Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Partycat posted:

Are you just jamming the glass into some sort of data hole ?

What the hell is a “loose fiber cable”?

An LC-LC fibre cable that is not fully plugged into the port under the desk. Though I suppose yes, I am just jamming the glass into a data hole.

When they're at feet level people tend to kick them. I have a picture somewhere where it's just the connectors stuck in the port and everything else is sheared off.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I ... have a possible suggestion for an improvement to your setup

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Data Graham posted:

I ... have a possible suggestion for an improvement to your setup

I'm 99% sure we've all razzed pr0digal about this before. Or else somebody else in here has also had end-user fiber connections.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pr0digal posted:

An LC-LC fibre cable that is not fully plugged into the port under the desk. Though I suppose yes, I am just jamming the glass into a data hole.

When they're at feet level people tend to kick them. I have a picture somewhere where it's just the connectors stuck in the port and everything else is sheared off.

reminds me of the call center i worked in during the early 2000s where we figured out that kicking the plug would drop the call in a way that made it look like the customer hung up, and take 30 minutes to reboot the phone so free break.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm 99% sure we've all razzed pr0digal about this before. Or else somebody else in here has also had end-user fiber connections.

The entire Department of Defense uses fiber NICs in all of their desktops. It breaks about as often as you'd think it would.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah you probably have, I know what I do (well did) isn't super common. But we don't install the fibre, we just support the SAN and do the cabling from the server room patch panel to the switches.

I too lament stupid decisions made by clients in regards to end-user connections. Like when the client ran dual fibre to every single desk but only ran dual ethernet to half of them. Now you might say "pr0digal, why do the desks need two ethernet connections?" which is a perfectly fine question. The answer is that the SAN solution that we install needs a private metadata connection that isn't routed along with a fibre-channel connection plus the house connection.

And since most of clients are Mac based it's dongle and adapter city! A lot of internal IT departments won't touch the stuff which is why we get called in.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 1, 2018

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Partycat posted:

Are you just jamming the glass into some sort of data hole ?

What the hell is a “loose fiber cable”?
If your fiber cables are loose you can try Metamucil.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Renegret posted:

It is when you can call a supervisor over to type the password in every time you need it.

:suicide:

:stare: goddamn.

It's almost like the problem will solve itself when he gets pissed that you have to call him over every 5 minutes for the password. :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow you're an optimist.

I'm imagining the supervisor gets annoyed very quickly, becomes unresponsive, then you're in a meeting to discuss how you clearly don't know how to do your job because a simple task like this is taking much longer than it should.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

It is when you can call a supervisor over to type the password in every time you need it.

:suicide:
Sounds like a good use case for a keylogger on your own machine. :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RFC2324 posted:

reminds me of the call center i worked in during the early 2000s where we figured out that kicking the plug would drop the call in a way that made it look like the customer hung up, and take 30 minutes to reboot the phone so free break.

That trick still works in some of the places i've worked. They don't wire them very well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pr0digal posted:

The answer is that the SAN solution that we install needs a private metadata connection that isn't routed along with a fibre-channel connection plus the house connection.

:what:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I didn't ban power strips in my place as such... but I refuse to supply them- I have authorisation to raise orders myself so I could just go and get as many as I want easily enough, however 99% of people have to get their orders approved by some other manager so they'd have to justify what they are up to which seems to sort out the genuine requests and there aren't too many around the place.

we can't use wifi here, so we always have trunking handy for sockets (outlets...) and will arrange enough for IT requirements... if someone decides they want a radio/desk fan/whatever, then I leave that up to them - they have a computer, they can do their job, IT don't need to spend any more money.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hmm, I haven't, I kind of want to, I also kind of want to not get involved in that in any way what so ever!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Merijn posted:

:stare: goddamn.

It's almost like the problem will solve itself when he gets pissed that you have to call him over every 5 minutes for the password. :v:

Honestly it's not as awful as it sounds because on the 2nd or 3rd need for the password will be me giving myself admin privileges. Then I do what I have to and switch it back so nobody knows.

This department is so rear end backwards. It's what happens when you let a bunch of power users and home PC enthusiests who think they know more than IT manage their own computers. I admit I'm one of those power users, but the difference is that I know what I don't know and don't claim to be any better than IT. I work with the customer network, I say leave Windows to the Windows people.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 1, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Knormal posted:

:perfect:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

That's the exact look we get from internal IT departments when we explain the requirements.

As an additional bonus the machine's can't go to sleep or else there will be data coherency issues because it's a file locking SAN!

I can't be the only person here who works with fibre-channel SANs.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 1, 2018

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Knormal posted:

I thought that was for when they were tight?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Next question about Azure AD: same client who doesn't have an on-premises DC is getting frustrated that their 5 staff have to accept the EULA every time Office 365 Business updates. Is there somewhere in Azure AD that we can have an designated, authorized person accept it once on behalf of all staff?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nexxai posted:

Next question about Azure AD: same client who doesn't have an on-premises DC is getting frustrated that their 5 staff have to accept the EULA every time Office 365 Business updates. Is there somewhere in Azure AD that we can have an designated, authorized person accept it once on behalf of all staff?

No, but you can disable the EULA entirely on deployment of office

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/configuration-options-for-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

Edit: and registry: https://www.autoitconsulting.com/site/deployment/automating-office-365-click-run-first-use-without-group-policy/

The Fool fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 1, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds like a bug to be honest. My work laptop is Azure AD Join and Office never presents the EULA to me.

You may want to try redeploying with the options to skip the EULA checked and see if it fixes it long term https://config.office.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How long has that site been around? Last week I did four configurations by hand and am now very angry about it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I just discovered these and don't know how I missed them for so long.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

angry armadillo posted:

I didn't ban power strips in my place as such... but I refuse to supply them- I have authorisation to raise orders myself so I could just go and get as many as I want easily enough, however 99% of people have to get their orders approved by some other manager so they'd have to justify what they are up to which seems to sort out the genuine requests and there aren't too many around the place.

I started one job in the middle of a fight between IT and the executives over a proposed new office layout. It was going to be open plan with 4 wide 2-person tables clustered around a pillar. Every other pillar was planned for two standard 3-prong grounded outlets. At two monitors, a laptop charger, and power for the phone, multiplied by 16, each actual outlet would be driving 32 devices. So, a net of six power strips per socket.

I wish I had a copy of the memo, on letterhead, over a signature, that shut that poo poo down and got a proper number of outlets run. Paraphrased, it opened with "While I am willing to contact the Fire Marshall about this plan, the fire department will be called in days or weeks if this plan is implemented as is."

Oddly enough, the open plan worked. We got a lot of poo poo done and morale was high, although the open bar at the back of the office may have helped.

One day about four months into that job the CEO waved me into a meeting room after lunch. He proceeded to apologize for being rude and aggressive earlier. I just stared at him and explained I didn't know what he was talking about. That was my first job after the advertising agency, and five years in advertising IT had hosed my standards badly enough that something a decent human being would apologize for, didn't even register as abusive.

Pro-tip: Keep advertising on the same list of no-go industries with health care and legal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Z-Index: 100000000000, Real World CSS killed me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Knormal posted:

So I just discovered these and don't know how I missed them for so long.

I feel very called out by this

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always liked this one, which seems to predate all those:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any evidence that would suggest receiving a spam email in Exchange (Office 365), and deciding to forward it to somebody asking "hey is this spam?" would actually negatively affect the spam filter in terms of how it learns about what type of mail are spammy?

I mean Office 365 has quite lovely filtering out of the box but a particular tenant is getting stuff that you'd expect would be easily caught, so either they are getting their email addresses listed somewhere, sign up to poo poo themselves, or somebody with them in their address book has hosed up at some point, or the act of engaging with junk messages by forwarding them is telling O365 that it was a valuable message.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there any evidence that would suggest receiving a spam email in Exchange (Office 365), and deciding to forward it to somebody asking "hey is this spam?" would actually negatively affect the spam filter in terms of how it learns about what type of mail are spammy?

I mean Office 365 has quite lovely filtering out of the box but a particular tenant is getting stuff that you'd expect would be easily caught, so either they are getting their email addresses listed somewhere, sign up to poo poo themselves, or somebody with them in their address book has hosed up at some point, or the act of engaging with junk messages by forwarding them is telling O365 that it was a valuable message.

poo poo I certainly hope that doesn't screw with the spam filter, I get at least 2 emails a week asking me that question.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I've found that 365 is just real real poo poo about spam, or it fails to communicate to you why things are happening which is indistinguishable from just being real real poo poo. Multiple times we'll get forwarded something saying "hey, is this legit?" and it's obviously not, but we'll go into the spam filter and there's 60 of these emails that have hit us, with 55 of them being blocked and 5 of them being let through despite being received after the identical emails the system correctly identified as spam/bulk. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason behind which addresses it allows them through to, and the whole spam algorithm is entirely opaque so :shrug:

I'm sure the filtering gets much better if you sign up for their monthly extra security CALs.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
We had internal email and replies from customers getting caught in the filters when we first cut over. Seems like they've mostly gotten that figured out though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is really strange. A user reports a Windows 10 machine has been crashing with blue screen errors several times this week, and even sent a photo of it. But when I examine the event log on the machine, I don't see any errors logged. In fact, it even looks like it the machine was shut down normally. The error code on the blue screen is "Unexpected kernel mode trap".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

nielsm posted:

This is really strange. A user reports a Windows 10 machine has been crashing with blue screen errors several times this week, and even sent a photo of it. But when I examine the event log on the machine, I don't see any errors logged. In fact, it even looks like it the machine was shut down normally. The error code on the blue screen is "Unexpected kernel mode trap".

Maybe too obvious but make sure you're looking at the same machine that they took the picture of? (Blaming the user's lack of accurate communication here, not you.)

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Or maybe they're just loving with you?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Also make sure storage isn't causing the issue, which would prevent recording a blue screen dump. As for the proper shutdown log, that's a mystery

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Weatherman posted:

Maybe too obvious but make sure you're looking at the same machine that they took the picture of? (Blaming the user's lack of accurate communication here, not you.)

:lol:
That would be such a dumb way to try to get free tech support for a personal machine that I really hope that's the answer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Could be either the machine that the user is RDP-ing into, or the one being used to connect via RDP that's blue-screening.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Could be either the machine that the user is RDP-ing into, or the one being used to connect via RDP that's blue-screening.
You're not gonna see a bluescreen on a machine you connected to via RDP

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Somedays I feel the unholy IT trifecta of professors, doctors, and lawyers should be changed to professors, doctors, and paralegals.

Lawyers can be big babies sometimes but no one can be rude, cranky, and lovely like a paralegal IMO. They act like the place will fall apart without them and lol forever. Also they by far push back the hardest if you dare to tell them there are better ways to do something or a software change makes them have to do something different.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LethalGeek posted:

Somedays I feel the unholy IT trifecta of professors, doctors, and lawyers should be changed to professors, doctors, and paralegals.

Lawyers can be big babies sometimes but no one can be rude, cranky, and lovely like a paralegal IMO. They act like the place will fall apart without them and lol forever. Also they by far push back the hardest if you dare to tell them there are better ways to do something or a software change makes them have to do something different.

Do those fuckers still use WordPerfect?