Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I found Xoti in Neketaka! She's crazy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ugh, I just can't get away from annoying bugs. Now Pallegina won't chant. She just doesn't seem to gain phrases in combat.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ugh, I just can't get away from annoying bugs. Now Pallegina won't chant. She just doesn't seem to gain phrases in combat.

Did you try deleting and rebuilding her chants?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Question about the fate of Eothas

Did eothas end himself? I went through the ending again and it doesn't seem clear.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Question about the fate of Eothas

Did eothas end himself? I went through the ending again and it doesn't seem clear.

In my ending he died from exertion(?) but his giant god corpse became a purgatory for souls.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mary had a little clam posted:

In my ending he died from exertion(?) but his giant god corpse became a purgatory for souls.

I just re-ran through that ending.

It doesn't say eothas dies. It just says the adra colossus goes still. The way I resolved the dawnstars references eothas "sacrifice" but it also talks about continuing to worship a god who denied it's own legitimacy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, physical item update from the official forums:

quote:

Obsidian Response via Facebook Messenger:

HI there, Virtopian!

Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize that you have not felt heard. If you let me know your username, I'll send it over to our forum peeps to see what's going on with your posts, as that shouldn't be a thing. As for your inquiry into the physical rewards, you have every right to be upset. In the last Backer Update (https://forums.obsid...winter-preview/) we gave some news, but after sending that out, things happened with our European distribution center that was out of our control. We will be sending out an update to all of our Physical Backers very soon. The long and short of is that while our goods are in the distribution center, the European distribution center revealed to us that they went bankrupt and wouldn't be able to fulfill their commitment to ship items out. We have been scrambling to find a place that can take the items from them and get them out, and we hope we finally have a solution.

It isn't ideal and we're beside ourselves that we have let it come to this as we had every intention to get the physical rewards out to everyone when the game launched. That didn't happen and it's making us evaluate how we would do physical orders (or do them all) in the future if we did another crowdfunding experience.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and we are aiming to resolve the issue as quickly as we possibly can.

Best,
-Mikey Dowling

I don't like the sound of that but I don't know the particulars of European warehousing/shipping/bankruptcy law. This does explain the delay and sounds entirely out of their control, though.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
OK, so in one of the endings

Eothas channels his essence to berath. So I guess he is gone.

edit:
In the end the world ending, he is still around after breaking the wheel. It doesn't say eothos ends the world, but his doubt somehow passes to adra and shatters its core?

Not super sure whether he is truly gone or not.

His final words "you are now as free as any of us are" emphasis on the us

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 31, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SYSV Fanfic posted:

OK, so in one of the endings

Eothas channels his essence to berath. So I guess he is gone.

Looking at the varying endings:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_endings#Eothas

It looks like there's at least one where he kinda sticks around, but it's somewhat ambiguous. I'm glad of that as having him permanently gone forever would feel like a sad ending to me.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope in Pillars 3 we can play as a Skaen godlike.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In Ashen Maw he says that after breaking the Wheel he will "leave this world forever"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

2house2fly posted:

In Ashen Maw he says that after breaking the Wheel he will "leave this world forever"

I just replayed that part. It isn't clear if that means cease to exist, or return to the beyond and never physically take presence on eora.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Everything about how it's framed seems to suggest to the player that Eothas is gonna die this time, even if it's no explicitly spelled out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I just replayed that part. It isn't clear if that means cease to exist, or return to the beyond and never physically take presence on eora.

I think Eothas is aware that he can't really die, but I bet something like what happens to the angel Michael in the John travolta movie "Michael" happens-- he's never coming back to Eora. It's not known how/why the gods are able to step foot in Eora but it begs the question why the gods didn't just step down and beat the absolute piss out of Eothas themselves.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I played PoE a couple years ago and only just remembered there was a sequel. A couple questions:

1. Generally speaking how does the sequel compare to the first game? Improvement? More of the same (which would still be a good thing)?

2. I really enjoyed playing the original but got kinda burned out on the story near the end of Act 3, around where you meet the gods and each of them gives you a different quest to deal with the souls, so I put it down and haven't picked it back up. Is it important to enjoying PoE2 that I have completed PoE all the way? If so, am I correct in thinking I don't have very much left to do in PoE to finish the story?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bold Robot posted:

I played PoE a couple years ago and only just remembered there was a sequel. A couple questions:

1. Generally speaking how does the sequel compare to the first game? Improvement? More of the same (which would still be a good thing)?

2. I really enjoyed playing the original but got kinda burned out on the story near the end of Act 3, around where you meet the gods and each of them gives you a different quest to deal with the souls, so I put it down and haven't picked it back up. Is it important to enjoying PoE2 that I have completed PoE all the way? If so, am I correct in thinking I don't have very much left to do in PoE to finish the story?

Most of the mechanics are a big improvement. There are a fair number of tiny differences though so be sure to check (e.g., carnage is way different now, etc.) There are still a few annoying bugs cropping up in Deadfire but almost everything major is taken care of at this point.

Storywise the opening is a stronger "hook" in the second. After that it's a lot more open-world. Closer to FNV in terms of the writing approach. Ending is probably slightly less strong than the first game but still good, it's just more a "nuance" style ending rather than EPIC BATTLE type thing.

You could probably wrap up the first game in an hour or three from where you were. There are upsides and downsides to importing PoE saves and there's also a "history creator" in Deadfire which is what most people use most of the time I think.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Bold Robot posted:

you only have to do one quest to help the gods (but you could do all of them if you want) and then you get thrown into the final dungeon of the entire game.

the sequel is, i think, way better and more interesting, the gameplay systems are much smoother, and story+roleplaying opportunities are all around more interesting

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

1. Generally it is considered to be an improvement and is broadly iterative on the first game. If you enjoyed the combat and general gameplay loop (have talky talk, tromp to dungeon, kill mooks, get loot) it is very much on those lines.

2. The game is a direct sequel with the same character and was very much marketed as a "continue on". While it is not essential, you can import your save from the end of PoE and various "states" are accounted for, referred to with various consequences (none of which are "game changingly huge"). Deadfire has a sort of catch up cutscene at the beginning, but I would strongly strongly suggest you finish the first game before the second (you can comfortably skip the White March expansions). Not only are you very close to the end, but I promise that it will be worth it. Just whack PoE down to "story" mode and complete it in an evening before you import your Watcher into Deadfire.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks, all of that is really useful. I did the White March expansions so it sounds like I'm actually super close to the end.

Anything I should know or read before PoE2 or is it safe to just jump in? Like any major trap builds, boring builds, easy ways to gently caress up, etc?

Also how does it work as a direct sequel? Does your character start out super powerful?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks, all of that is really useful. I did the White March expansions so it sounds like I'm actually super close to the end.

Anything I should know or read before PoE2 or is it safe to just jump in? Like any major trap builds, boring builds, easy ways to gently caress up, etc?

Also how does it work as a direct sequel? Does your character start out super powerful?

You start over at level one, the opening slides will explain why. Your game choices import over though, so if you killed a dude who could show up in game 2, he won't, etc.

The new game has multiclassing which makes builds a lot more complex so stuff is still shaking out as people figure out builds etc. The main thing I'd say to avoid is multiclassing into two separate spellcaster builds (i.e., wizard/druid, etc); you run out of time to do everything and there's little synergy. You generally want to either go singleclass or physical damage class + casting class. That's just a rule of thumb though. If you have more specific character notions we can give more specific advice.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You start over at level one, the opening slides will explain why. Your game choices import over though, so if you killed a dude who could show up in game 2, he won't, etc.

The new game has multiclassing which makes builds a lot more complex so stuff is still shaking out as people figure out builds etc. The main thing I'd say to avoid is multiclassing into two separate spellcaster builds (i.e., wizard/druid, etc); you run out of time to do everything and there's little synergy. You generally want to either go singleclass or physical damage class + casting class. That's just a rule of thumb though. If you have more specific character notions we can give more specific advice.

Last time my character was the class that gets magic points based on dealing damage and then has like psionic abilities that it uses those points for. I’m blanking on the name but I enjoyed that class a lot last time. Is it still viable?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You're in the final sprint of the first game, and I can't remember if you've seen the big plot twist yet, but if you haven't, you should, because it makes things way more interesting. Either way you're so close to the end, you might as well just finish it.

If you liked 1, you'll like 2. The biggest mechanical change in it that I liked is that they got rid of the lion's share of "per rest" abilities and everything is either "per encounter" now or charges up from zero like ciphers and chanters. So there's no longer any reason to hoard your most powerful abilities, you can and should use your whole repertoire in each fight.

You can also personally fine-tune your companions' (and your own) battle AI, which is nice. There's also default options if you're lazy and they work....ok.

On the whole I liked 2 better than 1. I also suffered from burnout with the first game and put it down for a few months upon reaching Twin Elms. It actually wasn't until the big twist at the end that I actually became very interested in the setting, so it's a shame if people get burned out and stop playing entirely before they reach it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Last time my character was the class that gets magic points based on dealing damage and then has like psionic abilities that it uses those points for. I’m blanking on the name but I enjoyed that class a lot last time. Is it still viable?

Cipher. And yes, ciphers are still viable in PoE2. There are quite a few role playing options in the text vignettes with ciphers as well, pretty cool.

I think the only real way to mess up a cipher character would be to multiclass with another caster class, because you'd have difficulty building up focus points (magic points) if you're casting other spells instead of attacking with your weapon.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bold Robot posted:

1. It's pretty kickass there's a lot more character options and the gameplay is a lot better for example you can set it up to pause when someone is about to finish casting SO THEY CAN RETARGET. Graphically it's hugely improved and it's got an interesting story.

The most important thing about importing saves is whether or not you stole that baby, anything else is pretty much irrelevant other than deciding who died and who lived to say nice things about your adopted daughter. Oh and maybe don't go the "every god cursed me for being a poo poo" route on your first run.

It's a huge step up except for carnage no longer proccing weapon effects.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Monk probably goes quite well with Cipher; nice fast fist attacks and builds up points from taking damage so whether you're attacking or being attacked you're getting resources

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah it works. You can play it ranged or melee. It's a little different and slightly weaker now overall, but more because the other classes have all improved and it didn't improve as much as they did.

Build I'd suggest for a single-classed Cipher is Str 14 / Con 6 / Dex 14, per/int maxed, Res 5, then use arquebus and quarterstaff and the two-handed weapon bonus talent. There are very good unique quarterstaves and arquebusses (arquebi?) and you want a melee option because it's harder to avoid physical combat in Deadfire. The "Ascendant" subclass is loads of fun.

Most of the melee classes also combo very well with cipher as a multiclass, especially rogues and monks.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kind of an odd thing but when you start a new game and you get asked about your past, you can only pick from premade choices, either the default ones or the ones you made from the main menu before starting this run.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Thinking about doing a solo Huana playthrough so that I can get a better grip on the games systems and mechanics (and so I can wait for a few DLCs to be released and the god challenges before I start a new game proper). I am keen on the idea of making an Amaua Shaman (dualed Barbarian and Priest) as it seems like an interesting combination. They would be a sort of staunch supporter of Onekaza and I would probably go with Berath or Eothas as the god to maximise those sweet RP options.

Pretty sure that on Veteran, anything goes and the game can be broken in two by most builds, but is there anything obviously anti-synergistic about a Shaman? I recall that a dev said that Priest/Anything was the least used class (and Dwarf as the race, but that will be for my next playthrough, where I plan to use that sweet Magran fire axe from the Naga temple in the North of the map in some capacity.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

mitochondritom posted:

Thinking about doing a solo Huana playthrough so that I can get a better grip on the games systems and mechanics (and so I can wait for a few DLCs to be released and the god challenges before I start a new game proper). I am keen on the idea of making an Amaua Shaman (dualed Barbarian and Priest) as it seems like an interesting combination. They would be a sort of staunch supporter of Onekaza and I would probably go with Berath or Eothas as the god to maximise those sweet RP options.

Pretty sure that on Veteran, anything goes and the game can be broken in two by most builds, but is there anything obviously anti-synergistic about a Shaman? I recall that a dev said that Priest/Anything was the least used class (and Dwarf as the race, but that will be for my next playthrough, where I plan to use that sweet Magran fire axe from the Naga temple in the North of the map in some capacity.

Initially it kind of seems like barbarian/priest has the same problem most priest multiclasses do- the worthwhile priest spells all take a long time to cast, and that's time not spent taking advantage of your other class abilities. Pairing it with Barbarian has the additional complication of needing to get kills so Blood Thirst/Bloodlust trigger... which you're not doing when you're casting support spells with long cast/recovery times. You also only have like one or two easy ways to get Concentration, which is going to be a lot more important as a solo character.

I think what you'd want to do is stack stuff like Barring Death's Door and Salvation of Time to survive at low health and activate gear abilities/damage boosts/whatever that require Bloodied or worse condition (like the confusingly named Blooded ability Barbarians can take that gives a damage boost when, uh, Bloodied). Or just ignore most of your spell list and stick to anything that nukes, heals over time or with low cast time/recovery, or gives a buff too good to ignore. It'd be doable, but not nearly as straightforward as Barbarian/Wizard (very good self-buffs with no recovery, lots of nukes) or Barbarian/Druid (storm spells that let you do other stuff while they work, spiritshift)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Berath summoned weapon seems like it would be good? Or at least it seemed strong when I messed around with it for a bit.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

mitochondritom posted:

Barbarian looks like a solid choice to multiclass with any caster, because it has the most access to speed boosts. Maximizing your speed means you have to worry less about action economy inefficiency. Eventually, you get blood thirst, which means you can act again instantly after you get a kill, which is obviously great with powerful spells that can kill a lot of stuff.

If I recall, rope kid mentioned shaman specifically as the least played class. However, while It’s probably not as straightforward as wizard, cipher or druid, I bet it would be very good if built and handled well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Beast of Winter launch trailer: https://youtu.be/8MF9MWIgT5E

Looks good!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
So about the physical backer rewards. Someone over on the Obsidian forums contacted OEI on facebook about it and got a response:

Obsidian on facebook posted:

Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize that you have not felt heard. If you let me know your username, I'll send it over to our forum peeps to see what's going on with your posts, as that shouldn't be a thing. As for your inquiry into the physical rewards, you have every right to be upset. In the last Backer Update (https://forums.obsid...winter-preview/) we gave some news, but after sending that out, things happened with our European distribution center that was out of our control. We will be sending out an update to all of our Physical Backers very soon. The long and short of is that while our goods are in the distribution center, the European distribution center revealed to us that they went bankrupt and wouldn't be able to fulfill their commitment to ship items out. We have been scrambling to find a place that can take the items from them and get them out, and we hope we finally have a solution.

It isn't ideal and we're beside ourselves that we have let it come to this as we had every intention to get the physical rewards out to everyone when the game launched. That didn't happen and it's making us evaluate how we would do physical orders (or do them all) in the future if we did another crowdfunding experience.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and we are aiming to resolve the issue as quickly as we possibly can.

I guess the items for all backers worldwide were somehow stored in Europe somewhere?:shrug:
I have the game, I had fun with my first playthrough and it's not like I need that Obsidian hoodie with it being 35°C outside. So personally I'm good. But I do have to roll my eyes at this: Stuff obviously went wrong at least 3 months ago. Not just after the last backer update. Just be transparent about this sort of stuff.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Anno posted:

Beast of Winter launch trailer: https://youtu.be/8MF9MWIgT5E

Looks good!

I wonder how St. Waidwen is going to figure into this??

Also, big ol Minotaur enemy, looks like Rymrgand's version of an Eyeless. Wonder if all of the deities have their own slumbering personal armies and why Eothas' never showed up if that's the case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

jokes posted:

I think Eothas is aware that he can't really die, but I bet something like what happens to the angel Michael in the John travolta movie "Michael" happens-- he's never coming back to Eora. It's not known how/why the gods are able to step foot in Eora but it begs the question why the gods didn't just step down and beat the absolute piss out of Eothas themselves.

That's actually addressed in one of the god chats: the gods used to have physical bodies they could use if they wanted to manifest and really gently caress poo poo up, but they agreed to give them up after Ondra dropped the moon on Abydon. That's why Eothas had to possess Waidwen/the Adra Colossus instead of just swooping down and crushing Thaos like a bug when Woedica wasn't looking. One god could theoretically take over whatever the second biggest Adra Colossus analogue is, but none of the gods trust each other enough to let them do it.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Raygereio posted:

So about the physical backer rewards. Someone over on the Obsidian forums contacted OEI on facebook about it and got a response:

I guess the items for all backers worldwide were somehow stored in Europe somewhere?:shrug:
I have the game, I had fun with my first playthrough and it's not like I need that Obsidian hoodie with it being 35°C outside. So personally I'm good. But I do have to roll my eyes at this: Stuff obviously went wrong at least 3 months ago. Not just after the last backer update. Just be transparent about this sort of stuff.

:same:

Some things are out of your control, but it is within your control to explain why this is.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Barbarian looks like a solid choice to multiclass with any caster, because it has the most access to speed boosts. Maximizing your speed means you have to worry less about action economy inefficiency. Eventually, you get blood thirst, which means you can act again instantly after you get a kill, which is obviously great with powerful spells that can kill a lot of stuff.

If I recall, rope kid mentioned shaman specifically as the least played class. However, while It’s probably not as straightforward as wizard, cipher or druid, I bet it would be very good if built and handled well.

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Initially it kind of seems like barbarian/priest has the same problem most priest multiclasses do- the worthwhile priest spells all take a long time to cast, and that's time not spent taking advantage of your other class abilities. Pairing it with Barbarian has the additional complication of needing to get kills so Blood Thirst/Bloodlust trigger... which you're not doing when you're casting support spells with long cast/recovery times. You also only have like one or two easy ways to get Concentration, which is going to be a lot more important as a solo character.

I think what you'd want to do is stack stuff like Barring Death's Door and Salvation of Time to survive at low health and activate gear abilities/damage boosts/whatever that require Bloodied or worse condition (like the confusingly named Blooded ability Barbarians can take that gives a damage boost when, uh, Bloodied). Or just ignore most of your spell list and stick to anything that nukes, heals over time or with low cast time/recovery, or gives a buff too good to ignore. It'd be doable, but not nearly as straightforward as Barbarian/Wizard (very good self-buffs with no recovery, lots of nukes) or Barbarian/Druid (storm spells that let you do other stuff while they work, spiritshift)

I have created a new Watcher, went with Priest of Berath and Beserker as my subclasses. It seems OK so far, its a bit of an experience as I am trying a solo game. One thing I immediately noticed when farting about with the AI behavior editor (I would really like to make a character I can just automate, just to see how they do) is that if you have Frenzy as an auto activate and then set suppress afflication to auto cast (its like 0.4 s for me) it will immediately cancel out the intellect malus and the frenzy (also the Dmg Allies which for a solo run isn't important).

Berath's sword summon is less useful, as its a 2.4 sec cast and can't be preloaded (oh how I hate that mechanical choice).

On the Barb / Wizard note, I did strongly consider Wael as my priest as it comes with a slew of cool Wizard defences, but Berath won me over for ~roleplaying~

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I just started playing this again after waiting for a few months for the worst of the bugs to get fixed, and I noticed it's not even on the GoG top 20 list anymore, behind even games in the same genre like Divinity: OS and NWN 2. Has it really sold that badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Wait, Blood Thirst triggers on any kill? Nice, a Witch might not be too bad after all. I'm still trying to decide between Witch and Inquisitor for my actual PotD character that I'll start when Beast of Winter drops, and that might work out ok. I still want it to primarily be a Cipher with melee skills, and I think its far to easy to build a melee Cipher to be a melee type that happens to have a psychic melee attack thing. Also, I don't plan on ever not having Pallegina in my party so another Paladin multiclass might be unnecessary.

What happens if you use an AoE weapon (like Whispers of the Endless Paths) with Carnage? Does each hit trigger their own carnage proc?