Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

Dang every time I load this thread I get a flash of the guy eating an onion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZHN9MepPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Some video I'm not gonna watch

Oh thank god for the new page

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh thank god for the new page

It's a very good song.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Boss via e-mail: Can you please call [needy client] receptionist? I guess her computer isn't working. That's all the info I got.
[calls]
Me to boss: Turning on the computer got it to work again. Who knew?
Boss: Wow

:suicide:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Ticket Sender posted:

Still having problem with my phone not sending attachments. Can I get a new phone?

My Response posted:

What is the issue you are having with the attachments? I'm not finding any record of it in our ticketing system.

Ticket Sender posted:

Yes. I talked to you before about it. Still having problems with it sending attachments.you check it out before and said there was nothing wrong.

Looks like there is probably nothing wrong.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

siggy2021 posted:

Looks like there is probably nothing wrong.

When you asked me to test I sent a JPEG and it worked. But when I get home I'm trying to send a 150 MB MPEG and it doesn't work. What the hell is wrong with you that you can't fix this properly, buy me a new phone already!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Boss via e-mail: Can you please call [needy client] receptionist? I guess her computer isn't working. That's all the info I got.
[calls]
Me to boss: Turning on the computer got it to work again. Who knew?
Boss: Wow

I had one the other day, I was in another department for a meeting and some girl went 'oh before you go, we are having a problem with these computers - we've noticed they are all plugged into this extension lead, so can we have another one?'

I just walked over and flicked the switch on the plug (UK...) and walked out without saying a word :lol:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Don't be too harsh, maybe she was from some shithole country that can't afford to put switches on its electrical sockets.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I’ve had power strips be a legit request thought. 7 computers and a space heater plugged into one strip will usually pop the strip if not the circuit breaker itself. Splitting up the load is something that needs to be done sometimes.

Ahah of course I’m kidding. The users never think of this themselves. I have to bitch at them about plugging a space heater into an already overloaded cheap strip.

Usually they want more so they can daisy chain them.

gently caress fire and electric codes, right?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

When we moved the HelpDesk to another building a million years ago now, we pulled out the cabinets and found multiple daisy chains of power strips. I recall the longest one being 7 with a few "satellite" things plugged in here and there along the chain.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Don't have to go to work if the building burns down

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kalas posted:

I’ve had power strips be a legit request thought. 7 computers and a space heater plugged into one strip will usually pop the strip if not the circuit breaker itself. Splitting up the load is something that needs to be done sometimes.

Ahah of course I’m kidding. The users never think of this themselves. I have to bitch at them about plugging a space heater into an already overloaded cheap strip.

Usually they want more so they can daisy chain them.

gently caress fire and electric codes, right?

We outright banned space heaters and power strips when we moved offices, it's pretty great.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our new department PCs came in...

Except my manager refuses to let IT manage our PCs for whatever reason. We're a 24/7 center so we have 12 desks for about 20 people who rotate desks. Management wants me to individually log in to each of the 12 computers and manually create a local account for every single employee in the department. I also need to install old versions of firefox/chrome, disable automatic updates for them, and manually set java security exceptions because half of our tools are web based java apps and we didn't move on with the rest of the world. As far as I know this has to be done on an individual basis on each profile.

No AD or GPO allowed of course.

Also I'm not allowed to have the local Admin password, because some people in the department can't be trusted with it, and they're terrified of looking like they're playing favorite by giving only people who know what they're doing the password.

I flat out refused. I'm sure there's still an easier way but...no. Just no. No no no no no no no no no no no. No way. Never in a million years. You can't pay me enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

Except my manager refuses to let IT manage our PCs for whatever reason. We're a 24/7 center so we have 12 desks for about 20 people who rotate desks. Management wants me to individually log in to each of the 12 computers and manually create a local account for every single employee in the department. I also need to install old versions of firefox/chrome, disable automatic updates for them, and manually set java security exceptions because half of our tools are web based java apps and we didn't move on with the rest of the world. As far as I know this has to be done on an individual basis on each profile.

No AD or GPO allowed of course.

Also I'm not allowed to have the local Admin password, because some people in the department can't be trusted with it, and they're terrified of looking like they're playing favorite by giving only people who know what they're doing the password.

I flat out refused. I'm sure there's still an easier way but...no. Just no. No no no no no no no no no no no. No way. Never in a million years. You can't pay me enough.

The easier way is to let IT do it.

Worst case scenario you do your own active directory, but you really shouldn't.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

The Fool posted:

The easier way is to let IT do it.

Worst case scenario you do your own active directory, but you really shouldn't.

Yeah, I wouldn't even let that department on my network with that kind of attitude. Hope you like hotspots from your cellphones.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

We outright banned space heaters and power strips when we moved offices, it's pretty great.

Why power strips? Unless you’ve got really well organized outlets that can be big. If I couldn’t have a power strip two of my monitors would have to be directly behind me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why power strips? Unless you’ve got really well organized outlets that can be big. If I couldn’t have a power strip two of my monitors would have to be directly behind me.

Probably have those wired cubes or other furniture

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Everybody has four outlets at their desk, they don't need any more unless they're plugging in some unauthorized poo poo.

(We let the devs have some strips because they do actually need to hook up a bunch of extra testing stuff.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Renegret posted:

Is it even possible to do all that poo poo without admin rights?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Probably because if you let them, people would connect 4 laser printers and a coffee machine to each power strip.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

spog posted:

Probably because if you let them, people would connect 4 laser printers and a coffee machine to each power strip.

And attempt to print to the coffee machine because it would be on the network. Then put in a bunch of urgent tickets about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Renegret posted:

This is the sort of situation where I can see a managed PC and then a VDI/whatever session for techs to use where they have full admin but it's on a restricted network being the best way forward. LOB stuff like email, web browsing etc. happens in a stable environment, the virtual workspace is built off a template but each person's own customizations follow them around.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Gerdalti posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't even let that department on my network with that kind of attitude. Hope you like hotspots from your cellphones.

We're not on IT's network, that's how the whole problem started.

IT recommended we just get on their drat network and VPN into whatever we needed on the other network like normal human beings but my management thinks it's too much effort to rewire the PCs to get to the corporate network. I think they forgot that the correct drops are already there and ready to go. Plus...that's IT's job anyway. My coworkers also thinks IT is going to spy on our web usage and fire us if we're caught on amazon, like IT actually gives a drat.

spog posted:

It is when you can call a supervisor over to type the password in every time you need it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Renegret posted:

We're not on IT's network, that's how the whole problem started.

IT recommended we just get on their drat network and VPN into whatever we needed on the other network like normal human beings but my management thinks it's too much effort to rewire the PCs to get to the corporate network. I think they forgot that the correct drops are already there and ready to go. Plus...that's IT's job anyway. My coworkers also thinks IT is going to spy on our web usage and fire us if we're caught on amazon, like IT actually gives a drat.

It is when you can call a supervisor over to type the password in every time you need it.

ha someone is trying to protect their job imo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

ha someone is trying to protect their job imo

There's a lot of that going on right now so yeah. Just lay me off at this point, I don't give a drat.

Considering we're absorbing the responsibilities of two other departments right now, (it's just for redundancy though! Nobody's getting laid off! We promise!), I don't think my department has anything to worry about.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Renegret posted:

There's a lot of that going on right now so yeah. Just lay me off at this point, I don't give a drat.

Considering we're absorbing the responsibilities of two other departments right now, (it's just for redundancy though! Nobody's getting laid off! We promise!), I don't think my department has anything to worry about.

Oh not you. Those policies are set by a dead man desperately attempting to stay relevant against progress

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh not you. Those policies are set by a dead man desperately attempting to stay relevant against progress

The dead man is my boss who doesn't actually have anything to worry about, yet is causing problems then pinning it on me because he doesn't know how to do it himself.

Mostly because I'm "The Computer Guy" aka the only person who understands what SSH is and no, you do not "putty" into a box, and no, you do not NEED SecureCRT to access the jump server. Putty will also work. I promise.

I might be a little burnt out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

pr0digal posted:

And attempt to print to the coffee machine because it would be on the network. Then put in a bunch of urgent tickets about it.

They're marked urgent because it used to work before.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

(it's just for redundancy though! Nobody's getting laid off! We promise!)

"Made redundant" is the UK version of "laid off", this seems relevant here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pr0digal posted:

PCL = Prepare Cafe Latte.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Everybody has four outlets at their desk, they don't need any more unless they're plugging in some unauthorized poo poo.

(We let the devs have some strips because they do actually need to hook up a bunch of extra testing stuff.)

We’ve got 4 outlets, but it’s placed so that I would need 6-8 foot power cords to get from the second set of 2 to where my monitors are.

I have three monitors because more monitors = more important than.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We’ve got 4 outlets, but it’s placed so that I would need 6-8 foot power cords to get from the second set of 2 to where my monitors are.

I have three monitors because more monitors = more important than.

Look at this guy bragging about how big his desk is

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My desk is currently a Pelican case in a server room.

I can't wait until I have a real desk again :unsmith:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Big desk, but no drawers

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sefal posted:

Big desk, but no drawers

My weekend look

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Look at this guy bragging about how big his desk is

It helps me hide when I’m having my twice-daily crying sessions.

More seriously you need extra length to run the cable along the wall, I’ve got one of those three-side cubicles and sit facing diagonally because that’s the only way to get a decent amount of mouse room.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have some old rack PDUs which are fancy 15A power strips. Work great on the back of my desk. I’m not dumb enough to plug in 10 coffee pots though. We will get cited for NFPA violation by daisy chaining the things - maybe that’s good enough ammo to get that garbage fixed ?

Note you can’t simply have an electrician wire 99 outlets on a 20 or 30A circuit either and solve this problem.

See: retrofit bullshit cubes which get wired into a single circuit also shared with the outlet nearest the cleaners floor buffer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Three-phase bus bars underneath raised floors :gizz:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I just had a client argue with me about the behavior of loose fibre cables. Yes, sometimes they will show the LUNs but at the same time they could lose that connection at the drop of a hat!

It's almost like loose cables are a real thing that happens! :ughh:

Re: electrical chat. I killed a 20A circuit once by plugging 5X 4U RAID Arrays into it plus a 2U server instead of splitting the power. Oops :downs:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 31, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Are you just jamming the glass into some sort of data hole ?

What the hell is a “loose fiber cable”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Partycat posted:

Are you just jamming the glass into some sort of data hole ?

What the hell is a “loose fiber cable”?

isn't that how you install fiber?