Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Nats also DFA'd Shawn Kelley today cause of his tantrum on the mound yesterday.

https://twitter.com/jorgecastillo/status/1024670571211251713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
The Nats sound like they're into the ooh rah team building/play the game the right way bullshit a bit too much

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Nats aren’t real

They’re the expos

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kirios posted:

Unless Miguel Andujar suddenly learns how to become an ace pitcher while also being a good hitter then there is only one clear answer to RoY.

Yeah, Gleyber Torres

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The Nats sound like they're into the ooh rah team building/play the game the right way bullshit a bit too much

How quickly we forget Papelbon choking Harper because Harper didn't run out a routine fly ball hard enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Who's the frontrunner for NL RotY? Is it a goddamn Dodger again? Please don't let it be a goddamn Dodger again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Who's the frontrunner for NL RotY? Is it a goddamn Dodger again? Please don't let it be a goddamn Dodger again.

Probably Soto

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

GalacticAcid posted:

The Nats aren’t real

They’re the expos

The expos won an NLDS one time

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GalacticAcid posted:

The Nats aren’t real

They’re the expos

N: I was in Chicago last week, and I saw soooooo many Expos hats out and about in the city.

V: Strange, but cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ugueth Urtain Urbina Villarreal played for the Xpos and then went to prison for attempted murder

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

How quickly we forget Papelbon choking Harper because Harper didn't run out a routine fly ball hard enough.

Everyone hated Papelbon and he was run out of town for that and never played again? Also Kelley didn't get DFA'd just because of one mound tantrum, he got DFA'd because he's allowed nearly 3 HR/9 over the past two seasons.

Edit: NLRotY is definitely Soto.

ego symphonic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 1, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Devo posted:

The expos won an NLDS one time

and how many times have the Nats won one :smuggo:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can make the travel thread again if there's actual interest in it. i've got stuff to talk about from my last trip to Yankee Stadium that could be of interest to people coming to New York

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm thinking him or Yelich. Both are doing drat good.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

GalacticAcid posted:

and how many times have the Nats won one :smuggo:

:thejoke:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GalacticAcid posted:

The Nats aren’t real

They’re the expos

The Indecent Expos

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

:doh:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The Indecent Expos

I’ll allow it.

Is Jonah Keri’s book on the expos worth the read?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
NL MVP dimensions:

WAR: Arenado leads (4.4) but he's in Coors so won't win, Carpenter in second (4.3) but the Cardinals look like they'll finish at .500 so he's facing an uphill battle, then Freeman (4.0, very possible), Javy (3.9, if he stays hot and the Cubs win the division he has a very strong narrative of putting the team on his back), and then Realmuto (Marlins, not happening) and Cain (see Javy if the Brewers win the division) tied for 5th at 3.6

Dingers: Arenado (28, again see Coors) Carpenter (26, again see .500 team) Aguilar (25 :eyepop:) Harper (25, but his average is too low and the Nats doing too badly for the BBWAA to give him votes) Eugenio Suarez (24, pretty quietly having an MVP caliber year but will get no votes because the Reds) for your top 5.

RBI's (:lol: but the BBWAA cares, so...): Javy (82 :eyepop:) Suarez (81 seriously this guy is insane this year) Arenado (79, COORS) Aguilar (74, he's good y'all) Hoskins (70, would actually be a lot higher in the WAR table if his defense numbers weren't complete dogshit) top 5.

AVG (:lol:, see RBI's): Yelich (.321, hot drat son) Markakis (.319, also working basically identical K/BB%'s) Corey Dickerson (.318 :wtc:) Gennett (.316, REDS), Freeman (.316, he's good)

SB's (I'm running out of dimensions): Trea Turner (26, other numbers are pretty meh though) Marte (25, has also been worth 3 WAR, weren't the Pirates supposed to be bad?) Inciarte (23 but he's doing nothing else really) Hamilton (22 which is pathetic for Billy) Javy (run free my son) and Cain (seriously he's pretty darn good) tied at 19.

Barring somebody breaking out in a big way or a huge regression, Arenado, Carpenter, Javy, Cain, Yelich, Suarez, Freeman, and maybe Aguilar all get votes but I don't know if anybody is super ahead of the pack. I'm also leaving out pitchers so Scherzer, deGrom, and Nola probably get some votes as well although I doubt any of them win MVP.

e. I'll also idly mention that the NL is hilariously dogshit compared to the AL this year, even more so than usual.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 1, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Sydin posted:

AVG Corey Dickerson (.318 :wtc:)

his OPS is .869 so it's not just the :corsair: stat showing good performance

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Sydin posted:

NL MVP dimensions:

Fun fact, Aaron Nola leads the NL in WAR according to BB-ref, so he should get the MVP.

Also a Cy Young award.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sydin posted:

NL MVP dimensions:

WAR: Arenado leads (4.4) but he's in Coors so won't win, Carpenter in second (4.3) but the Cardinals look like they'll finish at .500 so he's facing an uphill battle, then Freeman (4.0, very possible), Javy (3.9, if he stays hot and the Cubs win the division he has a very strong narrative of putting the team on his back), and then Realmuto (Marlins, not happening) and Cain (see Javy if the Brewers win the division) tied for 5th at 3.6

Dingers: Arenado (28, again see Coors) Carpenter (26, again see .500 team) Aguilar (25 :eyepop:) Harper (25, but his average is too low and the Nats doing too badly for the BBWAA to give him votes) Eugenio Suarez (24, pretty quietly having an MVP caliber year but will get no votes because the Reds) for your top 5.

RBI's (:lol: but the BBWAA cares, so...): Javy (82 :eyepop:) Suarez (81 seriously this guy is insane this year) Arenado (79, COORS) Aguilar (74, he's good y'all) Hoskins (70, would actually be a lot higher in the WAR table if his defense numbers weren't complete dogshit) top 5.

AVG (:lol:, see RBI's): Yelich (.321, hot drat son) Markakis (.319, also working basically identical K/BB%'s) Corey Dickerson (.318 :wtc:) Gennett (.316, REDS), Freeman (.316, he's good)

SB's (I'm running out of dimensions): Trea Turner (26, other numbers are pretty meh though) Marte (25, has also been worth 3 WAR, weren't the Pirates supposed to be bad?) Inciarte (23 but he's doing nothing else really) Hamilton (22 which is pathetic for Billy) Javy (run free my son) and Cain (seriously he's pretty darn good) tied at 19.

Barring somebody breaking out in a big way or a huge regression, Arenado, Carpenter, Javy, Cain, Yelich, Suarez, Freeman, and maybe Aguilar all get votes but I don't know if anybody is super ahead of the pack. I'm also leaving out pitchers so Scherzer, deGrom, and Nola probably get some votes as well although I doubt any of them win MVP.

e. I'll also idly mention that the NL is hilariously dogshit compared to the AL this year, even more so than usual.

I dunno, in the absence of an obvious alternative I absolutely think that Arenado could win the MVP if he keeps this up. The Coors field thing is big disadvantage in the voting to be sure, but unless there's some other consensus front runner it might not be enough to disqualify him. Plus his defensive value is well understood at this point and the altitude can't distort that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ego symphonic posted:

I dunno, in the absence of an obvious alternative I absolutely think that Arenado could win the MVP if he keeps this up. The Coors field thing is big disadvantage in the voting to be sure, but unless there's some other consensus front runner it might not be enough to disqualify him. Plus his defensive value is well understood at this point and the altitude can't distort that.

He's on pace for the best year of his career so he'll definitely get votes, and if the Rockies make it to the post season he may have a shot. But he's been held down like crazy by the "but coors" argument so far. If the Cardinals weren't 7.5 games out I'd probably give the early nod to Carpenter, who has absolutely turned it around from his rocky beginning and has been a goddamn beast.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I was listening to a radio broadcast for the first part of the Cards/Rockies game and before Carpenter's first AB to lead off the bottom of the inning, the crew was talking about an interview with Matt where he said something to the effect of "It just feels like right now, with the way things are going and how well I'm reading the ball, if a pitcher makes a mistake it's something I'm going to punish." And probably 30 seconds later "A hanging breaking ball from Gray and Carpenter sails that one into the Cardinals bullpen". It's pretty unreal.

The Rockies will absolutely end up the better team when it's all said and done so I give the edge to Arenado.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It also sucks Carpenter was hitting .140 for one full month+. Reminder, since May 16th: 340/432/711

All for loving nothing :D

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Your ".500 finish" argument is harder to justify when Mike Trout is going to win the AL MVP.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Some Numbers posted:

Your ".500 finish" argument is harder to justify when Mike Trout is going to win the AL MVP.

he's absolutely going to lose it to like mookie or jose ramirez

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Some Numbers posted:

In the years Trout won it was because he was so far and away above the rest of the field that they had to give it to him even though the Angels were dogshit. Even then, there were a couple years he was far and away the best and they gave it to somebody else on a good team anyway. He's also not a lock for MVP this year as he's getting stiff competition from Jose Ramirez (and to a lesser extent, Mookie).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the mets are going to be so bad for so long, good christ

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Lumpy posted:

N: I was in Chicago last week, and I saw soooooo many Expos hats out and about in the city.

I wish MLB would pick up on this and make a Hubie Brooks or Tim Wallach shirt available to me.

edit: Dennis Martinez

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Abel Wingnut posted:

the mets are going to be so bad for so long, good christ

Usually, the hallmark of a good team is how involved are the owners. There's a delicate balance they have to tread. Too involved and you have the Mets (see also: Marlins). Not involved enough and you get poo poo like the Brewers up to a couple seasons ago with the inability to let Melvin go.

There's a couple better examples for the second one in the NHL. The Canadiens have a 100% hands off owner and the team is suffering because the GM is a tire fire. The money is still flowing so what does the owner care?

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2018

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Sydin posted:

He's on pace for the best year of his career so he'll definitely get votes, and if the Rockies make it to the post season he may have a shot. But he's been held down like crazy by the "but coors" argument so far. If the Cardinals weren't 7.5 games out I'd probably give the early nod to Carpenter, who has absolutely turned it around from his rocky beginning and has been a goddamn beast.

Yeah... I'm having second thoughts about Arenado now after saying that. Look at these frickin' splits. Are we sure that the park adjustment on wRC+ is weighted properly? Hoo boy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

iospace posted:

Usually, the hallmark of a good team is how involved are the owners. There's a delicate balance they have to tread. Too involved and you have the Mets (see also: Marlins). Not involved enough and you get poo poo like the Brewers up to a couple seasons ago with the inability to let Melvin go.

There's a couple better examples for the second one in the NHL. The Canadiens have a 100% hands off owner and the team is suffering because the GM is a tire fire. The money is still flowing so what does the owner care?

James Dolan can gently caress off and die already

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

iospace posted:

Lol if you think Attansio wasn't the driving force in not rebuilding and the lovely SP signings.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol sometimes I wonder if 93.7 The Fan radio host Chris Mueller is a goon

https://twitter.com/ChrisMuellerPGH/status/1024740112071053312

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Am I a homer for thinking Matt Chapman deserves way more attention

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ego symphonic posted:

Yeah... I'm having second thoughts about Arenado now after saying that. Look at these frickin' splits. Are we sure that the park adjustment on wRC+ is weighted properly? Hoo boy.

Everyone is split like this, but Arenado has an .840 OPS away from home and is an elite glove, probably the best there is in the NL. He's *probably* been the best all around baseball player in the NL the last 3 seasons. He's really, really good, whether Coors inflates his stats or not.

Also not related to this, but, we need to start saying "but Fenway" for Red Sox players :D

Hand Row posted:

Lol if you think Attansio wasn't the driving force in not rebuilding and the lovely SP signings.

I agree with you here. Attanasio was totally the end decision maker on what happened with this team. His want/need to keep spending on second and third rate pitchers in order to "contend" was really bad.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 1, 2018

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dutchy posted:

Not at all. Dudes having a great year and apparently a god in the field.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Arenado and Chapman are beasts.

I like them both. Arenado in particular gets me to turn on Rockies games fairly often, the dismissive "coors" takes blind people to how excellent he is imo.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Reminder that Arenado and Chapman were HS teammates. I can't imagine a ball ever got through the left side (Chapman was actually his backup but it's fun to imagine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dutchy posted:

Chapman is head and shoulders the best defensive 3B in the league, he makes plays that should be impossible

• Locked thread