Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I used to joke that Butterscotch was kind of a warm-up for being a parent.

I was totally wrong.

Having now been the father of an infant for 3 months, Butterscotch is harder.

Ever since the little one came in, he's been in full velcro mode. If I'm in the house, standing or sitting, he's always right the gently caress there. And now the pre-meal symphony begins roughly 2 hours before feeds. It's all manageable but he's also gotten a lot more aggressive with our other (much better behaved) cat. I'm actually considering medication. He seems super anxious, all the time. Like, it's not just cuddles, I'm worried he's feeling scared or something. It certainly won't get better as the baby turns into a grabby toddler. Don't know if any of y'all have any experience with drugging your cats beyond catnip, but I've heard it can be a decent option. Feedback is appreciated.

In the meantime, we tried to help make him feel better by giving him one of the baby's bows as a tie. Did it help? You be the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Do you use feliway at the moment? I've heard good things and it's easier than pilling him.

Failing that, there's a couple of cats in the yospos cat thread taking meds, and they seem to be doing OK.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I've tried it, no help.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

tarbrush posted:

Do you use feliway at the moment? I've heard good things and it's easier than pilling him.

Failing that, there's a couple of cats in the yospos cat thread taking meds, and they seem to be doing OK.

Yeah I was just about to suggest feliway. That stuff worked within days for my jerks. It’s $ but worth a try before meds. Also, meds aren’t necessarily gonna work, just like in humans. They usually give them Prozac, at least around here. And please do not give them benzodiazepines ever.

E: my post posted as soon as you posted your reply

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah I was just about to suggest feliway. That stuff worked within days for my jerks. It’s $ but worth a try before meds. Also, meds aren’t necessarily gonna work, just like in humans. They usually give them Prozac, at least around here. And please do not give them benzodiazepines ever.

E: my post posted as soon as you posted your reply

Are benzos notoriously bad? In doing some minor research, they seemed like they might be the right fit. What's wrong with them?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I’m just weary about meds cause Prozac gave me personally ulcers and did jack poo poo for my emotional cat. Maybe I’m being too forward about it but maybe also you could just give a poo poo ton of attention? I was just talking to some coworker who was like, “oh my sister had to give up her cat cause of the new baby” and that’s not cool at all.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Chili posted:

Are benzos notoriously bad? In doing some minor research, they seemed like they might be the right fit. What's wrong with them?

Horrifically addictive and withdrawal is also horrific; also (at least humans, dunno about cattes) can die from withdrawals from seizures and other stuff. They’re fine if you take them like, once a month or whatever for panic attacks but otherwise no no no no no (this is from someone who was in that situation btw)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

We have a friend who gives her cat either Prozac or Valium (I can't remember which) via a cream she rubs into her cat's ears, as prepared by a local compounding pharmacy. It's worked pretty well for calming down an anxious cat and seems to have helped with cat aggression, too. I'd definitely pursue meds as an option; they may not work, but they're worth a try.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

We have a friend who gives her cat either Prozac or Valium (I can't remember which) via a cream she rubs into her cat's ears, as prepared by a local compounding pharmacy. It's worked pretty well for calming down an anxious cat and seems to have helped with cat aggression, too. I'd definitely pursue meds as an option; they may not work, but they're worth a try.

I did this with a cat that wouldn't use her box reliably no matter what I did (including giving her two of her own in her own private room). It seemed to help for a while, but eventually it stopped working. We tried a few different medications but none of them lasted.

Maybe worth a try, but I'm hoping you can find a way to reassure him. Seems like he got a lot of Very Special Cat attention and he probably misses it. If he feels like he can communicate with you, it should at least help. I have a kind of needy orange cat who really likes me to follow him back to his special food bowl (I can get away with free-feeding, which helps a lot) and pet him for a bit while he eats. We do it a few times a day, and I feel like it seems to help him know he's got a place.

He's increased this behavior since I got a kitten. He likes and plays with her, but like Butters, he was the most special and broken thing in the house when he arrived (previous people abused him, the fucks). When kitten arrived, he wasn't the automatic first target of attention, and it's taken some adjustment.

I also find it helps a lot to have cat furniture near the computer, so that when I'm working or playing a game, there's a good place for cats who want to be close. He likes to hang out on a footstool next to me.

Sorry if all of this is obvious. You've done a great job with Butters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cerenia (the anti-hairball med) did wonders to fix my orange cat's weird paranoid streaks and resulting pissing matches. My vet suggested it because she saw it recommended as an off-label use on some goony vet forum.

As far as I can tell, the side effects are pretty minimal, and the pill is cheap and can be put into a Pill Pocket (which he loves).

He was never clingy or anything, though.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Antivehicular posted:

Prozac is an SSRI and Valium is a benzo —so completelyyy different types of drugs— and missing a dose of a benzo is probably gonna make your cat nuts from anxiety or worse (as me from experience!)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

I’m just weary about meds cause Prozac gave me personally ulcers and did jack poo poo for my emotional cat. Maybe I’m being too forward about it but maybe also you could just give a poo poo ton of attention? I was just talking to some coworker who was like, “oh my sister had to give up her cat cause of the new baby” and that’s not cool at all.

Not too forward, but a little judgemental. You don't know how much time, effort, love and care I've put into that cat. It's also kind of lovely that you're even bringing up some totally out of left field story about a person giving up their cat when they had a new baby. Didn't say I was gonna do that, and it's not my plan.

I hear the valid concerns about specific types and I'll definitely talk about then with my vet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Don't worry Chili, I don't think anyone was implying that in your direction pal.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm in the mental health field so I'm fully aware of the dynamic of Benzos in people. I guess shouldn't be too surprised about the volatile reaction in cats but I just assumed the chemistry could be super different. Anyhow, that specific route is not likely the one I'll take. I just got off the phone with my vet's assitant. They love Butterscotch over there, because of course they do, and they're gonna bring me in for a long consultation and try to get to the bottom of this.They're pretty convinced that his change in behavior is environmental, but they mentioned that health concerns are always a sneaky possibility with cats so we'll figure something out.

Just like I advise my clients, medications are a tool. Not a fix-all and not the worst thing in the world. They may work, they may not. I'm sorry if I was snotty in my last post, but thanks to all for sharing your various experiences. You've given me a lot to consider.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its natural man, things you care about are uncomfortable and you are concerned. Sometimes when you are already stressed about a problem things just rub you the wrong way whether intentional or not. we got yer back bruh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chili posted:

Just like I advise my clients, medications are a tool. Not a fix-all and not the worst thing in the world. They may work, they may not. I'm sorry if I was snotty in my last post, but thanks to all for sharing your various experiences. You've given me a lot to consider.

Seconding this. I use an anti-anxiety med for my dog when I need to kennel him so I can leave the house without him, and migod, it makes a world of difference...but with the caveat that he's still anxious, he's still very concerned, etc. It's the difference between a dog insane with anxiety and a messed up kennel and an anxious dog who will be okay as long as I get home.

Not a cure all, but helpful. I hope you find something that'll work for Butters/that your vets can figure this out!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My cat had a paradoxical reaction to Valium. I did a test run at home as my vet recommended, and she was fine, just sleepy. But when I got her in the carrier for the long car trip she flipped the gently caress out and writhed and panicked the whole day and into the night. Apparently, that's a not-unheard-of side effect when you medicate a severely stressed cat. I doubt it would happen to Butters considering you'd be using it at home, but just one more thing to look out for if you do go the drugs route.

I don't know anyone who uses anti-depressants in cats, but they've helped my MIL's psycho dog.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
As frustrating as the situation can be, at least it's sometimes cute:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Chili posted:

Not too forward, but a little judgemental. You don't know how much time, effort, love and care I've put into that cat. It's also kind of lovely that you're even bringing up some totally out of left field story about a person giving up their cat when they had a new baby. Didn't say I was gonna do that, and it's not my plan.

I hear the valid concerns about specific types and I'll definitely talk about then with my vet.

Eep, I just read my post back and I totally sounded like an rear end in a top hat. I had just woken up but that’s not really an excuse. Regardless, I’m sorry :(

Tell Butters I’m sorry and please pet him for me. Pet the baby too.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Regarding pre-meal complaints, the thing that has done wonders for me is getting one of those rotating timed auto feeder things. I have it dispense food when I'm not around, which means the pairing of me + feeding is extinguished, and my idiot doesn't beg as much. It also is great for portioning out food. The only problem with the cheap $20 one I got is that you set it up for 6 portions in advance, and my cat figured out how to open the thing blocking the 6th chamber before the thing does its first rotation. So I just fill that one in later. I also put a couple little hand weights on the top so he can't pry it open.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
A familiar story: https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/obese-shelter-cat-bronson-weight-loss-journey

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their other cat is named Gwildor. That’s great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Good stress tester for their cat furniture business.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Look at those thumbs!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

Eep, I just read my post back and I totally sounded like an rear end in a top hat. I had just woken up but that’s not really an excuse. Regardless, I’m sorry :(

Tell Butters I’m sorry and please pet him for me. Pet the baby too.

No problem, I got a little defensive. I'm being pulled in a bunch of directions nowadays. We're all good!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Hot tips for introducing a 9 week old kitten to a somewhat fractious adult cat? It's something fosters deal with a lot so I figure we got experts here.

The kitten, Tuesday, isn't at all timid but she's gonna remain mostly separate until her deworming is finished. She has played happily with other cats before we adopted her. Her bad point is screaming like she's being murdered if her ambushes of other cats go awry.

My big girl, Gizmo, hasn't had a cat friend before. She's a little attitudinal but her reactivity and sociability has improved big time since we adopted her around the new year. She wants to play almost all the time despite being almost 5. She would really benefit from a buddy.

Tonight is night three. I've been feeding them on opposite sides of a door and they haven't had direct contact. Gizmo has seen Tuesday a few times -- I think she hissed once. I've let her sniff some of Tuesday's things. I've also been making use of a pheromone spray and spending extra time with Gizmo so she doesn't feel like she's missing out. Lots of treats and cuddles and playtime. I feel like taking it slow is pretty Important here but it's been a long time since I had to do an intro.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Maybe you can put treats on each side of the door so they associate treats with the smell of the other cat?

Food is probably enough, though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kittens and cats are usually super easy, you seem to be doing everything correctly, then you just introduce a bit of supervised play, you are just going to watch the older ones for signs of hostility, if the older cat starts grooming the lil bugger you are usually golden. make sure to give a bunch of extra attention to the older one so that they feel secure.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Maybe you can put treats on each side of the door so they associate treats with the smell of the other cat?

Food is probably enough, though.

Seconding this! I kept on thinking of all the things to tell you, only to see that you're doing all of them already. when you do decide to do an introduction, consider the most neutral place possible. Perhaps a place where your big cat doesn't spend a lot of their time. Also, when you do the introduction, your cats will likely be a little stressed. Don't contribute to that. The best thing you can do is be present and aware in the situation, but only in the peripheral. So like, bring in a book with you that you can pretend you're focusing on or something, while you watch the situation like a hawk... in your peripheries .

But, most importantly, understand that if they don't get along at first it's not because you did anything wrong. As I'm sure you know, cats are super temperamental. my two cats still have a hard time getting along, they probably just would never that compatible to begin with. But, hopefully, you have a good experience. And, since you're doing everything right, it's totally possible that you will!

Chili fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 3, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

And just to add to this. We had our first cat for about a year before we adopted #2. Did the slow introduction, blah blah blah - older cat (Elphaba) was not having any of it.
'Until they both had a vet appointment the same day. Took them both in, they were okay at the vets, got them home....and Elphy is grooming G'linda. Weirdest thing, but apparently the shared trauma of OHSPOOKYVETS helped her get over hating the new cat.

Now she just hates her because G'linda is a warm-seat-theif.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Siochain posted:

And just to add to this. We had our first cat for about a year before we adopted #2. Did the slow introduction, blah blah blah - older cat (Elphaba) was not having any of it.
'Until they both had a vet appointment the same day. Took them both in, they were okay at the vets, got them home....and Elphy is grooming G'linda. Weirdest thing, but apparently the shared trauma of OHSPOOKYVETS helped her get over hating the new cat.

Now she just hates her because G'linda is a warm-seat-theif.

That same thing happened to two of my cats, Buttercup and Leo. Buttercup hated Leo for several years, until a whole lot of poo poo went down and I had to pack up the cats and my valuables and leave for about two months, leaving all three cats with my Aunt. After the smoke cleared and we got them back home, they were cuddly and lovey all the time.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
So I should use the suspension bridge effect to make them like each other...

We've definitely been doing treats also so I guess keep your fingers crossed for us and the cats!

Thank you for the advice on their meeting space also. I hadn't considered that I might end up adding to their stress because I would've definitely been hovering like a helicopter parent. :shobon:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Chili posted:

I used to joke that Butterscotch was kind of a warm-up for being a parent.

I was totally wrong.

Having now been the father of an infant for 3 months, Butterscotch is harder.

Ever since the little one came in, he's been in full velcro mode. If I'm in the house, standing or sitting, he's always right the gently caress there. And now the pre-meal symphony begins roughly 2 hours before feeds. It's all manageable but he's also gotten a lot more aggressive with our other (much better behaved) cat. I'm actually considering medication. He seems super anxious, all the time. Like, it's not just cuddles, I'm worried he's feeling scared or something. It certainly won't get better as the baby turns into a grabby toddler. Don't know if any of y'all have any experience with drugging your cats beyond catnip, but I've heard it can be a decent option. Feedback is appreciated.

In the meantime, we tried to help make him feel better by giving him one of the baby's bows as a tie. Did it help? You be the judge.

Have you considered CBD? It's marijuana without THC so it doesn't make them high - medical marijuana. My cat, Hobbes, used to have a terrible time in the car. He was sick at the time with a thyroid issue and bladder infection, so we had to go to the vet a lot, and every time was a mess. He would pee, poop, cry, drool, shake and his heart would beat so fast I was scared I'd kill him - he was 13 at the time, with a heart murmur. I work at an animal supply store and had been selling a brand called Treatibles to people who had dogs with anxiety issues, arthritis and so on. Treatibles is CBD in treats, pills, and tinctures, all THC removed and dosed per pound. I gave Hobbes a dose in the form of a dog biscuit (cheapest option; had to basically pill him - he wasn't interested in a pumpkin dog treat) and it was like loving magic. He cried a bit, and his ears still reddened from the blood pumping into his little walnut head, but I didn't have to hand a poo poo-covered cat to my vet. Ever since then, even without a dose, he's been just as good - although I dosed him once as a preventative a year later in case his chillness wore off. The best part is you don't need a prescription, and it's pretty much unheard of for your pet to have a bad reaction unless they're allergic to the ingredients in the treat itself. They might sleep a bit more...though with a cat you probably wouldn't notice. I've had customers swear their separation anxiety-ridden dog stopped barking when they left, their 12-year-old was able to finally take a walk again, and it's a godsend for a pet going through cancer treatment. I was also finally able to brush a repeat customer (oh, Barkley) for the first time without him trying more than a lazy nibble.

There's a lot of similar products out there, too - certainly doesn't have to be Treatibles, just make sure they're testing for THC. It's really affordable so you don't have to dump a ton of money into something that might not work. I will say that it became our best-selling supplement in one month, far eclipsing Thunder Shirts and the like. We had multiple customers take their dog off Valium or Trazodone or what have you, and people who tried a sample bought the product an overwhelming proportion of the time. Also: 100% legal. Seriously cool poo poo, and I highly recommend it. Butters deserves only the best!

https://treatibles.com/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

porkswordonboard posted:

Have you considered CBD? It's marijuana without THC so it doesn't make them high - medical marijuana. My cat, Hobbes, used to have a terrible time in the car. He was sick at the time with a thyroid issue and bladder infection, so we had to go to the vet a lot, and every time was a mess. He would pee, poop, cry, drool, shake and his heart would beat so fast I was scared I'd kill him - he was 13 at the time, with a heart murmur. I work at an animal supply store and had been selling a brand called Treatibles to people who had dogs with anxiety issues, arthritis and so on. Treatibles is CBD in treats, pills, and tinctures, all THC removed and dosed per pound. I gave Hobbes a dose in the form of a dog biscuit (cheapest option; had to basically pill him - he wasn't interested in a pumpkin dog treat) and it was like loving magic. He cried a bit, and his ears still reddened from the blood pumping into his little walnut head, but I didn't have to hand a poo poo-covered cat to my vet. Ever since then, even without a dose, he's been just as good - although I dosed him once as a preventative a year later in case his chillness wore off. The best part is you don't need a prescription, and it's pretty much unheard of for your pet to have a bad reaction unless they're allergic to the ingredients in the treat itself. They might sleep a bit more...though with a cat you probably wouldn't notice. I've had customers swear their separation anxiety-ridden dog stopped barking when they left, their 12-year-old was able to finally take a walk again, and it's a godsend for a pet going through cancer treatment. I was also finally able to brush a repeat customer (oh, Barkley) for the first time without him trying more than a lazy nibble.

There's a lot of similar products out there, too - certainly doesn't have to be Treatibles, just make sure they're testing for THC. It's really affordable so you don't have to dump a ton of money into something that might not work. I will say that it became our best-selling supplement in one month, far eclipsing Thunder Shirts and the like. We had multiple customers take their dog off Valium or Trazodone or what have you, and people who tried a sample bought the product an overwhelming proportion of the time. Also: 100% legal. Seriously cool poo poo, and I highly recommend it. Butters deserves only the best!

https://treatibles.com/

Counterpoint - don't give your cat drugs from the internet that have absolutely no regulation or scientific evidence supporting their safety or efficacy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the Cat FAQ thread:

https://twitter.com/LAist/status/1025214182248079360

Also, update on Gizmo vs. The Stranger...

Their first interaction went pretty well! Gizmo is not at all sure we've made a good life decision, but she was Very Brave and carefully approached the Tuesday the kitten for sniffs. Pretty good body language considering how spooked she was: a little friendly upward curl to the tail, ears forward, no puffed fur, not super crouched, no crazy eyes.

e: kitten hit post in the middle of this post

We facilitated with treats, toys, and food so the little nerds wouldn't decide to go ham on each other. The kitten is way more distractable than Gizmo, but Gizmo is way more into treats, so it mostly worked. We did, however, hover like super weirdos so it was hard to break that off. Gizmo broke off from sniffing and decided she was done, no hissing at all, so we wrapped things up.

After, she hissed at me, then got offended that she'd hissed at me and hid upstairs for a while. (My fault, I was trying to pet her...) She came back later for cuddles.

The second meeting had a hiss which I think in retrospect was from Tuesday. The third also had a tiny Tuesday hiss. I confirmed that while Tuesday growls when she plays with toys, she only does it if other cats are around, which is hilarious.

Gizmo is still concerned, but she's been very good - no swatting or growling or aggressive posturing. We've been doing our best to give her a lot of extra love (and her space when she needs it).

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 6, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That feel when you want to adopt all the animals but you can only take care of one. :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Can't hug every cat. :sigh:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sure gonna try though!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Can't hug every cat. :sigh:

The gently caress I can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

The gently caress I can't

Please hug those cats for me. :shobon: