Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
cross posting, please help

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Does iOS support Wifi Direct AKA Wifi P2P?

i want to communicate with a gadget that uses Wifi Direct. i know ios supports it but how can i use the api??

MultipeerConnectivity only supports other apple devices AFAICT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ctps: copy constructors are hard so I just did clone() { return unserialize(seriallize(this)); }

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

cross posting, please help

i want to communicate with a gadget that uses Wifi Direct. i know ios supports it but how can i use the api??

MultipeerConnectivity only supports other apple devices AFAICT.

did you google it? I found multiple results that discuss using wifi direct in iOS.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

ctps: copy constructors are hard so I just did clone() { return unserialize(seriallize(this)); }

nice

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Finster Dexter posted:

did you google it? I found multiple results that discuss using wifi direct in iOS.

that’s only between ios devices using multipeerconnectivity framework :(

it can’t connect to my gadget.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
after a very quick google search, the top SO link had a comment pointing to this thread https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/12885

quote:

Note Just as an aside, you can access peer-to-peer Wi-Fi without using Multipeer Connectivity. The underlying technology is Bonjour + TCP/IP, and you can access that directly from your app. The WiTap sample code shows how.

you should read some links instead of... not.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1942/_index.html posted:

Important: The on-the-wire protocols used by this peer-to-peer networking are not documented for third-party use, so this technique only works between Apple devices.

gently caress you too timb

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm looking at low-latency video distribution, apparently ultra-low latency is 2-5s in video land with normal latency being ~30s. There are apparently different preferences for producer to :yayclod: and for :yayclod: to consumer, the former being things like RTMP which apparently has low overheads and presumably happy to drop things quickly. Consumer wise MPEG-DASH and HLS are for higher latencies, RTSP and WebRTC are for lower latencies, I guess the preference is no data-loss and just queueing up video instead of real-time adaptive playback. h264 on Chrome is odd in that they will only support it if the platform has hardware acceleration for encoding.

So I have a RTSP multicast feed I need to get into Chrome dotted across a single building. RTSP suggests consumers should be hanging immediately off it, although I'm not sure why that wouldn't be just RTP as media controls seem a bit redundant in a view-only model. As far as I can tell RTSP = RTP + media controls. Browsers have pretty much thrown out native plugins these days and alternatives such as NaCl & pNaCL are already dead whilst WASM is still limited to HTML 5 network connectivity. So a broker of some form is required, there are oodles of media servers that target high latency environments and so of no use, there is a niche of media gateways that simply unwrap RTSP to get the raw video and audio stream and allow you to repack into WebRTC: online education seems to be a popular market.

There appears to be a few options and I've seen implemented two, and completely unrelated to Epic Games, in one media broker call Unreal Media Server. You basically unwrap RTSP like the media gateway, Yanus appears the goto option, but then wrap into WebSockets or WebRTC to send to the consumer. I think you could be super odd and wrap into a WebRTC data channel to feed directly into Media Source Exensions (MSE) instead, thus avoiding any limitations on the codec negotiation within WebRTC.

It all sucks.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i wrote a video based cms around wowza media server and it worked good but i have no idea if it will check those boxes.

it worked well though and was reasonably priced

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

gonadic io posted:

https://cloud.google.com/knative/

Looks pretty sweet, server less functions but 1) run via docker so not limited to js and 2) runs in your own cluster so you don't pay per request or anything. im for sure going to find some way to squeeze it into my current jerk-off hobby project

how’s this related to serverless functions? I can’t tell what the gently caress this does from reading that page and I’ve used Kubernetes for a couple years

never mind I had to look at the GitHub repos to see what it does....

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

AWWNAW posted:

how’s this related to serverless functions? I can’t tell what the gently caress this does from reading that page and I’ve used Kubernetes for a couple years

never mind I had to look at the GitHub repos to see what it does....

I think it's just native support for k8s in google butt platform?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

they already have that and it’s called GKE

seems like this is tooling for rolling your own functions as a service type of thing with event/request plumbing but also some other vague buzz wordy poo poo

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

they already have that and it’s called GKE

seems like this is tooling for rolling your own functions as a service type of thing with event/request plumbing but also some other vague buzz wordy poo poo

all of the examples at https://github.com/knative/docs/tree/master/serving/samples that i can see just use a normal-rear end http framework to serve some poo poo in go/ruby/python/java/whatever in a docker container. doesnt sound very "functions as a service" to me if I have to use a normal http framework and poo poo still

idk what this does other than buzzwords. how is this different from regular kubernetes

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I guess it's mostly about scaling up and down pods as well as aggregating logging and load balancing?
idk there's also a bunch of stuff about event pipelines but that's separate to the bit about not managing any pods or servers

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

czech out this example https://github.com/knative/docs/tree/master/eventing/samples/event-flow

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
How can I apply that to my terrible app which is achieve some bespoke artisan handcrafted events system via database triggers

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i would just use rust

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no idea what that was a response to but i stand by it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
serverless is great for when you have a simple problem and want to turn it into a distributed systems problem

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
v. few people have properly internalised the first rule of distributed systems (i.e. "don't")

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

aws lambda is good for when you want to do something in response to an sqs message, an sns notification, a dynamodb stream event, a cloudwatch event or a kinesis message. it's garbage for responding to http requests tho. i assume 'knative' has similar characteristics

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

distributed regex

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

serverless is great for when you have a simple problem and want to turn it into a distributed systems problem

most people using serverless are already using the internet

the talent deficit posted:

aws lambda is good for when you want to do something in response to an sqs message, an sns notification, a dynamodb stream event, a cloudwatch event or a kinesis message. it's garbage for responding to http requests tho. i assume 'knative' has similar characteristics

those would be http requests though?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Boiled Water posted:

no like marketing has a bunch of word and pdf files in different version how do you keep track of them in a way that's not terrible?

you could pay for something like the enterprise version of crashplan. dunno if products like that have access controls and stuff built in, but i know they can give you nice versioned backups, incremental backups, deduplication, etc

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
back when i was the admin of epic's internal white paper portal i tried a number of solutions but always wound up back at sharepoint with versioning turned on. if you enforce edit locks and such it works about as well as you can expect and it's probably the least normie-hostile thing available. any other document store i know of isn't really intended for direct use by normies, rather as a backend for software to be built on.

don't cut off solutions just because its a meme to poo poo on microsoft. sometimes the least bad is the goodest

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ctps: really want to build some sort of basic space simulation thing, perhaps simply trying to model our own solar system at first. visually i'm imagining the overhead view in stellaris.

it sounds like a distraction but i'm pretty interested in space and space physics and among many other things i've been vaguely considering computational astronomy if i go back to school.

e: yah i'm gonna try this, does anyone know anything about it? I'm probably picking up this book: https://www.amazon.com/Astrophysics-PC-Introduction-Computational/dp/0943396433

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 4, 2018

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

do it

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

in rust

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ctps: really want to build some sort of basic space simulation thing, perhaps simply trying to model our own solar system at first. visually i'm imagining the overhead view in stellaris.

it sounds like a distraction but i'm pretty interested in space and space physics and among many other things i've been vaguely considering computational astronomy if i go back to school.

e: yah i'm gonna try this, does anyone know anything about it? I'm probably picking up this book: https://www.amazon.com/Astrophysics-PC-Introduction-Computational/dp/0943396433

Just use Kerbal, not a big deal?

:shrug:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i will not play kerbal space program. i bought it and installed it a few years ago, stayed up for 48 hours straight playing it, and then uninstalled because otherwise that game would have taken over my life.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

good news, this is my study area, more or less

can you detail a little bit more what you want to include in your simulation? the thing you mention first, visualising planetary positions, is not exactly computational astrophysics - it’s pure celestial mechanics, which are mathematics with little concern for the physical nature of objects, that astrophysics aim to understand

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

good news, this is my study area, more or less

can you detail a little bit more what you want to include in your simulation? the thing you mention first, visualising planetary positions, is not exactly computational astrophysics - it’s pure celestial mechanics, which are mathematics with little concern for the physical nature of objects, that astrophysics aim to understand

ooh that's right. what a lucky coincidence!

mostly I want to model orbits and gravitational interactions so I think you're right, celestial mechanics is probably the right starting point. It's also the right spot in terms of my current math abilities (I need to do a lot of work on my calculus).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ooh that's right. what a lucky coincidence!

mostly I want to model orbits and gravitational interactions so I think you're right, celestial mechanics is probably the right starting point. It's also the right spot in terms of my current math abilities (I need to do a lot of work on my calculus).

http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~tatum/celmechs/

this is a decent intro book. i dont particularly like it, but it served me reasonably well as a reference point for various things throughout celmech-related stuff in undergraduate

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I hit ur mum's L4 point last night if you know what I mean.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

I hit ur mum's L4 point last night if you know what I mean.

i dont mean to kinkshame but right armpit fetish is really specific

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i dont mean to kinkshame but right armpit fetish is really specific

Yeah, that's what I told her but it's like my boss tells me: "The customer is always right". Tell her I appreciated the tip and ask if she found my commemorative Apollo-Soyuz Test Project knit cock-sock. It has sentimental value to me and I think I left it on her nightstand?

:(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, that's what I told her but it's like my boss tells me: "The customer is always right". Tell her I appreciated the tip and ask if she found my commemorative Apollo-Soyuz Test Project knit cock-sock. It has sentimental value to me and I think I left it on her nightstand?

:(

you are like president beep to president beep

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you are like president beep to president beep

hosed up if true.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
remember ya'll: terrible programming, not terrible programmers. the terrible programmer thread shouldn't be a terrible place for woman programmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cinci zoo sniper posted:

http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~tatum/celmechs/

this is a decent intro book. i dont particularly like it, but it served me reasonably well as a reference point for various things throughout celmech-related stuff in undergraduate

thanks a bunch for this, looks like it's time to brush up on learn diff eqs. really stoked to have a resource who can help a bit with this :).