Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Also I like how this game encourages you to to use shurikens all the time on bosses and puzzles because I remember using them very little in the first game

it feels like a lot of things that got underused in the original are getting their time to shine here

throwing earth spears is really, really awesome, it's like having two subweapons in one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lets hang out posted:

It's not there no. I think Valhalla is the rear side of that zone and there is an ankh there.
So, to be clear, you're saying that Divine Fortress does not contain a guardian? Or at least not one I should/can do anything with this early in the game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zereth posted:

So, to be clear, you're saying that Divine Fortress does not contain a guardian? Or at least not one I should/can do anything with this early in the game?

If there is one I haven't found it yet

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

lets hang out posted:

If there is one I haven't found it yet
I'm asking because based on La Mulana 1, there being a boss in the "Back Side" of an area is no indication that there wouldn't be one in the "front side".

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

I'm asking because based on La Mulana 1, there being a boss in the "Back Side" of an area is no indication that there wouldn't be one in the "front side".

You might be making assumptions on bad pretenses because in La Mulana 1 there is exactly one guardian for each front-back pair.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

lets hang out posted:

I've got a spreadsheet laid out like a grid that I duplicate the maps onto and then cover in notes to remind myself where all the puzzles and stuff I need to return to with certain items are. Very recommended

Im doing this and also keeping a word document of all tablets/skeletons so I can do a ctrl+f search on them later (also helps commit things to memory) as well as keeping a notebook of weird looking objects/running theories/unsolved mysteries. It makes following up on stuff like sigils really easy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SettingSun posted:

You might be making assumptions on bad pretenses because in La Mulana 1 there is exactly one guardian for each front-back pair.
... wait, really? I would have sworn... :psyduck:

EDIT: Well, I guess I can stop wandering around the Divine Fortress going "where the hell is it??" then.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It gets even weirder though which now that I'm thinking about it throws even my assumptions of this game into question: (more LM1 spoilers) All the guardians are in the front side fields.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SettingSun posted:

It gets even weirder though which now that I'm thinking about it throws even my assumptions of this game into question: (more LM1 spoilers) All the guardians are in the front side fields.

you can always consider that some kind of fuckery might be going on, like how (LM1 spoiler)tiamat's power let her drag the frontside into the back, although i'm early on enough to where i dunno whether to expect anything like that

i'm curious if there's a sign to indicate specifically which are which in la-mulana 2 like there was in the first game with the bats, though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They have back side tablets, but it's unclear if this distinction affects anything since there's multiple twin lab type conjoined areas I've seen

Also the return of rotation dungeon is not appreciated!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 31, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the tablets look different but part of me was hoping there'd be some weird detail that sets them apart definitively in case some weird poo poo is going on

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

you can always consider that some kind of fuckery might be going on, like how (LM1 spoiler)tiamat's power let her drag the frontside into the back, although i'm early on enough to where i dunno whether to expect anything like that

i'm curious if there's a sign to indicate specifically which are which in la-mulana 2 like there was in the first game with the bats, though
You had to find a special item to even be able to see the gates to Backside areas in LM1, IIRC, while there was much less of a big deal made about the zone I have on the other list of grail warp points. I'm still early, but I don't think the game is making a big deal out of it like it did in LM1. Weren't all the Front and Back side areas the same size and shape on the map, too?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have a pretty good guess on how the backside will work if there is one but if I find any hell-like area in the roots then Im settling on this game not having one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I haven't been paying attention to where the murals you can't read are and now I have to search the world for them I guess

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

corn in the bible posted:

I haven't been paying attention to where the murals you can't read are and now I have to search the world for them I guess

Lmao what a rookie mistake. I bet you havent been recording the sigil grids either.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zereth posted:

Weren't all the Front and Back side areas the same size and shape on the map, too?

They weren't, but La Mulana had a very clever and also infuriating puzzle related to this: All the maps misled you from the fact that all the fields were actually 4x5 squares that wrap around (if exits allow).

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 31, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Lmao what a rookie mistake. I bet you havent been recording the sigil grids either.

I actually have been screen capping those when I see them because you can just look at them, but I assumed you'd get the translator early on because of LM1 and then I didn't for a long time

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I got that item super early on

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nidhogg takes around 60 shuriken and the reward is a big kick in the dick, unless you like some I Want To Be The Guy series of death rooms. Money better saved for later and ignore the fool.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

Nidhogg takes around 60 shuriken and the reward is a big kick in the dick, unless you like some I Want To Be The Guy series of death rooms. Money better saved for later and ignore the fool.

try whipping and turning around at the apex of your jump

you can whip both sides of you, keep momentum, and fast fall back in the direction you were going

the physics in this game are a big improvement over the original and it owns

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

You can get the claw real quick without dealing with any difficult platforming.

also if you mean those ice pillars, you literally just gotta jump between them and you'll be fine. other stuff is way more annoying

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The ice pillar claw thing completely baffles me but maybe it's because I'm playing with an analog stick.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

uPen posted:

The ice pillar claw thing completely baffles me but maybe it's because I'm playing with an analog stick.

what

why

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Because it's comfortable? I use the dpad sometimes for certain things but 90% of the time it's not necessary.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Anyway those pillars are pretty easy, just continue to hold up and the direction you wanna go while you jump. i assume that's probably doable on analog?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tanks But No Tanks posted:

try whipping and turning around at the apex of your jump

you can whip both sides of you, keep momentum, and fast fall back in the direction you were going

the physics in this game are a big improvement over the original and it owns
I got the claw some time ago. The classic Mega Man strategy does work in this instance.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
this game has slightly better physics but also a bizarre set of minibosses that move incredibly fast and have contact damage, while your ability to hurt them is constrained to a single pixel timed perfectly. there's a boss that i tried to cheese by ducking, hitting with whip, and dodging but the attack is semi-random and is impossible to dodge 100%

i counted the hits and got in like 110 whip hits before dying.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

this game has slightly better physics but also a bizarre set of minibosses that move incredibly fast and have contact damage, while your ability to hurt them is constrained to a single pixel timed perfectly. there's a boss that i tried to cheese by ducking, hitting with whip, and dodging but the attack is semi-random and is impossible to dodge 100%

i counted the hits and got in like 110 whip hits before dying.

If you mean the squirrel in battlefield there's a trick to that. so far there's been a pattern or trick to all of them except GIANT COW who is awful and I hate it, and the knight who kept getting stuck on things and i just rolling shurikened to death because he couldn't move properly

now i need more rolling shuriken but i can't find the shop

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wasn't actually sure when i was supposed to do nidhogg but i killed it after the first guardian and i don't think it took as many shurikens as others have said? i definitely didn't have that many. in any case, i had no idea how i'd really go about that without using subweapons, but i did it early on.

for as much as that helped me, cuz i'm loving around the same gaggle of areas most people are meandering around in currently after my 5 hours of playing so far and what was beyond that miniboss sure didn't look like much i wanted to tangle with as of yet. got the claw, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Someone wanna clue me in on where to go next, I'm a bit stuck here.
I've beaten 2 guardians, found The Gate of the Dead , and Mulbruk is currently hanging upside down in a room in Annwfn that's blocked by a poison gas trap. I tried going through the Gate of blood but the miniboss there feels like it's immune to damage at the moment.

I feel like I need either something to wallclimb or something to push blocks with, but I don't really know where to go for either.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

uhhhhhhh i just stumbled into the fact that the early store in the la-mulana ruins by the grail chest starts selling an ankh jewel for 50 gold at some point

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the puzzle for the pushing glove is genuinely really bad

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

If you mean the squirrel in battlefield there's a trick to that. so far there's been a pattern or trick to all of them except GIANT COW who is awful and I hate it, and the knight who kept getting stuck on things and i just rolling shurikened to death because he couldn't move properly

now i need more rolling shuriken but i can't find the shop

was talking about underworld bird in hailfire peaks

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cow's ez with spears. You can hold up to give them a higher arc, they do a lot of damage

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nvm, found the glove. That was a dumb puzzle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

was talking about underworld bird in hailfire peaks

Oh yeah, that guy. An NPC told me that you need a specific thing to kill it so I guess just leave the bird alone for now.

I think you also need to talk to the guy to start the sequence, who is in the part of the treetops you have to cross those ice pillars to reach. He tells you to find someone else for more instructions and I did, but haven't progressed further because I think I lack the needed items to do what they suggest.

anyway tldr it's a puzzle boss so just leave it alone

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 31, 2018

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

uhhhhhhh i just stumbled into the fact that the early store in the la-mulana ruins by the grail chest starts selling an ankh jewel for 50 gold at some point

from the jump

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Having the boss hp item was helpful because I realized the bird wasn't taking any damage

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

all i'll say is that it's worth it to go check out the la-mulana sections again once you have a couple little movement upgrades under your belt, surprising no one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Does anyone know the solution to this block puzzle in Immortal Battlefield?
The blocks reset to their original positions when you move offscreen to the right, so I'm baffled