Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
I don't know if this was ever answered, but does the game simulate weight loss due to the calorie deficiency that Goonpa is most certainly running?

Does endurance ever go up over time in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarx
Jun 8, 2018
Goonpa is some sort of organic wastebasket, I'm pretty sure his weight and pulse means he barely asborbs half the calories in anything he eats.

Does this game simulate the deficiency of nutrients over calories from fasting? If it does we can use the remaining food supplies as protein and vitamin supplements with a large side of calories until Goonpa is out of fat.

rarx fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 23, 2018

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Also this game is making me think of some of the books we read in school when I was kid.

My Side of the Mountain
Avalanche
Hatchet

Someone suggested Going Home, I'm going to have to check that one out.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fair warning, Going Home is bad. Like, really bad. But in a hilarious way. It's like american psycho, but with lists of SUPER TACTICAL survival gear, and more hard-won-approval-by-gruff-father-figures. I SUPER recommend the audio book version, for dramatic reading.

e: The author credit is A. American :patriot:

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 24, 2018

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I remember reading Hatchet in school, and being moderately freaked out by bits of it, like when the protagonist goes back and finds the fish-eaten weeks-old corpse of the pilot in the underwater wreck

I hid that behind spoiler bars for folks who want to go into the book blind, but I figure some folks would prefer being warned

at least our Goonpa only has to worry about hauling along his own carcass (along with the sacred rock of his forebears, naturally)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

lofi posted:

Fair warning, Going Home is bad. Like, really bad. But in a hilarious way. It's like american psycho, but with lists of SUPER TACTICAL survival gear, and more hard-won-approval-by-gruff-father-figures. I SUPER recommend the audio book version, for dramatic reading.

e: The author credit is A. American :patriot:

what i heard here is that it is self-aware bad

is this so? because if that's the case i have an audiobook club that is getting a recommendation soon.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's possibly the least self-aware book I've read. But then, Poe's law, it could equally be a genius parody.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

pass then. i was born in north carolina, i feel like that'd bring back a couple too many bad memories.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Hey thread, sorry about the lack of updates! :shobon:

Goonpa is still alive and well (as much as can be expected that is!), and updates will resume as soon as my schedule gets less confusing and I have the time to sit down and remember how to play this game and figure out how best to handle the trapping stuff! I haven't actually tried it out much before, so it's gonna be interesting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I propose that we start naming all the other landmarks on the map that haven't been named already, whether we're ever likely to see them or not.

Coolguye posted:

not substantially different than starving without those pounds.
Toxicity is a concern that most people probably wouldn't ever have. It's the main reason why Fatty McFatfat can't just decide to stop eating one day and just starve those pounds off his body until they're all gone. I'm not sure about the specifics, whether it's fat-soluble toxins that get freed up or whether it's toxic metabolites from the fat burning off, but you'll end up killing yourself with your own internal waste products long before you'd run out of available calories.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i guess i should go on a bit more about what i was meaning when i snapped off that reply, yeah.

starvation measures involve shutting down a lot of 'discretionary' nutritional spending that people will generally recognize as being able to move around well, feel good, and eliminate quickly. toxicity is a problem in all starvation situations because of that 'eliminate quickly' portion. cats without a ton of extra weight will move more waste just because they are not as big, though; every extra pound of fat is a lot of extra blood vessels and cells that need to be maintained.

beyond that, though, my primary point was that fat itself is calories but it's only half of the required nutritional equation. the other half is protein, which an obese dwarf does not have any more of than railthin skinnybones. ultimately the shutdown will be from lack of protein, and there will be dozens of pounds of rapidly putrifying lipids left out to bake in the noontime sun, not substantially slower than a more modestly sized person.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Will Goonpa continue to waddle towards salvation soon? I was enjoying this thread.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Not dead! Just busier vacationing than expected. Updates will resume any day now!

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Can't wait to see how Goonpa is faring!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thread still moving faster than goonpa.

e: and probably less dead, too.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

LP status: Still not dead, honest! :shobon:

My only real excuse is the massive never-ending heat sapping all my will to do anything at all except what's strictly necessary or immediately gratifying. At least this is something the game simulates, so in a way I'm live action LP-ing Wilderness as we speak!

If you want goonpa-related reading while I get my act together, I recommend this thread which I've been reading up on recently. It features the only human being in the world as poorly prepared for a trek as good ol' goonpa.

Again, sorry about this massive hiatus!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No probs! Try not to burn out, both physically and mentally!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Covski posted:

If you want goonpa-related reading while I get my act together, I recommend this thread which I've been reading up on recently. It features the only human being in the world as poorly prepared for a trek as good ol' goonpa.
Hey, watch the insults. Even goonpa had the sense not to try dragging a wal-mart quality cart across the wilderness.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

True! And that goon didn't even have the forethought to bring his ancestral rock with him!

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

Covski posted:

Oh come on, he can't be that...

:stonk:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Knew which thread it was before clicking the link :)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The pictures of Point Reyes near the end were pretty good. Saw a mountain lion cub there once. Looked and acted like an oversized kitten!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Thanks for keeping us updated. Stay cool. Think snowy thoughts.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's Ingebjerg Totenlefse, nine times national champion lutefisk-thrower from Sykkylven. I'd recognize that throwing arm anywhere.

i lol'd

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

And, we're back! To recap, our general plan at the moment is to reach the river, and spend a few days camped there, fishing by the fire and attempting to trap some small game for some much needed calories and furs to fashion proper mittens, since our leather gloves just aren't cutting it.

I've reoriented ourselves to what is, to my estimation, the direction which will let us intersect the river as soon as possible, hopefully allowing us to get our preparations done while we still have daylight.

Three hours of slow tromping through the snow, we are getting close enough to the river that we can hear it off in the distance. Such notifications can be very useful for navigation, in situations where you have an hard time orienting yourself on the map, such as when your visibility is limited by being in dense jungle or forest.

Goonpa's condition, as you might remember, isn't the best, but he's hanging in there.

A few more hours, and we reach the forest growing close to the riverbend, just as expected. I unfortunately forgot to take the opportunity to fashion fire making sticks at this point, but we will get more chances.

And just another hour or so finally brings us to the shore of Dogleg River, below the foot of steep mountain.

We'll need to eat and drink, and probably rest a short while, but we have plenty of time left in the day.

A reminder of our inventory situation. Food is getting worrisome, but fishing and (if we're lucky) trapping should hopefully improve matters somewhat - if we can catch enough fish to sustain ourselves, we could theoretically camp here indefinitely.

And another look at the topo map, just to have it on the page. If you've forgotten, we're estimating that we are somewhere in the area where Dogleg River curves along the foot of Steep Mountain, facing a heading of roughly 200 degrees magnetic.

Let's talk plans for our immediate future! My idea is to make camp at this spot, and set one trap 30 minutes or so upriver, and one trap 30 minutes downriver. This way we should have an easy way returning to them without getting lost. We are aiming to camp here for at least two days, hopefully being able to alleviate our frostbite somewhat by staying near the fire at all times, and checking our traps daily. One issue with the game is that it absolutely requires you to completely douse your fire every time you leave the area, so we'll be paying a bit of a match tax for the trapping business. Still, our 17 matches should hopefully be enough for the entire adventure, as we won't be spending more than one a day either way. At this rate, it's doubtful we'll survive long enough to spend them all, should the journey indeed be that time consuming.

Do any of you have any other suggestions or additions to this plan? Now is also a good time to revisit the discussion of whether or not we want to lighten our load by dropping some of our excess equipment.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
We can definitely drop the snakebite kit and repellant. It's way too cold for bugs and snakes to be a concern.

And we can use the magnifying glass to start a fire if it's still light out, right? That should help the match situation a bit.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I can't recall, what were our conclusions about the snakebite kit? And would the tennis shoes actually be useful?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

idhrendur posted:

I can't recall, what were our conclusions about the snakebite kit? And would the tennis shoes actually be useful?

1) it's too drat cold for snakes and the game doesn't even spawn any venomous snakes in this place anyway
2) in one word: lol

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Looking back on our last inventory discussion, the manual says there are no snakes at all in our location. The snakebite kit is 100% useless to Goonpa.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the insect repellent is also specifically for keeping malarial mosquitoes off of you

when malaria becomes a problem at this latitude i'll let you know

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Goonpa keeps on rolling! :dance:

I agree with the plan. If we can, try to time the relighting of the fire to be during daylight hours as much as possible to save matches. Otherwise I don't think I have anything to add. Everyone pray to the ancestral rock for good fishing/trapping luck.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, drop the snakebite kit, repellent, and tennis shoes.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Coolguye posted:

1) it's too drat cold for snakes and the game doesn't even spawn any venomous snakes in this place anyway
2) in one word: lol

That's what I thought. I agree we should drop them.

Well, unless we can think of an entertaining purpose to them.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Covski, you mentioned fire sticks - any idea how long it'd take to light a fire with them? We don't want goonpa sat in the cold mashing sticks together with his handsicles, but anything we can do to save matches seems smart. Also, can we make a torch, take fire with us to avoid having to make new fire?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Torch might also help with the hand situation. Though I've no doubt its easy to set yourself on fire in this game with a torch.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well, that would also solve the hand situation.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

We go through our usual camping routine, sans making a fire since we'll be setting off again shortly. Upon attempting to hang our backpack, I discover that this river shore area is completely bereft of trees. But hey, no biggie, right?

I messed up a bit before, not remembering to stop to make the traps while we were in the forested area, so we'll need to make a quick jaunt back to get them and the fire making sticks made, it's going to cost us a few hours. Goonpa has a quick lunch before preparing to set off again. He's been battling a bit of dehydration on and off (remember kids: Being in freezing temperatures dehydrates you as much as being in very hot temperatures, if not more!), but with water so accessible it shouldn't be a problem as long as we remember to drink regularly.

At least we can leave our heavy backpack behind, only carrying with us the absolute essentials: Knife, gun, water, and a handful of gorp to eat. This should hopefully allow Goonpa to move much quicker!

To avoid getting lost, I navigate very carefully using the LOOK BACK/LEFT/RIGHT commands, to only turn in 90 degree increments. This can sometimes be a life saver, especially in dense vegetation without a compass when you have no way to regain your bearings if you get turned around.

I may also have been a bit rusty with the game and wasted a lot of time by failing to use the USE KNIFE command while making the trap. Oh well. I also discover another annoying finickyness of the game: You are not allowed to have duplicates of the same item in the same location, so we'll have to make another trip if we are going for the two trap plan.

I navigate back to the campsite, and trek north following the river for half an hour before setting the trap.

Pictured: An incorrect syntax for setting a trap. The proper commands are USE BAIT/USE TRAP.

Another half hour back to the camp and the sun has already set. Let's check our status, Goonpa must be starving by now...

He sure is! But hey, doesn't it look like something's missing...?

...SUCH AS ALL OF OUR GODDAMN FOOD :supaburn:

So, uh, turns out hanging your backpack properly is very important if you plan on leaving food behind. :tbear: Apparently, during Goonpa's absence, happy little Canadian critters got into it and ate every last ounce of food, even those dubious plants we picked up off the ground way back when :(

Okay, so: This was totally my fault, underestimating how much of a bastard this game is willing to be if you do stupid stuff like this. I'm not sure if this is guaranteed to happen if you leave an unhung backpack of food behind or if we were just incredibly unlucky. Luckily I'm good at keeping backup saves for situations just like this - there are an incredibly large variety of ways you can accidentally put yourself in a terrible situation, many of them variations on the "walking away leaving your backpack on the ground" thing I mentioned early on. This means you don't have to suffer for my mistakes, unless you really want to.

For most small mistakes I've made fighting the games interface I've just stealthily reloaded, but this particular one was so hilarious to me that I'm putting it to a vote:

A) Restore a save from when Goonpa first made camp, remembering to use a knife for making traps and bringing our food with us on our trapping expeditions.

or

B) Live in the hell I inadvertently created for Goonpa. I wasn't anything resembling confident about his chances before, but this is probably a death sentence.

Hopefully I'll have time to make an update tomorrow, but the weekend is going to be busy on account of Friday being my thirtieth birthday :toot: No months long hiatuses this time though, promise!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Happy early birthday!

I vote to roll back the save. This wasn't us making a stupid decision, as such - you tried to put the backpack somewhere safe and the game said no. (There are trees in this general area, that's why we camped here. I call bullshit that there wasn't one within easy hobbling distance, especially given that we're on the bank of a goddamn river.) I want to see how far Goonpa can get.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Restore save. This is hilarious, but goonpa deserves a chance at a proper horrible death instead of one caused by interface weirdness/LPer error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lol yeah if you don't restore the save you are flat hosed