Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gene roddenbury would definitely approve of throwing some random capitalist, who got their start with their fathers african emerald mine money, a nod in the shows cannon. said i, sarcastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gene roddenberry was a a wigged out pill popper whose second series main character owned a vineyard in france

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Well his father and he are pedophiles so it fits with canon

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

gene roddenberry was a a wigged out pill popper whose second series main character owned a vineyard in france

that is so cool

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
for all of elon musk's faults, at least he's not seth mcfarlane

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

that is so cool

he was an inveterate womanizer too, who hosed pretty much his entire cast and crew, literally

but i digress, i'm not trying to canonize the man

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

for all of elon musk's faults, at least he's not seth mcfarlane

a million ways to die in a tesla

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

he was an inveterate womanizer too, who hosed pretty much his entire cast and crew, literally

but i digress, i'm not trying to canonize the man

hero

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gene roddenberry was an insane anti semite and it really hosed me up as a little kid that my favorite tv show also included the ferengi like it was nothing

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

anyway getting back on track here

quote:

Greenlight's bet against Tesla crashes fund's second-quarter returns

BOSTON (Reuters) - Billionaire hedge fund manager David Einhorn told investors on Tuesday that a sharp rally in Tesla Inc shares, which he bet against, turned into heavy second-quarter losses at his Greenlight Capital fund, and stuck by his dim outlook for the electric carmaker.

Greenlight lost 18.3 percent in the first six months of 2018, Einhorn wrote in a letter to investors seen by Reuters. Tesla shares, which rose 29 percent in the last quarter, was the fund’s “second biggest loser” during that period, he added.

Hours after sending the letter, Einhorn notified investors that the fund’s returns fell again in July. After a dip of 0.4 percent this month, the fund is down 18.6 percent for the year, an investor told Reuters.

Tesla’s Model S residual values are falling, Einhorn wrote, noting he has been frustrated by power windows and touch screen problems in his own Model S sedan and got rid of the vehicle as his lease ended.

The company’s more affordable Model 3 got modest reviews and bad publicity, which Einhorn said was “probably having a negative impact on the brand.” He said he doubted the car could be “produced profitably anytime soon, if ever” and criticized the company’s plan to rush cars to customers.

He called Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk “erratic and desperate,” after Musk said an analyst asked a “boring boneheaded question” during the company’s last quarterly earnings call.

"Tragic," Elon Musk tweeted bit.ly/2n2vveR as he responded to Einhorn's comments.

“Will send Einhorn a box of short shorts to comfort him through this difficult time,” Musk tweeted early Wednesday.

Musk regularly takes to Twitter to criticize people with opposing views and has seen a backlash from investors for his comments. Earlier this month, he apologized to British caver Vern Unsworth after making insulting comments that pushed Tesla shares down.

Einhorn, along with fellow hedge fund manager Jim Chanos, is one of the electric carmaker’s fiercest critics, accusing it of putting “dangerous products” on the road and saying it was burning through cash.

Despite Einhorn’s steady complaints, Tesla’s stock price has raced ahead, turning his own short bet into a wreck that rivals say he should have trimmed.

His own investors have complained about Einhorn’s stubbornness and criticized his unwillingness to say how much he has lost on the bet and come up with specific ideas to improve the portfolio’s long-running underperformance.

Einhorn acknowledged mistakes and said the fund’s returns over the past three years have been “far worse than we could have imagined.” He also said several investors have run out of patience and asked for their money back. A filing from the end of March showed Greenlight had assets of roughly $4 billion.

“Right now the market is telling us we are wrong, wrong, wrong about nearly everything,” he wrote. However, he added that he still liked his market position. “Looking forward from today we think this portfolio makes a lot of sense,” he said.

He said he had tried to stem the losses. “We have taken action to mitigate our problems,” Einhorn wrote, explaining that he covered most of the firm’s Netflix Inc short position between January and April at $281.46 and used more put options in the short book.

He said he exited a bet on Japanese bank Resona Holdings, sold retailer Dillard’s at a loss and covered a five-year bet against Elekta AB with a small gain.

The fund also took a new bet on Altice Europe.

oops!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hedge fund v elon? whoever loses we win

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

well its not elon

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
reminder that the market can stay stupid way longer than you can hold open a bet against it.

this tends to confuse a lot of libertarians and other people who believe in the existence of a rational free market.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Shocking that ignoring critics and not looking critically at your own brand might sink you.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Maybe don't buy the products of a company you're betting against

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have a $100 bet w/ someone that tesla will file for bankruptcy on or before dec 31, 2019

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
tesla stock is like bitcoins now, in that the price will be artificially propped up for way too long by nerds who think they're getting in on the ground floor of ~~the future~~ because hey i'm smart in computer therefore i must also be smart in everything else

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

i have a $100 bet w/ someone that tesla will file for bankruptcy on or before dec 31, 2019

tb completely h i suspect you're gonna find yourself 100 buck richer.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

President Beep posted:

tb completely h i suspect you're gonna find yourself 100 buck richer.

idk what you mean but im the one betting that they will file for bankruptcy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

yeah, i think you'll win.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bump because elon musk sucks rear end

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

he's such a piece of poo poo.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
reminder that it's actually elong musk who sucks rear end and that elon musk is Very Good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
nope

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

stabbed in an important area with a sharp object during initial assembly

the story of elon musk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i have a $500 bet with a true believer than we won't have self-driving cars (aka call a cab and it's a magic AI car that'll take you wherever) within 5 years

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i have a $500 bet with a true believer than we won't have self-driving cars (aka call a cab and it's a magic AI car that'll take you wherever) within 5 years

my friend had a very similar bet with his wife but theyre divorced now so im guessing that bet wont stand.

i got into a big argument with a coworker who works in car aftermarket stuff though, and he was saying we'd have those magic ai cars by 2020 lol.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sham bam bamina! posted:

reminder that it's actually elong musk who sucks rear end and that elon musk is Very Good

get out of yospos

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
back a few years ago when everyone was starting to get excited about self-driving tech after seeing a Google car drove slowly around a parking lot i predicted that probably some idiot was going to get a car with lane assist and adaptive cruise control and think that that equals full automation; i just never expected that idiot to be tesla motors inc lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

back a few years ago when everyone was starting to get excited about self-driving tech after seeing a Google car drove slowly around a parking lot i predicted that probably some idiot was going to get a car with lane assist and adaptive cruise control and think that that equals full automation; i just never expected that idiot to be tesla motors inc lmao

What I don't understand is how Tesla didn't manage to foresee a scenario where a care in front of them merges to avoid a stopped car, and they couldn't catch that.

Like, this happens so often in normal traffic.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

George posted:

why cant they make a good star trek

u think it would be easy but its just the rootbeer scene and in the pale moonlight

i want a star tracks set in a future i want to live in

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Teslas engineers don't own cars because they all take the private buses from San Francisco

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Teslas engineers don't own cars because they all take the private buses from San Francisco

tesla doesnt employ real engineers because being an engineer requires having a set of ethics

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

tesla doesnt employ real engineers because being an engineer requires having a set of ethics

Libertarianism is more common among Mechanical/Electrical Engineers.....so ethics might be a strong term.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Employee takes it upon himself to be trash executive officer at Tesla something he was never asked to do. Tesla management doesn't really care about his self appointed role so he later steals company trade secrets and turns them over to Business Insider for a hit piece on Tesla. Tesla fires him and sues. What exactly is his claim of defamation?

He doesn't seem malicious, naive and lacking understanding on how the world works but not malicious. That being said I doubt many employers would want an employee who takes on concerns outside of their lane and when not addressed to their satisfaction leak confidential information to third parties. That is generally speaking grounds for getting fired in most companies at least in the US. Generally speaking companies hire employees to do a job not take it upon themselves to create self appointed duties.

As for the lawyers claim that Tesla should have internally investigated a threat before contacting the Police that is just laughable. If Tesla had done that and someone had shot up the Tesla factory they would be sued for not contacting the Police. The purpose of the police is to investigate threats legitimate or otherwise.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fart simpson posted:

Come on man, stop small timing your coworker and make 830% return on your money in the options market:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Come on man, stop small timing your coworker and make 830% return on your money in the options market:

there was a guy in the AI ev thread who went all hardcore "oh yeah? if tesla's so bad why don't you short them?" for like ten pages every time someone brought up the model 3 graveyards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Employee takes it upon himself to be trash executive officer at Tesla something he was never asked to do. Tesla management doesn't really care about his self appointed role so he later steals company trade secrets and turns them over to Business Insider for a hit piece on Tesla. Tesla fires him and sues. What exactly is his claim of defamation?

He doesn't seem malicious, naive and lacking understanding on how the world works but not malicious. That being said I doubt many employers would want an employee who takes on concerns outside of their lane and when not addressed to their satisfaction leak confidential information to third parties. That is generally speaking grounds for getting fired in most companies at least in the US. Generally speaking companies hire employees to do a job not take it upon themselves to create self appointed duties.

As for the lawyers claim that Tesla should have internally investigated a threat before contacting the Police that is just laughable. If Tesla had done that and someone had shot up the Tesla factory they would be sued for not contacting the Police. The purpose of the police is to investigate threats legitimate or otherwise.

source your ars quotes pls k thnx