Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I hope it’s so bad people go back and realize how great TLJ is

But people are already realizing it's garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I hope it’s so bad people go back and realize how great TLJ is

Contrarianism dictates that people will suddenly like TLJ after IX comes out or when then next trilogy begins.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I anxiously await the scene when force ghost Luke Skywalker talks to his sister, who’s inexplicably standing by the craft service table, toasting an everything bagel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It turns out the reused footage is actually from The Blues Brothers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

I anxiously await the scene when force ghost Luke Skywalker talks to his sister, who’s inexplicably standing by the craft service table, toasting an everything bagel.

It's great that ST Leia is just Carrie Fisher being herself

Not nearly enough swearing, but that's what the comics are for

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Do the comics use the old EU swear words like "stang"?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Kingtheninja posted:

Do the comics use the old EU swear words like "stang"?

Does any of the new EU still call coffee "caf"?

I've always hated that one. Like, you use the words "ship" and "building". You can have the word "coffee", too.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

thrawn527 posted:

I've always hated that one. Like, you use the words "ship" and "building". You can have the word "coffee", too.

Troy Denning, one of the shittiest EU authors, gave us "hamogony" wood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Timothy Zahn wrote about Pellaeon checking the time on his watch, but after that anytime someone had to check the time, they always referred to their "chrono".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Remember when Luke had hot chocolate in the Thrawn Trilogy and everyone lost their poo poo?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vinylshadow posted:

Remember when Luke had hot chocolate in the Thrawn Trilogy and everyone lost their poo poo?

No, do explain.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

No, do explain.

Apparently people didn't like seeing real-world things in the Star Wars universe, hence why the writers then came up with new names for everything to sneak them in anyway

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And yet they left in nice crispy bacon.

The one that always seemed most pointless to me was how spaceships didn't have seatbelts - they had "crash-webbing".

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Most of my experience is with the video games, are the Star Wars (non-movie) books the kind of sci-fi where characters say random made-up words instead of saying gently caress or whatever?

e: Holy poo poo at "Bacon was a type of food[1]"

wookieepedia posted:

A 2013 video game, Star Wars: Tiny Death Star included an item called the Krayt bacon burger, but did not provide an explicit connection to the pre-existing bacon.[5]

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 1, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost Blue posted:

Most of my experience is with the video games, are the Star Wars (non-movie) books the kind of sci-fi where characters say random made-up words instead of saying gently caress or whatever?

Kriff!

Stang!

Kark on you!

(And probably others I've forgotten.)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

Yes they definitely still use 'caf.' Its been used in a couple of books I remember. Aftermath, for sure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Do I recall correctly that the bathroom was called the 'fresher short for refresher

one place to poo poo on the falcon

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Nobody use the fresher, it smells like someone took a humungous dwang in there!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Liberal Idiot posted:

Nobody use the fresher, it smells like someone took a humungous dwang in there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9yrC0Izy8

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kriff!

Stang!

Kark on you!

(And probably others I've forgotten.)

I remember Fierfek because that's the console command for "More Dakka" in Republic Commando

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

thrawn527 posted:

'Caf' should not be confused with 'vine-coffee' or 'coffeine'. The old EU had multiple alternate terms for coffee.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vinylshadow posted:

Apparently people didn't like seeing real-world things in the Star Wars universe, hence why the writers then came up with new names for everything to sneak them in anyway

That's hilarious but more sad than anything.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's hilarious but more sad than anything.

Zahn dryly noted that nobody was upset with names like the Millennium Falcon or lightsabers
It's always up to chance exactly what would jolt people out of their suspension of disbelief

"Anyway, why would anyone want to live in that Galaxy Far Far Away without chocolate? Inconceivable." - Zahn, 2011

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Zahn also wanted Han and Leia's children to be called Jason Solo and Jane Solo but was told to make them more Star Warsy or something, which is how they ended up as Jacen and Jaina.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Really stupid considering the main character of the series has the biblical name of Luke.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I was a dumb idiot child and called him Jay-seen. That at least sounds a little bit more starwarsy

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

I was a dumb idiot child and called him Jay-seen. That at least sounds a little bit more starwarsy

I knew a kid who insisted it was Jake'n. And honestly since then there are probably a lot of Jaykynn's running around

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Mark Hamill has a beard again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zbrndS1Deg

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Growing a beard's the easiest thing in the world and wouldn't necessarily indicate anything if we didn't already know he's in the next movie

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Growing a beard's the easiest thing in the world and wouldn't necessarily indicate anything if we didn't already know he's in the next movie

Hey, genius, there was discussion about it only a few pages back. Try to keep up.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Bigger Bearded Luke.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is anyone really wondering if he’s going to be in episode 9?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

no but i don't really wonder anything about episode 9 at this point

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Mameluke posted:

Ideal Star Wars viewing order:

II
III until I get bored, I mean I like the prequels but Padme is criminally underused

Wait 3 months

V
Auralnauts' The Last Laser Master

Ideal Star Wars viewing order:

OT in order

KotOR

Auralnauts videos in release order

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not now that there’s been a casting announcement, no. But people were wondering before that.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018
The more movies they make, the better the chance we get one that doesn't suck.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jerk irl posted:

A movie every month, about every incidental character

Stormtrooper That Hits His Head On The Doorframe: A Star Wars Story

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Make a movie about someone actually cool like Sebulba or the jawas

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

jerk irl posted:

You forget that with every movie they use up more of the limited supply of good-movieite. And that was pretty much tapped out by Rogue One. Soon we'll have depleted our strategic reserves and be at the mercy of our enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

galagazombie posted:

You forget that with every movie they use up more of the limited supply of good-movieite. And that was pretty much tapped out by Rogue One. Soon we'll have depleted our strategic reserves and be at the mercy of our enemies.

THis is a metaphor for how fewer and fewer good directors/writers want to be involved in Star Wars