Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Prop Wash posted:

I've found Marin to be pretty powerful at 1v1, as well as fairly decent for crowd control. She doesn't have great range and tends to take a lot of damage but that C5 is a great move. Still not top-tier but fun to use and about as good as water gets.

King Daphnes is better at 1v1ing due to his gimmick allowing for comboability with his moves. Marin was able to nearly match him in the previous versions, but then her C3 was indirectly nerfed in the Switch version which noticeably limits her options because C3 was a pretty useful, versatile tool in her kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Marin is great because her C1 is like a shotgun.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I actually like Tetra in terms of overall playstyle for a water element. Lana's stick isn't terrible as long as you WPG enemies.

I want to like Impa since swinging around a giant sword owns. It just... doesn't work.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

There's a reason why almost everyone who plays Impa ends up using her Naginata weapon over the Giant Blade.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I feel like the damage values for all water characters were decided under the strict assumption that every hit would proc water, and the player would allow the proc to deal the max damage over time before hitting again. It makes the water procs feel both mandatory and pointless.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I unironically love the great fairy weapon.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I guess I'm just not far enough in Adventure mode for damage output and combo efficiency to really matter because I just kinda do whatever, have a great time and manage to get the A ranks 95% of the time with my characters, no matter who I'm using. And no one's particularly high level either, lowest are mid-40s, Link is at 89 or something and he's the highest by far. But I really haven't been affected by all this talk of certain characters being bad at clearing maps. The most noticeable is when someone isn't as great at depleting Boss WPGs than others but I still manage.

Maybe I'll change my tone when I start the Twilight and Termina Maps, since I'm still making progress through Master Quest to get L3 weapons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm more or less in the same boat but still struggle with certain characters like Ruto, Volga, and the aforementioned water Impa.

Edit: oh, and Fi. loving Fi.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I don't have trouble with anyone due to my previously posted god fairy :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

seiferguy posted:

I'm more or less in the same boat but still struggle with certain characters like Ruto, Volga, and the aforementioned water Impa.

Edit: oh, and Fi. loving Fi.

Ruto’s default combo shreds giant boss WPG’s, it also does a ton of damage against officers/generals even through blocks. Add the gold digging mitt badge for extra effectiveness. Her C3 is pretty good for closing gaps, C6 is great for clearing out large groups.

Volga owns, his C3 also shreds giant boss WPG’s if you dodge cancel out of it so you can unleash several right in a row. C2 is great for Officers/Generals. C4 is amazing for clearing out crowds. His regular combo is also really amazing all around.

Fi is bad. Her C5(or is it 6? The one with the flashing rainbow colors and spinning blade) is really good, in fact it’s her only good move so keep her bar filled with C1 and spam C5(?) over and over.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Ruto’s default combo shreds giant boss WPG’s, it also does a ton of damage against officers/generals even through blocks. Add the gold digging mitt badge for extra effectiveness. Her C3 is pretty good for closing gaps, C6 is great for clearing out large groups.

Volga owns, his C3 also shreds giant boss WPG’s if you dodge cancel out of it so you can unleash several right in a row. C2 is great for Officers/Generals. C4 is amazing for clearing out crowds. His regular combo is also really amazing all around.

Fi is bad. Her C5(or is it 6? The one with the flashing rainbow colors and spinning blade) is really good, in fact it’s her only good move so keep her bar filled with C1 and spam C5(?) over and over.

It's C6.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay then, Fi’s C6 is really good. Use that.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

PureRok posted:

I unironically love the great fairy weapon.

It's pretty good, not to mention that you kinda forget that you're actually playing as Link

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Son of a bitch, I never thought about dodge canceling Volga's C3. That's a great idea.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I find it so hard to visualise what you all mean when you're saying C3. Like I get it's XXY or even XXXY but I just haven't got a clue what move that actually is for any character, I just do it randomly and still manage fine.

It does make me wonder sometimes how the game decides what weapons drop. Even if I use Yuga constantly I've still only had two drops of his level 2 weapon and yet I've got buckets of the Tetra one. Beyond the level of the stage and the Stars+ and etc how does it decide WHO weapons drop for?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

First weapon is type of weapon you're using (though using the tier 3 weapon doesn't mean you'll get a tier 3) for everything except the master sword. Every other weapon is random. The combo system is great because it's fairly consistent across characters, so it helps you start off with a new character. Like, C1 is almost always a launch move.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

mastajake posted:

First weapon is type of weapon you're using (though using the tier 3 weapon doesn't mean you'll get a tier 3) for everything except the master sword. Every other weapon is random. The combo system is great because it's fairly consistent across characters, so it helps you start off with a new character. Like, C1 is almost always a launch move.

C2, but true

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man wouldn’t it be nice if we had more dlc characters or weapons
Replace epona with the master cycle zero

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

mastajake posted:

I guess it's "the weapon the main character" is using then. Since I always play two player and we RARELY get the weapons for whoever I'm playing as.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, player two doesn't count toward the guaranteed weapon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mastajake posted:

Yeah, player two doesn't count toward the guaranteed weapon.

Their kills count toward the A rank, right?

Sidenote I'm ripping my hair out at "don't get hit" quests. They're impossible to do undocked.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Folt The Bolt posted:

King Daphnes is better at 1v1ing due to his gimmick allowing for comboability with his moves. Marin was able to nearly match him in the previous versions, but then her C3 was indirectly nerfed in the Switch version which noticeably limits her options because C3 was a pretty useful, versatile tool in her kit.

What's this indirect nerf?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

What's this indirect nerf?

Much like some of Zant and Ghirahim's moves in this version, C3 now applies too much knockback with her hits, which results in enemies getting knocked too far away by the move. This results in a general loss in comboability, terms of options, and damage output.

Taear posted:

I find it so hard to visualise what you all mean when you're saying C3. Like I get it's XXY or even XXXY but I just haven't got a clue what move that actually is for any character, I just do it randomly and still manage fine.

It does make me wonder sometimes how the game decides what weapons drop. Even if I use Yuga constantly I've still only had two drops of his level 2 weapon and yet I've got buckets of the Tetra one. Beyond the level of the stage and the Stars+ and etc how does it decide WHO weapons drop for?

mastajake posted:

Mezzanine posted:

C2, but true

Basically the latter two posts. Moves tend to always have a defined function in a character moveset. Outliers exist but are few and far between, and that makes them stand out more which makes them more imprinted in my memory which makes it easier to remember a character's individual moves and what to use them for. In general:

C1 (X): Basically the character's special move. Might be part of a character's gimmick or a gimmick enabler too since the move could be a chargeable attack, either in the more traditional way or in a more "special" way, or provides a buff or otherwise a change to your character.

C2 (YX): Will almost always be your launcher. A quick move that launches enemies into the air, so combos usually start with these. Almost never a crowdclearer.

C3 (YYX): Your earliest crowdclearer, typically focused as a small frontal or surrounding AoE... or your earliest projectile attack. Being both of these things is not out of the question. For more melee-focused characters, this tends to be a move that moves the character forward as they attack. In that case, it's typically a crowdclearer, but may have launcher properties as well. Can be a combo extender.

C4 (YYYX): Generally a more powerful AoE move that clears out enemies in larger mass. If C3 is a frontal AoE, this move typically becomes your earliest surrounding AoE and vice versa. Like it's earlier counterpart, it could be your character's combo extender. On characters with a lower C# amount, this move may be more like a C5 instead.

C5 (YYYYX): A powerful AoE clearer, typically frontal, is the general usage for this move. Potential combo finisher depending on how powerful it is and how fast the character's moveset is. On characters with lower C#s, this move will be the C6 in terms of function.

C6 (YYYYYX): Generally the most damaging move in a character's disposal, it could be a crowdclearer with a large AoE effect or something more focused. Alongside C1, these moves tend to feel the most unique of all the character/weapon's moves.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Basically the latter two posts. Moves tend to always have a defined function in a character moveset. Outliers exist but are few and far between, and that makes them stand out more which makes them more imprinted in my memory which makes it easier to remember a character's individual moves and what to use them for. In general:

You're misunderstanding - I know what it means but I can't visualise it. So "Volga's C3" is meaningless to me but if you said "When you turn into a dragon" or "When you breathe fire" I go "Oooh it's that one".
Even Yuga, who I play with loads I couldn't tell you how many times I press Y before he does his picture on the floor attack or shoots the lightning bar.

seiferguy posted:

Their kills count toward the A rank, right?

Yea, our kills are added up. God it'd be a total waste of time even having two player if it didn't since it actively reduces the amount of mobs present in levels.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I wish the AI P2 also added to kills.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So I just found an amazing way to beat The Imprisoned much faster. Granted you need to be in a mission where you can switch between warriors (the "beat the giant bosses in time" missions apply here). Basically you need to have a warrior on the other side of the map hanging out with another boss(es).

After you knock him down and do damage, he will start doing his little worm chase. Just switch to the other warrior on the other side of the map for a second and switch back. He will be standing and doing his normal stomps - he passes through the ground shockwave phase too. It makes it so much faster and less annoying.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Taear posted:

You're misunderstanding - I know what it means but I can't visualise it. So "Volga's C3" is meaningless to me but if you said "When you turn into a dragon" or "When you breathe fire" I go "Oooh it's that one".
Even Yuga, who I play with loads I couldn't tell you how many times I press Y before he does his picture on the floor attack or shoots the lightning bar.

Well, Volga's C3 is his shockwaves through the ground attack, which is pretty in-line with how C3s work since it's his earliest projectile attack. His C4 or his firebreath also conforms easily to your usual C4 attack, though because Volga only has five C#s, his C4 also take on qualities that you'd find on a C5, with his C5 (dragon bomb) being more like a C6 in terms of function.

Yuga is kind of interesting since his moveset mixes a bit in terms of focusing on projectiles or melee. His C3 (floor picture) is more reminiscent of the C3s that move your character while his C4 (the lightning bar) is unmistakably more focused as a projectile. It might have to do with how he is a C5 character that does not have extendable charges since characters with that kind of moveset in HW tend to operate under somewhat unique rules; in Yuga's case, it's that he's able to place magic circle traps after any C# and his regular string already functions as a rather efficient crowdclearer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm so close to finally getting all the weapons. I don't know why I still want to do this, but I do.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Because the game is fun to play?

Also, Medli has a meter that fills when you do her C6, what does it do? I can’t figure it out.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Because the game is fun to play?

Also, Medli has a meter that fills when you do her C6, what does it do? I can’t figure it out.

It lets her do a dash in the air, which resets her air combo. This lets her air combo last for days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm so addicted to this game and even characters / weapons I struggled with earlier I'm coming around to. Link's L3 gauntlets are loving chain chomps! I'm also starting to realize how to trigger WPGs in enemy officers easier. It's all coming together.

I wrapped up the first 3 maps and am at the wind waker master quest which is... pretty easy? No real complaints.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I thought I had them all but there's still a few in the sealed-off area of the Grand Travels map. No more for today.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Toon Zelda is so fun to play and her voice is so cute I love it very much.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mezzanine posted:

Toon Zelda is so fun to play and her voice is so cute I love it very much.

I would love to unlock her, but the level where she at needs a item to unlock and I can't get to it due to it having a really lovely map where you must use regular Zelda on it. And even through she level 60, one hit from any unique enemy does about eight hearts of damage.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
If that's one of those "All attacks kill you instantly!" maps, yeah they suck. I had to cheese the last one I did by literally spamming Master Sword beams non-stop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

I would love to unlock her, but the level where she at needs a item to unlock and I can't get to it due to it having a really lovely map where you must use regular Zelda on it. And even through she level 60, one hit from any unique enemy does about eight hearts of damage.

Don't go that way. Head south instead.

I made the same mistake and unlocked her like 30 hours later than I should have.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Mezzanine posted:

If that's one of those "All attacks kill you instantly!" maps, yeah they suck. I had to cheese the last one I did by literally spamming Master Sword beams non-stop.

my dudes, when faced with an all attacks are devastating map just shoot them with the bow

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't think it's an "all attacks are devastating" map, I think it's just a regular one with strong enemies. You can definitely get Toon Zelda now though, I think I got to her when my own Zelda wasn't much higher than Lv 30 or 40. Just have to be careful about dodging and stuff.

Also I love playing the "all attacks are devastating" maps (not the "don't get hit" ones) normally without spamming bow for every enemy because it's just really satisfying to destroy everything in one hit. They're also great maps for grinding out skill unlocks. If you find a map with 30 captains, you can get ~2000 KOs relatively quickly if you sit there and beat up the little enemies for a while.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Don't get hit maps are utter hell for me. Took me forever to beat the one in the master quest one that blocked Ruto's L3 weapon, and I still haven't beat the one to lock the L3 spinner.

The all attacks are devastating maps are fun though. Even if I lose, it's only a minute lost.

Is the Termina map as bad as I think it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I got the first master sword skill unlocked with most characters between lv40-60 except Link who is lv100 lol

You can seriously make a beeline for most of the character/weapon unlocks with minimal grinding or detours. I did about 20-25% of the Koholint, Grand Travels & Lorule maps. I even got a couple lv4+ weapons.