Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I recently switched to T-mobile from Verizon. I have my mom on my account. She had a LG flip phone on Verizon that she really liked. I see T-mobile only offers an Alcatel flip phone that has a bunch of negative reviews. Are there any other flip phones that work on T-mobile that anyone could recommend? At the moment my friend gave me an old iPhone that I set up for her and showed her to use the phone app but she seems to have a hard time remembering how to use it. My dad helps her since he has a Samsung phone but I worry if she is alone and needs to use the phone she won't remember how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

One of the imported nokia banana phones should work on tmo

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I checked the Nokia site and saw the 3310. I didn't even realize this was still around. This phone actually looks great but it is only 3g and I think I remember reading that T-mobile wanted to turn off the 3g network on 2020 or before. The price is surprisingly low so maybe I'll just grab it. Thank you for the suggestion.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

It sounds like you don't care much about data on your phone? Good solution might be to get the $20 talk and text only line on a flip phone (we only sell the one and it's garbage, I dunno about unlocked options, but the J3 Star and Aristo 2 really aren't that bad), plus $20 for an unlimited data tablet line, plus $25 for unlimited hotspot on the tablet.

$65 for an unlimited hotspot and a phone isn't a bad deal at all, assuming that the talk/text line counts to get the discount on the tablet line that makes it $20. I haven't done this myself and don't know if it works that way, but I had a manager tell me that they've seen people do it and it works.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
On the One Plus plan is the 10GB of 4G hotspot data per line or per account?

Looking at possibly migrating to T-Mobile on account of Verizon not doing workplace employee discounts on their unlimited plans and it would be fairly pricey to move to it (my current $115-ish bill would end up being at $185 if I stayed) and my Mom has been.... ravenous on data lately:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Per line. There is no shared data or minutes or anything

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I got my iPhone 8 last year on the $300 trade in program that spreads the credit over 24 months but required me to pay for the phone on installments. My understanding is that 12 months in I can upgrade to a new phone (potentially a to-be-released iPhone this fall). What are the mechanics on how this works? Will the credit I'm receiving disappear and I'll have a step up monthly charge for the installment charge kicking out 24 months or will I continue to have the benefit of the credit since after 12 months I'd only have received $150 of it.

I presume I have to turn my 8 in for the upgrade so would there be corresponding new credit to replace it? I know the promotions may be different each year but how has it worked in the past?

In an ideal world I'd pick up the new iPhone X for the same cost I'm paying monthly right now (net $16.67) and no out of pocket but would be for a new 24 month period.

Thanks!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Did you guys know that you can still sign up for the old $30 nerd plan? It's still possible - you just have to buy an old Wal-Mart activation kit off of eBay for ~$120. The sim card inside says "activate by 6/2016" or something like that, so it won't work. When I did it, I had to get a new T-Mobile SIM kit, then use the Wal-Mart kit activation code + the new SIM.

The $120 has already paid for itself in no time at all. I'm lovin' it.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Will I get the note 9 faster if I pre-order in store or online?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Free Pandora Plus for a year in the T-Mobile Tuesday app on August 28th according to today's event.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Anyone having texting troubles this afternoon? New England area? Every text, no matter who I send to, I have to retry. Instantly fails the first time. At first I was blaming my Pixel 2 but I have a friend on an iPhone X with the same problem.

I've also had a lot of trouble with MMS, only lately, where I'll be unable to retrieve them before resetting my APNs. I was also attributing this to my phone but now I'm not so sure.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Silly Burrito posted:

Free Pandora Plus for a year in the T-Mobile Tuesday app on August 28th according to today's event.

:aaaaa:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

manwithoutskin posted:

Anyone having texting troubles this afternoon? New England area? Every text, no matter who I send to, I have to retry. Instantly fails the first time. At first I was blaming my Pixel 2 but I have a friend on an iPhone X with the same problem.

I've also had a lot of trouble with MMS, only lately, where I'll be unable to retrieve them before resetting my APNs. I was also attributing this to my phone but now I'm not so sure.

Just had this exact same thing happen to me (had to send a text twice).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

My iPhone X service has dropped considerably over the last few weeks and my mic seems to only work when it wants to. Speaker phone or Bluetooth is fine.

I’m on iOS beta for 12 but my gfs phone isn’t on beta but has the same service bar droppage. Her mic seems fine

Any ideas? Voice memos seems to work fine. I’m guessing it’s just beta poo poo, but service bars have definitely dropped all around

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 16, 2018

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

No Butt Stuff posted:

Will I get the note 9 faster if I pre-order in store or online?

All preorders are the same to my knowledge.

Here's a pretty interesting thing: https://www.cnet.com/news/oneplus-6t-will-launch-in-october-with-t-mobile-as-us-partner/

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/24/17776836/tmobile-hack-data-breach-personal-information-two-million-customers

They've got your address, phone number, account number, etc.

No Social, passwords, financial data.

If you were affected they are texting you.

Edit: Oh just got a text, guess they weren't done going down the list. Dang.

minusX fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 24, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Got my text this morning. I consider it an inevitability in this day. Maybe if companies were held responsible for data breaches they would tighten up security. I'm sure someone will say, 'they would just hide it', but what's the difference? Knowing that someone stole my address, phone#, etc., doesn't help me considering it's been stolen 8,000 times in the last 10 years.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

wormil posted:

Maybe if companies were held responsible for data breaches they would tighten up security.

This is incredibly naive. Perfect security is impossible, especially in a system where no amount of programming expertise can defend against social engineering attacks. Furthermore, how can you accurately assign liability when different hacks expose the same information and it might be a couple years before someone works their way to your data in the millions of entries in the database dump they purchased a year after the hack?

That's not to say the system can't be improved (I'd like to see identity theft protection provided as a government service akin to healthcare) but griping that 'companies aren't being held responsible' completely ignores the challenges involved.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

minusX posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/24/17776836/tmobile-hack-data-breach-personal-information-two-million-customers

They've got your address, phone number, account number, etc.

No Social, passwords, financial data.

If you were affected they are texting you.

Edit: Oh just got a text, guess they weren't done going down the list. Dang.

That’s fun. It’s a good thing they didn’t get the PIN numbers, all you need to take someone’s number in the US is the account number and PIN number. As it is, I see enough fraud at work (pretty much daily) so I’m sure this will only generate more of it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Get your free year of Pandora Plus!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

Get your free year of Pandora Plus!

No credit card needed now. It's considered a gift subscription rather than a promotional one.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
First worthwhile thing T-Mobile Tuesdays has done in almost a year.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It still doesn't give you browsing access so I'll keep using spotify I guess

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Did they run out of Pandora codes? I’m not seeing it in the Tuesdays app and I’m sure I’m the primary account holder.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Did they run out of Pandora codes? I’m not seeing it in the Tuesdays app and I’m sure I’m the primary account holder.

Just claimed mine. They changed the Tuesday app a bit. You have to “claim/save” deals for them to show up under available

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just claimed mine. They changed the Tuesday app a bit. You have to “claim/save” deals for them to show up under available

That’s what I have for the Shell deal, but Pandora is outright missing save the message that it’s up. I also see the Barnes & Noble deal as well.

Edit: This is how it looks in my browser on my desktop and it's exactly the same in app, the offer is just plain not there.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 28, 2018

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I just grabbed it and applied it. Are you in the US?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think it’s only one per account? Maybe you have to be the primary account holder? or someone else claimed...?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

I just grabbed it and applied it. Are you in the US?

Yep.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think it’s only one per account? Maybe you have to be the primary account holder? or someone else claimed...?

Terms say primary account holder, which I am. Billing page says so. Other line doesn’t even have the Tuesdays app installed nor have T-Mobile account to logjn with.

My guess is that I literally just transferred into T-Mobile from Verizon this past weekend and I guess background account stuff is still wonky. I dunno, the Shell offer redeemed just fine and just now cashed it in. :iiam:

Not a big deal, would have been nice for my Mom to have since she actually does use Pandora.

Edit: Got in contact with support over Twitter (neat system they got to apply my Twitter username attached to my service phone number). Looks like my guess was right, because my account was fairly new, it wasn't technically active before the offer was put in the system. The rep put in a ticket to get me a code that'll show up in the Tuesdays app within 24 hours. Real smooth process.

It's been less than a week and even though I've had to contact support twice (this issue and enabling HD video on the One Plus plan), they've both been positive experiences. I can see why they get rated highly in customer service.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 29, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

T-Mobile is good OP.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
when is the 600mhz band a thing

i need the coverage bad

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mad Wack posted:

when is the 600mhz band a thing

i need the coverage bad

It's been rolling out in lots of places but you probably don't have a phone with a 600mhz radio.

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-phones-700

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a 600mhz coverage map?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a 600mhz coverage map?

I haven't seen an official one.
http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

This looks to be sourced from information released by T-Mobile.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

And as promised by support, I have the Pandora offer sitting in my account now. Excellent!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is there any difference between pandora plus and Spotify premium?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is there any difference between pandora plus and Spotify premium?

Pandora Plus is just the same station style system the free version uses just with no ads and unlimited skipping. So no playlists, no searching the exact song or album you want to play. Pandora Premium is closer to Spotify than Plus is.

https://www.pandora.com/upgrade

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Pandora Plus doesn't have unlimited skips, as I'm finding out. It's played the same five songs on this station in the space of an hour and will no longer let me skip "due to licensing restrictions".

So I guess T-Mo bought us ad-free Pandora, which is nice, but it's not what it was sold as.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I haven't seen an official one.
http://www.spectrumgateway.com/600-mhz-spectrum

This looks to be sourced from information released by T-Mobile.

There's another unofficial map here. That one is based on official T-Mobile data that's hidden in one of their official maps (but not actually shown on the map).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There are desktop Pandora apps that ignore ads and have unlimited skips, basically all of the benefits of a premium sub. (Elpis on windows or Hermes on mac)

Pandora is still so limited compared to Spotify that I didn't bother with the Tuesday.