Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

What I'm gathering from the last few pages is that hell truly is other people.

I'm picturing some utopian transport system like in Asimov's Caves of Steel (basically airport style moving sidewalks but much faster and with fast/slow/merge lanes like a highway) but people still gently caress it up and end up jamming their briefcase into someone else's rectum at 30mph before tripping and having the fast lane deglove the skin on their arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't kinkshame

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Me on an airport moving sidewalk: "oh cool, I can do 2x speed while walking."

Everyone else on an airport moving sidewalk, apparently: "oh nice I can just stand here in the dead center of the walkway."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Everyone else on an airport moving sidewalk, apparently: "oh nice I can just stand here in the dead center of the walkway."

Realtalk: it should be legal to physically remove these living obstacles from one's path whilst on an escalator or moving sidewalk as necessary.

Especially in an airport. I've just been sitting anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours usually, in a cramped and unnatural position, let's get a fuckin' move on and get some blood flowing!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Most of these I've been on lately have extremely well signed stand & walk lanes that people seem to respect.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PT6A posted:

Realtalk: it should be legal to physically remove these living obstacles from one's path whilst on an escalator or moving sidewalk as necessary.

Especially in an airport. I've just been sitting anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours usually, in a cramped and unnatural position, let's get a fuckin' move on and get some blood flowing!

My favorite is people who give you dirty looks when you pass them on an escalator

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But all it takes is a single head up their rear end idiot to ignore the signs and gently caress things up for everyone.

This is why we need AI and robots, there's no way we could ever pay enough security/police/whatever to penalize this stuff but if a computer could do it? gently caress yeah.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

xzzy posted:

But all it takes is a single head up their rear end idiot to ignore the signs and gently caress things up for everyone.

This is why we need AI and robots, there's no way we could ever pay enough security/police/whatever to penalize this stuff but if a computer could do it? gently caress yeah.

Full circle to the birth of SA: Pusher bots

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

xzzy posted:

Just like those lovely red light cameras? AI ticketing is the worst

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DO YOU HAVE MOVING WALKWAYS IN YOUR AIRPORT

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Door Frame posted:

I like what's been going on in Calgary. We have radar traps and red-light/speed-on-green cameras, but they're in such obvious and well-known locations that they really only serve to capture people are paying absolutely no attention at all. That's exactly who should be ticketed, so I have no problem with it. There's not even an attempt to hide them at all -- sometimes I'll see the trucks parked with four-way flashers on, just to make it extra-obvious!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Door Frame posted:

The problem there wasn't the cameras, it was the way they were set up, along with crooked idiots literally changing the timing of lights to make them shorter. Thus, more red lights were ran & more revenue was gained, but they got caught & had to cut that poo poo out. Don't blame the cameras, blame the people who made all the other changes to try to fleece the general public.

Personally I'd be all for red light cameras, especially with how some areas have had their law enforcement budgets cut & police may not be able to patrol all the time or cover where they need to. If they're set up properly & nothing else is tampered with, then nobody has any ground to bitch when they get ticketed with legit proof that yes, you hosed up & need to pay attention.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The problem there wasn't the cameras, it was the way they were set up, along with crooked idiots literally changing the timing of lights to make them shorter. Thus, more red lights were ran & more revenue was gained, but they got caught & had to cut that poo poo out. Don't blame the cameras, blame the people who made all the other changes to try to fleece the general public.

Personally I'd be all for red light cameras, especially with how some areas have had their law enforcement budgets cut & police may not be able to patrol all the time or cover where they need to. If they're set up properly & nothing else is tampered with, then nobody has any ground to bitch when they get ticketed with legit proof that yes, you hosed up & need to pay attention.

Yeah, anyone changing the timing of the lights to make more money can go straight to hell, but if that doesn't happen, cameras are overall a good idea. I know I certainly watch my speed and yellow-light timing more carefully at an intersection when I know it has a camera :v:

Considering they're actually signed before the intersection here, the yellow lights are a proper length, and they hardly ever change locations, I love them because they're basically a tax on morons -- a concept which I fully support.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
this is the thread you share airport walkways with

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

xzzy posted:

DO YOU HAVE MOVING WALKWAYS IN YOUR AIRPORT

PAC CHOOIE ON YOUR LEFT

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I'm teaching a kid how to drive and yellow light timing is a part of the lessons. Thank god there are no red light cams around here to complicate things.

My general rule is "If you have to hammer the brakes hard to stop, take the yellow. If you can stop smoothly, even if a bit quickly, then stop." with the caveat "always a quick check of the mirror in the second case"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

dee eight posted:

I'm teaching a kid how to drive and yellow light timing is a part of the lessons. Thank god there are no red light cams around here to complicate things.

My general rule is "If you have to hammer the brakes hard to stop, take the yellow. If you can stop smoothly, even if a bit quickly, then stop." with the caveat "always a quick check of the mirror in the second case"

We had our city traffic engineer get in an argument with our traffic cops (meaning revenue source) over that one.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Yeah. I had a driver ed teacher that said, and I quote, "If any part of your car is in the intersection when the light goes red, you could have stopped safely" and this was back in the era of no delay from red to green. :rolleyes:

e: It's pretty much fact that rear-enders go up at camera'd intersections, n'est-ce pas?

dee eight fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 2, 2018

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

CannonFodder posted:

PAC CHOOIE ON YOUR LEFT
This is a funny post.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

dee eight posted:

You are doing the right thing BTW (at least in my eyes).

But tack on looking for the fuzz everywhere then add that in to your decision making process.

What a hosed up world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Too bad the fuzz don't politely all drive crown vics anymore, there's too many body styles to instantly identify anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

Too bad the fuzz don't politely all drive crown vics anymore, there's too many body styles to instantly identify anymore.

Part of the game. I do find it funny how the craziest stories of a state has to have them marked. (Ohio)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Part of the game. I do find it funny how the craziest stories of a state has to have them marked. (Ohio)

I think even unmarked can tag someone if they see a violation on their normal duties. Just not as traffic for their primary. Either that or some people were pulled over against the law!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's 99% Chargers and Explorers around here. At least the Explorers you can tell, because they always have the "POLICE INTERCEPTOR" badge on them. The Explorer cop cars are always either white (county sheriff), black (local) or gray (staties). The Chargers are either black or the crazy gray unmarked cruisers with the flip-down lights and poo poo.

The local cops in my slow, affluent, nothing-happens-here town managed to earmark enough in the budget to get all their cruisers repainted and marked with ghost lettering for some retarded reason:
(not mine I wish my town had a cool name like Alapaha)

e: I just realized that all the ghost cruisers in my town still have the huge front bumper thing and blatantly visible lights, so I dunno who they're trying to fool lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't post in here much so I dunno the right thread to post in but I was drawn to the word idiot. (hmmm idiot isn't actually in the thread title is it? was it before? hmmm)

Anyway, in the UK, rented a van from a well known company that rhymes with JERKZ. Haven't done that in ages, very exciting that they now email you a pdf as the damage report thingy and then you discuss it with the dude on the way out. I pictured a revolving 360 Lidar camera that scans the van and some real scifi poo poo but it was just a bored twentysomething who yawned at everything I said and poked his ipad. Whatever, seemed to tally.

Get home, tight schedule, load van...

My pensioner father stands on the very clearly a rear step moulded plastic step which shoots off backwards taking him and my mum's george clooney coffee maker down. He's probably fine but the lovely coffee maker is dented and maybe proper broken. Examination shows a hosed up dented and deformed, downward leaning metal... bumper frame? that someone has put a new plastic bumper over the top of, but only attached with the top 6-8 top screw/bolt things, none of the corresponding underneath ones.

Now what? Like they totally screwed me. In good conscience I can't return this van and let some other bugger fall off the back off it, it isn't safe, I want a new coffee machine and really my father had maybe two decades of telly watching infront of him and should be compensated now that he is slightly bruised. If he remembers.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing, point me where to go, I haven't spoken with the company yet as the cost to me of not cracking on with things was actually thousands given ferries, tenancies and so on. But I've recorded everything with date stamped geo tagged photos. And like why is the under bumper damaged but not the outer?

I will accept if this is a mcdonalds drivethru though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Colostomy Bag posted:

You'd be surprised how far a department can push this law.

The city that borders the one I live in to the north has a mayor's court (archaic state law permits city mayors or an appointed magistrate to hear minor misdemeanor cases...like simple moving violations) and at one point had a CV with a low-profile emergency light and barely off-white 2" "POLICE" lettering (on a white car) along the door sills.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Yeah I miss not having to check every domestic pickup on the Deerfoot for the little white sticker the cops have on their license plates instead of the normal date or fleet sticker

They use entirely unmarked trucks with headache racks and toolboxes, or with cappers. If you don't spot the plate sticker, or the discreet extra flashers on the bumper, or the extremely clean-cut guy with a Henry Rollins neck and a uniform driving it, your next indication that it's a police vehicle is when they light up. My wife thought I was paranoid about ghost cars until I managed to point a few out to her.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've always found that funny too. Of all the states I've driven in, I feel like Ohio is the easiest to speed in particularly because of this. There are only certain places the cops can sit when running speed patrols, they have to be marked with a light bar, and they have to have at least their parking lights on any time drivers would have to have their headlights on.

Indiana has dark cars with no markings and no light bars that hide in the median ditch behind bridge pillars. Pennsylvania puts cops in DOT trucks. Illinois and Virginia go full undercover where you might get pulled over by a minivan or a Mustang.

Geoj posted:

You'd be surprised how far a department can push this law.

The city that borders the one I live in to the north has a mayor's court (archaic state law permits city mayors or an appointed magistrate to hear minor misdemeanor cases...like simple moving violations) and at one point had a CV with a low-profile emergency light and barely off-white 2" "POLICE" lettering (on a white car) along the door sills.
But yes, this is definitely a thing. From the city just north of me:

https://www.cleveland.com/brunswick/index.ssf/2012/09/minimally_marked_brunswick_pol.html

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can't find a good pic but yeah the cruisers in my town are about as visible labelling-wise as that gray one in the photo above me, it's poo poo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Lucky me, Dallas cops are both clearly marked and too understaffed to deal with anything as unimportant as traffic violations

I've been here four and a half years and I've never seen someone pulled over for a traffic stop ('round where I live anyway)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phy posted:

Yeah I miss not having to check every domestic pickup on the Deerfoot for the little white sticker the cops have on their license plates instead of the normal date or fleet sticker

They use entirely unmarked trucks with headache racks and toolboxes, or with cappers. If you don't spot the plate sticker, or the discreet extra flashers on the bumper, or the extremely clean-cut guy with a Henry Rollins neck and a uniform driving it, your next indication that it's a police vehicle is when they light up. My wife thought I was paranoid about ghost cars until I managed to point a few out to her.

And every god drat white explorer on winter steelies :argh:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I will accept if this is a mcdonalds drivethru though.

Lawyer, or solicitor in your patois. Get an independent garage to look and document too. Then yell at them (JERKZ) angrily and demand that they fix that poo poo and not rent defective equipment and ask with a sneer, what kind of insurance do you guys have?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

When I was a kid, the state cops drove 440 ci Plymouth Fury II and IIIs. I can attest to the fact that they used unmarked cars. Also that they hauled rear end.

Also I once saw a NY state trooper on duty in a boss lookin' orange and black Camaro Z-28. He had a stick-on blinker for the roof and kept his smokey bear hat on the passenger seat until he got out to issue a bitch a special driving award.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I’ve never really understood the bull bars in front of US cop cars...? It’s entirely a North American thing. Around these parts a cop car is just a high end station wagon with a bunch of lights, antennas and, recently, ANPR cameras on it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bolind posted:

I’ve never really understood the bull bars in front of US cop cars...? It’s entirely a North American thing. Around these parts a cop car is just a high end station wagon with a bunch of lights, antennas and, recently, ANPR cameras on it.

A cop with a push bumper was able to get my car unstuck from a snowdrift at the bottom of a hill once. I don't think they usually do that kind of thing but I only got stuck because I slowed way down passing an accident they had 2 cruisers and an SUV at. It wasn't a bad accident but I guess they didn't have a lot to do and the snow made things more difficult for everyone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bolind posted:

They do the lovely, dramatic PIT manouvre to stop a fleeing car, while don't they try to box them in in your region?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

spog posted:

PIT manouvre

This here never gets old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4CIYR7lIk

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
A thought. What happens when an attempt is made to PIT a modern car with stability control, traction control and other driver aids?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rexxed posted:

A cop with a push bumper was able to get my car unstuck from a snowdrift at the bottom of a hill once. I don't think they usually do that kind of thing but I only got stuck because I slowed way down passing an accident they had 2 cruisers and an SUV at. It wasn't a bad accident but I guess they didn't have a lot to do and the snow made things more difficult for everyone.

They're also used to shove disabled vehicles out of the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

buttcrackmenace posted:

A thought. What happens when an attempt is made to PIT a modern car with stability control, traction control and other driver aids?

Unsurprisingly it's been studied!

https://policedriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PIT_ResearchBrief_FINAL_09212015.pdf

It's actually a pretty interesting read, but the tl;dr:

quote:

In sum, this study supports that there are differences between conducting a PIT on a car with electronic stability control (ESC) compared to one without. During the main portion of the study, the subject car with ESC (2011 Chevy Caprice) did not pose a serious safety risk to the people in either vehicle.

The most prominent differences found were a greater occurrence of secondary impacts and less consistency in vehicle responses, such as whether the car would PIT successfully, the rotation of the car, and the widthof the PIT.

At many of the speeds, the car with ESC had a larger range of outcomes compared to the car without ESC, which had a significantly greater amount of consistency in vehicle responses.

Overall, the study found that utilizing extra steering or acceleration was not a necessity for conducting a successful PIT on the car with ESC. The findings indicate that the PIT maneuver is still very much a finesse technique, and this may be even more the case with cars equipped with ESC.

This study did not find using aggressive steering or acceleration to be necessary and in some cases it may lead to more secondary contact situations. Too much acceleration can also move the contact car up into the side of the subject vehicle, increasing the likelihood of contact at the doors.

Drivers of the contact vehicles need to be ready to tap the brakes to allow separation of PIT’s with ESC equipped vehicles. At higher speeds (such as 45mph), the driver may need to utilize braking and steering immediately after a PIT to avoid contact.

The findings also indicate that further systematic research into the interactions of electronic stability control systems on pursuit intervention techniques would be of value to ensure effective technique and safety as vehicle technology evolves.

Although this particular study did not thoroughly explore the impact of various ESC settings, the exploratory vehicle runs did reveal that the sensitivity of the setting can make a difference in how vehicles respond to the PIT.

Further research into the range of ESC settings used by manufacturers and the impact of various ESC setting on the PIT maneuver may be beneficial for law enforcement and car manufacturers