Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
Wait, so do I understand correctly he refused direction to clean up the things he was complaining about? Seems a reasonable enough cause for termination to me. Whether the subsequent acts are reasonable remains to be seen but an employee generally doesn't get to just say no to their employer when directed to do something. This guy wasn't an engineer, as far as I can tell. He worked in the facility and had complained about the waste. That ought to shoot down his claims of wrongful termination pretty easily under most US labor law, even if he'd actually followed the rules about whistleblowing to begin with. (He had not done so.)

As far as the unsubstantiated claims of robots damaging the product, we've literally not seen evidence of this outside his claims have we? If so I've missed it entirely and one would think the folks who are shorting Tesla and stirring the pot on Twitter, etc, would have eben all over that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

source your ars quotes pls k thnx

no

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fair enough, you'd just be linking the whole comments section

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

Wait, so do I understand correctly he refused direction to clean up the things he was complaining about? Seems a reasonable enough cause for termination to me. Whether the subsequent acts are reasonable remains to be seen but an employee generally doesn't get to just say no to their employer when directed to do something. This guy wasn't an engineer, as far as I can tell. He worked in the facility and had complained about the waste. That ought to shoot down his claims of wrongful termination pretty easily under most US labor law, even if he'd actually followed the rules about whistleblowing to begin with. (He had not done so.)

As far as the unsubstantiated claims of robots damaging the product, we've literally not seen evidence of this outside his claims have we? If so I've missed it entirely and one would think the folks who are shorting Tesla and stirring the pot on Twitter, etc, would have eben all over that one.

Dont't worry, Musk says it's fake news. Go about your day, citizen.

I'm sure a company building cars out of tents in vacant lots and struggling to resolve panel gap issues is totally not ad-hocing battery repairs on volitale rare earth metal batteries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

fair enough, you'd just be linking the whole comments section

they are loving amazing though

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 1, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah muglife owns

i've got a ian miles cheong one around here somewhere too

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the guy is raising money to combat Musk and also be an SEC whistleblower. he probably has more evidence that he’s trying to release once he has protection.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i know, reddit, but what a goddamn attention whore

it's not working tho

pretty good statistical analysis of musky sentiment over time and across subreddits: https://hackernoon.com/the-internet-is-changing-its-mind-about-elon-musk-4af75b292135

spoiler, he's a piece of poo poo!

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i know, reddit, but what a goddamn attention whore

it's not working tho

pretty good statistical analysis of musky sentiment over time and across subreddits: https://hackernoon.com/the-internet-is-changing-its-mind-about-elon-musk-4af75b292135

spoiler, he's a piece of poo poo!

lol found this at the bottom:

About the Author

I’m the founder of HodlBot.

We automatically diversify and rebalance your cryptocurrency portfolio into the top 20 coins by market cap.Think of it as a long-term crypto-index that you can DIY on your own exchange account.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/valuedissenter/status/1024675571521843200?s=21

oh no

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jesus

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
"sound corporate governance."

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yes capitalism, that thing where governments shovel money at very rich men who get slaves to build things that don't work and sell them to rich people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the battery problem at $tsla is malthusian in scope

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

defender of truth, justice ? and no, the american way !

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Plank Walker posted:

defender of truth, justice ? and no, the american way !

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

infernal machines posted:

there was a guy in the AI ev thread who went all hardcore "oh yeah? if tesla's so bad why don't you short them?" for like ten pages every time someone brought up the model 3 graveyards

Regular shorting is dumb because it's a crowded as hell trade, expensive, and can explode you even if you're eventually right. Buying a way out of the money put limits your losses and can pay off a lot if the stock actually goes to zero by 2020. Assuming you have like $900-$1000 to gamble on these kind of irresponsible financial decisions.

At the very least, two contracts is probably a more exciting way to lose $2500 than a model 3 deposit.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the risk on shorting doesn't really have an upper bound

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Not if you're buying options though, since the maximum loss is whatever you paid.

Edit: but also professional options market makers still have like a billion computers calculating how to keep as much of your money as possible.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 1, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Not if you're buying options though, since the maximum loss is whatever you paid.

what kind of options can you buy for tesla that approximate shorting?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

iunno. some of their hosed up batteries?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mrmcd posted:

Edit: but also professional options market makers still have like a billion computers calculating how to keep as much of your money as possible.

what app was it that reversed the icon for puts

robinhood?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Puts.

Most people lose money buying options for two reasons:

They misjudge the time box or price target, and the contract expires worthless.

By the time John Q Shitposter has figured something out, the priced in premium is already so high there's little to no profit left.

So like, a JAN 2020 85P on TSLA selling for $9 breaks even if the price hits $76 before then. However if you actually think bankruptcy is a thing before then, then the stock goes nearly zero, and that $9 gets you ~$76 of profit. 1 contract is 100 shares, so $900 yields $7600 in this scenario.

That's a ballsy bet though, because it's 18 months out, and if 2020 rolls around and TSLA is still clinging to life at all, then any price above $76 means all your $900 is gone.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1024758123406323712

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1024759651668123649

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

new thread title

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
YOSPOS > elon musk: why kill just the kids when you can kill the adults too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/NetflixAndLamp/status/1024759048871272464

https://twitter.com/Paul_M_Huettner/status/1024755591816904705

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the risk on shorting doesn't really have an upper bound

Moridin920 posted:

Bought a 320 8/10 put at exactly $30/share

I hope Elon has a meltdown on the conference call today!

Shamino posted:

riperoni
lmao currently trading at $330

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lolll moridin

i thought that guy got perma-ed

e: oh no he was that super long fyad chainprobe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ehhh I’d wait for the market to open tomorrow but it does look like :rip:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

This thread very much emphasizes the negative.

But media car reviewers are constantly in awe of these products. Top Gear did a glowing review of the X, for instance.

I believe the information I've seen in this thread, but surely everyone should be throwing their pocket change into shorting/puts on Tesla right now, right? Especially in advance of the earnings call. That's what I'm doing. Or is this just intended as pure schadenfreude?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
elon musk built this in a tent, with a box of scraps
*car explodes*

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
naked shorts are unlimited downside, by definition you're risking more than you can afford to lose.

puts are a much safer bet, also there's no chance of it getting squeezed out of your position if the stock goes up before it goes down (just as long as it does eventually go down before your option expires)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DON'T
PUT
VIDEO
GAMES
IN
YOUR
DASHBOARD

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/solelymoving/status/1024768631312277504

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

DON'T
PUT
VIDEO
GAMES
IN
YOUR
DASHBOARD

This is why you'll never be a billionaire

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i thought adults in anime don't drive cars they only pilot giant robots??

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1024726529304027137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are you loving kidding

There's only one giant screen in the car, there is no way to ensure that only a passenger is playing, and because it's big and central it will always be a distraction

why not just hook it up to Netflix while you're at it, Lonny