Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrimSqueaker posted:

How do you summon the ankh? I know I have to submit three prayers, found all three praying spots, but I'm not sure how to actually pray.

Have a close look at each prayer tablet, and try to mimic whatever the person on it is doing. The second prayer tablet, the one in the area just left of the save point, is the easiest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah no, even the most insane streamers I've had a look at haven't finished the game yet, and they were all hovering around 30-40 hours.

Edit: Also, help I'm running out of text app space due to The Underworld being so insanely dense with information and hints. Might have to break out some good old pen and paper.

Highly recommend a word doc for this, searching for keywords is really useful, especially once you connect the dots between the item description and the actual item.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
33:25:30 according to the pause menu in my game. I'm 6 guardians in and according to Steam, I have 131 screenshots saved. I've been reflexively hitting the screengrab key every time I read a tablet or talk to an NPC with new information, and I went through the first 4 guardians before I started doing that. This habit has saved my rear end so many times now that it isn't even funny anymore.

Now if only (mid-late game spoiler) I could figure out how to enter the eternal prison. It's looking like I need a key fairy to do that, and they're apparently found in the prison itself.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah no, even the most insane streamers I've had a look at haven't finished the game yet, and they were all hovering around 30-40 hours.

Edit: Also, help I'm running out of text app space due to The Underworld being so insanely dense with information and hints. Might have to break out some good old pen and paper.

Google docs

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Who gave the immortal battlefield the right to be so goddamn large??? I was already feeling like wow, what an annoying field, and then I got the map and ooooh my god

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I could use some help on how to find the Annwfn ankh. I've already been everywhere except the top left room.

Also, one of the dwarves said he'd unlock a chest for me but I haven't found an open one since

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

okay, I'm throwing in the towel and asking for help. I'm posting an image of my inventory because I'm not sure where to go next. I've explored Yggdrasil, Anfywnn, some of Icefire Treetop, Immortal Battlefield, Valhalla, the Gate of the Dead, I've at least seen the Land of the Frost Giants, and probably somewhere else I'm not thinking of. there's definitely some things I'm missing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Can I get a vague hint about how I get to HL (Heaven's Labyrinth)? I assume it has something to do with the sky disc hint, but chanting various mantras in front of it in the Mausoleum of Giants doesn't work.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

okay, I'm throwing in the towel and asking for help. I'm posting an image of my inventory because I'm not sure where to go next. I've explored Yggdrasil, Anfywnn, some of Icefire Treetop, Immortal Battlefield, Valhalla, the Gate of the Dead, I've at least seen the Land of the Frost Giants, and probably somewhere else I'm not thinking of. there's definitely some things I'm missing.

e: ALSO how come I found a fairy early on in an early area, who then disappeared after a couple screens and I've never seen a fairy since? where did that trick go?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

e: ALSO how come I found a fairy early on in an early area, who then disappeared after a couple screens and I've never seen a fairy since? where did that trick go?

You should be able to get the second sigil. But I've forgotten where I found it. Also fairies are on a timer, they will respawn after a while.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ymgve posted:

You should be able to get the second sigil. But I've forgotten where I found it. Also fairies are on a timer, they will respawn after a while.

that would certainly open things up for me, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of it

e: I've beaten Fafnir and Vitria, for what it's worth

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

okay, I'm throwing in the towel and asking for help. I'm posting an image of my inventory because I'm not sure where to go next.

Seems to me you should explore Annfwn more. You can get a block-pushing upgrade and you can fight the boss of that area + find an entrance to.. two other areas, I think?

To actually fight the boss though, you need to find the second entrance to Annfwn at Yggdrasil roots

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Also, what are you supposed to do in this room? (in the Taka Shrine area) Tried attacking and subweaponing everything but nothing budges.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

TeaJay posted:

Seems to me you should explore Annfwn more. You can get a block-pushing upgrade and you can fight the boss of that area + find an entrance to.. two other areas, I think?

To actually fight the boss though, you need to find the second entrance to Annfwn at Yggdrasil roots

I can see that, there's a few rooms on the eastern side I can't get to. I guess I'll give it another look

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

Can I get a vague hint about how I get to HL?

Vague hint: take a plunge in the frigid depths
Direct hint: Have you killed Nidhogg? Have you thoroughly explored the area he's guarding?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ymgve posted:

Can I get a vague hint about how I get to HL (Heaven's Labyrinth)? I assume it has something to do with the sky disc hint, but chanting various mantras in front of it in the Mausoleum of Giants doesn't work.

that disc hint is for something inside it. you just go there through a guardian door afaik

MiF posted:

Someone posted on the steam forums that they'd kept rotating the door, and eventually got the other guy. I'm hopelessly addicted, so I thought I'd give it a shot, and I got the other dwarf to show up after using about 40 weights by spamming up and cancel in front of the door as fast as possible after activating the right side pedestal.

yesssssss

for me it worked on the left side so i guess try both sides. still i wasted like 100 gold on this dumb thing but whatever i have anchor now

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The fairies don't trust you yet. You need to talk to their royalty.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

that would certainly open things up for me, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of it

e: I've beaten Fafnir and Vitria, for what it's worth

The gloves are the chokepoint, I got stuck at the exact same place. It takes some La Mulana bullshit to open up that particular chest.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also this game has a lot more instant death traps Ive noticed, even if some of them are funny jokes like the one in Dark Lord's.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ymgve posted:

Also, what are you supposed to do in this room? (in the Taka Shrine area) Tried attacking and subweaponing everything but nothing budges.

There's another entrance to this room.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

DoubleNegative posted:

Vague hint: take a plunge in the frigid depths
Direct hint: Have you killed Nidhogg? Have you thoroughly explored the area he's guarding?

Are you talking about the area where Vidofnir is? I can't damage him.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
Question regarding mirror: Mulbruk told me that Fobos has the mirror, talked to Fobos and he said he gave it to Samaranta and to go talk to him, but when I go up to him in the Mausoleum of Giants he won't talk to me, won't trigger a dialogue or anything. Is it bugged? If it is bugged, will it stop me from getting the mirror or does he simply give a hint regarding it's location?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Control Volume posted:

The gloves are the chokepoint, I got stuck at the exact same place. It takes some La Mulana bullshit to open up that particular chest.

I don't know what that means, but I want them. I found another entrance to Annwfn and then it tURNED OUT TO BE A POISON TRAP. COME ON

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ojetor posted:

There's another entrance to this room.

Is it accessible through the Immortal Battlefield entryway, or do I have to find another way in?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

Are you talking about the area where Vidofnir is? I can't damage him.

No. Close, but not quite.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ymgve posted:

Is it accessible through the Immortal Battlefield entryway, or do I have to find another way in?

It is. If you've found the area's grail tablet you should be able to get there.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I don't know what that means, but I want them. I found another entrance to Annwfn and then it tURNED OUT TO BE A POISON TRAP. COME ON
Oh well consider the glove chest to be your first lesson in that

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ojetor posted:

It is. If you've found the area's grail tablet you should be able to get there.

I haven't. Any hints about how I reach the tablet?

DoubleNegative posted:

No. Close, but not quite.

The only other area on the map with a gate symbol is to the right. Is that the area? Do I need to summon the guardian of the area to proceed?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you want like a subtle clue for finding the gloves instead of just being given the solution (which I dont recommend because solving this one builds good habits), this game wants you to learn very early on that half the time you think you need a certain item to solve a puzzle, you probably dont. The glove chest is its most blatant lesson in this

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

The only other area on the map with a gate symbol is to the right. Is that the area? Do I need to summon the guardian of the area to proceed?

In order... Yes. No.

You're seriously overthinking this, just go on over and have a look!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ymgve posted:

I haven't. Any hints about how I reach the tablet?

Make sure you've fully explored the first room in the area.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

DoubleNegative posted:

In order... Yes. No.

You're seriously overthinking this, just go on over and have a look!

Which room? The boss room with a chest to the upper right? Have attacked everything in that room and no hidden paths found. Need a more deep hint here.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Have a close look at each prayer tablet, and try to mimic whatever the person on it is doing. The second prayer tablet, the one in the area just left of the save point, is the easiest one.

All right, that did it. I was wondering why that box was there. Also, I found a very effective way of fighting that guardian. Weapon Fairy. I only had to do a pixel of damage myself.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ymgve posted:

Which room? The boss room with a chest to the upper right? Have attacked everything in that room and no hidden paths found. Need a more deep hint here.

Do you have the katana yet? Its not necessary at all but its helpful and its functionality is directly related to the trouble youre having.

e: whoops thought you were talking about Taka

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Real disappointed to solve the puzzle in Gate of the Dead only to get nothing but a shortcut.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ymgve posted:

To get to HL I'm not sure exactly what flags are required to trigger it, but I think it's you have to defeat Ratatoskr in Immortal Battlefield, then he'll show up in Icefire Treetop.

Further hint: Ratatoskr does not show up in the Inferno Shrine at first, you have to find him elsewhere in Icefire before he'll go there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Ojetor posted:

Make sure you've fully explored the first room in the area.

Damnit. I thought I attacked everything in that room, but of course there was one section I was missing. Thanks!

Procrastine posted:

To get to HL I'm not sure exactly what flags are required to trigger it, but I think it's you have to defeat Ratatoskr in Immortal Battlefield, then he'll show up in Icefire Treetop.

Further hint: Ratatoskr does not show up in the Inferno Shrine at first, you have to find him elsewhere in Icefire before he'll go there.

Oh well, that explains why "go over and have a look" seemed like a weird hint. He hasn't shown up there yet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm a scrub who slowly but surely started to completely give up and rely on guides as I got further in the original La Mulana. I think I initially got frustrated because of activating Hard Mode and feeling like an idiot struggling at the bosses. Really excited to get totally owned again.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The worst part about this game is it’s impossible to work on the puzzles when I’m away from the game, so I just spend all day desperately trying to avoid clicking any of the spoilers in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

The worst part about this game is it’s impossible to work on the puzzles when I’m away from the game, so I just spend all day desperately trying to avoid clicking any of the spoilers in the thread.

Hell yeah dude, welcome to the club.