Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Popete posted:

FTFY

He'd be rich as gently caress.

Given how broken Search and Post History has been for the last three years he wouldn’t even have to charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
A guy ran onto the field at the Astros game yesterday and made a renaissance painting:

Also the dude is a former Marine.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

A guy ran onto the field at the Astros game yesterday and made a renaissance painting:

Is that Big Sexy making a dive there? XD

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Communicating upwards well to your management is the most important skill in the professional world

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1024724761987825669

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

good lord he looks like he hasn't seen the sun in years

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

McCann using his DL time wisely

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Cubs fans: what's the best way to get to the stadium? I have a car but I assume parking will be expensive as all hell.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Cubs fans: what's the best way to get to the stadium? I have a car but I assume parking will be expensive as all hell.

From where? Taking the L train (Red line) or bus is easiest. Parking is hell and expensive. If you're coming from out of town park somewhere away from the stadium (I believe there is free off site parking with shuttles) and bus in.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

From where? Taking the L train (Red line) or bus is easiest. Parking is hell and expensive. If you're coming from out of town park somewhere away from the stadium (I believe there is free off site parking with shuttles) and bus in.

Coming from Oak Park, by 290. I'm free the whole morning so finding a place to park by a bus shouldn't be a problem. Is there a specific spot?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Almost all the parking is way, way off-site. I'm a mile from Wrigley and we still need residential parking stickers. Best bet is to take Red Line to Addison. Or, like Popete said, find out where the shuttles are.

There is no actual parking for Wrigley. Even the loving Taco Bell across Addison charges for parking on event days.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Get an uber

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Get an uber

I will never advocate anyone taking an Uber to any event in this city. It only adds to the already lovely traffic and is probably no faster than CTA.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
From Oak Park, I would just take the Green Line to the Red Line. Don't even use your car at all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Coming from Oak Park, by 290. I'm free the whole morning so finding a place to park by a bus shouldn't be a problem. Is there a specific spot?

Pretty much everything west of Ashland does not require a permit. If you're coming down Irving or Addison you should be able to find a spot on a side street before you hit Ashland and then you can either walk/bus or Uber. It's not a far walk from Ashland.

Use this map to check permit zones ahead of time.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/bluesky/chi-chicago-residential-parking-zones-bsi-map-htmlstory.html

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 2, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

I will never advocate anyone taking an Uber to any event in this city. It only adds to the already lovely traffic and is probably no faster than CTA.

I used an uber the last time I was in Chicago and I apologize for nothing

It was a shared uber and this british dude in the back was extremely annoying and wouldn't stop hitting on the woman sitting next to him (I should have offered to move to the back but I went to sleep until I was dropped off at the train station instead it was like 7 am)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Taking an Uber to Wrigley is doable but it's post game that is hell. If you go the Uber route plant to walk a fair distance away from Wrigleyville before calling for one or you'll be waiting 30 minutes and paying an ungodly amount.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also my sister forced me to go to this stupid premium popcorn place

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

From Oak Park, I would just take the Green Line to the Red Line. Don't even use your car at all.

Looking at the map, I think this will probably be the best bet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i propose that matt albers be incinerated by dragon fire

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

Looking at the map, I think this will probably be the best bet.

For night games there is offsite parking at the Devry parking lot. It’s near Belmont and Western, they run shuttle busses to/from the game. I’m not sure if it’s free, but it will be way cheaper. Or just take the L, that’s my preferred way to go after biking.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The first time I went to Wrigley it was in the pre-smartphone/GPS days, I had never been to Chicago before and was young and naive.

I can't even say I went to Wrigley that first time, because I ended up listening to the game in the car until the 7th inning completely lost before I turned around. I eventually made it back to the hotel about 4 hours after I left, defeated.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

seiferguy posted:

If you're going today, do not drive. There's a big protest planned and it's gonna be chaos.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Today is the 39th anniversary of Thurman Munson's death. The New York Times has published new information about the crash and subsequent lawsuits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/sports/thurman-munson-plane-crash-yankees.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

Today is the 39th anniversary of Thurman Munson's death. The New York Times has published new information about the crash and subsequent lawsuits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/sports/thurman-munson-plane-crash-yankees.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

This is a really good read. It is crazy a guy flying for so short a time was jamming around in a jet.

Also Thurman Munson had an 80 mustache tool.

Also has a more prominent athlete ever died mid season? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

If you grew up in Chicago, you probably still have at least 3 empty Garrett popcorn tins lying around your house.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Intruder posted:

Garret’s popcorn is way too greasy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bewbies posted:

This is a really good read. It is crazy a guy flying for so short a time was jamming around in a jet.

Also Thurman Munson had an 80 mustache tool.

Also has a more prominent athlete ever died mid season? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Years ago I saw a YouTube video of the Yankees taking the field in the first game after his death. They fielded their positions and began to warm up, but left the catcher position vacant in honor of Munson. The catcher that day didn't take the field until right before first pitch. Extremely powerful stuff.

Edit: Found it. The video is about 32 minutes long. The first 17 are the announcers doing somber pregame rain delay stuff. There's a brief ceremony then about a 10 minute ovation afterwards.

https://youtu.be/D7Yhptax06I

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 2, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poque posted:

If you're going today, do not drive. There's a big protest planned and it's gonna be chaos.

I'm going today, but I always take CTA or bike. I imagine getting out will still be a pain in the rear end.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm going today, but I always take CTA or bike. I imagine getting out will still be a pain in the rear end.

I have a couple of friends who make too much money and hate taking the subway, so I've Uber'd to/from Yankees games (well, NYCFC games a couple of times) and every single loving time I just wish we could take the drat subway.

Baseball: Take the train!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Miz Kriss posted:

Garret’s popcorn is way too greasy

You take that back!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Kratos went in the wrong realm door.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

McCann using his DL time wisely

I see Fisher more than McCann

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I have a couple of friends who make too much money and hate taking the subway, so I've Uber'd to/from Yankees games (well, NYCFC games a couple of times) and every single loving time I just wish we could take the drat subway.

Baseball: Take the train!

When visiting other parks, I get really really annoyed when I can't take public transit there. I hate driving to games with a passion. It's why I'm not looking forward to my final four parks, Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, and Houston.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

When visiting other parks, I get really really annoyed when I can't take public transit there. I hate driving to games with a passion. It's why I'm not looking forward to my final four parks, Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, and Houston.

I've only been to Tampa once and did not attend a baseball game, but they have streetcar things that are relatively functional. I'd be shocked if one can't get you to the Trop.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The Trop is actually in St. Pete, looks like there are buses I could take as long as I stay somewhat close. Houston probably isn't that bad either really since it looks to be downtown.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You can probably get street parking adjacent to the Trop considering their attendance numbers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Houston’s mass transit is kind of a joke, but there’s tons of garages and surface lots within a 3-6 block walk of MMP. There’s a single rail line going down Main St. that you could take and then walk the last 6 blocks if you didn’t want to park close to the stadium.

You could also eat before the game at Ninfa’s on Navigation (one of the better Tex-Mex places in Houston) and take their free shuttle :haw:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1024950947796140032

lmao gently caress the Astros holy poo poo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There are also rickshaws everywhere before and after games

e: ^^^ yeck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

To be fair, he is doing typical lawyer poo poo that he is legally obligated to do there. But still, gently caress that guy.

• Locked thread