Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

How will they make lots of money soon if they are now making the most money they'll ever make with the expensive Model 3s and even so they lose money?

When they get to the cheap ones what the gently caress is gonna happen?

I mean poo poo you don't have to be a genius to understand this, is this the kind of bullshit hedge fund managers do with pension money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

orange sky posted:

How will they make lots of money soon if they are now making the most money they'll ever make with the expensive Model 3s and even so they lose money?

I mean poo poo you don't have to be a genius to understand this, is this the kind of bullshit hedge fund managers do with pension money?

Congratulations, you are smart enough to lose money in the stock market.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol, real tesla losses were over 1 billion this quarter, they just decided not to pay ~$400m worth of bills to their suppliers to get it under 750m?

e: also lol @ pedobear in 2018, who makes these graphs :cripes:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

orange sky posted:

They will start producing affordable cars that can be manufactured in high volu... sorry, I thought I could finish this with a straight face, but I can't.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fknlo posted:

The $35k model is still complete vaporware. It has not existed and is very likely to never exist.

Tesla removed all references to the 35k model S this year from their official website.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

babypolis posted:

if elon was good at pr he woulndt have called a hero diver a pedo

my guess is he was just lucky in riding the I loving LOVE SCIENCE wave

its the science angle, for sure. The company is named tesla lol

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 08:15 on Aug 2, 2018

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Truga posted:

lol, real tesla losses were over 1 billion this quarter, they just decided not to pay ~$400m worth of bills to their suppliers to get it under 750m?

haha we lost enough money to feed nations in just a few months!!!! *wacky meme, boioioiing sound*

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BioMe posted:

Like do you need any more proof even in the PayPal days he was nothing but a glorified code monkey?

not even that - he thought moving PayPal's servers from Unix to Windows NT was a good idea

BioMe posted:

Right, for some reason I though he had a formal education since even the critics seem to give him credit for actually having done something hands on with PayPal. I hope he didn't. You'd really have to pity the guy who had to had to clean up after the self-taught genius micromanager with a fragile professional ego.

PayPal made money because Eric Jackson realised it had synergy with eBay. This worked so well that eBay eventually bought them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lorn Wayne posted:

haha we lost enough money to feed nations in just a few months!!!! *wacky meme, boioioiing sound*

The media was saying the report was good news for Tesla because the net loss was expected to be even higher!

But don't worry someday Tesla will have a profitable balance sheet.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
this is good news...for Jeb! Musk!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Musk of the Red Death.

quote:

The tastes of the duke were peculiar. He had a fine eye for colour and effects. He disregarded the 'decora' of mere fashion. His plans were bold and fiery, and his conceptions glowed with barbaric lustre. There are some who would have thought him mad. His followers felt that he was not.

quote:

Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. When his dominions were half depopulated, he summoned to his presence a thousand hale and light-hearted friends from among the knights and dames of his court, and with these retired to the deep seclusion of one of his crenellated abbeys.

quote:

But, in spite of these things, it was a gay and magnificent revel.

Poe knew.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Poe was Death Crew af

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't stop thinking about Grimes's long rear end fingers

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

bring back old gbs posted:

Teslas are famous for being built by scrounging in the parts bins of better car companies. electronic seat controls, steering column, window switches are from Merdeces, HVAC blower from a Kia Optima, gas pedal is from a Ford Fusion, Range Rover steering rack, windshield wiper motor from a giant 18-wheeler(seriously lol).

But apparently they actually build the seats themselves. The seats that need to be jacked up with scraps of wood. the seats that, if you complain about the comfort on tesla forums, they tell you that you're probably sitting wrong. So there is no way they have mechanical controls. No loving way they are capable of engineering that. If the seat needed mechanical controls they'd be taking it from the parts bin of a legitimate automaker.

lol its AMC all over again

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah but the swat team T posed and fell through the floor :rip:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sir Tonk posted:

lol its AMC all over again

At least AMC made their cars cost as much as their methods lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rigged Death Trap posted:

At least AMC made their cars cost as much as their methods lol

telsa should make a new pacer

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

telsa should make a new pacemaker

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Bloomberg article basically admits that Tesla stock increased by 8% solely because Musk managed to not poo poo himself in public during the the 2018Q2 earnings call, not because anything else about the company is actually different

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-02/musk-s-mea-culpa-and-relief-over-cash-marks-tesla-turning-point

quote:

“The pieces are now falling into place for a sustainable Tesla story. Before, it took mental gymnastics to get there,” said Gene Munster, a managing partner at venture capital firm Loup Ventures. “His actions on the call were a powerful statement that he’s capable of channeling his energy for the good of the company, and it removes a central concern of Tesla supporters.”

This guy is high outta his mind

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you cant actually draw a line between musk being a good boy on the phone and rhe stock going up. these are shot-in-the-datk post-facto analyses

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Crossposting

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more like CAR citizen

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Shear Modulus posted:

you cant actually draw a line between musk being a good boy on the phone and rhe stock going up. these are shot-in-the-datk post-facto analyses

I mean...

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Bloomberg article basically admits that Tesla stock increased by 8% solely because Musk managed to not poo poo himself in public during the the 2018Q2 earnings call, not because anything else about the company is actually different

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-02/musk-s-mea-culpa-and-relief-over-cash-marks-tesla-turning-point

This guy is high outta his mind

yeah, elon blew smoke up their asses. the mad money guy loved it.

https://twitter.com/jyarow/status/1025043309092384768

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's wild how far you can get by just flattering and lying to rich people

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
gotta love a guy who pulls out a win when the chips are down

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

I. DO. NOT. UNDERSTAND.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/01/news/companies/tesla-earnings-walkup/index.html

quote:

The electric car company said it lost more than $717.5 million in the second quarter. But its cash burn rate was less than investors expected, and the company had $2.2 billion in cash at the end of the quarter.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

old if it lets you play missile command

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

capitalism is so loving dumb

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sir Tonk posted:

:psyduck:

quote:

The electric car company said it lost more than $717.5 million in the second quarter.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Agrajag posted:

:psyduck:

it was over a billion, they just refused to pay supplies like $400 million and didnt count that as a loss

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

At some point the thread title needs to become:

THE MARKET CAN REMAIN IRRATIONAL LONGER THAN YOU CAN REMAIN SOLVENT

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

orange sky posted:

Crossposting

Donald Trump being in the crowd shot of this movie makes this so perfect.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I saw a Model S on the way to work today! I live in Memphis and didn't even know they had chargers here (I thought you needed some special charger?).

I considered taking a picture of it, but decided that taking a picture with my smartphone while driving was probably not the wisest decision.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
📉 :decorum:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
he will step down from ceo within next 1-2yrs

:capitalism:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

moist turtleneck posted:

I can't stop thinking about Grimes's long rear end fingers

being a hosed up fae changeling is part of her appeal

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Mariana Horchata posted:

he will step down from ceo within next 1-2yrs

:capitalism:

yeah he'll step down in 2 years to run the greatest company on earth, the USA

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Truga posted:

Loss.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
This is awesome. I’m just continually awed at how this continues to happen. Basing everything off of a “only severely disappointing cash burn” while not taking into account the rest/any of the balance sheet changes is so painfully brutal to watch.