Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Agreed. This guy was clearly new. Not stopping me from posting on the internet about passing him though :v:

Autobahn is really rad. If I was a mega rich dude living in Chicago I would be a member for sure. The north course is a hero track, pretty simple but really fun. Even if you are slow it feels fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

There was a really nice guy in a GTR at Lime Rock a few weekends ago who routinely gave much slower cars point bys because he wasn't a dick and was out to have fun and not wreck his car. Nothing wrong with that. It's much worse to be that rear end in a top hat in a Viper or some poo poo and have a train behind you.

Yeah I ran into this at Watkins. Old dude in a nice BMW convertible, he says to me he will just point me by every time no need to get in his mirrors because he's out there to just enjoy the car and track he grew up with. I really appreciate it when people are self aware and know their limits.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just got an estimate for that dent in my door. 2 grand!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Just got an estimate for that dent in my door. 2 grand!

now you see why most regulars have track rats

What happened?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 2, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't know. It was parked at a restaurant and when I came out, the door was dented and scraped.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

PaintVagrant posted:

Autobahn is really rad. If I was a mega rich dude living in Chicago I would be a member for sure. The north course is a hero track, pretty simple but really fun. Even if you are slow it feels fast.
Autobahn is amazing, I'd love to live in a track community like that. It would make it much easier to justify things like...

BlackMK4 posted:

:getin:

Homebuild "Locost" - 915lb, ~120hp 2003 R1 engine
seller's photo before it shipped....my garage is a disaster

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I envy the poo poo out of your combined garage

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

BlackMK4 posted:

I envy the poo poo out of your combined garage

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

whyihavearacecar.jpg

One excursion probably about 2-3k off the resale. That was the last time I tracked a street car at any real pace.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

KillHour posted:

I don't know. It was parked at a restaurant and when I came out, the door was dented and scraped.

Idiot next to you probably cranked the wheel and then backed up, putting the bumper into the side of your car. This has happened to me twice.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Joe Mama posted:

Idiot next to you probably cranked the wheel and then backed up, putting the bumper into the side of your car. This has happened to me twice.

That's sooo low though. Had to be another sporty car if that was the first part that hit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gotta love other drivers. Had the same hit and run happen to my wife's car. Time to use that insurance deductible. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Did another rallycross today at another track, goddamn drifting on dirt at full lock is fun as hell. :allears:

Also, I had the fastest lap! Good loving times!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Atlanta Motorsports Park is an interesting track and an interesting facility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikV3YzAsgj0

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Prong Song posted:

Atlanta Motorsports Park is an interesting track and an interesting facility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikV3YzAsgj0

Really nice facility and great track, we had a blast there a couple years ago. If you talk to the on track vendor (Discovery Parts) you can sign up for I think two "test and tune" days a year through him. Can't remember price or details but he's a nice guy to work with.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

Really nice facility and great track, we had a blast there a couple years ago. If you talk to the on track vendor (Discovery Parts) you can sign up for I think two "test and tune" days a year through him. Can't remember price or details but he's a nice guy to work with.

I actually did talk to the owner, think his name is Ron. He's got some racing chops. I was discussing seat fitment into a Miata with him (because of course things have to be difficult; I have the torso, arms, and shoulders of a 6'5" guy, the legs of a 5'5" guy, and the wasteline of a deskbound engineer), he ended up sending me down a few doors to Racing Analytics.

Those are some pretty cool guys, lots of Spec Miata prep work, actually pulled around race-prepped Miata for me to try sitting in to check fitment. They also did a brake pad and rotor changeout for me during lunch without any forenotice or charging me any sort of rush fee. I'm more than likely going to be carting the car back down there this fall to have them do a floor drop and xmission tunnel notch-out install so I can fit a fat boy's seat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the note of test and tune days, if anyone is near Chuckwalla they also offer a few days throughout the year called STAR Car Days or Promoter Days where it is either open session all day or 20-30 minutes every hour for $175. Very few people show up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Funny question, but I'm looking for more forums and crap for bullshitting about roadrace poo poo - I'm bored at work a lot lately. I'm on corner carvers and probably going to reg at RRAX, plus the prodracing forum... anything major I'm missing? I mean assume an SCCA bent as NASA is a nonentity here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
cupcakes and skittles

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This looks understeery. More throttle plz

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
At least for NASA stuff it is all FB groups these days.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Funny question, but I'm looking for more forums and crap for bullshitting about roadrace poo poo - I'm bored at work a lot lately. I'm on corner carvers and probably going to reg at RRAX, plus the prodracing forum... anything major I'm missing? I mean assume an SCCA bent as NASA is a nonentity here.

i like the grassroots motorsports forums

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

mekilljoydammit posted:

Wow never expected to see a goon reference corner carvers. It’s got a lot of good info but it’s mostly middle aged guys arguing about politics now. Very few actually drive anymore.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I drive a BBW posted:

Wow never expected to see a goon reference corner carvers. It’s got a lot of good info but it’s mostly middle aged guys arguing about politics now. Very few actually drive anymore.

There was some good poo poo. And I never look at any of the politics subforums on any forum.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I did my first track night and had fun. I also saw this harness attachment arrangement in a 500 Abarth. It’s as sketchy as it looks right? Seat backs don’t really have to take any load in a crash and these dinky hoops don’t either.

For clarification, that goes to the top of a three point harness, and it’s fastened to the mount bracket for the now-removed rear seat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

I did my first track night and had fun. I also saw this harness attachment arrangement in a 500 Abarth. It’s as sketchy as it looks right? Seat backs don’t really have to take any load in a crash and these dinky hoops don’t either.

For clarification, that goes to the top of a three point harness, and it’s fastened to the mount bracket for the now-removed rear seat.

:wtc: It's questionable at best. Not really designed to be in tension like that, especially if it's literally just the striker for the fold down mechanism.

Needs a proper harness bar or better mounts.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone have experience running bias ply tires on track? The locost came with a set of American Racer tires mounted on track wheels with 5 autocross runs on them. Past couple years I've mostly run 200tw tires for chump/wrl/etc.

Only time I've run bias ply was a few hot laps in a students vintage 911 almost 10 years ago, all I remember was more initial turn in angle required and they were very stable in a slight drift.

edit: seller mentioned very low tire pressures in the range of 15-18psi cold but that's autocross and he mentioned spinning off course the first time he ran them so...

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 11, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

In general, they don't want as much camber as radials (on the range of a degree or two) and they're happier with sliding. What I'm seeing, tire pressures that low are in the ballpark, but they're going to care about pressure a lot more than radials.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Think he said he had -1.5 on front caber, -1.25 rear which seems in line for what I'm seeing recommended elsewhere. His pressure's seem close as well with people recommending 20-25psi hot. They should be fun to play with and compare back-to-back with a radial r-comp.

Need to ping the gokart track guy again and see when I came come play around for a couple hours.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/2018/08/14/14166/

Penskes for SM.

quote:

The new shock price will be set at $198.74 apiece, with the complete upper mount/bump stop kit retailing at $249.90. Parts will be available exclusively through Mazda Motorsports with a total cost for conversion; including four shocks, top mount, bump stops and lower spherical mounts for less than $1,050. Unlike the current Spec Miata shock, the Penske will be tamper-proof, and rebuildable through Penske at $100/shock.

Sounds incredibly cheap

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Wow spec Miata is looking better than Honda challenge 4 right now.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Honestly, after the various backorder issues on the spec Bilstein shocks, I'm not surprised something like this happened. Penske probably offered the tender with the knowledge that they'd be placing themselves well to have a lot of repeat business as rebuilders. I expect someone to have dyno charts of them in not terribly long but drat if the idea of moving to real damping instead of the bad SM valving is nice.

I mean I don't run SM but still.

http://mazdamsports.staging.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Spec-Miata-Shocks-Evolving.pdf Interesting presentation on the process.

mekilljoydammit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 14, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Friend is in the process of building a track locally and said I could come run around for a bit. Track is fairly narrow right now so it's mostly for karts and drifting but he's expanding/paving as funds allow. My gopro mount broke when I did a final adjustment going out so phone camera will have to do for now. The thing is stupid fast and even on the street tires it sticks drat good. Track was also dusty with some dirty spots as this was a drifting day and they tend to cut corners or go off track.

https://www.facebook.com/grassrootsmotorplex/videos/310475456376469/
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ry8AubGFg

May have drone footage later and probably some action shots from one of the photographers that was out there.

Session after this one, 2nd session in car ever in video, he timed a few of my figure 8 runs it came in several seconds faster than the karts.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 26, 2018

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I meant to show this earlier, check out the finish for the autocross I was on the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbcrPfWQsis

I have been told it'll be better next event.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Good: Finished clutch install on S2000 in time for shakedown at NASA event today, took second in TA-R

Bad: Transmission issues when hot (doesn't happen on the street) weren't poor clutch release like I was hoping. Synchro for 4 is trash and 2 and 3 are weak. Honda doesn't sell synchros by themself, you have to buy the complete gear sets for like $400 a pop. Now I need to try and find a known good AP2 transmission to put in it... :homebrew: I have a spare AP1 transmission but I am not real sure of the condition.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 26, 2018

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Granny shiftin' not double clutchin' like you should.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

$400 for gears doesn't sound bad vs. a box with unknown history.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I can buy three used AP2 transmissions for the price of the parts and tools needed to rebuild one :v:
I'm going to put the spare AP1 transmission in the car next weekend and see what happens after that. I bought it like six months ago and the fluid that came out of it was clean, along with a pretty clean magnetic drain plug (not stock). Shifts fine on the bench so here is hoping it isn't worse than what is in the car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got back from a 2 day autocross event that was run on a real track. Pretty awesome for my second time autocrossing. Did okay-ish, although still back of the pack. I think the guy who won my class was ran a 55 or so, while my best was a 62. I was lucky in that my local PCA has essentially an older guy that's been doing it forever that was nice enough to coach me on a bunch of runs which helped incredibly. Still amazed by the ride-along I did with one of the guys running 56s though: not sure I'll ever have the balls to make the car move like that.

Finally, does literally every person that does this have a second set of wheels with RE71s mounted that they bring to the track? I was one of the only guys there on street tires. Is that something I'm going to need to think about down the road? Are RE71s that much better than something like Michelin PS4s?

edit: Also, is there any difference in helmets? How much do I need to spend to get a decent SA2015 rated helmet that I can use for a while?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 27, 2018