Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jippa posted:

Can you guys just throw out some names of people you like from the last 5 years or when ever really. I'm just hoovering up any suggestions and enjoying them.

Sufjan Stevens
James Blake
Father John Mistie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Corpse Patrol
Dangerface
Angst Machine

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Jippa posted:

Can you guys just throw out some names of people you like from the last 5 years or when ever really. I'm just hoovering up any suggestions and enjoying them.

Glass Animals
Purity Ring
In The Valley Below
San Cisco

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jippa posted:

Courtney Barnett
Hop Along
Mitski

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

captainOrbital posted:

Corpse Patrol
Dangerface
Angst Machine

Actually it turns out that Dangerface exists and they're not great.

But Hinds and Fever Ray are pretty great. And who doesn't love Sunflower Bean?

edit: also I forgot about Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever bc I love Australians (the not racist ones)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks guys.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol the singer of churches is like a tiny emma watson

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol the singer of churches is like a tiny emma watson

emma watson is a tiny emma watson

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Dirty Projectors

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jippa posted:

Neko Case
The Decemberists
St. Vincent
La Luz
Chromatics/Johnny Jewel
Janelle Monae (runs more toward R&B/funk)
Margo Price (old-school country, but you'd like her if you like folk/Americana)
William Elliott Whitmore (folk)
Purity Ring

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Constantines
Speedy Ortiz
Viet Cong

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some more that vaguely fits the thread:

Jeff Rosenstock
Sheer Mag
White Reaper
Savages
Pinegrove
Snail Mail
Foxing

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
We Were Promised Jetpacks have a new album out in September called "The More I Sleep, The Less I Dream". 1st single called Hanging In . It's good as hell and feels more mature than what they've done before.

Which led me to check up on The Twilight Sad and they've updated the graphic on their website and are going on tour this year which means new stuff soon. FINALLY. They're playing near me in a venue that holds about 150 people and has a low-down, in-your-face stage. :getin:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Now known as Preoccupations.

To contribute:

Alvvays
Bully
Car Seat Headrest
Lucy Dacus
Dilly Dally

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

drat, I relistened to Richard Dawson's Peasant and if that album don't have texture I don't know what's what. Solid from front to back.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Jippa posted:

more towards the pop end of the spectrum:
Sky Ferriera
Carly Rae Jepsen (this is not a joke, Emotion is the best pop album in years)
Kitty
Skylar Spence
School of Seven Bells
Blood Orange
Charli XCX

More towards the rock end of the spectrum:
Girls
Best Coast
Los Campesinos!
The Exploding Hearts (it's only one album but boy howdy what an album)
Japandroids

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The Exploding Hearts is totally punk.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

is Blackberry Smoke indie rock :q:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

more towards the pop end of the spectrum:
Carly Rae Jepsen (this is not a joke, Emotion is the best pop album in years)

I was skeptical, but the Pop Music thread last year got me to give it a chance, and now I wholeheartedly agree. It's an amazing album, especially if you like gorgeously-produced, '80s-inspired synth-pop.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Perfume Genius
Sylvan Esso

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jippa posted:

Parquet Courts
Courtney Barnett
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists (He’s been around forever but he’s one of my favorites and I’ve seen him probably 25 times at least)
The Lemon Twigs
Screaming Females

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Here's an under-the-radar pick from :canada:

I've really been enjoying Vancouverite Louise Burns' record from last year, Young Mopes. The album features a lot of really nice guitars and what sounds to me like 1980s-style production, all with a bit of alt-country tint. She has a good ear for melodic hooks. It reminds me of Rilo Kiley's Under the Blacklight at times, but I'd be interested to know how others would place her sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsfU68S1sRQ

It's not earth-shattering by any means, but it's really tight — 41 minutes of distinct, mature, memorable, well-written songs. I'd love to see her live. Check it out.

I think she hosted the CBC Radio 3 podcast for a hot second, too!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Av crew chiming in. This is still mostly true, but the shows I saw from 2008-13 were better than the ones from the past few years. Still great, but a notch or so below the peak of what I saw

I saw The National live in NZ in February. I'm really disappointed the recordings of the concert aren't available anywhere because they're definitely amazing in-person.

Hell of a first concert to ever go to as well. :shobon:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jippa posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
K.A.A.N.
Julien Baker

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i learned about Sturgill Simpson from my local indie rock radio station so im gonna post about him. i saw him play last night in iowa and it was one of the best guitar performances I've ever seen. he might have played the show differently because his organ player was sick, but for whatever reason, it was amazing. every song had absolutely blistering guitar solos, with a few songs each stretching out into several minutes of shredding. he was on fire, and the bass & drums were right there with him too. just... wow

i also posted about this in the alt-country thread sry

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

how the gently caress have none of you nerds posted CHVRCHES / J-POP in here yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9Zs_OfEgs

it sounds like a CHVRCHES song but the verses are in Japanese, it's great

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
If you're a fan of artists like Broadcast and Jane Weaver, then you should definitely check out the new Gulp album, All Good Wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqIrDSD_LQ

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some more that vaguely fits the thread:

Snail Mail

that's a weird way to spell soccer mommy

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Jippa posted:

Kevin Morby
Mikal Cronin
Baxter Dury
Young Fathers
Parquet Courts
Protomartyr
John Grant
Other Lives

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

landgrabber posted:

that's a weird way to spell soccer mommy

Playing female artists off against each other is super loving lame.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

*uses ableist slur* look at how woke i am u guys

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

you're right, clearly i, a woman, am sexist and just trying to play artists against each other for no reason, and not brcause soccer mommy and snail mail have intense overlap and you can't seem to talk about soccer mommy without someone bringing up snail mail. it is,,, not,, because of that.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lmao really stretching the definition of slur there pal

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

What?!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

What?!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
“Lame,” like “idiot” and “moron” and “dumb,” has old medical origins. He is not making the argument in good faith. Ignore it and move on.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
finally listening to the Let's Eat Grandma album.

poo poo bangs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Henchman of Santa posted:

“Lame,” like “idiot” and “moron” and “dumb,” has old medical origins. He is not making the argument in good faith. Ignore it and move on.

Yes my "what!?"'s were supposed to be interpreted as "those are both super loving dumb things to say." Not actually inquisitive ;).

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Jippa posted:

TORRES
Papa
BLOXX
Allison Crutchfield
Brett

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's weird to me I found a wave of pop singing young women on Spotify looking up the artist King Princess at work because of a coworker. They all dress like uber hipster mac demarco fans but play Top 10 Hits style pop.

We're living in a strange time. All the young 20 somethings at my work dress like they bought their clothing from the sears catalog in 1994 as well. These are people who couldn't name any of the indie poo poo you all are listing right now but look like they'd know the deepest cuts ever. Instead they are blasting Post Malone and Cardi B.

T Bowl fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

T Bowl posted:

We're living in a strange time. All the young 20 somethings at my work dress like they bought their clothing from the sears catalog in 1994 as well. These are people who couldn't name any of the indie poo poo you all are listing right now but look like they'd know the deepest cuts ever. Instead they are blasting Post Malone and Cardi B.

I guess maybe don't judge peoples music taste based on their appearance then?