Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

couldcareless posted:

I need to replace the casters on my aeron. Is there a good affordable source for these or should I just shell out for the $15 a pop from Herman Miller directly?

I have carpets and I like the xbox-huge casters from Amazon.
$60 so not much cheaper than H-M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
So which chair do I buy this week? Delivery to Australia essential

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Rollerblade casters are definitely worth a try no matter what surface you're on. Even if they aren't functionally better than anything else on actual carpet, I've yet to find a way to get a cord tangled up in one the way normal casters do

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Markus appears to be $100 off right now if anyone was waiting to pull the trigger on one. To clarify, it's just the vissle grey color that is discounted.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

SpaceAceJase posted:

So which chair do I buy this week? Delivery to Australia essential

Arki Environments have Steelcase chairs in Brisbane. I bought a Gesture from them with a very minor discount through a friend. It's not my ideal chair, but it's not giving me any problems.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Are there any steelcase/aeron knockoffs for us poors? My local liquidators are selling for the amazing discount of 90% retail (not 90% off) for aerons because we're an expanding tech hub so all the startups keep buying them all. (Orlando, FL)

I've got a nice Aeron at work but my lovely office max mesh at home is killing my back.

E: No, there are some discounts but $400 for a used chair is way more than I'm willing to spend. I'm looking at a $300 Leap V2 maybe.

Harik fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 15, 2018

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

couldcareless posted:

I need to replace the casters on my aeron. Is there a good affordable source for these or should I just shell out for the $15 a pop from Herman Miller directly?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTIG4GE $40 for a set of 5 roller blade style casters. Built like tanks but they might raise your chair level a little though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’d like a chair without this faux leather poo poo on it because mine is just flaking off everywhere. Is mesh decent for hours long use or is it just a gimmick?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

skooma512 posted:

I’d like a chair without this faux leather poo poo on it because mine is just flaking off everywhere. Is mesh decent for hours long use or is it just a gimmick?

Aeron meshes can last though they are abrasive for pants. I've had the seams on my back pockets go.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mesh is great for ventilation as well as the material on the Embody which is soft yet breathable

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Hed posted:

Mesh is great for ventilation as well as the material on the Embody which is soft yet breathable

Mesh on the embody is pretty good. I didn't like how far I would sink into the aeron's mesh though.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Gromit posted:

Arki Environments have Steelcase chairs in Brisbane. I bought a Gesture from them with a very minor discount through a friend. It's not my ideal chair, but it's not giving me any problems.

I'm also in Brisbane. I'll check that place out, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's the go-to online store for these refurbished chairs in Canada?

We're starting to outfit our home office and since one of us works from home 1-2 times a week, and possibly more in the future, the stuff actually has to be good. This is in Halifax if there are also stores in the area that anyone magically knows about.

They need to be able to go really short though, like so that a 5'2" woman can comfortably reach the floor. This is a tall order in office furniture, apparently. :v:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuyop posted:

We're starting to outfit our home office and since one of us works from home 1-2 times a week, and possibly more in the future, the stuff actually has to be good. This is in Halifax if there are also stores in the area that anyone magically knows about.

They need to be able to go really short though, like so that a 5'2" woman can comfortably reach the floor. This is a tall order in office furniture, apparently. :v:

It does exist at that height. I have a whole office worth of furniture to get rid of (in Toronto) included desks, chairs, conference tables, cubicles, and some of them would fit a shorter person. The companies that normally liquidate stuff like this are saturated though and aren't interested in more, so it's proving to be tough to clear things out.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Went down to the office furniture retailer dudes and tried out Steelcase chairs. Was mostly set on the Gesture but had to compare it to the Leap because you just have to try out different chairs. Went with the Gesture and I'm loving it. Only fault I've found with it so far is that I'd like another position between no/minimal recline and the lowest setting of recline. Well, that and I'd love it if the adjustable arms had smaller steps of adjustment.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

It's probably going to be better to get a footrest for your wife to use.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

~Coxy posted:

It's probably going to be better to get a footrest for your wife to use.

Truth. I'm 5'5" and if my chair is low enough for my feet to sit on the floor like in the optimal ergonomic chair sitting diagrams, then I'm sitting too low for the desk.

As seen here:

It's easier to use a footrest than to get a short chair and a short desk.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I ordered an embody from a certified dealer for 892 after taxes. Thanks for the advice of going to a certified dealer and asking for the small business discount from somebody in this thread.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I found an Aeron chair at a Goodwill outlet for $5. Other than a little rocking and a missing lumbar support pad, it's in pretty good condition. It's a medium from 1998.

Anything I should consider checking on this chair? The minor rocking seems to be from looseness near the base along the center column, not sure if I can do anything about it but it's one of those things where I can't notice it unless I'm trying to make it rock.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's rocking then it's either the gas strut that's broken, or the hole in the base has worn down. If you can lift the strut out you should be able to pack the hole out a bit with strips of paper to remove any play.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I used to have an Ikea Malkolm and an Allak before that but am now on my second Millberget where a frame bar has worn completely through the padding and is now poking my butt in about half a year. If I have about €250 that I can afford to spend on a chair, what should I be looking at to buy that:

A. Doesn't need to be replaced every 3 months
B. Ships to/is available in the Netherlands
C. Preferably isn't mesh.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Any first-hand reviews/opinions on https://www.autonomous.ai/product/ergonomic-chair ? It's about the top of my budget, and need something for 8hr/day use.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm sitting in that chair right now! It is better than anything else I tried in that price range. Build quality is good and there are a lot of adjustment points. IMO the seat pad is a little thin, but other than that no complaints really

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ryaath posted:

Any first-hand reviews/opinions on https://www.autonomous.ai/product/ergonomic-chair ? It's about the top of my budget, and need something for 8hr/day use.

My company just bought a ton of these, and yeah, the pad is thin; I weigh around 250lbs and I feel the baseboard when I sit in one, which is an absolute show-stopper. If you're near that weight I advise you to try and find one to sit in.

I was pleased by the number of available adjustments and would have liked to use the chair if it weren't for the seat.

Oh, I also seem to recall that its max height felt a bit low to me (I'm 6'4"), but I may be wrong about that as we were evaluating several chairs at the time.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 16, 2018

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

so my ikea markus's seat locking mechanism has withered away and now it'll full jolt back one gear at a time all the way down if i give it even the slightest bit of push, so I think I'm due for a new chair. I might finally take the plunge and do the craigslist, other than the herman miller embody and the steelcase leap, is there anything that is generally recommended as Just Get This quality? Or rather, anything else that would be decent enough to sit on under $300

in addition, what exactly differentiates v1 and v2 for the steelcase leap? I see a bunch of v1s at around $200 on craigslist but v2 seems to be being put up at around 250 so are the improvements not as pronounced or is this more likely a case of fake deal?

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 24, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Is this considered a chair and would it be worth buying? Because if it was $1000 or less I might consider it. Comes out later this year.

https://twitter.com/oscarcabot/status/1034851995792941056

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

Is this considered a chair and would it be worth buying? Because if it was $1000 or less I might consider it. Comes out later this year.

Just lol if you think that will be under 1k

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

KidDynamite posted:

Just lol if you think that will be under 1k

Yeah I know, more like 2k to 3k. Nothing like that is ever cheap.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Plus think of the cost of the curtains to hide it if normies visit.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Rexxed posted:

Plus think of the cost of the curtains to hide it if normies visit.

Hide it from everyone except JP from Grandma's Boy.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Yeahhhh if you think it'll be $2-3k, sorry, just keep going. Similar systems have a floor of $5K, not including monitors. With fancy LEDs, a name brand, and mechanical reclining, you're probably looking at $10-15k for that.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

f#a# posted:

Yeahhhh if you think it'll be $2-3k, sorry, just keep going. Similar systems have a floor of $5K, not including monitors. With fancy LEDs, a name brand, and mechanical reclining, you're probably looking at $10-15k for that.

So I have to win the lottery basically.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Hamelekim posted:

So I have to win the lottery basically.

Just work hard and you can make it. Basically these systems come at a price-point that if you need to ask how much they cost, you can't afford them.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Hamelekim posted:

Rig blocks access to crotch, 2/10

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
It doesn't even have VR goggles or a Fleshlight mount, which you're definitely gonna need because anyone who sees that monstrosity will run for the hills.

Honestly, gaming chairs are garbage marketed to idiots. What kind of chairs do people who spend all day on their rear end (developers, accountants, etc) have? Steelcase, Herman Miller, etc. Because they're ergonomic and comfortable to sit in for a long time.

If you're ever thinking about spending money on something you're gonna spend a significant amount of time on your rear end in, why wouldn't you buy something which has had that in mind for decades?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Gaming chair companies have done quite an amazing job partnering with a shitload of popular streamers. Impressionable young gamers who watch a lot of streams (i.e. all of them) see nothing but gaming chairs all day. I bet their sales numbers are better than ever.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I own a Herman Miller embody chair so I don't need it. But being able to recline like that would do wonders for my back. The less pressure the better.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

TheEye posted:

Gaming chair companies have done quite an amazing job partnering with a shitload of popular streamers. Impressionable young gamers who watch a lot of streams (i.e. all of them) see nothing but gaming chairs all day. I bet their sales numbers are better than ever.

I went to a design within reach to test out an embody before I bought blind and the salesperson asked if I was a gamer. According to her a lot of gamers go in to purchase that chair I was actually very surprised by that claim since like you said all the streamers are partnered with poo poo gaming chair companies.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KidDynamite posted:

I went to a design within reach to test out an embody before I bought blind and the salesperson asked if I was a gamer. According to her a lot of gamers go in to purchase that chair I was actually very surprised by that claim since like you said all the streamers are partnered with poo poo gaming chair companies.

Im pretty sure most gamers have already had the gamer chair and now want something better for sitting 6+ hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fauxtool posted:

Im pretty sure most gamers have already had the gamer chair and now want something better for sitting 6+ hours

instead of doing the smart thing i mentioned above (even if the 200 price points ended up being false), I decided to get roped into a massdrop for a $100 gaming chair that I am wholly unimpressed with. Gaming chairs are a loving scam I would have genuinely had a better experience buying an office depot chair tbh.