Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some of our best dramatic actors started out as comedy actors: Odenkirk, Cranston, Hanks, etc. so I'm willing to see what he can do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Some of our best dramatic actors started out as comedy actors: Odenkirk, Cranston, Hanks, etc. so I'm willing to see what he can do with it.

True. But the dude has been acting for three decades. You'd think someone would have given him the opportunity to do this before.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
For a low key spy thriller, Condor suprised me with an very cool looking scene of Blackhawks landing at night somewhere in Saudi Arabia and the dust creating a ring of sparks as it hits the spinning blades. That and Brendan Fraser dying

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

True. But the dude has been acting for three decades. You'd think someone would have given him the opportunity to do this before.

Maybe he didn't want to until now.

Or he has yacht payments he needs to make and his brand isn't as strong as it was 10 years ago? Who knows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fargo s4 sounds good as hell ngl. It’s even worth the perfect final scene of s3 not being the end of the whole show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
sorry Rocksicles but this Joe Rogan episode with Steven Tyler is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life. To be fair, it's only about 5% Rogan's fault. Jesus that's 2 hours I will never get back. Oh my god.

I would have turned it off but within the first 10 minutes he brags about how clever it is that he has a t-shirt that says "Go gently caress your selfie"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CeeJee posted:

For a low key spy thriller, Condor suprised me with an very cool looking scene of Blackhawks landing at night somewhere in Saudi Arabia and the dust creating a ring of sparks as it hits the spinning blades. That and Brendan Fraser dying

I just caught up with the last two episodes and was going to come in here and rave about it as well. The twist to the original story are quite good as is the modernization of it.

Joe himself is a bit bland but since he's supposed to sort of be a kind of "average Joe" that's ok. The side characters are pretty good, though Joubert is coming off like she's be far more of a liability than an asset.

The conversation that resulted from the Blackhawks sequence was probably my favorite thing on the show so far.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

sorry Rocksicles but this Joe Rogan episode with Steven Tyler is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life. To be fair, it's only about 5% Rogan's fault. Jesus that's 2 hours I will never get back. Oh my god.

I would have turned it off but within the first 10 minutes he brags about how clever it is that he has a t-shirt that says "Go gently caress your selfie"

Steven Tyler just feeling his Victoria Chase oats

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rhyno posted:

He did NURSE BETTY quite a few years back and TOP FIVE and 2 DAYS IN NEW YORK are more on the comedy-drama side of things so it's not completely unheard of.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Why are you always SHOUTING the titles of MOVIES and TV SHOWS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Steven Tyler just feeling his Victoria Chase oats

Later in the interview, he proudly shows off his "gently caress Button"

It's a button that you press and it says clever things like "gently caress off". Steven Tyler has become a walking Spencer's Gift Shop lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He's a silly old grandpa

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ant-Man and the Wasp finally came out over here and lol I had no idea Walton Goggins would have such a major role

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Ant-Man and the Wasp finally came out over here and lol I had no idea Walton Goggins would have such a major role

Can't say he doesn't do what he does really well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I forgot that movie came out. I wanna see it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's just a nice movie.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm looking forward to watching it whenever I do get around to it. I liked the first one more than most Marvel movies, I love Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly so the sequel is probably going to be my jam.

Also Michelle Pfeiffer (however briefly lmao despite seeming she would be in it more) appearing in things is nice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was good. Similar to the first one, but slightly better in every way (and much better villains, although that’s not hard to beat).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

Y’all remember that one CD poster who always bolded the titles of movies and put the year of release in parenthesis afterwards? No matter how well know it was?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

Stockholm syndromed into following some style guide that makes you look like you have brain worms, or brain worms is my guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bolding the names of shows or movies is a courtesy to people trying to catch up on a thread so it's easier to see what's being discussed at a glance

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Chris Rock plays a philly gangster for a few episodes.

I’ll show myself out

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

Bolding the names of shows or movies is a courtesy to people trying to catch up on a thread so it's easier to see what's being discussed at a glance

In a general thread like this I've found that bolding the name of a movie/show you're making an effortpost about can help for tracking. Just doing it every time a movie name shows up in a sentence, however, is overkill and retracts from the readability rather than enhancing it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, in a general thread I sometimes bold a show's name if I'm bringing it up new to talk about it. But like if I'm just talking about a bunch of shows randomly that just feels weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sometimes I bold, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't even capitalize. In chat threads I mean. Because well, they're supposed to be casual and chatty. THAT'S DA BLOODY POINT! :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
this season of Survivor Australia is already amazing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

no one has posted the Ringer article about best TV episodes in here? Discuss away!

My biggest beefs:

*the Top Chef episode listed is entertaining TV, which I suppose is the point, but it's such a terrible representation of the show that it's kinda insulting to say it's the best. It literally almost killed the entire show dead.
*Parks and Rec's finale is not the best episode of the show, as much as I enjoy it. It feels more like an epilogue than anything
*WHERE THE gently caress IS HANNIBAL?!?!?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I WAS ROOTING FOR YOU, WE WERE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU

Man I miss old ANTM lmao

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DC Murderverse posted:

no one has posted the Ringer article about best TV episodes in here? Discuss away!

My biggest beefs:

*the Top Chef episode listed is entertaining TV, which I suppose is the point, but it's such a terrible representation of the show that it's kinda insulting to say it's the best. It literally almost killed the entire show dead.
*Parks and Rec's finale is not the best episode of the show, as much as I enjoy it. It feels more like an epilogue than anything

:laffo: at The Rains of Castamere being number 3.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DC Murderverse posted:

My biggest beefs:

Where the gently caress is Veronica Mars? I'm not sure if the Justified episode they chose was the best (I think Decoy is better), but it was from the best season. And I'm not sure if they got the right episode of The Americans.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I also don’t know if I’d choose “international assassin” from The Leftovers. It was great but Season 3 was like a series of perfect episodes and I don’t think it matches up to them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m glad to be back in the US where Netflix has cheers

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Wow. Did not expect the choice for the #1 ranked episode.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Series on that list where they absolutely nailed the best episode (even if I have quibbles about where it landed on the list):

Punk'd (nothing is more emblematic and hilarious than making Justin Timberlake weep like a little baby)
Spongebob (Band Geeks is amazing)
People v OJ Simpson (This one is arguable but unlike the other arguable ones I think they made the right call here, Marcia Clark was just as important to the story as OJ was and this was her highlight)
How I Met Your Mother (Slap Bet, 'nuff said)
Nathan for You (I mean the entire show is a collective effort in pushing the bounds of reality but Finding Frances is a monumental accomplishment on a whole other level)
Oprah (Cruise on the couch is an iconic moment in the man's career)
The Jinx (i mean the entire series led to that one moment how could it be anything else?)

Series where they absolutely got it wrong:
Glee (I love the entire first season but i still cannot watch the pilot without tearing up, that should have been the one)
House (they really just needed to treat House's Head/Wilson's Heart as the same episode, one cannot fully work without the other)
Arrested Development (for a show so built on the slow build of characters and jokes to say that the second episode is the best just misses the mark)
Parks (I love The Debate personally, but I know it should not have been the finale)
Top Chef (Give me the finale of Season 4 any day, the first female Top Chef/now Iron Chef Izard v. Richard Blais The Science Guy)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

That's certainly a get. Wonder how he'll fit in, having trouble imagining him in it.

Pinball 2

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

also look i understand trying to put an emphasis on reality TV because it's just as valid a form of television as anything else, but putting any individual episode of Barefoot Contessa up there is just silly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

this season of Survivor Australia is already amazing

Aren't they filming it in Fiji?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

Aren't they filming it in Fiji?

no, it's the Australian version of Survivor

they all get sent to Staten Island

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you're going to include reality shows like Keeping up with the Kardashians on that list, how do you not include the Amy's Baking Company of Kitchen Nightmares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

no, it's the Australian version of Survivor

they all get sent to Staten Island

Savusavu Fiji. Actually Mana Island.

A sailing youtuber i follow got kicked off the island beach a couple of weeks ago.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 4, 2018