Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Green Chartreuse is 55% abv, it can handle room temperature for a drat long time. Once you get past like, 25% abv, there's no need to put anything into a fridge/freezer, even after opening it.
Oxidation happens, sure, but you won't get any microbe growth. The concern instead is evaporation of the alcohol, which isn't a concern if the bottle is sealed.

I've heard about bacteria forming on the surface of high abv stuff but it's usually someone re-discovering some liquor that they opened years and years ago. Once you get into that duration, a fridge makes no difference, since fridges just slow down mold/bacteria growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You only really need to refrigerate things that are sub 20% and and wine based. Neutral spirits based things that are low abv (like aperol) are shelf stable.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Speaking of freezers. My roommate bought his childhood home from his parents and they just left the fridge as it was. I was cleaning out the freezer and found some bottles of booze. Some obviously new, one obviously not.

A quick google says it’s from the 80s. So cool. And still delicious of course.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’ve had chartreuse that’s more than 100 years old that wasn’t stored any special way. You’re fine.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Reading through Alchemy I'm a Glass, and watching cocktail chemistry on YouTube, I'd like to make some of my own syrups
Does anyone have preferred containers they use? And toppers?
Amazon is a +

Plastic squeeze bottles.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 23, 2018

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Just going to go ahead and repost Kenning's Punch List since I haven't seen it come up in a while.

I've been using Trello a lot lately to collaborate menu revisions and like, if I put together a recipe board for this thread would people post to it?

edit- couldn't help myself

Invite Link:
https://trello.com/invite/b/sQLYidgs/2c6aad330e64ecc5393b5636d04302a8/sa-cocktail-nerd-jamboree

Lokee fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 24, 2018

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Not sure if this is best here or the wine thread, but anyone have a really good sangria recipe? Feel like I had seen one a year or so ago but don’t have it anymore.

No preference for red or white, just have some wine to get rid of and a cook out coming up!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I don't really use a recipe when I make sangria. For each bottle of wine, throw in like 3 shots of brandy, the juice of an orange, and sugar to taste (start with a tablespoon or two). If you have orange liqueur, you can use that in place of some or all of the above. Add the spent orange and another couple of cut up fruits, chill (in the fridge in a bottle or pitcher until it's cold), and you have sangria. Serve over ice. (Type of fruit doesn't matter as long as it matches the wine [i.e. heavier/sweeter with red, lighter/crisper with white] and is the freshest you can get. Right now is stonefruit season so see what you can do with peaches/plums/apricots/etc! Or if that's a little later in summer where you are, investigate some berries...)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
My generic recipe for building a punch by the glass is
.5 oz simple syrup or whatever
1 oz juice (usually .5oz sour - 2:1:1 oj:lemon:lime, and .5 oz cranberry or grapefruit or whatever)
.5oz modifier (liqueur or whatever)
.5oz spirit
Splash of soda
3-4oz sparkling wine (or still wine)
Sometimes has some strawberry puree, mint, chopped citrus, etc
That foundation clocks in at around 12%abv.
For example:
Pinch of mint
.5oz strawberry purée
.5 oz simple
.5 oz cranberry
.5oz sour
.5 oz blood orange liqueur
.5oz hibiscus infused tequila
Ice, Splash of soda, 3-4 oz cava, stir

It’s a good base. Swap out ingredients as you see fit.

Edit: 750ml is about 25oz so to scale it roughly for a bottle, multiply everything by 8. Unsurprisingly, this will yield about 8 servings.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 26, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

What's your guys' favorite gin for cocktails? I usually go for a local distiller's stuff (Berkshire) but picked up a bottle of Aviation on a whim, and really can't get into it. I probably make mostly negronis with some martinis mixed in every once and a while.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
Barr Hill

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Scythe posted:

I don't really use a recipe when I make sangria. For each bottle of wine, throw in like 3 shots of brandy, the juice of an orange, and sugar to taste (start with a tablespoon or two). If you have orange liqueur, you can use that in place of some or all of the above. Add the spent orange and another couple of cut up fruits, chill (in the fridge in a bottle or pitcher until it's cold), and you have sangria. Serve over ice.

Thank! Used this - 1 shot blackstrap rum, 2 of Cointreau, red wine, and plums.
Came out great- nice molasses/cinnamon notes from the blackstrap

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tbqh the classic london drys like Bombay, Tanqueray, ect are some of the best basic cocktailing gins and most classic & modern classic recipes were designed with them as the gin. Even beefeater is probably better than you remember it. If I had to pick one gin to just live with it would probably be Tanqueray.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

emotive posted:

What's your guys' favorite gin for cocktails? I usually go for a local distiller's stuff (Berkshire) but picked up a bottle of Aviation on a whim, and really can't get into it. I probably make mostly negronis with some martinis mixed in every once and a while.

Really depends on the cocktail. What sort of drink are you looking to make?

Good lord, why? So expensive, so gimmicky, so sweet.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Tbqh the classic london drys like Bombay, Tanqueray, ect are some of the best basic cocktailing gins and most classic & modern classic recipes were designed with them as the gin. Even beefeater is probably better than you remember it. If I had to pick one gin to just live with it would probably be Tanqueray.

Agreed. Tanqueray 10 is a favorite, or Bombay Dry for martinis. I also enjoy Astral Pacific, Wilder by Ventura Spirits, Ki No Bi Kyoto and Gracias A Dios for more oddball gins.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of niche gin, anyone got suggestions for cocktails that make good use of St George's dry rye reposado?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've recently had an Amaretto Sour and I want to make them at home. Should I just get some disaronno or are there better options? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just curious if there's anything else to look for.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I've recently had an Amaretto Sour and I want to make them at home. Should I just get some disaronno or are there better options? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just curious if there's anything else to look for.

Disaronno/Luxardo are all pretty similar in quality. The Tempus Fugit Creme de Noyaux is a good quality alternative but it's pink. Lots of nicer places use the Luxardo/Lazaronni amaretto, honestly because it's probably 'not disaronno'.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Matt Zerella posted:

I've only made it with Disaronno, but Jeffrey Morgenthaler's version calls for Lazzaroni. Either way, it's a good recipe.

Edit: ha, I should've refreshed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Thanks to both of you. Any easier "lazy" recipient you can recommend that don't involve egg whites?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Matt Zerella posted:

Thanks to both of you. Any easier "lazy" recipient you can recommend that don't involve egg whites?

Get the egg white right and emulsified and you’ll never go back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are bars still putting bacon in cocktails? Is that over now? Can it be over now?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That poo poo will never be over my dude

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Does anyone have any cocktail recommendations in Kansas City?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For Father's Day, my dad received bottles of Fee Brothers Grapefruit, Aztec Chocolate, and Gin Barrel-Aged Orange Bitters, but hasn't really touched them yet due to not knowing what they'd be good with.

Any general suggestions? He's primarily a bourbon and gin drinker with a little bit of rum and tequilas, but the liquor cabinet is fairly well-stocked.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Archenteron posted:

For Father's Day, my dad received bottles of Fee Brothers Grapefruit, Aztec Chocolate, and Gin Barrel-Aged Orange Bitters, but hasn't really touched them yet due to not knowing what they'd be good with.

Any general suggestions? He's primarily a bourbon and gin drinker with a little bit of rum and tequilas, but the liquor cabinet is fairly well-stocked.

Make a tequila old fashioned with the grapefruit bitters.

Make a bourbon old fashioned with the chocolate bitters (hint, use a caramel syrup not a simple syrup)

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

Klauser posted:

Does anyone have any cocktail recommendations in Kansas City?

Bluestem has some good drinks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As for those chocolate bitters, I'm a big fan of Left Hands.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Definitely. Also in a Oaxacan Old Fashioned. Be very stingy with the chocolate bitters though. It’s not like ango where you can throw a couple dashes in. One dash is good. Two is too much.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

...The Tempus Fugit Creme de Noyaux...

Funnily enough, I'm making my own noyaux right now since my wife bought five billion cherries on sale. I'll let you know if it is any good, and hopefully someone will take over my account to let you know if I died.

I roasted the pits, which should have mitigated the arsenic risk.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes make Left Hands

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
I just got a bottle of Suze and I'm looking for some stuff to do with it.

I made a white negroni, which was ok, but I don't really like dry vermouth/blanc stuff so it wasn't a surprise I didn't love it.

I had something with raspberry and citrus which was good but I'm really looking for something that highlights the Suze rather than just happens to have it in there.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
How about White Negroni Sbagliato? That was one of the first things I made with my bottle of suze and loved it. I may have used Cocchi instead of Dolin Blanc.

When I ran out of Dolin Blanc and or Cocchi, I just dosed champers with it to great result as well.

I also enjoyed subbing it in other drinks. Using it for an improved old fashion, or adding a little something to a sour.

I also like very bitter drinks, so maybe give a go on the rocks or with soda to get a taste?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Someone give me a tornado hit your city, no power til tuesday, drink thr pain away cocktail. I have a full liquot cabinet and 2 lemons. Thinking uniced french 75s then just straight up rum

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Someone give me a tornado hit your city, no power til tuesday, drink thr pain away cocktail. I have a full liquot cabinet and 2 lemons. Thinking uniced french 75s then just straight up rum

Definitely make an oleosaccharum with the lemon peel. Then maybe Old Cubans? Kind of a French 75 with rum, mint, and bitters.

Sounds like you don’t have ice, so make sure to add a couple oz of water to whatever you end up drinking. Dilution is important.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Klauser posted:

I just got a bottle of Suze and I'm looking for some stuff to do with it.

I made a white negroni, which was ok, but I don't really like dry vermouth/blanc stuff so it wasn't a surprise I didn't love it.

I had something with raspberry and citrus which was good but I'm really looking for something that highlights the Suze rather than just happens to have it in there.

Suze and tonic is amazing. It's one of the few cocktails my wife drinks, so I always have a bottle of Suze on my shelf.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Your wife is gonna overdose on gentian if she starts having more than a couple of those a day.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
I like Suze a lot and it goes great with Mezcal, so I do something like this, stirred, with a big cube:

- 1 1/2 oz Del Maguey Vida
- 3/4 Suze
- 1/3 Ancho Reyes
- 1/4 St. Germain
- 1-2 dash ea. mole and hopped grapefruit bitters
- orange twist or flamed orange peel if that's your thing

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
A friend is getting married soon, and I offered to make punch or batched cocktails for the reception. I asked them to give me some flavor notes as a starting point.

Him: orange, cinnamon, clove, apple
Her: fruity, vodka, ginger beer

So I'm thinking maybe two different drinks.

For him, I'm leaning towards a Fall punch. Fall Monty went over great last Thanksgiving but I'm open to other suggestions.

For her, vodka and ginger beer strongly suggests a Moscow Mule variant to me. My first thought is some kind of Moscow Mule/Cosmo mashup, but I'm not opposed to getting more complicated with it.

Any ideas?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
My first thoughts for a fruity Fall mule type that doesn’t step on the other punch’s toes would be a cranberry-orange zest with rosemary flavor profile or a pomegranate (grenadine) with orange zest/cinnamon. Mint would be great but it’s not as autumnal. Throw in some blackberry or fig or grape. Blood orange wheels are beautiful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Toast Museum posted:

A friend is getting married soon, and I offered to make punch or batched cocktails for the reception. I asked them to give me some flavor notes as a starting point.

Him: orange, cinnamon, clove, apple
Her: fruity, vodka, ginger beer

So I'm thinking maybe two different drinks.

For him, I'm leaning towards a Fall punch. Fall Monty went over great last Thanksgiving but I'm open to other suggestions.

For her, vodka and ginger beer strongly suggests a Moscow Mule variant to me. My first thought is some kind of Moscow Mule/Cosmo mashup, but I'm not opposed to getting more complicated with it.

Any ideas?

Flaming Bishop? for the first one? I made it last autumn and it went over great.