Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s ok. I think it suffers for having a ridiculously small cast.

EDIT: I should probably give it a relisten. I’ve just looked at the TARDISwiki entry for it and there’s loads of people in it. I only remember the Doctor, Evelyn, and the Rochesters (and Briggs, obvs).

I found it compelling as hell for some reason. Like, when people talk about not being able to stop themselves from shotgunning The War Games, I’m assuming this is what it feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just finished Angels Take Manhattan and I just wanna say Fuuuuuck You Moffat. I admit that I got kind of tired of Amy and Rory near the end of their run but that was a pretty nasty rug pull there at the end. And while I generally enjoyed this edpisode I really wish the Angels had been a one and done in Blink.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still say if Amy and Rory had ended their run with season 6 or their brief appearance in The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe it would have been a far, far better ending AND had the benefit of giving the Clara/11 friendship more time to develop.

Making their last shot them celebrating with their daughter the news that the Doctor had survived, or them inviting him in to Christmas dinner would have been just right. I loved both the actors and the characters but they stuck around too long.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 3, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I still say if Amy and Rory had ended their run with season 6 or their brief appearance in The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe it would have been a far, far better ending AND had the benefit of giving the Clara/11 friendship more time to develop.

Making their last shot them celebrating with their daughter the news that the Doctor had survived, or them inviting him in to Christmas dinner would have been just right. I loved both the actors and the characters but they stuck around too long.

Yeah, it probably would have been better.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Interesting fact: Clara appears as the Doctor's companion for 34 episodes, the most of any companion since Tegan. I got bored.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've bitched enough about how Amy and Rory left (it was way too writerly fiat, etc etc). Instead I want to focus on how the Angels kept chasing poor Rory after he founded the Time Bureau
https://twitter.com/RattyBurvil/status/901162852131758080

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress's sake even the slow invasion would have been a fine enough send off for them. But I for sure think the first half of season 7 would have benefited from rotating guest companionship and focusing on his need to have a steady companion again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fezzes are cool.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I just finished Angels Take Manhattan and I just wanna say Fuuuuuck You Moffat. I admit that I got kind of tired of Amy and Rory near the end of their run but that was a pretty nasty rug pull there at the end. And while I generally enjoyed this edpisode I really wish the Angels had been a one and done in Blink.

The unfilmed epilogue to the episode with Rorys dad would have helped it a lot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

I've bitched enough about how Amy and Rory left (it was way too writerly fiat, etc etc). Instead I want to focus on how the Angels kept chasing poor Rory after he founded the Time Bureau
https://twitter.com/RattyBurvil/status/901162852131758080

I'm SO CLOSE to starting LoT. I've got three episodes of Arrow and the Flash to get through until the pilot episode.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Edward Mass posted:

I'm SO CLOSE to starting LoT. I've got three episodes of Arrow and the Flash to get through until the pilot episode.

Is there a map or timeline of some kind I can refer to for those shows? Because the only reason I haven't started watching them is because I have no idea what order to do it in.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

Warning - the first season with Hawkman/Hawkwoman is iffy and all but carried on the back of Wentworth Miller. The second and third seasons however are an absolute blast.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You can just watch LoT, it's by far the best of the three shows and most of the characters' deals are explained within it anyway. You kind of pick it up from context.

Also, it's absolutely "Arthur Darvill plays the Doctor" to some extent, which is really fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Android Blues posted:

You can just watch LoT, it's by far the best of the three shows and most of the characters' deals are explained within it anyway. You kind of pick it up from context.

Also, it's absolutely "Arthur Darvill plays the Doctor" to some extent, which is really fun.

Yeah, but Supergirl's getting a trans superhero, I've liked what I've seen of The Flash, and John Barrowman and Alex Kingston are in Arrow.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cleretic posted:

Is there a map or timeline of some kind I can refer to for those shows? Because the only reason I haven't started watching them is because I have no idea what order to do it in.

Arrow > Flash > Legends. Supergirl premiered the same season as Legends, but it's in its own universe. Watching the earlier shows isn't super important for Legends, but pretty much all the leads are introduced in the Arrow and Flash, plus it makes the crossovers matter more if you're familiar with the entire multiverse, and last year's big crossover might be my most favorite superhero anything. Then again, watching three seasons of Arrow and two of Flash just to get to Legends is a lot of tv, but they are the good seasons so :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alex Kingston is in like, 14 minutes of Arrow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Whereas John B. Arrowman is almost in too much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You shut your goddamned whore mouth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like him but I think the love of the actor meant they started to do silly things with his character just to keep him around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

You shut your goddamned whore mouth.

Yeah, I mean, he used to be Ra's al-Ghul.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rhyno posted:

Alex Kingston is in like, 14 minutes of Arrow.

And sucks, mostly because of lovely soap opera writing. I didn't understand why anyone gave a poo poo about Alex Kingston until I finally got into Doctor Who.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

just like doctor who!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anyone listened to any of the Star Trek audio books Big Finish put out?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

just like doctor who!

He’s in like 4 episodes. Now if you’re including torch wood in that maybe...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From the No Man's Sky thread:

theblackw0lf posted:

Exterminate!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Season 11 wrapped. Still no air date:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1025441237434859521

Still have yet to film the Christmas special.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

To do 10 eps before Dec 25, the latest it could air is Oct 16.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I suddenly had the thought of the Xmas special actually being in the middle of a season, like, episode 8 or so, and the rest of the season wrapped around it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I suddenly had the thought of the Xmas special actually being in the middle of a season, like, episode 8 or so, and the rest of the season wrapped around it.

They could even do one smack in the middle of a massive multi-part Dalek story :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
My guess is a premiere date on September 22nd.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bicyclops posted:

They could even do one smack in the middle of a massive multi-part Dalek story :v:

WE WISH YOU A MER-RY EX-TER-MI-NA-TUS AND A HAP-PY RE-GEN

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vinylshadow posted:

WE WISH YOU A MER-RY EX-TER-MI-NA-TUS AND A HAP-PY RE-GEN

WE ARE THE DA-LEKS WOULD YOU LIKE TO HEAR OUR SONG

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is kind of a shame that no matter how many lost episodes they find, we can be virtually 100 percent positive that the very first Doctor Who Cbristmas special is lost forever, and we will only ever be able to hear the audio, even if, honestly, it's not a particularly good episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

even if, honestly, it's not a particularly good episode.

Sounds like it lines up perfectly with all the other Christmas specials

Fight me

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, A Christmas Carol, Last Christmas and The Husbands of River Song are pretty good IMO.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bicyclops posted:

That’s precisely it and it was leaked.

https://www.staggeringstories.net/mrdalekdiscoversthetruemeaningofchristmas.html

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

September is going to be an extremely busy time for me so you can practically guarantee that is when the show will start airing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My son is going to be born in like a week at the latest and for some reason it's making me really want to rewatch New Who

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Cleretic posted:

Here, I use this one.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls074499769/

Despite what everyone here is saying, I think all of these shows have moments that make them worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

My son is going to be born in like a week at the latest and for some reason it's making me really want to rewatch New Who

Congrats in advance, think of all that Doctor Who your kid has yet to watch!

• Locked thread