Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

whatever tyler austin sucks adam warren sucks and lance lynn sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Warren was having a very good year.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Giving up Austin doesn't break my heart but I wish they could have kept Warren in addition to bringing Lynn on. Having two guys who can spot start and go long would have been nice especially heading into August and September.

The upside is Warren is a double agent and will suck with the Mariners.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I'm texting with my dad now. With Cueto done for the next year, does Bumgarner become an option? He's cheap (7/46 expiring next year but with a team option) and turns 29 in a couple days. Could they give up Sheffield+ and land him if the Giants are giving up, or am I high off hot stove fumes?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Monkey Wrangler posted:

I'm texting with my dad now. With Cueto done for the next year, does Bumgarner become an option? He's cheap (7/46 expiring next year but with a team option) and turns 29 in a couple days. Could they give up Sheffield+ and land him if the Giants are giving up, or am I high off hot stove fumes?

Jeff Passan said they would never trade him under any circumstances.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Monkey Wrangler posted:

I believe they’ve said that they are absolutely not trading Bumgarner, even as recently as today. I would definitely have given up a bunch of prospects for him, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

ADAM WARREN DOES NOT SUCK YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Adam Warren is good and that trade makes me want to murder, even with full knowledge that they magically made AJ Cole good and he can do the job just as well, and it frees up money for another trade. And Warren sucks away from the Yankees, and they'll get him back after the season for cheap.

Lynn could be better in a relief role but I don't see the point unless it's CC insurance. I kind of like Austin, but dudes who can't hit lefties or play defense are not in demand. Voit is garbage offensively, I'd rather have Austin.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I would rather give Domingo Acevedo, Justice Sheffield or Chance Adams the innings they are giving Lynn. He just isn't good.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Adam Warren is good and that trade makes me want to murder, even with full knowledge that they magically made AJ Cole good and he can do the job just as well, and it frees up money for another trade. And Warren sucks away from the Yankees, and they'll get him back after the season for cheap.

Lynn could be better in a relief role but I don't see the point unless it's CC insurance. I kind of like Austin, but dudes who can't hit lefties or play defense are not in demand. Voit is garbage offensively, I'd rather have Austin.

It’s not like they got nothing for Warren. They maxed out their international budget, and Rosenthal has quoted scouts saying that they basically turn that money into top prospects that they can’t get in the draft. Isn’t it something like 60-70% of their top 30 prospect list from IFA?

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1024086799692562433?s=20
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1024093118247911424?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wonder what it would take to get Scherzer... Probably Gleyber.

Boston is loving tiresome.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 31, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

It’s not like they got nothing for Warren. They maxed out their international budget, and Rosenthal has quoted scouts saying that they basically turn that money into top prospects that they can’t get in the draft. Isn’t it something like 60-70% of their top 30 prospect list from IFA?

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1024086799692562433?s=20
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1024093118247911424?s=20

Given how well the Yankees do year-over-year, IFA is a better way for them to get top prospects than the draft, so yeah.

But still, trading a guy off the 25-man just for money (especially a dude who's been good and fills a role that will now be filled by AJ Cole and Lance Lynn) while you're trying to win the division doesn't sit right with me.

EDIT: I have no issues with dealing Austin, as much as I did enjoy him blasting LHP, but the net effect for the team is replacing Warren with Lynn so that's my shorthanded reaction.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 31, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They traded Warren who was contributing on a team in a pennant race for a few 16 year olds and are going to try to replace him with a guy who sucks in Lynn. It still makes no sense.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
AJ Cole is younger and has a way higher cieling than Warrren, and has been pitching better. You don't need another right handed mid-long reliever when you have Cole, and Holder, and now Lynn. He was double redundant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

AJ Cole is younger and has a way higher cieling than Warrren, and has been pitching better. You don't need another right handed mid-long reliever when you have Cole, and Holder, and now Lynn. He was double redundant.

They didn't need Lynn was the point.

Tanaka has nothing tonight and is pitching a shutout: "The Orioles"

I also <3 Andujar.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 1, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sonny should be in AAA with the Orioles he can't get out. What a joke.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
What do we have to do to fix grey?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Sonny should be in AAA with the Orioles he can't get out. What a joke.

Lynn is warming up now because Gray is so bad. If he pitches today, that means we get to see Cessa against the Red Sox on Saturday if Happ is still too sick to play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Lynn is warming up now because Gray is so bad. If he pitches today, that means we get to see Cessa against the Red Sox on Saturday if Happ is still too sick to play.

Was just thinking that. It's going to be ugly. Not like Lynn vs Boston wouldn't be ugly too.

They probably have already lost the division in games vs Baltimore and Tampa. They should be ashamed of themselves. Starting Shane Robinson in pennant race games is also a loving disgrace.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 1, 2018

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

What do we have to do to fix grey?

Fangraphs has made the case a couple times this year that Gray's problems might be related to a dramatic drop in fastball usage, which as an A's fan that was used to him throwing like 60% fastballs I find pretty compelling

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dutchy posted:

Fangraphs has made the case a couple times this year that Gray's problems might be related to a dramatic drop in fastball usage, which as an A's fan that was used to him throwing like 60% fastballs I find pretty compelling

While I understand their arguments for this, most of his problems have stemmed from a total lack of FB command, so I'm not sure if throwing more of them will help so much.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

While I understand their arguments for this, most of his problems have stemmed from a total lack of FB command, so I'm not sure if throwing more of them will help so much.

Gray's problems are thinking too much and thinking too much. When he goes slow, he is terrible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lumpy posted:

Gray's problems are thinking too much and thinking too much. When he goes slow, he is terrible.

Yeah, the issues are obvious as hell. The solutions are much harder to formulate.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah. I think I remember someone (can't remember if it was Fangraphs or someone on Twitter or whatever) making the argument that not throwing his fastball has possibly hurt his feel for the pitch, which is plausible but a really impossible to prove chicken-and-egg theory. And it's not unprecedented for him to just lose his straight stuff, that's what happened during his no good very bad 2016.

so i dunno. I just want him to get better because I always loved Sonny.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Meanwhile while Gray sucks and all, this "great" lineup has 1 run in 6 innings against a pitcher who came in to the game with an ERA over 6 and who probably has been the worst starter in AL this season. It's a teamwide complacence.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dutchy posted:

Yeah. I think I remember someone (can't remember if it was Fangraphs or someone on Twitter or whatever) making the argument that not throwing his fastball has possibly hurt his feel for the pitch, which is plausible but a really impossible to prove chicken-and-egg theory. And it's not unprecedented for him to just lose his straight stuff, that's what happened during his no good very bad 2016.

so i dunno. I just want him to get better because I always loved Sonny.

Yeah, I like Sonny and hope he can turn it around, if not here, then somewhere because he seems like a guy who is trying his best, but putting too much pressure on himself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Yeah, I like Sonny and hope he can turn it around, if not here, then somewhere because he seems like a guy who is trying his best, but putting too much pressure on himself.

Hopefully they sign Corbin and Kershaw in the offseason and kick him to the curb.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Corbin maybe, Kershaw no.

Even assuming he hits the open market.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lynn might be a better starting option going forward if we're being honest here. him and Gray aren't lined up by coincidence

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Corbin maybe, Kershaw no.

Even assuming he hits the open market.

The idea that people don't want the 30-31 year old AT WORST top 3 pitcher of this generation will never not be hilarious.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 1, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

The idea that people don't want the 30 year old AT WORST top 3 pitcher of this generation will never not be hilarious.

He's had recurring back issues for what, three years now? I don't want to sign him to a long-term deal.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's just loss aversion. I wanted to trade Gray for Harvey, and now I want to trade him for Jon Gray (although the Rockies would never go for a crazy flyball pitcher like Sonny.) Or some other similar headcase, can't win them all, I just don't want to lose him for nothing.

At this point, see if anyone wants to Verlander a good pitcher making too much money in August. Although I'm in the minority in that I would have gone hard for Chris Archer.

The lineup not hitting - it's a good-ish lineup now, but the best lineup ever stuff was predicated on Judge being around and Sanchez being around and not garbage. They are streaky as poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sonny Gray isn't the reason this team is .500 vs Tampa and Baltimore and the Mets.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Hey you guys let's spend another dozen pages bitching about how horrible this team that's on pace for 104 wins is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Monday_ posted:

Hey you guys let's spend another dozen pages bitching about how horrible this team that's on pace for 104 wins is.

It looks like 104 won’t be good enough.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It looks like 104 won’t be good enough.

Tell us more!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monday_ posted:

They've lost 4 more games than the Sox, it's amazing how people act like the Yankees are just making GBS threads the bed.

I get that it's incredibly frustrating to lose to poo poo teams like the O's and Rays but the idea that they're actually a bad team is something else.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
We aren't bad but we believe we are better than a 104 win team. this team should have challenged for the record. losing to garbage feels EXTRA bad I usually rage out when we lose those games too but I don't post about it...even though I want to.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

They've lost 4 more games than the Sox, it's amazing how people act like the Yankees are just making GBS threads the bed.

I get that it's incredibly frustrating to lose to poo poo teams like the O's and Rays but the idea that they're actually a bad team is something else.

No one said they are a bad team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
The yankees are good, and great.

• Locked thread