Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Claire's gun is a revolver, and in the Resident Evil universe, revolver = magnum = Fist of God. Claire's campaign is going to be the easy mode version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
That's not always the case - indeed the one example I can think of that explicitly goes against this premise is the Colt SAA in RE2 which inexplicably fires 9mm handgun ammo. Claire with a revolver could throwback to that alternative handgun.

Alternatively it's early promo art with the express purpose of building hype and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

codo27 posted:

Leon's pistol looks very faithful though. I've seen that headshots are anything but a sure kill, but I wonder will you be able to kill everything now reasonably easy now that you can easily headshot.
Probably about as easy to kill the basic zombies with headshots as it was in RE6, but without any of the ammo-saving John Woo-inspired "jumping roundhouse into triple spin-kick" follow-up melee options. I don't think I'll be wasting my time trying to headshot Lickers as they leap and crawl around on every surface available though, I doubt they'll be as placid/dumb as they were in RE5 and expose their weakpoint every three seconds.

Backhand posted:

Claire's gun is a revolver, and in the Resident Evil universe, revolver = magnum = Fist of God. Claire's campaign is going to be the easy mode version.
Nope. There's the Colt S.A.A. from the original RE2. Oddly enough, that was also Claire's weapon and not at all some sort of game-winning wunderwaffe. It was actually pretty poo poo for damage and only fired fast/looked cool.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The four legged molded were pain in the rear end in RE7 and I can only imagine Lickers being worse.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I remember right those molded die in one or two headshots from a handgun even on madhouse so they're not so bad

I felt kind of silly when I realised because I had been wasting shotgun ammo on them

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

The four legged molded were pain in the rear end in RE7 and I can only imagine Lickers being worse.

Help Im Alive posted:

If I remember right those molded die in one or two headshots from a handgun even on madhouse so they're not so bad

I felt kind of silly when I realised because I had been wasting shotgun ammo on them

They were only a pain because the gunplay and moving around while trying to aim often just felt so loving clumsy, at least that's how it felt to me. I mean alright sure, maybe playing RE7 off the back of Doom 2016 didn't help matters at all when it came to shooting things, but god drat Ethan's ineptitude with firearms makes Silent Hill's own firearm chump Harry Mason look like Chris Redfield.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Huh, was he inept with firearms? How do you mean? I don't remember anything too horribly egregious...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Creamed Cormp posted:

sure looks like a 638 on the cover though

maybe she gets 2 different revolvers then?

I completely missed they revealed the cover art. Whelp. Yeah that's a 638.

Kind of really weird they have that on there. The belt rig she has on still has the full sized duty holster on it but it looks empty? Story-wise it might make sense, since it could just be her personal concealed carry weapon that she had on her when she rode into town, and maybe she picked up a dead officer's belt rig so she can carry around useful stuff? But it'd be weird to have an empty holster for some of the game until she gets another pistol to actually fill it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Backhand posted:

Huh, was he inept with firearms? How do you mean? I don't remember anything too horribly egregious...
Harry? I'm just picking holes in things really because it's down to nothing more than the different ways RE and SH were designed to deal with combat. In RE you'd generally hit your targets without issue as long as you were pointing the business end of the gun in their direction (wonky hit detection regarding a jumping Hunter aside), whereas in SH it's possible to fluff basic shots through no real fault of your own.

Edit:
There's nothing in RE7 suggesting Ethan's an idiot with firearms either, it's just that he's not Doomguy the game itself isn't really geared towards the usual FPS approach of just blasting everything that moves with pinpoint accuracy while maintaining your own high-speed moves at the same time. Basically you can't just go around circle-strafing Molded because the game isn't designed for that sort of thing :v:

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 2, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Capcom is saying they are interested in making more remakes after RE2.

Considering their track record in that category so far, this is not a bad thing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Remaking Resident Evil 3 wouldn't be too much extra work since they shared a lot of the setting. I can imagine they would want to remake 4 at some point. That's an incredibly popular game and the hype would be absolutely enormous.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
An RE4 remake would be such an insanely difficult needle to thread. I want to see it, but I also don't.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Toaster Beef posted:

An RE4 remake would be such an insanely difficult needle to thread. I want to see it, but I also don't.

RE4 is the kind of game that's just as fun to play today as it was fourteen years ago, and with the various HD rereleases it doesn't even look *that* bad. I just can't see a remake succeeding, considering it's pretty much already perfect.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RE4 absolutely does not need a remake unless they decide to just uprez it with new graphics, but even then I'd say "don't waste your time." It's probably one of the most ported titles ever (13 or 14 different platforms iirc) at this point.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Remaking Resident Evil 3 wouldn't be too much extra work since they shared a lot of the setting. I can imagine they would want to remake 4 at some point. That's an incredibly popular game and the hype would be absolutely enormous.

idk if it would be possible or advisable but if RE3make was a thing going forward, I'd suggest using RE2make assets to hasten development since it takes place around the same locales anyway.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Capcom is saying they are interested in making more remakes after RE2.

Considering their track record in that category so far, this is not a bad thing.

A remake of the first Onimusha would be something grand.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

RE4 is the kind of game that's just as fun to play today as it was fourteen years ago, and with the various HD rereleases it doesn't even look *that* bad. I just can't see a remake succeeding, considering it's pretty much already perfect.

I hated the instant death quicktime events. And they were freaking everywhere.

That is literally my only complaint for the entire game, though.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Heck playing RE4 isnt too far from REmake 2 even today based on what we've seen. Your best defence is still to stand your ground and take careful well aimed shots or run away.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

A remake of the first Onimusha would be something grand.

Given the response to Nioh I wouldn't be surprised if that was put on the table at some point lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the only thing I'd want to see out of a remaster is the ability to play as the mercenaries characters in the main game.

really I just want to see Wesker tiger palm Dr. Salvador into a wall

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Toaster Beef posted:

What could even be done with an RE4make that changes it up? it was pretty out there anyway.
The shooting was brand new and everyone's copied it endlessly,the graphics have been hd-ified to hell and back.

I guess more clever enemies would be good but not enough for an entire remake.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe they could come up with a less clunky system like four did for the first three,

I wouldn’t hold my breath though.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Remake Outbreak but for the PC and consoles with better online support :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'd love a remake of CVX as that game just looks horrible even with the HD remaster. Also it has a load of tedious stuff that just drags it down.

Keep the knife exactly as it is though :black101:

Oh also I really hope Viewtiful Joe 1-2 get a rerelease, been playing them on Dolphin recently and man they are still a lot of fun!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

They should do de-makes.

Turn RE7 into a fixed camera game like RE2, turn RE4 into a lightgun game where you shoot salazars right hand off.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

What could even be done with an RE4make that changes it up? it was pretty out there anyway.
The shooting was brand new and everyone's copied it endlessly,the graphics have been hd-ified to hell and back.

I guess more clever enemies would be good but not enough for an entire remake.
Ghosts. Ghosts are what's missing from RE4.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can we change ghost to psychics? i feel like ghosts are too far,i'd like a psychic themed RE game,Basically i want a fixed camera Akira RPG.

Can one of you get on that? Thanks x

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Can we change ghost to psychics? i feel like ghosts are too far,i'd like a psychic themed RE game,Basically i want a fixed camera Akira RPG.

Can one of you get on that? Thanks x

Look up Galerians but, uh, maybe never actually play it.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 3, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That weird beta version of Resident Evil 4 is still floating around where they decided that they'd do ghosts instead of zombies. I think all that came of it in the final version were when knight armors were infected by Las Plagas in the Castle area, and a short subsection of the castle where you played as Ashley trying to avoid them with no way to attack back. It was like half Resident Evil and half Fatal Frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5kwX0LZAc

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Look up Galerians but, uh, maybe never actually play it.

yeah i remember seeing that game in magazines when i was a kid,never looked great even back then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I consider it on the same level as Drakengard, an interesting and unique game that not very fun to play.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DeadButDelicious posted:

Remake Outbreak but for the PC and consoles with better online support :colbert:

Residenteviloutbreak.com is on hold by Capcom, residentevil3.com is not, so theres hope friend :shobon:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

RealFoxy posted:

That weird beta version of Resident Evil 4 is still floating around where they decided that they'd do ghosts instead of zombies. I think all that came of it in the final version were when knight armors were infected by Las Plagas in the Castle area, and a short subsection of the castle where you played as Ashley trying to avoid them with no way to attack back. It was like half Resident Evil and half Fatal Frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5kwX0LZAc

Did the Beta idea with the ghosts/hookman eventually get reworked into Evil Within? Or is that just ‘being a Shinji Mikami project’?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did the Beta idea with the ghosts/hookman eventually get reworked into Evil Within? Or is that just ‘being a Shinji Mikami project’?
Don't know if it was directly, but he had a lot of broad ideas for a lot of different types of games so I can see him reusing early RE4 for The Evil Within. Either way, he still inspired a whole genre on his own and at his peak, he had a lot of really cool ideas for games.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

re4 with ghosts wasn't the only tech demo they made,there were 2 or 3 others,from what i can remember one was a trailer where leon gets chased by a hook handed man wearing a gasmask and another was a more traditional fixed camera thing with leon walking around umbrella labs.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

was a more traditional fixed camera thing with leon walking around umbrella labs.

Pics or it didn't happen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Don't forget the versions of RE4 that became Haunting Ground, Devil May Cry and God Hand

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Cancelled_projects

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

codo27 posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

I can't find the screenshots but I believe they're referring to the very very early footage where Leon is on an airship attempting to reach the "Paris facility" (the place Claire gets captured in Code Veronica's intro though this is of course after all that happens), but IIRC there's maybe like ten seconds of footage of this and no one posts it anymore because folks just throw up the mansion footage. That mansion and what I'm describing would have been in the same game though.

IIRC there were never supposed to be "real" ghosts though, and that instead Leon was infected with something making him hallucinate stuff. You still see a remnant of how this was shown in those earliest bits in the released RE4 - the brief nightmare he has after beating Del Lago where black goo suddenly starts running through his veins.

EDIT:

Found a thumbnail next to someone's attempt to recreate it in RE4's engine:

I don't know if I'd mind an RE4 remake, but it'd have to be like a Resident Evil 1 to Resident Evil 1 Remake level jump otherwise it will be kind of pointless.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the airship data is on the gamecube demo disc of 4, turns out it was just gonna be a single room, i think it was originally how leon goes from castle to island, or island to castle, originally the island was attacked by H.C.F & Wesker which is how leon gets infected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

codo27 posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

I remember reading it in Psm2 when they did a preview of resident evil 4.
Everybody's seen RE with ghosts but the other ones weren't seen by the public.