Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

That's what makes Hideaki Anno taking a sledgehammer to the franchise, dousing it in gasoline, lighting it on fire, and then pissing out the words gently caress ALL OF YOU on its ashes with Rebuild 3.33 all the more hilarious. The man hates the thing he created and all the people who love it and rightly so. He actually, consciously did the thing all the screeching racist manbabies accuse Rian Johnson of doing to Star Wars to Evangelion and no one loving gets it.
Well there are a lot of weeb man babies upset about 3.33, but I have no idea how you could have the opinion that it's destroyed the franchise. All of the actually important bits are still there the only thing altered or destroyed are the dumb continuity stuff that categorically does not matter. The movies are in a lot of respects a adult who is dealing with their mental baggage looking back on destructive ways they used to cope with that same baggage. Hence why the movies don't suffer from the show's atrocious pacing.

Puppy Time posted:

*Granted, with extremely different sociological issues relating to power and colonization, but that's irrelevant for this example.
Don't worry for that we have anime appropriating Chinese and Korean cultural signifiers.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hence why the movies don't suffer from the show's atrocious pacing.

I think the fact they're not working with a TV season schedule and also don't have to rewrite their finale because of a terror attack is also part of that

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1024491015598628864

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I Before E posted:

I think the fact they're not working with a TV season schedule and also don't have to rewrite their finale because of a terror attack is also part of that
but the finale was hands down the best part of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like most creative people regard their early efforts this way, but exploitation aside everyone doing the CA thing was so insanely young at the beginning that they should go easy a little when looking back.

And it could have gone a lot worse. At least you weren’t that atheist guy who went nazi and hosed the banana, you know? And at least you’re not Doug.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Lindsey’s twitter name. gently caress yeah.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

but the finale was hands down the best part of the show.

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying the need to change direction like that couldn't have helped the pacing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hence why the movies don't suffer from the show's atrocious pacing.

13+ years to finish a quartet of films that were supposed to be done in the span a year and a half :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

13+ years to finish a quartet of films that were supposed to be done in the span a year and a half :v:

Don't forget just outright sidelining Q/4 to make an entirely different film.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

A poorly scheduled production is only poorly scheduled until it's released, but if it's poorly paced in the media itself it's poorly paced forever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

And it could have gone a lot worse. At least you weren’t that atheist guy who went nazi and hosed the banana, you know? And at least you’re not Doug.

That is perhaps the greatest concurrent triumph and tragedy of Channel Awesome: Doug and Lindsay's career trajectories. Both started out from roughly parallel positions, and over the span of a decade Lindsay has matured and evolved in to a popular and respected academic with a skill and ethic recognized by peers and fans alike and has formed industry-wide professional partnerships with the likes of PBS and more.

And Doug hired Malcolm and Tamara.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget just outright sidelining Q/4 to make an entirely different film.

Except Shin Godzilla is amazing and a much better use of Anno's time than dunking on idiots who refuse to get that he hates them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I feel like most creative people regard their early efforts this way, but exploitation aside everyone doing the CA thing was so insanely young at the beginning that they should go easy a little when looking back.

That guy was amazing :downsrim:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

And it could have gone a lot worse. At least you weren’t that atheist guy who went nazi and hosed the banana, you know?

wat. I'm afraid to ask, but please tell me.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

He stuck a banana up his rear end.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Was there a reason for this?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Hell if I know.

Fluffy the Cat
Jun 1, 2000

lobster22221 posted:

I'm not sure of all the details, but I think he was trying to mock Christian fundamentalists who claimed that the shape of bananas proved Intelligent Design was real. In the end, though, all he succeeded in doing was loving himself with a banana.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lobster22221 posted:

Banana Shits

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
So, where is the switch to turn off the internet forever?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It was Amazing Atheist and supposedly he got catfished, so someone plied him to put chocolate sauce on himself and then shove a banana up his rear end and he did. It happened eons ago back when he was still a big youtube boy.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

What? Surely not the Dark Nella Saga too! :ohdear:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

KayTee posted:

What? Surely not the Dark Nella Saga too! :ohdear:

Obscurum Nella Delenda Est :hist101:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So that rebranding/resurrection of the escapist doesn't look like it's going to be any good, unsurprisingly.

https://twitter.com/Jed05/status/1024071750253006848

Hel fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 1, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I think Lindsey has a good reason to negatively look back at being with CA. I mean, she did get some less then flattering fanart of herself during it.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hel posted:

So that rebranding/resurrection of the escapist doesn't look like it's going to be any good, unsurprisingly.

https://twitter.com/Jed05/status/1024071750253006848

Isn't this the guy who wrote an article about sticking a JoyCon up his arse?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ok why are there two seperate "weird thing stuck up arse" stories that are still both tangentally on topic. why does this keep happening

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ok why are there two seperate "weird thing stuck up arse" stories that are still both tangentally on topic. why does this keep happening

If there is something humans like to do it’s sticking their things into holes and sticking things into their holes

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Junpei Hyde posted:

It ah, uh.. uh finds a way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aDDbKhzyBg

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 1, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Isn't this the guy who wrote an article about sticking a JoyCon up his arse?

Yes. Jed Whitaker has made a good amount of content that you just look at and sigh heavily.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 1, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

You scientists were so occupied if you could, that you forgot to ask if you should.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well it would be the logical conclusion of the labo, a piece of software that will allow you to make the joycons vibrate at will.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nine-gear crow posted:

That is perhaps the greatest concurrent triumph and tragedy of Channel Awesome: Doug and Lindsay's career trajectories. Both started out from roughly parallel positions, and over the span of a decade Lindsay has matured and evolved in to a popular and respected academic with a skill and ethic recognized by peers and fans alike and has formed industry-wide professional partnerships with the likes of PBS and more.

And Doug hired Malcolm and Tamara.

Funniest part is Doug did try to branch out, he just wasn’t funny/talented enough, so now the rear end in a top hat is stuck doing this poo poo until he dies. A fitting end I guess.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Because. Weird reactionaries like him always have publicly embarrassing kinks.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Tired Moritz posted:

Paranoia Agent is less depression and more about society's inability to own up to their gently caress ups.

That show had some great and broken moments. The suicide pact episode still stands as one of the darkest bits of absurdity/comedy I've ever seen and is creepy as hell. drat shame that show is near-impossible to find.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Funniest part is Doug did try to branch out, he just wasn’t funny/talented enough, so now the rear end in a top hat is stuck doing this poo poo until he dies. A fitting end I guess.

Because. Weird reactionaries like him always have publicly embarrassing kinks.

Be fair, sometimes they’re too abstract to be embarrassing. Like Lovecraft, the asexual with the architecture fixation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Be fair, sometimes they’re too abstract to be embarrassing. Like Lovecraft, the asexual with the architecture fixation.

well that and he was genuinely Phobic of everything(not defending of him) so he was probably afraid of sex.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well that and he was genuinely Phobic of everything(not defending of him) so he was probably afraid of sex.

There is an H.R. Giger joke here somewhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

There is an H.R. Giger joke here somewhere.

giger isn't a weird chud. is he? i hope not. i know he just made cock/vagina monsters.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I remember seeing ads for this on Nick all the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CN9HpYrjeM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember seeing ads for this on Nick all the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CN9HpYrjeM

Oh holy poo poo, Nickelodeon made a death trap? I gotta see this thing.