked in by Recoome and then start again

That's the proper anime experience

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Monster is just plain good television, and you could safely recommend to to anyone who like drama shows in general.

I never watched the anime of Monster past the first arc with The Baby, but yeah, it's a good adaptation. 20th Century Boys, meanwhile, was never animated. Instead, it was adapted into three live action movies that I have not seen because there's no way they aren't a downgrade from the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
also idk if Lindsay still reads this thread, but she shouldn't be ashamed that she thinks that the cinderella sequel was "the least worst of the bunch" because it really is.