Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did a whole lot of cool fights already fall off this card or something? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Volkan and Gus were supposed to fight but it fell off due to Volkan breaking his nose

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You're not wrong

apparently it's very tough to not have a racist or otherwise gross past on twitter that you somehow forget to delete that later puts your entire career in jeopardy as often as it's happening now

If they wanted to post that poo poo they should have done it under a pseudonym they picked at 15 for posting on a lovely message board like Neurosis smh

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1025233303954018304

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I thought he was only coming back for big money fights - is that a big money fight?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Maybe he is almost broke. Not sure how many marijuana sponsorships he's still getting these days, and BJJ seminars only pay so much.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

that's pretty shrewd diazing, as that's one of like two top 10 lightweight fights i think he's the better style matchup in

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
So the roadmap looks like

Diaz V Poirier
Khabib V MacGregor

Winner of each facing each other down the road?

No matter how that goes, it's beautiful. :drat:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's gonna be a rad fight no doubt just figured he'd hold out for something bigger

Edit: Oh it's that card - now it makes complete sense

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

would like to congratulate Tony Ferguson on his 2nd interim title win later this year when he beats uhh Anthony Pettis

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

lol yeah the champ from a heavier better division should fight a no name contender in the lighter shittier division. thats how it works

that’s not how could and should work. dj definately should sign for it, but tj can take one fight, destroy Sergio pettis then not even do can dispute him getting the fight

poo poo dj could move up, beat dust cruz, and ask for a 135 shot if he wanted

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Rigel posted:

Referee authority after the final bell - In the rare case of a flagrant foul after the fight is over, if the inspectors from the AC have not yet re-entered the cage, then the ref can DQ a fighter.

Does anyone know which fight led to this rule change? This has gotta be a case of something crazy happened that they didn't know they needed a rule for until now.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

eshock posted:

Does anyone know which fight led to this rule change? This has gotta be a case of something crazy happened that they didn't know they needed a rule for until now.

The Conor McGregor jumping into the cage thing or maybe the guy in that z league promotion getting into a fight after the bell

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think DJ going up to 135 is inevitable, I also think despite being smaller than a fair few of those guys he's just so loving good that he'd probably be champ material, this is assuming he doesn't just retire into a life of video game sponsorships and xbox shilling or whatever. Codys super young but I wonder how much his game has improved, and if he's relying on just nailing TJ in the skull. I think TJ is definitely a much better rounded fighter but Codys impressive enough to make me wonder about them going at it again.

Nate vs DDP is a sick fight and I would watch the loving poo poo out of it. Like Dustin doesnt really have bad fights cos he's always aiming to finish and nate doesnt have bad fights because he never stops punching (or he loses in an entertaining fashion.) Refusing to get excited about it though for obvious reasons.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Dustin Poirier seems like as favorable a matchup as Nate is going to get at the top of the lightweight division so hats off to him on making this play.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Finally got around to watching the Stipe vs DC season of TUF and John Gunther is awesome. I'm glad he got a win in the finale recently because after watching his season I'm a big fan.

If only he was as good at fighting as he is at being an entertaining and interesting dude - he's Sage Northcutt levels of being likable

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

cool. that's the next best thing for dustin if he isn't getting the title shot.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Imo Dustin can beat almost anyone as long as people don’t poo poo talk him and get in his head like mcgregor and Johnson did, which makes the Diaz fight that much more compelling.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Nate’s probably going to gently caress Dustin up.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Could see Nate winning a grindy, bloody decision.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think Nate stops him inside 2 rounds

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
def a good match up for nate, poirier doesnt really try to wrestle or kick

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If both of the main fights on that card hold it'll probably be the biggest numbers ever, right?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

If the main is Khabib vs Conor McGregor they're going to do gang busters on that thing. Maybe break UFC 202's numbers but they'll at least get close.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

Also likes to wear punches more than he should, particularly in the pocket. Dustin’s improvements have been really good, but I think Nate’s a bad matchup for him in most regards.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

DDP still sucks defensively, and he doesn’t have a the good footwork or kicking or wrestling to leverage against Nate. Great matchup for the 209 here

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think he has good footwork and alright defense. i just dont think he is gonna crack nates chin like he does to most guys

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

He wrestled the poo poo out of Joe Duffy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

outwrestling an irish guy doesn't count.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Nate's going to beat Dustin and then Conor's going to lose to khabib and we'll be left with the worst of all possible worlds.

https://streamable.com/ubahr

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 3, 2018

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Nate's going to beat Dustin and then Conor's going to lose to khabib and we'll be left with the worst of all possible worlds.

https://streamable.com/ubahr

Naw, Diaz vs anybody would sell imo.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah true but thats the worst match up and seemingly an easy win for khabib

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah true but thats the worst match up and seemingly an easy win for khabib

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

If Conor loses and Nate wins they will just make Nate vs Conor III and both dudes will make a truckload of money.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
for real tho i would watch any match ups between those 4 guys and it would be pretty sick, glad nate is back

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
throw cool tony in there too and we got some real sick match ups

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
The strife between Khabib and Diaz's crews could be entertaining

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I can honestly see a scenario where Nate wins and is rewarded with a Conor fight while Poirier gets a title shot against Khabib as a consolation prize.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I don't think Nate will want anything but a shot at Conor after a win, a title being on the line has never really seemed to matter to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Nick is going to show up and defend Nate's honor by slapping the poo poo out of Conor's entourage's caravan

• Locked thread