Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
why the hell did they turn inventory off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

why the hell did they turn inventory off

to hide the fact that they were putting damaged, short-circuited battery modules into cars, and/or to try to play dumb when one inevitably explodes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so that it was no longer possible to tell that previously "scrapped" parts were being put back into production

literally. according to the filing, that's the reason.

read the drat tweet

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
They're probably insured for that case like crazy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

so that it was no longer possible to tell that previously "scrapped" parts were being put back into production

read the drat tweet

i mean i read it but you can't just do that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'd suggest that they can and did

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i thought you had to provide supply chain records and poo poo to the car regulator people

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

i thought you had to provide supply chain records and poo poo to the car regulator people
i don't know that that's true, but even if it is, since when have sv companies given a poo poo about silly things like following the law?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it'd be the purview of the nhtsa, but i think they're purely reactive, it's not like every vehicle off the lot needs a parts list and provenance filed

if there's an investigation leading to a recall it'd be real loving stupid not to have one. but welp.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what makes you think that tesla has any interest in following regulations?

this is the company that reported 200,000 $1000 fully refundable deposits as $200M revenue

the company that avoided painting hazardous areas in its factory yellow because elon doesn't like yellow

the company that shows its cars driving themselves hands-free in ads then adds some fine print in the EULA saying "actually you can't do that"

the company that makes its customers sign NDAs before performing warranty work, to avoid revealing how broken their cars are or conducting a recall

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
im baffled at a company just turning off a core part of their manufacturing process. i dont know why im shocked i just keep suspecting that someone there knows how to run an assembly line

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

presumably at this point they've all hosed off for fear of criminal liability

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

quote:

Musk grabs a coffee-table book published by The Onion and starts leafing through it, laughing hysterically. “In order to understand the essential truth of things,” he theorizes, “I think you can find it in The Onion and occasionally on Reddit.”

Afterward, he asks excitedly, “Have you ever seen Rick and Morty?” And the conversation bounces from that animated show to South Park to The Simpsons to the book Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

One of the lines from Hitchhiker’s, Musk says, ended up being Musk Family Rule Number One: “Don’t panic.”

“The boys were quite skittish about all kinds of things,” Riley explains.

“That’s our other rule,” Musk continues. “Safety third. There’s not even a Rule Number Two. But even though there’s nothing in second place, safety is not getting promoted to number two.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/elon-musk-the-architect-of-tomorrow-120850/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:barf:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

this is the company that reported 200,000 $1000 fully refundable deposits as $200M revenue

it's worth pointing out that none of their released financials follow GAAP, they're just making poo poo up whole cloth and they're a publicly traded company

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HOW IS THAT NOT A PARODY

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you want to literally vomit just look at home the simpsons sucked his dick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8N1SCreyM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

marvel too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msWdmxQbdQU&t=30s

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgMCNXzNtE

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

the cringe of infinite power

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hahaha... I am never going to watch STD

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
jesus CHrist

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
bump

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gently caress this clip and gently caress you for posting it i hate this hellfuckutre we live in

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

read the drat tweet

any sort of company with an iso 9001 cert or emphasis on quality assurance should be tracking all this poo poo and not loving comingling nonconforming damage material back into the supply stream without a material review board authorization after rework

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

any sort of company with an iso 9001 cert or emphasis on quality assurance should be tracking all this poo poo and not loving comingling nonconforming damage material back into the supply stream without a material review board authorization after rework

also this isnt what tesla even attempts to give a poo poo about

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

exploded mummy posted:

sounds like the suppliers who are too slow, inflexible, and expensive for elon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

no loving poo poo, but what does that have to do with tesla?

like, i don't believe tesla motors is iso 9001 certified or compliant

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

safety third, i want to feel the wind against my face as the car sails past on the assembly line at 90 mph

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the company that has, in 100% of cases, gone and done exactly the opposite of what any manufacturing or process engineer has told them to do

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i`m remembering the star trek clip and gnawing at my wrists

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

good thing the orville exists so we don't have to watch std

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

also this isnt what tesla even attempts to give a poo poo about

well yeah, what they're worrying about is arbitrary production targets, so that they can maintain their stock valuation. which is why they needed to shove damaged parts back into the production pipeline, and then cover it up, to begin with

the good news is most of these vehicles aren't actually shipping to customers, so probably fewer people will die.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 1, 2018

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

akadajet posted:

good thing the orville exists so we don't have to watch std
you actually don't ahve to watch anything regardless of whether or not there's another show

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
elon musk kill the tesla owners

Endless Mike posted:

turning off inventory tracking means when the inevitable forced recall comes, they will have to recall 100% of cars manufactured in that timeframe

it also seems like they vastly broadened their legal exposure if any tesla battery fails horribly. even if that failure was random and had nothing to do with this gently caress up, they purposely destroyed the documentation they'd need to prove it wasn't due to their own gross negligence

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's a tough call choosing between star trek discovery and the orville

one show praises an untalented egomaniac who has an inexplicably loyal fanbase and the other is star trek discovery

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Stymie posted:

it's a tough call choosing between star trek discovery and the orville

one show praises an untalented egomaniac who has an inexplicably loyal fanbase and the other is star trek discovery

:dogtits:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
why cant they make a good star trek

u think it would be easy but its just the rootbeer scene and in the pale moonlight

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
sorry for the double post but i wanted to make sure my lasst post buymped this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
elon y