Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zamujasa posted:

Video game crash of 2018

This article is about the Tesla crash caused by Atari video games. For the industry crash caused by Atari video games, see Video game crash of 1983.

megalomarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

Video game crash of 2018

This article is about the Tesla crash caused by Atari video games. For the industry crash caused by Atari video games, see Video game crash of 1983.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FMguru posted:

i think i read that theres a point in the novel where even the characters comment on how similar their situation is to the last starfighter

:imunfunny:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
cline couldn't pass up an 80s namedrop if his life depended on it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

it's...it's just the scene from Say Anything. There's no introspection, no interpretation. it's just a loving cut and paste

yes, that's what the entire book is. it's just "remember this thing? that was a thing. and remember this other thing? that was a thing too. oh and the same year as those things, remember this other thing? that also was a thing."

it's not even the really obscure stuff you'd think it is either. it's poo poo like "i named my ship Millennium Falcon, after Han Solo's ship from Star Wars"

https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/971208968323280896?lang=en

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ready player one, film and novel, are art in the way something like birth of a nation is -- in this case because it captures the nostalgia-lust of our era, not because of anything about the actual film itself

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
(f)art

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

pokemon go at 80mph into a concrete wall
Turn left Pikachu!! Noo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Zamujasa posted:

Video game crash of 2018

:jeb:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zamujasa posted:

Video game crash of 2018

hah

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:classiclol:

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

idgi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

somebody paid $75,000 for that and thinks they have a luxury car

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the flashing at the top looks way shittier than anything on my six year old $24k car

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

that looks like a 20x scale replica of a hot wheels car i could get at wal mart

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonny 290 posted:

lol owned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

don't post this in the ev thread, they think that a luxury car is either (1) any expensive car or (2) a car that the manufacturer tells you is a luxury car

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
coworker just got his model 3 and seems pretty happy with it, it seems to be working so far. i think he waited 3 years. i haven't seen it yet but i will ask about it tomorrow. it will be interesting for me as i have not seen one in person yet and just seen the internet hate.

fit and finish can't be any worse than my lotus which was assembled by bitter bitter bitter union brits in hethel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

don't post this in the ev thread, they think that a luxury car is either (1) any expensive car or (2) a car that the manufacturer tells you is a luxury car

maserati is going to loving die now that tesla has cornered the 'knows nothing about cars, has a lot of money and wants to spend it all on a vehicle that's not remotely worth it' market

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

maserati is going to loving die now that tesla has cornered the 'knows nothing about cars, has a lot of money and wants to spend it all on a vehicle that's not remotely worth it' market

do Teslas get up to 185

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

also the adderall fueled "newer is better" attitude that flows throughout the tech crowd like a disease

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
teslas are notoriously lovely at high sustained speeds. they are not performance vehicles. they are cars for people that think that the ability to cut off 12 cars on an offramp is a 'supercar' thing. they fall over and die if they live in triple digit speeds. i will straight up challenge any model s or 3 on an open road run with my BMW that's old enough to buy alcohol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and i'll get 26mpg the whole loving time

my car gets better mileage at 100mph than at 80

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

this is exactly how i've always felt about maserati too, glad to know someone shares my opinion

"i don't know, or care to know, anything at all about cars, but whatever i buy had better be as expensive as a ferrari"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i drive a prius lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there have been several cases where a car publication has put a tesla on a racetrack to see how it stacks up, and inevitably the cars go into emergency battery cooling power-cut mode before they've even finished a single lap

if you do a ludicrous mode launch, which genuinely will get you up to 60mph in 2.5 seconds, you can't do it again for 10 minutes because the battery contactors need to cool down

in everything except a single brief spurt of juice followed by extensive recuperation, teslas are inferior to the competition

like elon

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Last Chance posted:

i drive a prius lol

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

ive made peace with it. its ok.

i mean the car's never gave me a single bit of grief in seven years except for changing the 12v and the tires

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

coworker just got his model 3 and seems pretty happy with it,

oh for sure

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

ask him if you can check for glue fillings in the batteries

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

in everything except a single brief spurt of juice followed by extensive recuperation, teslas are inferior to the competition

ironically because of their best in class battery management system, which is the one and only place they could claim to be ahead of anyone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I won't hate on a prius. It's kammback as gently caress and they're fine city cars.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the leaf, comparatively, loving sucks and the battery loses something like 30% capacity in the first year or so, because they don't manage the thermals at all.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i thought you were joking but it throttles in under 3 minutes holy poo poo lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJT4OtufDss

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

the leaf, comparatively, loving sucks and the battery loses something like 30% capacity in the first year or so, because they don't manage the thermals at all.

the leaf is the other extreme of the spectrum. you're right with the battery pack issues, but you gotta admire the Georgia Situation

for a while, many southern states, most notably GA, offered tax credits that totaled out to $250 a month if you bought a qualifying EV. Nissan was dumping Leafs on lease at $199 a month. So all these grizzled rear end peanut farmers in Georgia rural areas leased Leafs just thinking they were pulling a fast one on the government, then actually got in and drove it around, and realized they loving loved them for short in town trips and bopping around the farm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i once passed a first-generation leaf (max range when new: 84 miles) halfway down mines road, which is a remote 80-mile long road that runs through a bunch of ranchland between san jose and livermore. there is literally nothing along the way except ranches, one motorcycle cafe (no gas or chargers), and the lick observatory

i still wonder sometimes if they made it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i thought you were joking but it throttles in under 3 minutes holy poo poo lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJT4OtufDss

lomarfio 10+ minutes

a good time around that track for a modern $100,000+ supercar is around 7:00 to 7:20. a porsche cayenne turbo suv will come in around the 8 minute mark, and even something like a civic type R will do it in under 9:00. the fastest time around the track for any car, as of today, is 5:19 for a porsche le mans prototype.

10 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
isnt it like 4850 pounds or something stupid lmao