Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The old thread got archive so I'm gonna post this. I bought this today and my only experience was the demo for the 360 version but i'm loving it so far, just did the Hydra encounter in the first encampment. There's a lot I don't understand (can't find any merchants, have no idea how the pawn system works) but this game feels like some Capcom people got sealed off from the outside world in a room with a copy of Morrowind for a few years and were told to make a game and it owns.

Some questions. Can you switch around classes later or are you locked from the start of the game? I chose Strider and don't regret it but looking at menus it seems like there is some kind of multiclass stuff going on

Also am I gimping myself if Im just running with one pawn right now? I kind of like the idea of my stubby, silent little archer running around the world with his hulking bowl-cutted wizard slave Huckleberry but i'm also getting ripped apart by wolves right now so idk. Anyway godspeed and good gaming! Feel free to give tips of cool poo poo to go check out, this game feels super open already and I remember hearing imps say that some really simple-looking sidequests end up being way more interesting than they appear so lmk if there's something I shouldn't miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

Some questions. Can you switch around classes later or are you locked from the start of the game?

Also am I gimping myself if Im just running with one pawn right now?
I'm only answering because you asked.

You can switch, and you can use anywhere between 0 and 3 pawns. 3 is optimal but you also spend more time managing pawns, and more importantly finding good ones. Entirely up to you.

Minimize spoilers when it comes to quests and exploration. Way more fun to stumble on things, and the game is fun and easy to replay so don't stress about missing out.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

you can change classes pretty much any time once you get to the big city i iirc.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wolves hunt in packs, Arisen.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

something the game doesn't tell you is that your stat increases are tied to your class so don't run off and change classes ttoo soon. although iirc the "best" way to level was to be a warrior for the first 20 levels or some poo poo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh yeah I just got to Gran Soren. I don't want to play a warrior, having my pawn enchant my arrows is too cool

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah I just got to Gran Soren. I don't want to play a warrior, having my pawn enchant my arrows is too cool

its fine you can't gimp yourself too bad unless you class change super early or change over and over. like once you hit level 10 or 20 you can class change which isn't too far ino the game but you shouldn't becasue of the levelling system

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I have laughed out loud so many times in this game from the first moment I chucked a fat fisherman's child down some stairs to 5 seconds ago when I found a scroll called "Wolf Strategy, Vol. 3"

edit: shan't say what the scroll contains for fear of spoilers

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
dragons dogma is such a great game but jfc there are so many obnoxious things about it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

its fine you can't gimp yourself too bad unless you class change super early or change over and over. like once you hit level 10 or 20 you can class change which isn't too far ino the game but you shouldn't becasue of the levelling system

Some of the skills I can learn have corresponding class icons next to them which make me think they're exclusive but I'm assuming the other ones can still be equipped as long as I'm using the appropriate weapon or whatever after I switch? Just spent like 20 minutes chopping off lizardman tails down by the river this game is a blast

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Some of the skills I can learn have corresponding class icons next to them which make me think they're exclusive but I'm assuming the other ones can still be equipped as long as I'm using the appropriate weapon or whatever after I switch? Just spent like 20 minutes chopping off lizardman tails down by the river this game is a blast

yeah i think that's how it worked i haven't played it in a few years. so like most/all dagger skills can be shared between strider and assassin and some of the strider skills can transfer to the archer but only shortbows, or soemthing

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

being lost and not having a clue was the best part of DD for me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's the 3 basic classes, 3 advanced versions that are a variation on the way the normal classes play, and then hybrid classes like the strider/warrior one that lets you use swords and a bow and lets you use roughly half the skills from each. I think the other hybrid classes basically work the same way. I was a basic warrior the entire game and it doesn't hurt you to do that. There's things called augments though that can be used on any class once unlocked or some poo poo? So it encourages you to play around a little in the midgame

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is there any reason not to spend the 1k discipline or whatever to upgrade my pawn from basic mage to sorcerer immediately? That's the part I don't understand lol

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

goferchan posted:

Is there any reason not to spend the 1k discipline or whatever to upgrade my pawn from basic mage to sorcerer immediately? That's the part I don't understand lol

I dont remember exactly but there may be augments and skills that benefit you as a sorcerer you can only get from levelling as mage

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

also i think sorcerers dont have healing spells or something I really dont remember now

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

Different skills, augments. But you can always switch back. Mage/Sorcerer are more similar to each other than any other two classes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if you can still rent my pawn. That was always one of my favorite parts of the game, seeing all the random pawns pulled in from friends lists

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorcerer doesn't have healing and I think weapon buffs iirc. Also they don't get the same augments as mages so there's probably something you want to unlock first but i found magic very boring in this game so idk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I wonder if you can still rent my pawn. That was always one of my favorite parts of the game, seeing all the random pawns pulled in from friends lists
Yes you can. Stacey, right? Steam friends' pawns always show up in the void, so I have a pile of Imp pawns that turn up every time. George Kosm, the Costanza impersonator, also shows up. I forget which Imp made him.

I still play this pretty regularly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes you can. Stacey, right? Steam friends' pawns always show up in the void, so I have a pile of Imp pawns that turn up every time. George Kosm, the Costanza impersonator, also shows up. I forget which Imp made him.

I still play this pretty regularly.

Lol George Kosm is evil eagle's I think.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Sorcerer doesn't have healing and I think weapon buffs iirc. Also they don't get the same augments as mages so there's probably something you want to unlock first but i found magic very boring in this game so idk

They still have weapon buffs and do insane damage so they're great pawns. All 9 vocations have unique augments.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

I don't see yours but I see some other imps, did you play on steam? i'm on ps4. i feel bad renting them tho because they all cost 0 and they're at like level 50 while i'm level 10

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Human bones that move on their own!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm curious as to whether it's ever explored in the story how hosed up the Pawn concept is or if it's just an accepted part of the setting lol. Either way that's cool, I love the fact that I have an 8ft tall magical mongoloid slave following me around who is thrilled to discover that wolves hunt in packs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dragon's Doge, The Ballad of the Doge Pupperino.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Doges very travel, much packs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

A white wolf... 'twill be red soon enough! is my favorite line the pawns say.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

There's also a bunch of others, but I don't remember them. I think your pawn stays in the system until you start a new game, since you can only have one save file.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I should really go back and finish BBI... I don't remember if I finished the everfall either

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The whole story is pretty messed up, imo. The way you start NG+ is probably one of my favorite fights and scenes in an RPG

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I should really go back and finish BBI... I don't remember if I finished the everfall either
I really don't like Bitterblack at all, but I know some people enjoy it.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It's someone else's george probably, I started a new game of Heavily Modded Dragon's Dogma a while back with a new pawn.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really don't like Bitterblack at all, but I know some people enjoy it.

it's the best dungeon ever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

it's the best dungeon ever
I'd like it better in a different game.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I was thinking of picking this up since it's like 10 dollars on PSN right now but I'm also playing Witcher and doubt I'd get to it for another year. That's my story about Dragon's Dogma.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's a cool game, but i've never gotten very far in it. i always find the mini dragon in the woods and get sort of pissed off by it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

sector_corrector posted:

it's a cool game, but i've never gotten very far in it. i always find the mini dragon in the woods and get sort of pissed off by it.

Not pissed off enough to go train for two weeks and come back and chop it up though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I fought that dragon for 2 in game days straight the first time I found it and almost won because magick archer is busted.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I still think about Into Free to this day. I would let the intro play almost every time I started the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I like bitterblack islethe mist the open world stuff kind of sux ballz

• Locked thread