Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That Time Disney Remade Beauty and the Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUx9DnQUkA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

I decided to pick up No Man's Sky after a short preview trailer a couple of years before its released piqued my interest. After watching the trailer I basically developed a strong lack of interest in the hype machine part of games journalism, so ignored literally everything about that games PR. The closest I got was some brief browsing of its SA thread, but they were in the middle of a very lengthy multi page argument so I missed all of the promises. I actually really liked the game for what it was, been meaning to get back into for awhile now.

99% of all Internet Drama can be avoided if you don't buy the hype.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No Man's Sky wasn't the worst thing ever or anything but I was still disappointed by how safe and artificial everything felt. Like everything had been made for you the player to engage in the gamepaly they had rather than just making a big beautiful uncaring world. I was hoping for a simulation of hiking through the vast open wilderness and got the Disneyland approximation of that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

No Man's Sky wasn't the worst thing ever or anything but I was still disappointed by how safe and artificial everything felt. Like everything had been made for you the player to engage in the gamepaly they had rather than just making a big beautiful uncaring world. I was hoping for a simulation of hiking through the vast open wilderness and got the Disneyland approximation of that.

I didn't like that the game basically acknowledges this and tries to sell it back to you as a plot point

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MariusLecter posted:

That Time Disney Remade Beauty and the Beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUx9DnQUkA

good video as always. I never saw the new one. kinda glad i didn't now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think No Man's Sky is a game that was being built by a small team of developers who were suddenly thrust way further into the limelight than they could ever possibly be prepared for and their mistakes shouldn't really even remotely be compared to, say, the "mistakes" of a huge company with hundreds of employees that "accidentally" designed their entire multi-million-dollar game around unregulated real-money gambling. If anything, a lot of the blame should probably be placed on Sony, they're the ones who were pushing the thing to be a big console-selling exclusive

Anyway, NEXT is a really great overhaul of the game. I actually bought the game now since it was on sale and it's a beautiful and relaxing experience. What's nice is the elements that people like Hbomberguy said they loved the game for even in its original state seem to still be there, just much more polished and varied.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It was kind of hilarious to me, a veteran fan of spacegames, watching the hype train spin up for No Man's Sky, because what was promised is exactly the kind of holy grail sandbox that space sim developers have been trying and falling to make for decades. If you were part of that world than you'd heard all of those promises before and you probably knew exactly how they were gonna not be fulfilled, so in a way out was fun to watch people get wound up in a way you knew exactly how was gonna end.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

People really tend to extol the virtue of a story being "self-aware" but a lot of the time aggressive self-awareness on its own just leads to a story that feels cynical and self-loathing

Also what the hell kind of plan is "Just pretend we don't have a west wing"? So Belle can just open a random door and find herself in That Place She's Not Supposed To Go? What the hell, Lumiere?

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 31, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jeff Gerstman streamed the game yesterday and summed up my thoughts. It's fun despite the edges being rough still, and the mechanics are entertaining but the whole 'infinite world constantly generating poo poo' thing does mean literally nothing you do actually matters because if you gently caress a base up or whatever you just fly away and wait to find a new one for no consequence.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah this has been pushed to a quite nutso level, way beyond the first YouTube boxing match between KSI and Joe Weller which was watched by millions. So much so that it's going to be the first YouTube Pay-Per-View event. I'm pretty sure there's some big names involved in the promotion too (I know Dana White's on it).

It all seems pretty crazy for...well, two untrained 20 something's fighting each other but it's just getting eaten up. It's kinda like a big monetization of the whole YouTube drama thing that's always been popular - last year they did it with diss tracks, this year they're doing it with boxing. Tbh I'm not sure anyone's really going to lose out of it - boxing gets some publicity, both of them make a ton of cash, Logan Paul probably has KSI to thank for getting him mainstream attention that doesn't involve filming dead bodies...

Big YouTube is fun for all the drama and craziness and money involved - it's even more fun when these young millionaires are picking up gloves and punching each other in the ring.

I feel like the bigger of the YouTubers are coming to the same realization that boxers did - your shelf time is limited, and you better work out big payday events than trying to grind out week-to-week.

Nuebot posted:

FLCL is one of those shows I'm almost certain is ruined more by its fans than by the show its self. It's like evangelion in that people will constantly praise it as being the best ever and recommend it to literally everyone, especially to people who've never watched anime before and aren't sure what kind of anime would be to their tastes. But it's like, pretty close to peak anime and it's incredibly overwhelming for a lot of people who don't already like anime and don't have a clue what to expect which will turn a lot of first time viewers away more than attract them.

FLCL is one of my faves, but I would never recommend it for people new to anime. It's also one of those shows whose impact really comes from the sea of generic stuff that was around at the time. So much of anime hadn't progressed past the late 80's/early 90's in style and feel, and despite FLCL being full of references and nods to those, it felt new.

My specific memory of watching that was our anime club at college had a really early fansub DVD show up in the mailbox of one of the execs; they didn't bother ever writing the title on the DVD, just HOLY poo poo YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS. Compared to all the generic crap that was floating around it was a breath of fresh air; it had a sound and look that made a whole lot of shows contemporary to it feel incredibly dated in comparison.

I personally love it, but that's because it was the show that brought back the wonder that had sucked me into anime in the first place with stuff like Akira and had then faded with everything with big eyes and a small mouth being brought over from Japan to cash in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Augus posted:

People really tend to extol the virtue of a story being "self-aware" but a lot of the time aggressive self-awareness on its own just leads to a story that feels cynical and self-loathing

Also what the hell kind of plan is "Just pretend we don't have a west wing"? So Belle can just open a random door and find herself in That Place She's Not Supposed To Go? What the hell, Lumiere?

I don’t mind self awareness in stories sometimes, it can be fun and interesting when done right. but in the age of nostalgia based consumption, I loving hate it because everything thing is based off that sly “wink” bullshit to make people feel like they are in on some joke while they consume.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 31, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think the No Man's Sky story is a pretty good one really. I examined it a fair bit a while back because people wanted me to cover it as they thought of Sean Murray as the new Peter Molyneux...I kinda shyed away from doing it directly but it seemed to me that Sony were mostly to blame for REALLY hyping it way out of proportion. Sean Murray obviously said a few things himself that were perhaps inadvisable, but the game probably shouldn't have been a full-price title off the bat. The state of things as they are now does show some pretty great perseverance on the part of Sean and his team though - many would have just left the whole thing behind in the face of the tsunami of poo poo the game got.

stillvisions posted:

I feel like the bigger of the YouTubers are coming to the same realization that boxers did - your shelf time is limited, and you better work out big payday events than trying to grind out week-to-week

This is definitely a big part of this. Like, KSI and Logan have already likely made enough money to never work again but this will be a seven-figure payday.

KSI in particular is one of those big YouTubers who is intriguing to look at for how often he's changed things up and kept relevant - he's been around for nearly a decade now. He's had scandals that came close to killing his career (specifically his awful behaviour at a Eurogamer event where he, being filmed in "awkward character" mode, was asking weird questions and also gave a model the old motorboat), eventually kinda rode them out and has a long line of basically always being at the top of YouTube's relevance - first it was playing FIFA, then more prank-style videos, then forming the Sidemen and doing all kinds of things with them, becoming more of a football YouTuber, doing big charity football live matches, having he and the Sidemen's own convention, doing the diss tracks, and now this boxing and the Sidemen being one of the YT originals who are actually doing stuff on Premium. Like, he's always been around and a bit wilier than a lot of folks would give him credit for.

Of course, if the rumours are true he and a lot of other FIFA YouTubers made enough money to never work again around the time that was a huge game online and there were sites they sponsored which allowed you to buy FIFA Ultimate Team coins back when it was easy to do that - late last decade/early this one. Apparently that made a fair few teenagers millionaires, some of whom were still in school at the time, and he was the biggest FIFA YouTuber of them all.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah. nazis were weird dumb assholes who as funny person quoted "failed Calvary school and then became addicted to morphine and believed in magic". I find Rommel to be an interesting though massively over-hyped military figure. also, ill admit it but i was a bit of weheraboo when i was in elementary school, because in the weird history nerd childhood types, nazis are like dinosaurs for dumb kids who love history because big lovely tanks and hugo boss poo poo works for little brains.

The mythos around Rommel is interesting because the reasons it exists are suprisingly complex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw1UJCwcgNc

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

Re: Anime Chat, you all make good arguments, but allow me to play my trump card.

https://twitter.com/Jakiba_/status/1024029927891513346

Utena is great but you really need to be prepared for and on board with the fact that it is VERY about symbolism and surrealism. Not in a psychedelic drug trip way, but in a dream logic, MST3K mantra way.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
So long as we're doing Anime:

https://youtu.be/DUTmnfygP6A

Featuring: Cool Shades Sage.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

While I may have disliked No Man’s Sky and I have no interest in the updated version, I have to give the developers props for sticking around for two years to try and make good on their promises. So many studios just cut their losses when their games bomb and only ever bother to fix the most obvious bugs, if they fix any at all, before moving on to their next project.

And hey, at least they actually released their far-too-ambitious space game, which is more than the Star Citizen clowns can say.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 31, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NMS may be grindy as hell, but Sean Murray only sold a pipe-dream and not JPEGs. I don't even like hardcore space-sims so this is more my bag. I think NMS could be improved in one way by making the Pulse Engine infinite and removing the field of asteroids that render when you stop your ship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Murray would have also benefitted from not trying to be Peter Molyneux in interviews. He lacks Molyneux's conviction in hocking bullshit claims and came across as a jittery paranoid dweeb who said "sure" to everything.

Also he thinks people don't know what dinosaurs look like.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

stillvisions posted:

I feel like the bigger of the YouTubers are coming to the same realization that boxers did - your shelf time is limited, and you better work out big payday events than trying to grind out week-to-week.

FLCL is one of my faves, but I would never recommend it for people new to anime. It's also one of those shows whose impact really comes from the sea of generic stuff that was around at the time. So much of anime hadn't progressed past the late 80's/early 90's in style and feel, and despite FLCL being full of references and nods to those, it felt new.

My specific memory of watching that was our anime club at college had a really early fansub DVD show up in the mailbox of one of the execs; they didn't bother ever writing the title on the DVD, just HOLY poo poo YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS. Compared to all the generic crap that was floating around it was a breath of fresh air; it had a sound and look that made a whole lot of shows contemporary to it feel incredibly dated in comparison.

I personally love it, but that's because it was the show that brought back the wonder that had sucked me into anime in the first place with stuff like Akira and had then faded with everything with big eyes and a small mouth being brought over from Japan to cash in.

flcl is a great work but it’s very much something that you recommend to people who are already into anime I agree. IMO people who haven’t tried anime or are kinda “maybe” about it often feel meh about anime because they’ve only tried stuff that’s very stereotypical (weird but not in an artsy way and fanservice heavy) because they just watched a show either that a friend showed or was on tv or from one of those too varied rec lists.

The best way is to find out what someone like and then rec from there. Anime isn’t a genre, it’s a term to describe animation from a specific geographic location that includes a wide variety of genres.

It’s also my personal opinion that even though 3 out of 5 of my personal favorite anime are manga adaptations that some of the best anime is anime original works. (That is, they aren’t adaptations.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
brutalmoose - 4th Dimension Science Experiments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAAs9l3VkoI

$40 for a science kit that tells you to supply your own materials. gently caress that.

One Christmas i got a Smithsonian crystal growing kit and it had EVERYTHING i needed for it to work.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MariusLecter posted:

One Christmas i got a Smithsonian crystal growing kit and it had EVERYTHING i needed for it to work.

Actual crystals or New Age "healing" crystals?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

How long do you think MovieBob's going to be on the new-Escapist for?

MariusLecter posted:

brutalmoose - 4th Dimension Science Experiments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAAs9l3VkoI

$40 for a science kit that tells you to supply your own materials. gently caress that.

On one hand, I don't know how you at least have a pencil and ruler in your house.

On the other hand, that kit is such a hilarious rip-off. Most of the experiments are stuff you can find online for free. I know for a while, the store I worked at kept selling out of glue right away because people were buying massive quantities to make slime (thought you needed cornstarch for that too, though).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

How long do you think MovieBob's going to be on the new-Escapist for?

why did anyone like this shithead again, he would be a chud if he didn't have semi woke social views. hope he starts screaming stupid poo poo and gets sacked for it. also the ego on this clown, yeah bob you make fellatio pieces about Nintendo and gassing the rurals and the poors for the crimes of maybe being jocks and "ruining gaming" but your big super intellectual elite who will lead the world into.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 31, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why did anyone like this shithead again, he would be a chud if he didn't have semi woke social views. hope he starts screaming stupid poo poo and gets sacked for it.

The rare inverse gamergate maneuver, where your love for Mario 3 leads you to call for genocide, but genocide of conservatives.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

business hammocks posted:

The rare inverse gamergate maneuver, where your love for Mario 3 leads you to call for genocide, but genocide of conservatives.

its not even calling for chud death though.its more he thinks anyone who doesn't play nintendo or plays FPS games or is poorer then him or isn't as "smart" as him is a evil trumpist jock who must be elimated so bobs blessed intilectual technocracy can live below the sea or some poo poo. if there is one thing i hate, its a dickhead who thinks he is smart and is a dick about how "smart" he is.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 31, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess calling for jock deaths is regular gamergate. He’s just too old to know about the Chad thing. Actually, does 4chan want to kill Chads more than they want to kiss them? There’s always been some ambiguity there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I guess calling for jock deaths is regular gamergate. He’s just too old to know about the Chad thing. Actually, does 4chan want to kill Chads more than they want to kiss them? There’s always been some ambiguity there.

there is a good incel mockthread on GBS about all that. basically no, incels are loving weird because you would think that but alot of them view the chads as monstrous gods that can't be defied and are grudgingly respected. they hate women more because they are "evil sluts" and poo poo. Bob hates them in the more high school movie type where he thinks they are all dumb brutes who dominate smarties like him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's really weird how the 'Left' is apparently not that interested in having a privileged cis white man with problematic opinions on wealth disparity and minorities remake the world in his image. I mean, what's the worse that could happen if we tried it just once?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there is a good incel mockthread on GBS about all that. basically no, incels are loving weird because you would think that but alot of them view the chads as monstrous gods that can't be defied and are grudgingly respected. they hate women more because they are "evil sluts" and poo poo. Bob hates them in the more high school movie type where he thinks they are all dumb brutes who dominate smarties like him.

I guess that explains this world’s greatest reddit post:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ghostlight posted:

It's really weird how the 'Left' is apparently not that interested in having a privileged cis white man with problematic opinions on wealth disparity and minorities remake the world in his image. I mean, what's the worse that could happen if we tried it just once?

is that what he's going at? I thought he was saying us crazies on 'the left' want to remake the world for us and there's probably too many poors in there for him to feel comfortable so maybe we should have a wise council of elders who's properly Diverse (despite all being billionaires).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought Bob's view on the world was "The illuminati will rule the world and make all the jocks who bullied me suffer"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I guess that explains this world’s greatest reddit post:

my favorite chud internet post(that i pray is real) is about how some grandpa beat the poo poo out of his grandson for wishing he had died in WW2 and Hitler had won. then the mom kicked him out of the house.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leal posted:

I thought Bob's view on the world was "The illuminati will rule the world and make all the jocks who bullied me suffer"

thats bob page but close enough.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

VolticSurge posted:

Actual crystals or New Age "healing" crystals?

Actual science based crystals. For learning about science! :science:

The blue AQUAMARINE crystal formation was my favorite. It didn't turn out as good as the others but it sparkled and was cool none the less.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 31, 2018

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my favorite chud internet post(that i pray is real) is about how some grandpa beat the poo poo out of his grandson for wishing he had died in WW2 and Hitler had won. then the mom kicked him out of the house.
I think that was just a /pol/ shitpost, but it is a very nice image.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think Bob would be fine if he just never tweeted again.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Thanks for letting us all know every time Bob wipes his rear end with a tweet, always leads to the exact same interesting discussions.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alacron posted:

Thanks for letting us all know every time Bob wipes his rear end with a tweet, always leads to the exact same interesting discussions.

I feel like people got the message about Spoonywatch but then neglected to apply it to other terrible people.

This thread is a lot more interesting when it's discussing either actual internet entertainment or goofy nerd derails, rather than "Let's see what dumb and terrible thing someone we don't otherwise pay attention to has said or done!"

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Edit: poo poo if i read the above posts all the way i wouldn't have posted this.

Mea culpa

Rockit fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In light of the James Gunn firing I think Bob is just covering his rear end with his tweet apology.